Moultrie Mobile
Want to hunt in New Mexico?
Community
Contributors to this thread:
Shuteye 14-Nov-17
14-Nov-17
Share Secretary Zinke & BLM invite sportsmen to enjoy upcoming deer season at the Sabinoso Wilderness Donation of 3,500 Acres of land made the Sabinoso publicly accessible for first time ever

11/13/2017 Date: November 9, 2017 Contact: [email protected]

Taos, N.M. – U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke and the Bureau of Land Management are pleased to announce that the Sabinoso Wilderness – which contains some of the most pristine habitat in the country for elk, mule deer, and other wildlife – is for the first time ever accessible to the public for hunting, fishing, and other recreational activities. The 16,000-acre Sabinoso was previously wholly surrounded by non-federal land, making it inaccessible to the general public. However, a donation of 3,595 acres (formerly known as the Rimrock Rose Ranch) that are adjacent to Sabinoso Wilderness was accepted by the Secretary and is now public.

"I'm happy to announce today the Sabinoso Wilderness Area is finally open and accessible to hunters and all members of the public for the first time ever," said Secretary Zinke. "Expanding access to hunting, fishing, and recreation on federal lands is one of my top priorities as Secretary. I originally had concerns about adding more wilderness-designated area, however after hiking and riding the land it was clear that access would only be improved. Thanks to the donation of a private organization, we we continue to move toward delivering this nonpartisan win for sportsmen and the community."

“The BLM strives to be a good neighbor in the communities we serve, and along with our partners we are pleased to better connect the public to the Sabinoso,” said Acting BLM Director Michael D. Nedd. “This action will provide folks with exceptional opportunities for hunting and fishing, as well as outdoor activities such as hiking, horseback riding, and backcountry camping in a pristine environment.”

• Sitka Gear