bigswivle 01-Nov-17
ElkNut1 01-Nov-17
Gray Ghost 01-Nov-17
ElkNut1 01-Nov-17
Glunt@work 01-Nov-17
Tajue17 02-Nov-17
ElkNut1 02-Nov-17
29-Oct-17
Does anyone here have or know of any issues with this truck? I realize it's not the full size duramax but I don't tow anything over 5,000 lbs & when I do it's like once or twice a year & not very far. I'm seriously considering a 2018 model. It has a 7600 lb tow rating & gets decent mileage. Just curious if anyone has one or know of someone with one. Any info on them would be awesome, thank you!

ElkNut/Paul

29-Oct-17
I didn't even know they existed. Good concept though.

29-Oct-17
I hear ya, I didn't know either until a week ago! But they look great, I was just curious in my research if any had 1st hand experience with them? Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

29-Oct-17
Didn't know they made them. The Isusu in the big Chevys does well and is real quiet.

29-Oct-17
I didn't know about them either but I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado with Duramax diesel and It has been great. I towed a 38 foot fifth wheel with it and it is great. Still is great.

30-Oct-17
A co-worker of mine was given one as a loaner vehicle for two weeks or so. I rode in it a couple of times. It was very peppy and very comfortable, enough so that I was giving serious thought to getting one. The wife advised me that we have enough truck type vehicles...lol. Anyway, I really liked it. Not sure what he got for MPG but he took it on a 500 mile round trip and thought the mileage was really good. Did not tow anything with it.

30-Oct-17
you can never have enough truck like vehicles. I personally wouldn't be caught dead driving my not very truck like infinity SUV.

30-Oct-17
I looked at the Colorado before purchasing my new Tundra. It wasn't big enough for my tastes and large azz. The one I looked at also had the tiny bed, which sort of defeated the purpose of buying a pickup for me.

Matt

30-Oct-17
Thanks guys! I hear ya, I'm a small guy though & really don't need it for hauling, I just like trucks! They look sporty & would be a fun toy to fiddle with, I'm getting bored with my Tacoma, I've had it 8 years now!

ElkNut/Paul

31-Oct-17
there is an additional cost of ownership with a diesel. I don't like them unless you really need the torque.....or they just cost to much.

31-Oct-17
Very true! That has me thinking as well! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

31-Oct-17
Im with straight arrow on the cost of upkeep compared to a gas. Just not worth it unless it's gonna see a ton of hauling.

31-Oct-17
With it being a mid-size truck, it's not about how much it can tow, it's more about how much weight it can stop!

31-Oct-17
Elknut,

If your intent on a "baby" pickup, I wouldn't overlook the GMC Canyon. It actually ranked highest in a few reviews I've read.

Matt

31-Oct-17
For certain things, a diesel will out perform a gas motor any day of the week. I always wanted a diesel in a Dakota! The midsize gas trucks very seemed to have enough power for me. JMO

31-Oct-17
My oldest son has a diesel that past 400,000 miles on it the last time he was here and that was a year ago. He has been from Florida to California several times since then. There is no comparison between gasoline and Diesel when it come to engine life but they are more expensive to buy.

31-Oct-17
I had what many consider one of the best diesel engines ever made, the Ford 7.3L in a F250. I put about 120K on that engine, and couldn't wait to get rid of it. The smoke, noise, $100 oil changes, and expensive repairs weren't missed.

Matt

01-Nov-17
GG, diesels have changed a lot since you bought that truck. For the past decade or so, most of the newer diesels run MUCH quieter, and with little to no exhaust odors. Some are so quiet that you'd think you were driving a gasoline engine without choking on a single cloudburst of black butt-smoke. Instead they emit a faint ammonia smell. And yes, they do run strong.

But the diesel engine drawbacks these days have become downright unreasonable, IMO.

