keepemsharp 10-Oct-17
Anony Mouse 10-Oct-17
Hunting5555 11-Oct-17
Woods Walker 11-Oct-17
Anony Mouse 11-Oct-17
Woods Walker 11-Oct-17
07-Oct-17
"WTF is a bump stock?!"

Thats the question I asked when I first heard the reports of the Vegas shooting. Granted, I'm not into the high capacity thing, but I'm not completely ignorant to it; so I asked around, and most folks I asked weren't familiar with them either.

Suddenly, the entire country is trying to get them but their out of stock! (Lierally!) So now I'm curious. Is everyone scrambling to get them before they get banned, or do they want one now that the media has told us all about them?

07-Oct-17
I checked them out way before the shooting happened and they were out of them and taking orders. This was from two different companies.

07-Oct-17
A bump stock is a spring coiled stock. That allows a semi automatic to fire almost as quickly as a fully automatic. Using the AR platform rifle to use it recoil to force the stock back quicker (the stock moves).. go to youtube.com they'll have a video of it...

07-Oct-17
A bump stock is a spring coiled stock. That allows a semi automatic to fire almost as quickly as a fully automatic. Using the AR platform rifle to use it recoil to force the stock back quicker (the stock moves).. go to youtube.com they'll have a video of it...

07-Oct-17
I first heard of bump stocks roughly 6-7 years ago from a former work acquaintance. He was a big time gun enthusiast and I believe he was into some of those major rapid-fire shooting events the last I knew.

Surprisingly enough, he was a huge outspoken Obama supporter. Occasionally we would debate certain leftist policies, and it was blatantly clear that he was utterly duped by the MSM, and was convinced they were non-partisan, and represented the majority of public opinion.

And when I'd quote Winston Churchill's famous saying, "There is no such thing as public opinion. There is only published opinion", he would compliment Obama for sending Churchill's bust back to England....lol

07-Oct-17
I had never heard of bump stocks either until this incident. I still have no desire to own one. Firing fully auto was kind of fun while Uncle Sam was buying me the ammo. Since I buy my own now, it is not nearly as appealing. ;)

07-Oct-17
You folks may also want to google/check out hell-fire triggers, actually goes on the trigger. They came out with the hell-fire prior to the bump stock - in the 90's, does the same thing.

07-Oct-17
This thing was approved during the Obama admin without any legislative action. Why does it now take legislative action to get rid of the dam things? Our pres should just tell ATF they are NOW illegal and all the nutso demos can go back and debate health care, immigration, and taxes, easy fix.

07-Oct-17
Bypassing constitutional legislative routes is standard operational procedure for the democrat party.

That fact alone is ironclad evidence that they are nothing more than a mob of tyrants. Yet our local resident leftists here remain willfully blind to such simple truths.....

07-Oct-17
Right on the money Solo. As for the bump stock i herd about them last year sold out all the time . But like the range master said you can't hit anything on full auto.

08-Oct-17
I think TD did a great job explaining them here: http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=1&threadid=466369&MESSAGES=416&FF=CMT#4464226

The NRA has already initiated discussions about more scrutiny of these devices. Personally, I'm about as pro-2A as anyone, the whole concept of "sensible gun rights" makes me nuts. That said, these things actually convert legitimate semi-auto ARs into full auto. If there's ever been a time in my life I would actually agree with banning anything firearms related, this is it.

Honestly, I can't see any way to justify it. More importantly, if all us gun nuts say, pretty much what's been said here, it's something we don't even knew existed until now, and they should at least be subject to class-III regulations, it would go a long way.

08-Oct-17
You don't need a bump stock to bump fire a semi-auto. I guess we'll have to ban fingers, too.

Matt

08-Oct-17
I read about them when they first came out. I definitely did not want one. They will destroy accuracy and mess up your AR 15. I use my AR 15 to shoot ground hogs and need accuracy. Also, one shot, one kill is my motto. If you remember the guys on the roof at Benghazi said they used the semi auto switch. They had limited ammo and managed to kill 60 some terrorist, shooting a bunch in the head. The marine I saw interviewed on Fox said, "One shot, One kill." Actually the fully auto Thompson sub machine was made the make soldiers feel safer, Kill rates per shot with the old bolt action rifles were far better.

08-Oct-17
Go ahead and make them illegal, won't change a thing. There is not much to them, Anyone that wants one could build one . The NY SAFE Act requires everyone that owns a so called, "Assualt rifle," is supposed to register them. Because of mass civil disobedience ,NYS Police are vague releasing the number of registered rifles. They estimate as many as 1million assault rifles in NY state, and less than 75 thousand have been registered. Further more according to the SAFE Act, if you remove the pistol grip on most Assualt rifles, it is no longer considered a Assualt rifle. Go figure ???? Bottom line , no gun law is going to stop these horrific acts of violence.

08-Oct-17
"But like the range master said you can't hit anything on full auto."

"They will destroy accuracy and mess up your AR 15."

Heard on the radio this morning that the "note" in his hotel room was calculations to help his accuracy. Hmmmm

This bump stock thing is "feel good" legislation for the rubes that don't know any better.....

08-Oct-17
Make it illegal immediately and eliminate the Dems talking point and get on to the real issues at hand.

08-Oct-17
Nothing, repeat, NOTHING with eliminate a Dem's talking point about guns. What they really want is NO guns.

08-Oct-17
"Heard on the radio this morning that the "note" in his hotel room was calculations to help his accuracy. Hmmmm"

I had the same thought when I read that g-man. "Hmmm" indeed! There's so much we DON'T know about this and things like these range calculations amplify that considerably. The only thing I can think of is that he did these calculations when he was planning the attack with the intent of "sniping", but then unltimately went to "spray and pray". When you use a bump stock you are NOT aiming so the precision figuring would be irrelvant.

