bigeasygator 28-Nov-17
Sage Buffalo 28-Nov-17
brunse 28-Nov-17
Gray Ghost 28-Nov-17
BowSniper 28-Nov-17
bigeasygator 28-Nov-17
Grey Ghost 08-Dec-17
21-Nov-17
It was announced 5 days ago that Trump's administration had lifted Obama's ban on importing sport-hunted trophies of elephants from Africa. That decision was praised by the NRA and SCI.

Now, Trump appears to be back-peddling on that decision due to pressure from the anti-hunting crowd . He even called trophy elephant hunting a "horror show".

Is Trump a friend to hunters, or not?

Matt

21-Nov-17
Don Jr. is certainly our friend. Check out Pat's Bowsite Interview with him if you get the chance, very impressive.

I'm hoping he can get through to his Dad on this issue, most of us here (should) know the value of sport hunting revenue when it comes to managing African game.

21-Nov-17
Guys....Trump is a populist on many things and only has a few deep rooted personal beliefs. With something like this, he gets his finger and holds it into the air to guage his stance. Truth be told he doesn't care.

I'm not saying that is good I'm just saying it is what it is. For this reason he will be wrong on a lot of issues. That sucks with regard to elephant hunting.

21-Nov-17
"even IF he does allow the current non-import regs stand, it wont effect me one bit ... now IF he does something against management of a specie here, that would be a whole different story....."

So, as long as he doesn't affect *your* preferred type of hunting, you don't care? That's kind of selfish and short-sighted, don't you think?

Do you think sport-hunting revenues help or hurt managing elephants in Africa?

Matt

21-Nov-17
I know he has talked about talking to Zinke before a decision is made. Hopefully Zinke will be the man of the hour for African conservation.

21-Nov-17
The money raised from hunting elephants gives the people of Africa a YUGE incentive to stop the poaching of elephants.

Note that the article from Reuters which I saw posted on MSM.com, calls the Center for Biological Diversity a 'conservation organization.'

They are no such thing!

What the CBD actually is, is a law firm which preys on well-intended, but gullible people to give them money, then sues state wildlife agencies over almost anything those agencies try to do to support conservation.

Just ask any state DFW/DFG/DNR agency what the CBD does for conservation and everyone of them will tell you,"Nothing."

If only it were limited to 'nothing,' because the CBD and like-minded organizations are, in fact, the enemies of conservation. Because of their never ending lawsuits, state agencies spend millions upon millions of dollars to hire their own legal teams to defend REAL conservation.

That's millions upon millions of dollars wasted which could otherwise be spent on actual conservation!

21-Nov-17
Kyle,

And how do you think Trump sides on that issue?

Matt

21-Nov-17
"I hope he does rescind the import ban, but if he dosnt, it wont effect me..."

Thanks for confirming you don't care about hunting policy that doesn't affect you.

Now, I'll wait for others with a less selfish and short-sighted opinion to respond.

Matt

21-Nov-17
Matt,

"And how do you think Trump sides on that issue?"

Trump reversed Obama's ban, did he not?

Until that changes, I say "Good on him!"

21-Nov-17
The point being thrown out there is that repealing the ban will actually save the elephants. Except no one has said how. How does killing more elephants, importing their carcasses or parts of it help them? We know their numbers are shrinking. That’s an indisputable truth. We know their meat is not for eating, but those tusks are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. As wards of the earth, and as sportsman, we owe these animals a chance to survive. Not everything should be hunted to the point of extinction.

21-Nov-17
"Trump reversed Obama's ban, did he not?"

Not from the reports I'm reading. His Fish and Wildlife Department made that decision. Now he's back-peddling on that decision.

I guess time will tell.

Matt

21-Nov-17
Please don't respond to the trolls on my thread, it only encourages them.

Thanks,

Matt

21-Nov-17
Solo,

These are Trump's words:

"Big-game trophy decision will be announced next week but will be very hard pressed to change my mind that this horror show in any way helps conservation of Elephants or any other animal."

Does that sound like a man who hasn't made up his mind?

Matt

21-Nov-17
To me, it sounds more like a man under pressure..."

If I'm undecided on an issue, I don't call it a "horror show", pressure or not. You're mileage may vary.

Matt

21-Nov-17
One of the first things that needs to be done is to explain the difference between legal managed hunting, and poaching, to the thick headed fools that think with emotion rather than common sense and reality!

21-Nov-17
But I suspect that some New Yawka's do. Kinda like a 'NYC jive-talk'. I'm figurin' it out....

In case you missed it, here's what Trump tweeted to the world of hunters:

"Big-game trophy decision will be announced next week but will be very hard pressed to change my mind that this horror show in any way helps conservation of Elephants or any other animal."

That not only implies conservation efforts for elephants are a horror show, but so are those efforts for all animals.

My original question remains...Is Trump a friend to hunters?

Matt

21-Nov-17
GG , I agree what Trump posted is not what hunters or conservationist want to here. However I think there is a method to the madness of that tweet we just don’t know it yet. Or at least I am hoping so.

I can’t help but think of a few hard decisions Trump has made so far. He lets out that he is changing the policy. Then let’s out he isn’t. But in the end he has changed the policy. Let’s hope this corse of action holds threw with elephant conservation.