One point is, in 2010, the EPA began requiring Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) exhaust systems that use a diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) treatment to help control emissions. Yep, more laws from federal appointee's that add more expense & hassle to diesel maintenance. And a key component of this law is designed to leave you stranded on the side of the road when the system forces engine shutdown to save the Spanish tit mouse.... ;^)

Long story, but my work vehicle is a turbo diesel 2010 Mercedes Sprinter van, and my duties require idling for long periods, which, come to find out, is extremely incompatible with those Selective Catalytic Reduction exhaust systems. They are specifically designed for highway driving. Dealer mechanics admitted that even urban delivery vans are suffering the same fate. Great law huh? Straight from our friends in the Obama EPA Team.....

So now we're forced to take my 2010 Sprinter in to the dealer frequently so they can do a system 'regen', and they keep it for 2-3 days every time. And it ain't a cheap task.

The real revelator for me is that this 2010 Sprinter has replaced the exact same model (except pre-SCR/DEF) 2007 Sprinter that never had any problems of this nature whatsoever. But unbeknownst to me, it apparently cut a swath of death wherever it went, leaving an unknown tally of dead tit mouses in its wake........uh, make that tit mice.... ;^)

Apart from all that, I cannot manage to keep from getting that rotten diesel fuel from stinkin' up my hand when I fill it up. That'd kinda suck when you're sportin' formal attire.

01-Nov-17
They made diesels quiet and less smokey to meet market demand. Now the Feds killed the great mileage & added a layer of expense and pain-in-the-rear with new emission standards.

Consider me doubtful that the benefits of the new emissions standards outweigh the impact of burning more diesel for every mile.

01-Nov-17
Good stuff guys & some humorous as well! (grin) Truth be told I'd remove all that crap off the truck, once removed you no longer have the idle issues plus much more power & torque! -- I agree they really handicap these things from their original purpose!

Gray Ghost, I'm surprised by your comment, the 7.3 was the best diesel Ford ever put out, it's actually one hell of a motor, I bought a new one in 97.

ElkNut/Paul

01-Nov-17
"Truth be told I'd remove all that crap off the truck, once removed you no longer have the idle issues plus much more power & torque! -- "

Downfall is you will no longer have warranty if you delete the emissions crap(if you're buying new) I've got a 17 powerstroke and I love it, also have a '12 duramax that I've done the delete on, it's amazing what they do when all that crap is gone.

01-Nov-17
Yes, I'd most likely wait till it had 15,000-20,000 0n it to make sure all was good before exhaust stuff was done. I could still mess with a Tuner though!

ElkNut/Paul

01-Nov-17
"Gray Ghost, I'm surprised by your comment, the 7.3 was the best diesel Ford ever put out, it's actually one hell of a motor, I bought a new one in 97.

Mine was an '02 and I bought it new. It was always cold blooded and smoked like a coal train until it was warm. My garage always reeked of diesel, and there's a permanent black exhaust stain on my garage wall. It was so loud, I had to shut it off at drive-thrus, or to talk to someone on the side of the road. That got old, fast. When the fuel injectors went bad at 100K miles, to the tune of $1100 for parts only, that was the last straw for me. I was so happy to get rid of that thing.

Matt

01-Nov-17
Matt, I don't blame you! Heck with those issues I probably would have got rid of it too! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

01-Nov-17
At least you didn't have the 6.0...

02-Nov-17
not being a troll but Buddy just bought his 2nd one he picked up for plowing and he said its Made in Mexico and has an Isuzu built diesel engine which is tough so it should run forever but the body is junk he said the flares always break apart on him and he needs to have it double undercoated but thats only for the Northeast and all the salt I think. he has other duramax dually GMC's for plowing and needed the mid sized for driveways.

02-Nov-17
Agreed, the 6.0 was a huge flop!

The Isuzu motor is tough for sure! If you've ever plowed snow you'd see that right there will beat the hell out of any rig, no kidding! That's as hard on a rig as anything. I wouldn't say the guy was too disappointed if he picked up a 2nd one! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear