Bowfreak 06-Dec-17
Hawkarcher 06-Dec-17
Shiloh 06-Dec-17
Franzen 07-Dec-17
Rocky 07-Dec-17
Shiloh 07-Dec-17
BIG BEAR 09-Dec-17
02-Dec-17
Forget Auburn crushing Georgia not that long ago.

Today, Georgia is crushing Auburn, which is hopeless on both offense and defense.

Late Q4 and the Bulldogs lead 28-7.

02-Dec-17
Georgia beat the tiger crap out of auburn today. :-)

Dammit!

02-Dec-17
It's over and Auburn's toast.

Final score, Georgia 28, Auburn 7!

02-Dec-17
The million dollar question is if Ohio State beats Wisconsin who is the 4th team in?

That is assuming Clemson beats Miami.

02-Dec-17
OSU doesn't belong in the playoffs regardless of the outcome of their game tonight.

02-Dec-17
Hoping OSUgets in(I hate urban) the reaction from the Bamers will be unbelievably epic

02-Dec-17
Wisconsin needs to figure out the D and stop giving up these big plays.... hate OSU and would like to see the Badgers rep the Big 10 in the playoff....

02-Dec-17
Clemson easily beat Miami...Down to OSU and Wis, go Wis!

03-Dec-17
Interception! So now who is in? OSU? Alabama? A different team?

03-Dec-17
I am a Tide and SEC fan and believe Alabama can beat any team easily if both teams have their best day. Unfortunately it doesn't work out that way. Should Ohio State get in it is because they are the Conference Champion. I never believed that Conference Champions are always one the best in the country because the SEC and ACC are the toughest teams in the country up and down the ladder. These announcers want the PAC Twelve Champion Represented when they couldn't beat the Salvation Army. Clemson's coaching staff could be the only ones to show up and they would beat SC. The NCS can be argued as before and the debate about which team could beat who will will never end. That can be a good thing.

The Rock

03-Dec-17
How goes Ohio get the nod over Wisconsin?

03-Dec-17
Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Alabama

03-Dec-17
Kyle,

I hope you are right but two SEC teams of the four, although deserving in my opinion,would not sit well with the NCAA. I can't see a 8 in Ohio jumping over a 5 in Alabama because they beat the 4 in Wisconsin.

The Rock

03-Dec-17
Here's the main reason OSU doesn't make it:

Iowa 55, Ohio State 24.

03-Dec-17
Yesterday’s games show how bad the rankings are all blowouts except the OSU Wisconsin game. If J.T. was healthy I think it would have been a blowout. OSU beat two top 4 teams so their quality wins make up for the bad loss. Alabama had no real quality wins will be the argument. I think Sabens statement that you have to be conference champ comes back to bite him. Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma,OSU

03-Dec-17
OSU beat a over rated Penn State #2 with a miracle fourth period and Penn State handing them the game at the end or Ohio State would be ranked at best 10th. As Kyle said Iowa rang up 55 points and Penn State rang up 38 in less than three quarters and played protect defense for the last 18 minutes of the game running the b all on every play because of their 20 point lead and blew it with seconds to go.

The Rock

03-Dec-17
Oklahoma 31. OSU 16

03-Dec-17
It's done.

Clemson #1

Oklahoma #2

Georgia #3

Alabama #4

03-Dec-17
Pig,

Get ready to breath under water with no recourse when the Tide ROLLS in. ;-) The Rock

03-Dec-17
It will be Clemson and OU in the title game. OU all the way!

03-Dec-17
SEC represented well

03-Dec-17
Exactly, BS that Alabama is in there...Oh well, unless OU makes it, wont be watching it!

03-Dec-17
SEC wouldn’t be so bad if half of ‘em could spell their name! ;-)

That and Saban is a pompes ass!

03-Dec-17
A weak schedule and overall wins trumps disqualification from one's own conference championship game? Buckeye nation has to be boiling mad.

03-Dec-17
I’ve always loved this comparison. You yanks give us a hard time for being fat and dumb, so keep cryin.....we lovin it......

When it comes to College Football, there are many cultural differences between The North and The South. Here are a few…

Stadium Size: NORTH: College football stadiums hold 20,000 people. SOUTH: High school football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

Campus Decor: NORTH: Statues of founding fathers. SOUTH: Statues of Heisman trophy winners.

Homecoming Queen: NORTH: Also a physics major. SOUTH: Also Miss America..

Cheerleaders: NORTH: If you are slightly coordinated, you make the varsity squad. SOUTH: You begin cheer camp at age two, complete with ballet, dance, & gymnastic training.

Getting Tickets: NORTH: 5 days before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and purchase tickets. SOUTH: 5 months before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus & put name on the waiting list.

