Solo 03-Oct-17
Annony Mouse 03-Oct-17
Solo 03-Oct-17
Joey Ward 03-Oct-17
Solo 03-Oct-17
Solo 03-Oct-17
Annony Mouse 04-Oct-17
02-Oct-17
Was my first Tom Petty album. Enjoyed many more since then.

Hate to hear he passed today at 66. Just finished up what was supposed to be his last tour.

RIP Tom.

02-Oct-17
Great music. RIP

02-Oct-17
Good tunes, not much into his politics and gun ownership views. Uncle Ted might have to come up with some new Tom Petty ammo.

02-Oct-17
Never heard of him until his passing showed up in the news.

R.I.P.

02-Oct-17
Saw him in Sacramento in the Early 90s, great band, it was obvious he loved being onstage. There's a great Documentary about him on Netflix, he was one of the first to stand up to the Record Companies to keep the rights to his own music (the premise for the song "I won't back down"). I've covered quite a few of his tunes over the Years in my own cover band. His music will live on. RIP, Tom!

02-Oct-17
I got to see him with Crosby,Stills,Nash & Young, Sammy Hagger and Tracy Chapman. It was an all acoustic concert, but the TP & HB had a base and snare drum.

02-Oct-17
Well I just read the Torpedo's aren't dammed yet. Tom Petty is not dead.

""Rock star Tom Petty is reportedly “clinging to life” after he was hospitalized and taken off life support Monday afternoon; a report from CBS News prematurely declared that he had died.""

02-Oct-17
He smoked since he was 17 ,said he knew the price to be paid and refused to pretend that he would ever try to stop. Gotta respect a guy that lives on his own terms.

02-Oct-17
In kyles defense My sister in law is my age and would have no clue who Tom Petty is. Only listens to classical music.

02-Oct-17
Played basketball with with in Gainesville one day when I went to school there. He played random pickup games around town with his old friends. Didn't say much but was very cool.

02-Oct-17
Sad to hear that. I became a Tom Petty fan at a young age. My uncle was a huge Tom Petty fan. So many great songs from him. Refugee is probably one of my favorites.

02-Oct-17
My wife and I were Tom Petty fans. May he rest in Peace. He was take to the hospital unconscious. No brain activity so they took him off life support from what I read.

02-Oct-17
Pat,

I am serious.

I divorced myself from the popular culture a long time ago because I was fed up with its' social decadence, the constant crapping on my values, and the political correctness.

It seems in doing so, I may have missed some good folks

My bad, but on the whole, it was worth the price.

02-Oct-17
Read years ago that he took guitar lessons from Don Felder. Learning to play an instrument is one thing, writing songs is entirely different. Tom wrote some great songs. But thanks to Don too. :-)

02-Oct-17
Tom Petty is still alive, and is reportedly on life support after having a heart attack.

I got to hang with Tom in Gainesville, FL a few times back in the 70's. I won't reveal everything we did back in those days, but he really liked riding my Yamaha crotch rocket. He admitted that it scared him some though....

May you pull through this well, Tom!!!!

02-Oct-17
I'm with Kyle. Never heard of Tom Petty until today. My bad. Rest in peace.

03-Oct-17
Guess knowing who the Traveling Wilbury's were wouldn't be much help? How about a Kevin Costner movie called The Postman? Nothing there either? =D

Very talented song writer and performer. Hope he pulls through but not looking good. Thoughts and prayers for him and family.

03-Oct-17
I just awoke to hear that Tom didn't make it through the night. We'll miss you, Tom!

03-Oct-17
Sad news, he was a great artist.

03-Oct-17
Kyle,

Doesn't this song ring a bell?

Matt

03-Oct-17
Great songwriter. Love his work. Really liked the 1st Mudcrutch album but didn't even know there was a 2nd.

03-Oct-17
Pig Doc,

Rumor has it Kyle's never heard of the Beatles or the Rolling Stones, either. LOL!!

Matt

03-Oct-17

jdee's Link
WTF....How do you live in America and never heard of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ??? Elvis who.....

