bluedog 10-Oct-17
Jim in Ohio 10-Oct-17
Joey Ward 10-Oct-17
AZOnecam 11-Oct-17
Glunt@work 11-Oct-17
slade 11-Oct-17
TD 12-Oct-17
09-Oct-17
Ive been thinking about purchasing a wall tent for when I do my 1 to 2 week long elk hunting trips in idaho. Ive spent many nights under a camper shell in the back of my truck. The lack of space comfort and warmth can start to wear on a guy if the weather is bad. Ive been thinking about a wall tent. I know some come with a wood stove set up. Im just curious what everyone likes to use and how they heat it. Propane would be awesome but I have no idea how efficient that is at keeping the tent above freezing or If I have to worry about off gassing. thanks for the advice.

09-Oct-17
Some guys I knew used a wood stove. If you can't get wood where you are bring some pellets and you can get them lots of places. Tractor supply carries them. They tell me the wood stoves make it real cozy but make sure it is a tent designed for a stove.

09-Oct-17
Wood stoves are the only way to go. You will get 100 different opinions on which one to get. Same on where to have your jack sewn in and which tent is the best. I have been in many and they all work. Get tall walls and don’t have your floor sewn in, get a rain fly . If you are camping out of the truck get the EMT angles and make your frame . Get a rain vestibule or a second tent for a cook shack if you have more than 3 or 4 people. It’s a lot more comfortable if you get bad weather. Last and not least if you don’t have a place to hang it to dry you will not be happy the next year.

09-Oct-17
Pretty much everything Whitey said. Wood stoves and wall tents go together like peas and carrots,

09-Oct-17
Wood stove is the way to go, and make sure you bring along someone to put wood on the fire in the middle of the night while you sleep. My sons like the fact that I don't sleep much, and put wood in the fire in the middle of the night. One year I made the mistake of using my friends propane heater, when we just used the tent for one night. The next day the outside of the tent was dry, so I put it away. Turns out the propane got parts of the inside wet, and it left mold stains on the inside of the tent.

10-Oct-17
You can always cook ranch beans and then keep a pilot light lit, just saying.....lol

10-Oct-17

Gray Ghost's embedded Photo
Gray Ghost's embedded Photo
This.

Matt

10-Oct-17
I have a Cylinder Stove for my 14x14 pyramid tent. Its a great stove and if you set the dampers correct and use good wood you can get a all night burn. I would also look at 3 Dog Stoves, I like the way the chimney attaches to the stove.

10-Oct-17
For many years, when I was younger, I heated my house with a wood stove. It may sound ridiculous but wood heat just feels better than heat from heating oil. May just be in my mind but my wife agreed with me. My kids used to love to go in the woods with me to help haul fire wood. They were good stackers.

10-Oct-17
Warm morning wood/coal stove. Wood rocks but, coal is king. We have a 30 pound firebox model that we build a wood fire in and get it going well. Then we hit it with some lump coal and we are good for 8 hours. I'm talking underwear and flip flops in cold weather.

10-Oct-17
I doubt he's gonna have access to coal on his elk hunt. You got good advice, but I would have certainly put this on the Big Game Forum.

10-Oct-17
I understand that. But, I read where he was curious to what everyone was using.

The west is full of coal mines as well. Plus, he ain't likely packing in a wall tent. We carry our camp supply in 5 gallon buckets. A bucket a day for 14 days. We always have left over because the fire iburns out during the day. When we are hunting. God Bless

10-Oct-17
My banjo player in my band heated his huge log cabin with a wood/coal stove. You have to have a stove that is rated for coal. He said he could bank it and didn't have to add coal for a long long time.

10-Oct-17
"If you can't get wood where you are bring some pellets "

You've been given bad information. Pellets require a forced air combustion chamber with metered pellet feed to work. They will not function at all in a conventional wood or coal stove.

29 degrees here this morning...working in my shop with temp at 73. Got my dual fuel WonderWood idling along stoked with 3 year old oak. Nice for an old man. ;)

10-Oct-17
The guys that film those Alaskan shows live in tents with wood stoves.

10-Oct-17
Saw that last night too Jim. Did you see what happens when you burn wet/green wood in one?

Bluedog, 3 years old? Man, you put some wood up.

:-)

11-Oct-17
Easier and cheaper way is get Kodiak Canvas tent. A little cheaper than a wall tent, super easy to set up, heat it up with buddy heater.

Next step up, Montana wall tent with a good wood stove.

11-Oct-17
My best solution is propane and wood. Wood and wall tents work great together but the instant heat of propane is sure nice in the morning. Reach out and fire up the propane heater without leaving the sleeping bag, dose off for 15 minutes while it takes the edge off the chill, shut it down when you head out. Use the wood stove for evenings and cold days hanging around in camp.

11-Oct-17
When we used the wall tent, wood stove was the only way to go. For those who use propane, doesn't it cause moisture to build up?

12-Oct-17
Propane will make things wet inside, warms things up but produces water vapor as well...... nothing you hang dries out. Wood stove is dry heat, wet stuff hung up is dry in the morning.

Plus wood fire is good for the soul...... reaches as deep into the human endeavor and nearly as ingrained into our DNA as hunting.

• Sitka Gear