Women’s Accessories: NORTH: ChapStick in back pocket and a $20 bill in the front pocket. SOUTH: Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, waterproof mascara, and a fifth of Jack Daniels/Crown. Money is not necessary — That’s what dates are for.

Friday Classes After a Thursday Night Game: NORTH: Students and teachers not sure they’re going to the game, Because they have classes on Friday. SOUTH: Teachers cancel Friday classes because they don’t want to see The few hung-over students that might actually make it to class and throw up on their floor.

Parking: NORTH: An hour before game time, the University opens the campus for game parking. SOUTH: RVs sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for The weekend festivities. The really faithful arrive on Tuesday.

Game Day: NORTH: A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV. SOUTH: Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting “Game Day Live” to get on camera and wave to the folks up north.

Tailgating: NORTH: Raw meat on a grill, beer with lime in it, listening to local radio station with truck tailgate down. SOUTH: 30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by “Dave Matthews’ Band,” who come over during breaks and ask for a hit off bottle of bourbon.

Getting to the Stadium: NORTH: You ask “Where’s the stadium?” When you find it, you walk right in. SOUTH: When you’re near it, you’ll hear it. On game day it becomes the state’s third largest city.

Concessions: NORTH: Drinks served in a paper cup, filled to the top with soda. SOUTH: Drinks served in a plastic cup with the home team’s mascot on it, filled less than halfway with soda, to ensure enough room for Jack Daniels/Crown.

When National Anthem is Played: NORTH: Stands are still less than half full. SOUTH: 100,000 fans, all standing, sing along in perfect four-part harmony.

Smell in the Air After the First Score: NORTH: Nothing changes. SOUTH: Fireworks, with a touch of Jack Daniels/Crown.

Commentary (Male): NORTH: “Nice play.” SOUTH: “*#@&@, you slow *&%$@#! - tackle him and break his legs.”

Commentary (Female): NORTH: “My, this certainly is a violent sport.” SOUTH: “*#@&@, you slow *&%$@#! - tackle him and break his legs.”

Announcers: NORTH: Neutral and paid. SOUTH: Announcer harmonizes with the crowd in the fight song, with a tear in his eye because he is so proud of his team.

After the Game: NORTH: The stadium is emptying out. SOUTH: Another rack of ribs goes on the smoker while somebody goes to The nearest package store for more bourbon. Planning begins for next week’s game

03-Dec-17
All jokes aside....obviously if OSU didn’t have 55 hung around their neck by Iowa there’d be no question.

03-Dec-17
CFB post-season is the biggest joke of all of sports. Maybe one day they will get a real system.

03-Dec-17
LMAO...Thanks Tru!

Shiloh, great post...

CFB will get it figured out, still way better than nothing...Some of the coaching changes so far, are wild!

03-Dec-17
I did pick Alabama to make the cut. But that was predicated on Auburn beating GA.

03-Dec-17

04-Dec-17
I said it on an earlier thread - there is no way they keep bama out. They do not have the resume to get in, but that didn't matter.

04-Dec-17
This just out...

"Mercer's schedule next year includes Ohio State, Wisconsin, Auburn and USC."

04-Dec-17
Just more obvious SEC bias. They'll have a good opportunity again because they have 50% of the teams playing for the title. Pretty much exactly what I stated on the other thread...

I don't know who is the best team, but this is a great example of why 8 teams are needed for the playoff, so the "committee" doesn't just select 2 out of 4 teams from the SEC based on name recognition. I mean they might select 4 of 8 too, but that would be a real tough sell. An unbeaten UCF doesn't even crack the top 10? Not saying they should sniff the top 4, but they played at least a few quality (albeit not elite) opponents, and ask Auburn how easy it is to beat a tough opponent twice.

04-Dec-17
The SEC and ACC just dominates football. You can have your favorites. Any team in the PAC12 or Big 14 could not compete week in and week out in those conferences. The SEC and ACC are going to have losses because the bar is set so high when they play against each other. Should you get through undefeated in either of those conferences you are indeed # 1 going in.

The Rock

04-Dec-17
That is simply biased blah blah. The only way we can know that is to have them all play each other a lot more than they do now.

04-Dec-17
LOL, Shiloh

That was FUNNY!

04-Dec-17
University of Michigan football stadium...."The Big House"..... 107,601 capacity.... is that big ???

04-Dec-17
I saw that a long time ago and have always like to read it every now and again.....being from down here it kind of makes me laugh because a lot of it is true. I went to the Ms State and Bama game and camped at the horse park with my family of 5 in our $17k camper trailer and I bet there was $100M worth of motor homes there and some of them had been there all week!!! It was crazy how much attention a bunch of 18-22 year olds can draw out there bangin heads;)

04-Dec-17
Nebraska isn't anywhere near 'The South,' yet Cornhusker Football is essentially the state religion.