08-Oct-17
Elevation would be the only reason to calculate the distance to the target. If you know the distance you can check the trajectory on most boxes of cartridges to see how much the bullet drops at various ranges.

08-Oct-17
I'm very curious about what "calculations" they found. All Paddock needed was the horizontal distance from the hotel to the concert venue, also known as true ballistic range (TBR). Heck, he could have paced that off on the ground beforehand, or used a TBR calculating range finder.

Not exactly rocket science.

Matt

08-Oct-17
And windage... if he was really aiming at specific targets. A 10mph cross wind could be 2ft of drift at 400yds. And the ballistic calcs almost double going from 400 - 500 yards.

08-Oct-17
True. But as WW stated, exactly what ballistic calcs do you need to spray and pray?

Lots of unanswered questions.

Matt

08-Oct-17
"Make it illegal immediately and eliminate the Dems talking point and get on to the real issues at hand."

What about next time when the Democrats whine about _________?

Give in again?

Educate your base and screw the Democraps. It is not like you are going to convert them.

08-Oct-17
tracers with the gun he was using would have told him more than anything.

08-Oct-17
YES! And he HAD tracers. But is there evidence that he actually used them?

If I were in that situation I would also prefer the tracer rounds, especially with rapid fire.

08-Oct-17
He had tracers?? And he shot at the airplane fuel tank?? But did not use the tracers for either the rapid fire or incendiary purposes?? This keeps getting stranger....

08-Oct-17
There was an interview with a cop on his second day on the job. He was shot but survived. He said as he was trying to take cover he could see tracer rounds coming in behind him.

08-Oct-17
I don't think the Dem's want to get rid of all guns. Like typical self-centered little tyrants, they simply want all of the guns in their own corner.

08-Oct-17
Tracer burn out on the 5.56 at about 500 yd. Trajectory of a tracer is also different at long ranges because the bullet gets lighter as the tracer burns.

Terry

08-Oct-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

08-Oct-17
The sheriff said he had tracer ammo but didn't use it.

08-Oct-17
One thing that gets overlooked is that obama had the chance to regulate them and chose not to. It is obama's fault!

09-Oct-17
I was talking to my Dad about bump stocks yesterday and he reminded me of this story. About 84 or 5 years ago, Dad begged my grandfather to let him shoot Papa's Browning 12 ga shotgun. Dad swore up and down at 5 or 6 years old, he was plenty big enough to shoot it. One day Papa finally handed it to him and said "Go ahead, shoot it." It was filled to the brim. Dad took careful aim and touched it off. It kicked the fire out of him but he never turned loose of it - or the trigger - so it cycled the next round and the next... By the time the gun was empty, Dad was flat of his back with the shotgun pointed straight up in the air and Papa was laughing so hard the tears were streaming down his face. Dad said it was years before he ever asked to shoot that gun again.

10-Oct-17
Bump stocks are kinda fun but way to expensive to shoot! Very bad for your gun and you can't hardly hit squat.

We should just make it illegal to murder? If he had wanted to kill more people he should of flew his little plane into the crowd. I am for banning these bump stocks as long as cars trucks airplanes knives and rocks are banned! Wait Raven crossbows too! Way too dangerous.

Time to move along.

10-Oct-17
A guy I know had one on his kids AR maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It was not at all impressive. He also had a light on the gun. It was all stupid silly.

10-Oct-17
I looked at them a few years ago and they were a little too gimmicky for me, which is how I think most anyone with a decent amount of experience with an AR would feel. Sure, going full-auto is fun, but really serves no practical purpose. It's one of those "tacticool" kind of devices, but for me, if I want full-auto I'm going to save up and buy an actual select fire gun. That would be more for the novelty. Ask anyone with any real experience as an "operator" how many times they've used an AR/M4 on full-auto in an actual combat situation and if the answer isn't "zero times" it'll be pretty damn close.

As far as bypassing the legislative process, that would be the best scenario IMO. You open up Pandora's box if a gun control bill finds it's way to the floor and who knows what else besides bump-stocks will be attached to it. A much better outcome will be the ATF saying they've revised their ruling and banned these stocks and leave it at that.

10-Oct-17
We already lost this piece of sanity when BHO approved them without legislation, so now just get rid them without legislation.

10-Oct-17
Question OTD: banned by fiat from BATF or by legislation, owners of what once we're legal items are now in possession of an illegal item.

Should the government be required to establish a buy back item...or those "once legal" bumpstocks be grandfathered in in a similar program that NFA items as done in 1986?

Just making them illegal leaves much unresolved. Requiring them to be turned in would be as effective as if the government made possession of ARs illegal...and said that all AR owners must turn theirs in to the feds.

11-Oct-17
My son has actually shot a bump stock. He says there is a real trick to shooting them. Pull back with trigger hand while pushing forward with your stock hand. He said it takes some practice to figure it out and getting it to work as intended.

11-Oct-17
I had a thought about these things. I never really knew what these things were until a week and a half ago. I'd vaguely heard about them but overall knew nothing. Since the shooting I now do know. One of those things I learned is that you DON'T need a bump stock to rapid fire a semi-auto (thanks youtube!).

But from what I have seen about rapid firing without a bump stock it also looks not rral safe either. I sincerely HOPE that there is NOT an increase in accidental shootings because of people trying this technique. I can see shooting ranges posting signs that prohibit it. So in that sense maybe banning these things is NOT a good idea because it will encourge more people to do it the "redneck way"???

The other thing that would stop it is to have the price of ammo keep going up! One of the thoughts I had while watching someone rapid fire a center fire was that it went through money faster than a night at the strip club! ;-)

11-Oct-17

11-Oct-17
SSDD.....again!!!

• Sitka Gear