LINK 05-Dec-17
South Farm 05-Dec-17
LINK 05-Dec-17
slade 05-Dec-17
DL 05-Dec-17
Russ Koon 06-Dec-17
01-Dec-17

DL's Link
War is unfortunately part of civilization. But without wars think of all the inventions we might not have without them. Well some weren’t created because of war but war refined them.. Aircraft and 4WD definitely came if age because of war. Check out how they float one across a fiver. Where would we be without it?

01-Dec-17
I have a friend that deals in military equipment and he had a bunch of those old jeeps in his warehouse. they were in boxes and WW II models. He sold tanks, jeeps and all kinds of military equipment all over the world. He had a licence and sold stuff to Noriega. I almost bought one in a box but didn't. I wish now I had bought it. He had one with a fully operational 50 cal machine gun mounted on it.

02-Dec-17
In the mid 60's I was in a Navy C-130 squadron that was part of MATS. We were dropping paratroops at Ft. Campbell and to better coordinate the drops the first 130 in would have a radio jeep and a crew. Well the poor jeep (Navy grey m-38) did not survive the drop. Even though it was on a pallet with crushable packaging if the chute doesn't open no matter how tough your jeep is it is going to resemble a pancake.

Terry

02-Dec-17
The Bantam Jeep built by Ford and Willis for the military.

I remember seeing the add in the Gun List selling the early jeeps in a crate, some assembly required. Sure wish I'd have bought one, even with the gas tank under the drivers seat.

In the video it shows how easily they can be overturned while driving. Still one of the five best inventions by the US Military that won the war.

02-Dec-17
I've always been a Jeep guy. I took my drivers license test in my father's '64 Willys.

I would love to find a Bantam to park in the barn.

Matt

02-Dec-17
I wonder what that was coming down the assembly line in the film. It had a wishbone front suspension with coil springs. Was there a military 2WD Jeep with independent front suspension? I've never seen one but have never been a particular student of the history of the Jeep.

02-Dec-17
Mail delivery jeeps were 2wd

02-Dec-17
Many years ago a friend and I built one of those military " Jeeps in a crate". NOT a weekend project. What came apart WAS apart!..... with no assembly manual!

02-Dec-17

Bowbender's embedded Photo
2004 Jeep Wranger....Coming back after a morning hunt.
Bowbender's embedded Photo
2004 Jeep Wranger....Coming back after a morning hunt.
Four door hard top.....ain't a jeep. ;) Just sayin....

03-Dec-17

Gray Ghost's embedded Photo
If it's made by Chrysler, it's not a Jeep.

Just sayin' ;-)

Matt

03-Dec-17
We have a 49 in the garage we take out when the weather is nice.

Crossed the Rubicon in a friends stock 42 some 40 years ago...

03-Dec-17
"If it's made by Chrysler, it's not a Jeep. Just sayin' ;-)"

I fart in your direction! Took me thirty couple years to finally get my Jeep. Actually it's not mine, except for title and insurance. Son needed a vehicle, I've been wanting a Jeep for quite a while. I was always told if a need and a want intersect, pounce.

I do like your rig, alot. Early 80's? Is that the one you rebuilt?

03-Dec-17

Bowbender,

Thanks for taking my jab in the spirit it was intended. Honestly, I'd love to have a newer Rubicon to play around in, but I'd have to build another barn to store it in. ;-)

Yes, my CJ is 1981. It was my Father's from new. I bought it from him in '93. It sat in my barn for over a decade, while life got in the way of restoring it. Finally, I found the time to rebuild it in 2011-12. I gave her a new suspension, repaired all the rust, fresh paint, and a rebuilt AMC 360 V8. It was my first vehicle restoration, and I'm very proud of how it turned out.

Matt

03-Dec-17
The glider you see is a CG-4A. That's how my Dad went into Normandy.

05-Dec-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
JTV I’ve got a hard top, 4 door “jeep” I’ll sell you for $5500. ;)

05-Dec-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I love my Jeep, it’ll go places in 2wd that a pickup will struggle in 4wd. I thought I needed a 4wd jeep but I never need 4wd, glides right over the top of sand. I deleted my picture with a buck in the back hatch. Lol

05-Dec-17
You're crazy to sell that Cherokee Link! You'll regret it; I know I do (twice)..

05-Dec-17
Your right south farm. I need to get a pickup but I’ve told my wife if I get rid of that jeep it won’t be long until I have another one. I might would rather have a cj like Gray Ghosts though.

05-Dec-17

slade's embedded Photo
slade's embedded Photo
Goal is to put an original Go Devil flathead back in.

05-Dec-17

DL's Link
Even funner things now

06-Dec-17
DL, I wondered about that, but the few that I had seen were equipped with parallel leaf springs and a tube straight axle, similar to the few 2WD cherokees I've seen. Can't find much on the forums about the war-era postals.

I've been a 4wd owner for a few generations, but mostly Scouts and a couple Fords before graduating to Jeeps with my Cherokee.

• Sitka Gear