21-Nov-17
Like drug & gun runners in this country...whether it's legalized or not, poaching will continue. Those countries are incorrigibly corrupt. Mad dog

21-Nov-17
Some are twisting themselves into pretzels here so as not to go against some thing trump said/tweeted. Good grief..... if he's wrong on this he's wrong. Not a hard thing to cough up.....

I think Bowfreak nailed it. Trump doesn't really care two chits about it. Very few things he really does. I think he went with his advisers facts and economic truths instead of anti hunter's unicorn farts initially.... then his female and metro-sexual family "advisors" got his ear.

Hopefully the facts and truth will win out.

22-Nov-17
No elephants more likely no polar bears.

Come Don Jr. talk to Papa.

22-Nov-17
Solo X 2 !

.. ..

.. ..

I find it full of folly that a guy who started a thread on baiting deer is trying to give others grief on their stance on elephant hunting.

LOL !

22-Nov-17
Hopefully Don Jr can educate his Father on trophy hunting because it seems he is very ill informed.

22-Nov-17
For any other idiot lurking leftists that believe anything that emanates from Atheist ("We know their meat is not for eating") :

22-Nov-17
Fulldraw X2!

22-Nov-17

Gray Ghost's Link
I don't think there's any confusion over what Trump meant with his "horror show" tweet.

In 2012, when pics of his sons posing with big game trophies circulated on twitter, Trump said, "Old story, one of which I publicly disapproved. My sons love hunting, I don't."

Is Trump a friend to hunters, or not?

Matt

22-Nov-17
Atheist is obviously not a hunter.

Others here would turn in their bow while making excuses for Trump.

Far kin sad the ignorance shown on this thread....

23-Nov-17
Hard one here. I really admire elephants and do not want to see them killed. That is not an anti hunting stance though and to suggest that is to be of the tude that anyone that opposes what I or you want , everyone must agree or be anti hunting. For instance High fence. Whales , Gun vs Bow, Trad vs compound, Compound vs., Xbows., Rifle vs, Pistol or black powder. Flintlock vs caps. Anyway there is division here. I accept that but many will not. I am against killing elephants but realize the necessity of control. If it is properly regulated I see no reason that money should not be generated for the F and G division of the countrys. I also see no reason that the trophy should not be allowed.

God bless, Steve

28-Nov-17
On November 19, Trump tweeted:

It is now November 28, and there has been no announcement. Perhaps one of you with a Twitter account could remind him.

Matt

28-Nov-17

bigeasygator's Link
Matt, I think the announcement is sitting on a desk with all the voter fraud data that was supposed to be presented to us.

CNN had a very thoughtful op-ed from a scientist working for a project under WildCRU — for those that don’t remember those were the Cecil the Lion research team. I didn’t see it posted on this thread and figured it was worth sharing. It’s always encouraging to me when the scientists of the world get it and weigh in.

28-Nov-17
Africa wildlife is lost. It's only a matter of time that the magical numbers that wandered that continent will be remembered like the bison of the American plains.

It's sad.

28-Nov-17
GG

Trump is a friend to many people who hunt. Certainly not all. When it comes to generalizations then the answer is yes he is much more friendly than the vast majority of progressives. Although, hunters as a group are likely much more independent in their ideology compared to the run of the mill partisan hacks of either party. Many in the hunting community have been recently conditioned to stand in one party in order to protect what they love the most. It is understandable as well as unfortunate that in order to protect ones ideology in a one area that others are not spoken of with the same honesty. Hunting, healthcare, theology, equality and political correctness are few areas that come to mind. It sucks that social media tends to seperate folks into us and them to further the agenda of the powers that be, while they couldn’t care less about those of us that work to support .... everything.

So to answer your question broadly. Yes.

Do you spend much time pursuing wild animals with the intent to kill them? Is trump good for you?

28-Nov-17
"Do you spend much time pursuing wild animals with the intent to kill them?

Far more time than I probably should.

Is trump good for you?"

With respect to hunting, I'm not sure, yet. He has stated he doesn't like hunting. And he implied that conservation efforts for elephants, or any other animal, are a "horror show".

He also caved to anit-hunting pressure and shelved the decision to rescind Obama's ban on elephant trophy imports. Now, he's tardy on his own stated schedule for making that decision.

So, my question remains.

Matt

28-Nov-17
SERIOUS QUESTION - under current rules are they talking about importing elephant heads for taxidermy, or the genuine ivory tusks, or both? The news articles are crap only talking about "trophies" without that important distinction. I was under the impression that the ivory tusks were banned for many years, and modern elephant taxidermy used faux tusks. Can someone who knows for sure please clarify???

28-Nov-17
As I understand it, it is all banned right now (hide, tusks, skull, you name it). Lifting the ban would allow any and all parts of the trophy to be imported, including tusks. As I also understand it, the importation of tusks for commercial purposes was, and will remain, illegal.

08-Dec-17
It's December 8, and the elephant is still in the room.

I realize this isn't the most important decision Trump has on his plate, but he shouldn't tweet a schedule to the world, then ignore it.

Matt

• Sitka Gear