70lbdraw 06-Nov-17
03-Nov-17
NO jail time.

03-Nov-17
a firing squad is what he deserved

03-Nov-17
What a shame

03-Nov-17
I am 100% in the death penalty camp for this offense.

03-Nov-17
The judge should go to jail . What a disgrace to the uniform. Mad Dog

03-Nov-17
Well it looks like a military trial isn't so great after all.

03-Nov-17
The defense convinced the trier of fact that five years in a Taliban prison was sufficient punishment. While I harbor less than zero sympathy for Berghdahl, I can't imagine how awful a Taliban prison must be, either.

03-Nov-17
Did he get to keep the back pay?

03-Nov-17
I think he gets to keep the back pay, too... because his dishonorable discharge will have occurred as now. Not backdated. What a horrible verdict!!!! He walks away a free man with $300k in his pocket, while some of his rescuers will never walk again.

03-Nov-17
This one really surprises me! Was he not tried by military court? How could he not be send to jail if that is the case?

03-Nov-17
His old unit should be able to take a baseball bat to him. I can't believe that he got off. Six MEN, not pu$$!es like him, but six men died looking for his deserting, traitorous a$$, and he got off. That blows my mind. WTF??

03-Nov-17
Biting my tongue. My thoughts are not fit to document on a family forum.

03-Nov-17
Tonyo x 2!

03-Nov-17
You would have to work hard to come up with a situation this bad. We get a deserter in trade for releasing 5 terrorists. We have soldiers wounded and killed looking for him. We pay him back wages from when he deserted (minus $1,000/month for 10 months as punishment). I bet the trade operation, aside from being an awful deal, cost a million plus.

"Ahmed, I am trying to be a good soldier for the caliphate but the Americans have so much technology, air power, armor and communication. It is hard to see how we will defeat them?"

"They traded one deserter for 5 of our brothers and then rewarded him for deserting by paying him hundreds of thousands of dollars and setting him free. How can we not defeat an enemy that does things like this?"

"Allah be praised, my hope is restored"

03-Nov-17
Had a couple SM's go off when someone texted them. Many Soldiers are upset and predict an accident will befall him before he out-processes. Couple of others pointed out that the command climate had been leaning that way over the issue for a bit. I thought to myself (not out loud) all the Obama Generals.......

03-Nov-17
There are a few things I guess he won't go home with........

I heard somewhere one of the guys who got shot looking for him testified on his behalf asking for leniency.

03-Nov-17
One can only hope this guy might come to you looking for employment!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-Nov-17
hatetheist? blownarrow? gray goat? lizzie? oneyedtrouserarcher? looking for some enlightened truths here...

03-Nov-17
1:20 p.m.

Bowe Bergdahl's defense lawyer has told reporters after sentencing that his client "has looked forward to today for a long time."

Eugene Fidell added, "Sgt. Bergdahl is grateful to everyone who searched for him in 2009, especially those who heroically sustained injuries."

Fidell told reporters that he looks forward to the appeals court reviewing Trump's statements as a candidate, which he appeared to reaffirm on the day Bergdahl pleaded guilty Oct. 16.

Addressing reporters before Trump tweeted about the sentence, Fidell said Trump had already caused one of the "most preposterous" legal situations in American history.

He said he looks forward to the appeal, adding: "We think there's an extremely strong basis for dismissal of the case."

It might get even worse...

03-Nov-17
I have spoken to his Wash DC lawyer before, Eugene Fidell. He is a very good lawyer in military matters, and spendy....but he gets results.

I would like to know how the military judge arrived at this decision. Was there past precedent? If so, the judge should have cited it in the comments he never gave after his decision.

04-Nov-17
I can see morale going down in the armed forces like NFL ratings. Sad. So much for having your fellow soldier's back.......

04-Nov-17
Bergdahl is a loser. Be like having FREEloader, or atheist having your back. They would stab you in the back, in a heart beat. Guaranteed. Notice that neither of them have chimed in? They are just like him.

04-Nov-17
Coward, coming from you, the one that runs away for a few days, then comes back like BRAWN BALLS? You have proven on here, the spineless, POS, that you are.Like i said before, you and the other PHONY, atheist, would stab anyone in the back. Take a hike dumba$$. 8^)))

04-Nov-17
Expected ironic moment WRT the sentencing:

Consideration was given concerning Trump's tweets but none about Obama's making him some sort of hero and "he didn't earn that promotion". Further, sentencing should have been based not on his promoted rank, but his rank when he deserted.

This is a slap in the face for all serving and have ever served.

