Grey Ghost 15-Dec-17
BIG BEAR 15-Dec-17
Grey Ghost 15-Dec-17
Dave G. 15-Dec-17
Grey Ghost 15-Dec-17
BIG BEAR 15-Dec-17
slade 15-Dec-17
14-Dec-17
Drained all the old fuel and replaced with fresh fuel with a stabalizer. The generator started on the 2nd pull, the snowblower on the 3rd. Put a piece of tape on the fill caps with todays date and a dated the gas can too.

Thanks to all of you who suggested fuel stabilizer last winter. 0 problems after sitting since Feb with out being run.

Terry

14-Dec-17
I understand it, but I've never used a fuel stabilizer in my life. The same fuel I mixed for the old outboard engine runs just as well being two years old. My motorcycle tank remains full over the winter and it runs just fine come Spring. So does the chain saw. Guess I'm living a charmed life?

14-Dec-17
I just drain all the fuel out, and run all equipment until they are completely dry before storing them for any length of time. It's worked for me on a lawn mower that is pushing 30 years old.

Matt

14-Dec-17
I just ad seafoam.

14-Dec-17
I'm not a fan of "snake oils" when it comes to equipment.

My simple approach is to not let ethanol-laced gas sit in any equipment for more than few months.

Matt

14-Dec-17
Up here in the cold north....X2 on the Seafoam and ethanol free gas. All of my small engines get ethanol free gas year round. Up here it's also called recreational gas.

14-Dec-17
My buddy just got me to start using ethanol free gas for my quad, chainsaw and generator.... but I live in the city and it's hard to find here. I fill up a can when I'm up north.

I had carb problems with my old Honda fourtrax (2000)... because it sits in my garage for extended periods... Adding seafoam was like freaking magic..... cleaned it right out

14-Dec-17
I feel it’s not a good idea to run dry before storing for the off season. The fuel with stabilizer in it will protect the gaskets in the carb and fuel lines from drying out and cracking in the off season. Next season, dump and drain and fill with fresh gas. Good to go.

14-Dec-17
Joey, when it comes to his equipment, like his politics, he prefers to to dally in ignorance..... :)

I fire up my leaf blower once a year doing this and it has yet to not start after 10 years, seafoam has oils in it. We have 30 acres of forest and due to limbs and blow downs I keep all three chainsaws full of gas and oil at all times, I have never had a problem doing this.

14-Dec-17
I noticed Seafoam smells just like mineral spirits...hmmm.

Between dirt bikes, snowmobiles, chainsaws and snow blowers I run non-E when I can and stabilize to reduce headaches.

14-Dec-17
Good point Glunt, non E is all I use for my equipment.

14-Dec-17
I use Stabil in all my gasoline and diesel fuel. Have for years and have no problem starting my equipment. Got the tip many years ago from a boat mechanic that gave me a bottle of Stabil. He said don't ever run an engine dry for the winter because the gaskets dry out and will leak when you put fuel in again. He fixed hundreds of small engines and said Stabil would cut way down on his repair business. I will start my generator in the next week or so and run it for a while. I start it once a year except when it is needed when the power is out. I guarantee you it will start on the first or second pull if I remember to turn the switch on.

14-Dec-17
I use Star Tron. You definately want to protect seals, gaskets, fuel lines, filters, etc.

15-Dec-17
"Grey ghost, mistake imo. The fuel with stabilizer in it will protect the gaskets in the carb and fuel lines from drying out and cracking in the off season. Next season, dump and drain and fill with fresh gas. Good to go.

I disagree. Any fuel that remains in the carb bowl, fuel pump, or fuel lines evaporates long before the storage period is over. So that fuel isn't protecting anything. Heck, the carb bowl in my old CJ evaporates dry in a matter of days.

The one and only time I used Seafoam in the crankcase of a older vehicle, that rig began leaking oil out of every orifice on the engine shortly afterwards. It may work well in fuel, but I'd never use it in oil again.

The nearest non-ethanol pump to me is over an hour away, so it's not practical for me. So, instead I simply try to never let fuel sit in my equipment for long periods of time. Like I said, I have a 30 year old Craftsman lawnmower that I run dry every fall before storing it. Every spring it fires right back up. The only maintenance I've ever done on it is clean the air filter and sharpen the blade.