A number of years ago I was driving from Lincoln to Omaha on a Saturday morning in October. Nebraska had a home game that day.

The traffic heading towards Lincoln on I-80 was bumper-to-bumper with a YUGE percentage of the cars decorated all-out in 'Big Red' colors. Pennants, banners, logos, and more. You name it, they had it.

FYI, Nebraska has SOLD OUT an NCAA record 361 consecutive games and counting. No other school can claim that; not Alabama, not Michigan, not Ohio State. None!

Their stadium seats over 85,000 fans.

04-Dec-17
Kyle.... that's cool info.... U of M has put over 100,000 fans in the seats since November of 1975 with the biggest crowd being 115,000. The Big House is the largest stadium in the United States and was built in 1927.

04-Dec-17
Big Bear,

Yup.

Yet the population of Michigan is more than FIVE TIMES that of Nebraska.

04-Dec-17
"Their stadium seats over 85,000 fans."

Which is just about the total population of Nebraska...8^)

04-Dec-17
Yes.... College football lives in the north too.... in states like Nebraska..... Wisconsin..... Ohio..... Pennsylvania..... You might be able to play football all year round down south.... but the ice fishing sucks there.....

04-Dec-17
LOL, Big Bear!

Ain't nothing quite as tasty as deep fried winter-caught perch through the ICE!.

04-Dec-17
Y’all can keep that ice fishing too. We will continue to stand on the bank and cast!!

04-Dec-17
.....except those southern belles when they shoot you that look and smile. We have had projects across this nation in petro terminals and storage fields and I will tell you flat out that when my father told me I was going anywhere down south when I was a young man my heart got to beating and not just about football. I could listen to those drop dead gorgeous women talk with that accent all day long. I am talkin' about ALL day long. Funny that they laughed at my accent.

The ROCK

04-Dec-17
Shiloh,

Clearly you've never sat in an ice house with your Dad or a buddy, charcoal -fired stove keeping you warm, a ball game on the radio, and two lines each through the ice.

Then a school of hungry Crappies or Perch swim by, or if you're really lucky, a school of Walleyes, and all of a sudden, all four bobbers take a dive and there's no way you can handle all of that action.

04-Dec-17
Solo,

Same here.

Mostly we chopped holes in the ice with a home made ice chisel, then eventually a hand-powered auger.

If it was cold and windy, we'd sit in the car and watch the bobbers. Every ten minutes one of us would step out to skim the ice off of the holes. I remember sitting in the car one time and listening to a nearby radio station. The wind chill was minus 70!

The last couple of years I ice fished, which was a very, very long time ago, once in a while we'd rent an ice house for a few bucks, and that was like staying at the Ritz-Carlton!

04-Dec-17
You are correct Nva.....I am giving it an unfair shake. My idea of fishing is about 200 hooks on trotlines in the Ms River and catching a tabby cat big enough to feed my family for the rest of the year. We have caught as much as 400# in two days. We normally sit in the cabin sucking up AC while the lines fish since it’s normally 95 with humidity to match.

04-Dec-17
Rocky, The music of a woman speaking with a southern accent captivates me, as well.

04-Dec-17
Dad made the chisel with a heavy 1" thick iron pole, which he cut a groove in. Then he cut 6"-8" off of a car spring, I think it was, filed an end down to create an edge, then had the two pieces welded together.

It wasn't fancy, but it was cheap and it worked, although sometimes we had to take turns doing the chopping because the ice might be 24" -30" or more thick.

Ah, those were the days, my friend!

04-Dec-17
There is nothing better then sitting in a fish house catching fish. I chiseled a lot of holes in my younger days. I bought my first wife a 3 hp 10” auger for her birthday our first year of marriage. She thought it was a terrible gift for some reason.

When I was a freshmen In high school I took a can of soup and threw it out the front door. Called my mom and told her I was sick. Went and ice fished all week long. Boy did I catch a lot of walleyes that week.

Speaking of houses. I got an ice castle red lake jr for sale. Lol

04-Dec-17
After I went off to college and then the Air Force, dad got transferred from Sioux Falls to Minneapolis.

That's a great place to stage from if you want to ice fish, so he bought one of those power augers you hook up to the battery of your car or pick-em-up truck.

After all of the years we'd dug our holes manually, I never forgave him for that! LOL!

