NvaGvUp 15-Sep-17
bad karma 15-Sep-17
nowheels 16-Sep-17
Gray Ghost 16-Sep-17
bad karma 16-Sep-17
Gray Ghost 16-Sep-17
15-Sep-17

bad karma's Link
Okay, this is more like a beef stew than a chili. No tomatoes. No beans. Just 7 different peppers, meat, chocolate, coffee and beer, onion and spices. No kidding. And it's wonderful. Best heat ever....at the back of your tongue, it starts slow and does not overpower the dish. One friend texted me to say "don't tell my mom, but this is the best stew I've ever had." Would be great with your elk/deer/etc. roasts. And easy to make. Big winner. Spice is a 3-4 on a scale of ten....

15-Sep-17
I saved this recipe. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks!

15-Sep-17
I did brown the meat, but just tossed everything into a crockpot, high for about 3 hours and then low, and went to bed. Perfection the next morning.

15-Sep-17
Kevin,

If it's even half as good as your wild game chili, I can't wait to try it when I get home from a hunter

15-Sep-17
I gave some to a trainer that I'm working with. His text: "Don't tell my mom but this is best stew I've ever had."

16-Sep-17
That sounds delicious. I have a couple of roasts that need to be cooked to make room in the freezer now that bow season has started. I think I know what recipe to use them in!

16-Sep-17
Sounds delicious, Kevin.

Speaking of stew, we made a pot of rabbit stew, over an open fire, at elk camp last weekend. As with most of my meals, I didn't follow a recipe, but I recall it included a couple of habaneros, a can of beer, wild porcini mushrooms that I had picked that day, an assortment of vegetables, can of tomato paste, can of beef broth, and 2 browned and deboned bunnies.

It slow-boiled most of the afternoon. When it boiled down, we just added more beer. I probably couldn't reproduce it if I tried, but it was the best damn stew I have ever had! My hunting buddy is still raving about it. ;-)

Matt

16-Sep-17
That sounds good, too, Matt. I could see trying that with fresh grouse as well, and being darn happy at dinner time.

16-Sep-17
Yes, mountain chickens (grouse) are also one of our favorites.

Kevin, If you don't know, I highly recommend getting familiar with what a wild porcini mushroom looks like. You can usually find them on damp north facing hillsides in our Colorado high country. I like them better than morels. The Italians consider porcini mushrooms the most flavorful of all mushrooms.

Matt

• Sitka Gear