I'm not sure this needs to be a debate. There's a few ways to skin this cat, and none of them are better or worse than the other.

Matt

15-Dec-17
My 2 stroke engines do not have as much issue with sitting and getting varnished up. I have some 4 stroke things I do run dry but only because that has proven to work for that machine where letting sit has not, but for most just treating the gasoline right works fine for me. I also run everything at least once a month and use seafoam liberally in all gas I mix. The motorcycle mechanics where I get my atv's serviced are trying to get me to put 2 oz of 2 stroke gasoline mix per gallon of gas in all my 4 stroke gas. They are swearing by it. I also hear StarTron is the stuff to use for ethanol now and I've been using it too. All my stuff will run like a crazy.....I'm a nut about it.

15-Dec-17
Is it possible to run too much Seafoam ?? I only add it when my quad starts bogging down and I have to keep the choke on..... Should I always add Seafoam ??

15-Dec-17
BB,

Remember, Seafoam is a cleaning solvent, not a lubricant.

Matt

15-Dec-17
"I disagree. Any fuel that remains in the carb bowl, fuel pump, or fuel lines evaporates long before the storage period is over. So that fuel isn't protecting anything. Heck, the carb bowl in my old CJ evaporates dry in a matter of days."

Excellent point GG.

After experiencing a few problems with hoses on leaf blowers and chain saws cracking and rotting after sitting all winter - even with fresh gas in them, I resolved that I wouldn't let any of my small engines sit with a "winter blend" gas in them.

I believe the reformulated winter gasoline, with the additional ether compounds like MTBE, ETBE (ethyl tertiary butyl ether) and ethanol which increases the evaporation rate for gas in cold weather, as well as who knows what else causes those hoses and gaskets to fail prematurely.

I drain the tanks and run the engines till they stop, ensuring the hoses are empty, and haven't had a problem for several years.

15-Dec-17
Dave,

Thanks. I've actually done a fair bit of research on Seafoam. The actual ingrediants are:

50% light hydrocarbon oil (pale oil) - also known as machine oil. It's often used for lubricating bits for machine work.

30% petroleum naphtha - is commonly used to dilute heavy oils to move it thru pipelines.

10% isopropyl alcohol - also known as "rubbing alcohol" , is a cleaning solvent that evaporates very quickly.

10% water - no explanation necessary.

So, it's basically watery oil with a small amount of cleaning solvent. Perhaps you've heard the term "Mexican tune up", which involves dribbling water into the intake of a running engine. It's an old mechanics trick that basically steam cleans the carbon buildup in the combustion chambers, pistons, and valves. The same thing happens when a head gaskets fails and leaks coolant into a combustion chamber. Seafoam does the same thing.

You may have also noticed that even the Seafoam marketing video I posted supports the idea that Seafoam isn't advised if you keep fresh gas in your equipment.

Matt

15-Dec-17
Thanks Matt !! So for my quad I should add it all the time according to the video.... and I can't add too much !! I had a guy tell me differently...... now I know

15-Dec-17
I use Seafoam all the time and I have used pretty close to straight seafoam getting people's old lawnmowers running that have literally sat for year or more. Fill that old stuck carb in seafoam for a few days and you can get that gas flowing and float unstuck too. It's an OK gas treatment but it's a great fuel system cleaner.

15-Dec-17
Seafoam also works great for decarbing 2 strokes , especially outboards.

"" video I posted supports the idea that Seafoam isn't advised if you keep fresh gas in your equipment.""

Sorry pontificator, googling one you tube video does not make you an expert, no matter how much you wish it to be so.

The you tube clearly states use it every 2500 to 5000 miles, on their website it states

For cars and trucks driven regularly, put 1 to 2 cans of Sea Foam in your fuel tank every 2,000 to 5,000 miles. For engine equipment used regularly, add 1 (one) ounce of Sea Foam per gallon to a fresh tank fill every 3 months or sooner. If you won’t completely use up a tank or container of fuel in 30 days, make sure you add 1 (one) ounce of Sea Foam per gallon when you add fresh fuel to the tank/container.

It's states on the can and website it will stabilize fuel for up to TWO years.

• Sitka Gear