04-Dec-17
Nva, when I went away to college, dad discovered that he could buy a machine to put on the tractor that dug post holes. He also discovered that an augur could move grain when I wasn't there to run the scoop shovel.

04-Dec-17
Solo,

Yeah, I remember those things.

I remember ice fishing on Big Stone Lake and Lake Traverse on the NE SoDak/MN border.

One day there was a airplane flying onto the ice and selling airplane rides. Another time there was a vendor with a trailer selling burgers, brats and beers on the ice.

This was back in the sixties. I can't even imagine what it's like now.

04-Dec-17
Kyle, “I remember ice fishing on Big Stone Lake and Lave Traverse on the NE SoDak/MN border.”

Wow such a small world. I was born and raised in that area. Born in Wheaton Mn. The first lake I ever ice fished was Traverse. Didn’t ice fish big stone much but I used to fish it in a boat a lot.

Do you remember the areas you used to fish?

Some of my favorites on Traverse were Dumont bay and Rainbow Island. After ice out I loved fishing skunk island.

04-Dec-17
Michael,

I do not remember where on those lakes we fished.

I do, however, remember killing my first two geese on the marshy Cottonwood Slough very near there when I was twelve years old. The first one was a Honker. Then an hour or two later I got a Lesser.

05-Dec-17
Yessir !!! I remember driving out onto Saginaw Bay with my uncle in his pickup about 10 miles to a dropoff called the black hole.... there were trucks everywhere out there and you couldn't see land at times if it got a little windy..... and then there is the annual Tip up Town Festival that still takes place every year on Houghton Lake...

05-Dec-17
Rocky that's just the most uniformed comment I have heard.

Go do your homework. Look at the Top 100 NFL players every 5 years. The SEC ranks anywhere between 3rd and 5th. They never place 1st. The talent is in other leagues but the fan base is what makes the SEC the top conference and hence the money.

When you look at the last 24 years (the start of the BSC) there have only been 15 different teams to play for the NC. Compare that to baseball and basketball that had 27/24.

Truth is if they had 12/16 team playoff the results would be much different.

BTW The SEC is 9-7 in major bowl games against the Pac12. Only taking the lead the last few years.

Take conference champions and see who wins.

05-Dec-17
I'd bet nothing short of a decent stack of benjamins that we wouldn't have had the same champions with a playoff for the last 20 years. I do think more than 8 teams is too much for the college game though. As a fan I would like to see it, but these are still supposed to be college students, so four rounds of playoffs well into the spring semester seems a bit much.

Back to the real topic of ice fishing..... ;^) I like to go, but I live at a latitude where it is only an option on good cold years. Then it's just pond hopping. For no more ice than we have to go through, power augers are a pain.

05-Dec-17
It would be nice to see conference champs getting a chance to play for the championship. I don’t know how that would pan out with 11 different conferences.

At the end of the playoff we would have an undisputed champ.

As for ice fishing. I plan on doing a trip to lake of the woods this year. I will have to share it with you guys.

05-Dec-17
I've never been ice fishing. I have always imagined like most fishing....it might involve some drinking.

05-Dec-17

BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
Imagine it like a tailgate party while fishing !!!!

05-Dec-17

Great eating !!

05-Dec-17

These are about the top end of perch that I've caught in Michigan.... I've had the urge for a few years now to go to Devils Lake to try to catch a two pounder .....

05-Dec-17
Sage,

I would say the most uninformed comment I heard was when you said Donald Trump didn't have a chance. Now that is cleared up. Swallow hard.

Alabama alone has won more football national Championships than the entire PAC teams COMBINED and has won more football Championships in the modern football era than any other team. The SEC and the ACC dominate football period, irrespective of your convoluted view of what 'ifs" and "buts". Team for team, as I said, up and down the ladder no conference can compete with the SEC and ACC teams. Up and down the ladder that means tougher competition. BTW.....Donald Trump did win.

The Rock You are now entirely informed with facts not emotions.

05-Dec-17
For those that struggle with words like "fact", I compiled SEC team results against notable Non-Con foes this year:

Georgia: ND-W, GA Tech-W Blowout

South Carolina: NC State-W, Clemson-L

Kentucky: Louisville-L Blowout

Missouri: Purdue-L Blowout

Florida: Michigan-L, FSU-L

Vandy: Kansas State-W

Tennessee: GA Tech-W

Auburn: Clemson-L

Alabama: Fresno St.-W, FSU-W

LSU: Troy-L

MSU: Did not play a noteworthy team

Texas A&M: UCLA-L

Ole Miss: Cal-L

Arkansas: TCU-L Blowout

In summation, that is 7 Ws and 10 Ls. Shear dominance. Couple wins vs. that studly GA Tech team, I gave Florida the benefit-of-the-doubt by not categorizing that MI loss as a blowout, and Alabama did beat that middling-bad FSU team. Don't forget they beat Mercer too.... and without those Vandy and TN wins things would look even worse! Oh my. Hope I didn't miss any.