04-Nov-17
IMO.....The other problem with this military judge's decision is what precedent does it set for future deserters.

04-Nov-17
To quote my father today, "In WWII he'd have been shot for deserting. And they need to stand him up before a firing squad now." My father is a WWII veteran if you need any justification for his statement.

04-Nov-17
He served as a POW because he deserted dumb ass.... piss on him....

04-Nov-17
I thought there was some talk of being a sympathizer so the steel cage thing is crap. You leave your buddies and put them at risk, desertion. War zone equals firing squad. Remember, he volunteered.

04-Nov-17
Claiming he deserved consideration because he was a POW is like claiming someone who murders their parents deserves to be acquitted because they are an orphan.

04-Nov-17
Boy FREEloader. You just KEEP coming on here proving your ignorance.

04-Nov-17

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
What a bad DEAL.

04-Nov-17
Any body have a picture of The Dishonorable "Colonel" Nance? Couldn't find ONE on the net. I have a mouth full of spit for both of them if I ever see them on the street..they belong with eachother. Two traitors. Mad Dog

05-Nov-17
It was sooooo touching! One radio report commented how Bergdahls female defense attys burst out in tears and patted him on the back when Judge Benedict Arnold legally absolved him. I wish nothing but the worst for all involved is his going free and that they are haunted in their sleep by the souls of our war dead, and in their daily lives by the living that will remind them what dreck (Yiddish for shit) they are. Mad Dog

05-Nov-17
Gflight. Agree. All these bootlicking, ass-kissing, PC Obama Generals need to be retired, immediately as an example for the up and comers in the ranks. President Trump should recall the good ones back in to uniform. Mad Dog

05-Nov-17
free, he was not a pow, he was a deserter who got caught. i would have gladly volunteered to be the one man firing squad to give him his due.

05-Nov-17
I wonder "IF" he got his $300,000.00 (or whatever amount) P O W pay out ??? ... and his 'close to' $200,000.00 + back pay while in "captivity" (lol) ? ..... another thing that irked me was he was a 'PFC' (private first class) and "O" promoted him to a E-5 Buck Sergeant (skipping the Corporal E-4 rank also) ....... and my own personal recommendation would have been 'death' ..... but that's just me! ..... We'll see if KARMA plays out in this in his future! ..... lot of 'vets' are upset with the whole scenario!

05-Nov-17
Yes, he got all the cash - minus $30,000

05-Nov-17
I accept that the Army has to follow their rules and regulations concerning pay. I may not like the outcome, but they have no choice here.

I don't get the decision on the sentencing. The prosecution was asking for fourteen years. While five years in the custody of the Taliban had to suck, I think a comparable amount of time in Leavenworth would have been reasonable. Desertion is a serious crime in the military.

05-Nov-17
My hunting partner has it. I'm sure we can make a great deal on it once he's through shocking his honey by pretending to use it as home décor in his old Victorian.

05-Nov-17

Annony Mouse's Link
From the "Rubbing Salt in the Wound" Department:

The lead defense attorney for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl said he wants him to receive the Prisoner of War medal.

His civilian lawyer, Eugene Fidell, on Friday said his client should be recognized for the five years he spent in Taliban captivity after deserting his post in Afghanistan, according to an article by USA Today.

"We have long felt he was entitled to the POW medal," Fidell said, the newspaper reported.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Bergdahl's defense team plans to push for the award as part of the process to appeal his dishonorable discharge.

05-Nov-17
Hey..FREE-TO-BE-AN ASSHOLE: Your loser hero Bowe DESERTED his post. Dream ALL U WANT, he'll never be in the honored company of P.O.W.s . He's just a common, cowardly piece of shit. Just like you. Maybe you can take him in in your freaky halfway house? Say hello to Kevin Spacey and Big Fat Harvey..... Mad Dog

05-Nov-17
Itshot: I have not read the transcript nor was I at the trial so I don't have a comment. Can you post the link to the court transcript that weighs the factual version of what happened and the mitigating circumstances that were considered? In order to form an opinion I would need that.

Oh, and the fact that you made up a nickname for me-I think the grown-ups on here know all they need to about you with a fella who makes up nicknames for other people. I'm sorry you were picked on so much as a kid. I'll pray for you.

06-Nov-17
They guy should have been shot or at the very least sent to Leavenworth for 20 of hard labor.

06-Nov-17
Since the Obamas and Bergdahls are such good friends I would assume Obama hooked the judge up with a good whiskey just to go easy on the traitor.

• Sitka Gear