03-Oct-17
Been a fan since I can remember. I'm 43 so Tom Petty has been popular and on the radio as long as I can remember and one of a few artists that has been totally relevant that entire time. Small company for sure.

About 10 Years ago I was at a really cool party in a little condo down by the beach in Carlsbad, CA. Place was jam packed. There was a band playing Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover songs. Everybody kept clanking glasses, toasting, saluting this tall guy with thick curly hair. Before I know it tall guy gets on stage and plays a few. It was Ron Blair, bass player for the Heartbreakers. Stood inches from him.

03-Oct-17
Oh heck Heat......thought for a minute you was going to say Mike Campbell. :-)

I was more of an Epstein fan, myself.

03-Oct-17
Heat has it right; Petty was one of those guys that was an iconic artist his WHOLE career. He wasn't just milking a few hits or a couple of good records for decades after the fact. He continually put out excellent music.

03-Oct-17
It might've sounded like I've been bragging about meeting Tom, but that ain't all the facts. In fact, I blew that relationship.

Just thinking way back here... Tom's cousin was named Sonny, I think, or so was told by him. We met at Sonny's BBQ one hot Florida summer day on the North side of Gainesville, so I always kinda wondered about the validity of his name....lol.

Sonny called Tom and his wife, Tarzan & Jane. So I called Tom's wife Jane. She seemed comforted by that, so I figured that was actually her name. Who knows?

I just know this much.... Tom was pretty cool. He & I got along pretty well, but he seemed quite preoccupied. And that didn't really agree with me back then. I believed in being upfront & honest about things, and I sensed that wasn't returned back to me by that family.

So one day I was compelled to call Sonny, "Sun-Punk", because he seemed a bit dishonest, or maybe it was something else.... Spoiled a bit, maybe? But whatever it was, I didn't like it. And I guess I was a young jerk who was too outspoken back in that era....dang it anyway...lol. So I kept calling him, "Sun-Punk", and he despised it. Imagine that....lol

Looking back, I wish I had myself together more than I did then. Dang testosterone.... Not that I was a really bad guy, but in retrospect, I now wish I'd have been in the frame of mind to have been able to have maintained communication with that family.

Oh well, things are as they are at this point. But I'd be happy to fly down to Florida right now for Tom's funeral.

Just thinkin' back here..... Thanks for allowing me to pontificate on this publically. Just gettin' older, I reckon...lol

03-Oct-17

Annony Mouse's Link
Netflix: Running Down a Dream

"Serious Petty fans should check out Peter Bogdonovich’s excellent 2006 documentary “Runnin’ Down a Dream.” All four hours are streaming on Netflix, and all four hours fly right by…"

03-Oct-17
My favorite song, Jack. Although I still enjoy, "Born a Rebel" very much....

03-Oct-17
First wife was Janie Benyo.

Tom was friends and played with Tom Leadon. Bernie’s brother. Bernie was with the eagles. Hence Don Felder association.

I think all these guys knew the Skynard boys. And probably the guys in .38 Special.

Maybe even the Molly Hatchet boys.

Back when music was made and played by guys that were real musicians. :-)

03-Oct-17
Wow, Joey!!! I'm a bit teary eyed right now. Thank you! I loved them all, and still do.

03-Oct-17
BTW, see those cars in the "Born a Rebel" video I posted? I got to drive 2 of them. And I never wrecked. But never won either.

Was too damned busy keepin' myself from wreckin' them 'round that fast track to win.... lol ... Since I had no ownership stake in the game, I couldn't get aggressive enough to win. And I knew it way back then.... (See there, I was basically a nice guy back then despite what (seemingly) everyone else said about me...lol)

But ya shoulda seen me on my 350 Yamaha on Saturday nights in the late 70's at Orlando Speed World (East Hwy 50 - Bithlo, FL) though. I won so often that I became despised by the big bore Kawasaki's right quick, till I grew outta it (prematurely, looking back...lol)

04-Oct-17

• Sitka Gear