05-Dec-17
a tail gate party while fishing....I may be a born ice fisherman. I'm moving north.

05-Dec-17
Big bear Lets meet at devils lake in January. What say you? Heck everyone comes and we can turn it into a bowsite cf meet n greet.

05-Dec-17
On ice, or the bow of a Ranger?

Man, that ain't even a choice. LOL :-)

05-Dec-17
Joey, I have never pulled a ranger out on the ice to sit on the bow to ice fish but I am game. Haha

05-Dec-17
I would take you up on that Michael... but I'm kind of preoccupied for the next few months.... I'll send you a PM...

05-Dec-17
Mike, one thing is for sure, the fuel bill would be cheaper. :-)

05-Dec-17
50%....the percentage of players in the SEC who can even spell S-E-C........

05-Dec-17
And fewer still could spell conerference.

05-Dec-17
.......but win National Titles and that is what we are talking about not I.Q'S. Hell in the past I spelled confercence wrong myself. hmmmmm.....are we talking about black players here or is that anyone in the SEC who can't spell? Got silent real quick.

The Rock

The Rock

05-Dec-17
Rocky,

It's really, really tough to play for a national title when the powers that be have already decided who is and who is not even allowed to compete for said title and your team and even their conference is not allowed to participate.

This especially applies to teams who play on the West Coast and in a time zone with a two-three hour time difference where the deciders on who plays are in bed and asleep when those teams kick off.

05-Dec-17
Aaaaa....Rocky......won't speak for Brostky, but I think we were just having a little fun.

I'm a SEC fan. Mainly just watch SEC teams. I've watched enough of them to know the whys of who was picked. I don't see how anyone can from 6 plays on the halftime highlights. But whatever.......

Course Troy won the Sun Belt this year. And beat LSU. But then their rival, the South Alabama Jags came into Troy and put a whoopin' on them. But I've watched South play and kinda figured that would happen. Lol

Anyway.........some good football is coming up. I hope to watch most of it.

05-Dec-17
Please don't tell me the complaint is that Ohio State didn't get in????

05-Dec-17
I was having fun too....maybe they should have a spelling contest to see who gets into the playoff :)

05-Dec-17
Joey, come on up to ND and we can pull the ranger out on the ice. Set up the big screen on the bow and fish out of the back of the boat. Since no gas is needed for the boat we can split the gas bill getting you up here. Haha

Oh and go Oklahoma!

05-Dec-17
Mike, all my rods are too long for ice fishing. Got no Scooby-Doo rods. :-)

I only drop line below the dam when they have a gate or two open. And you ain’t pulling what I catch through an auger hole. :-) lol.

But seriously, I appreciate the invite.

05-Dec-17
Joey,

Stop bragging. :)

06-Dec-17
Ohio State.....two games ....94 points against and should have been a easy 107 points probably more against if Penn State didn't stop playing late in the 3rd quarter with a big lead trying to run it out playing prevent. Whats your complaint?

You think a team deserves to be in the national championship with those numbers hung around them?

The Rock

06-Dec-17
Ohio St. shouldn't have much of a complaint because they are about on par with the SEC as far as name-recognition bias goes. Would have loved to see Wisconsin just hand it to them, but they couldn't stop the big play early. That is the game though.

06-Dec-17
From the Allentown Morning Call: Penn State announced a crowd of 106,722 for Saturday’s home finale against Nebraska, which the Lions won 56-44. That brought Penn State’s total 2017 attendance to 746,946, the highest for a seven-game home schedule since 2008. With Shiloh's facts, PSU would have had to play 37.5 games at home this year.

06-Dec-17
Don't lose to Iowa by 31 and you have a complaint.

06-Dec-17
Agree Bowfreak. Although as an Iowa it sure was fun to watch. Over and over.

06-Dec-17
ok.......I give up, but our girls are prettier and that is a fact and all that really matters.

07-Dec-17
Give the guy something! He's just learning how overated his beloved SEC is. ;^)

07-Dec-17
Shiloh, Solo is right in that beautiful women are strewn all across this country, strewn, but no where in this country have so many been concentrated in one sector with the ENTIRE package like the women born and bred of the south. None. No where. End of story. All else is purely rumor. ;-)

The Rock

07-Dec-17
Thanks Rocky.....you are correct. There is a difference in strewn and concentrated;)

09-Dec-17
Go Navy !! Beat Army !!!

• Sitka Gear