HDE 03-Jan-18
Amoebus 03-Jan-18
Annony Mouse 03-Jan-18
Annony Mouse 25-Jan-18
Gideon2252 29-Jan-18
Shuteye 29-Jan-18
HDE 29-Jan-18
27-Dec-17
So if we are warming the planet it would be -15 instead of -14.

At least we are making ice and the coyotes should be hungry with the cold temps. I bet the camera batteries will hate these cold temps this weekend.

27-Dec-17

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo

27-Dec-17
The kids and I like to have fun when it gets this cold. We boil a very small pan of water and go outside and throw it in the air. Instant snow! Has to be about -15 for that to work.

27-Dec-17
Balmy 9 degrees driving to work. You guys should live further south like me...;^)

27-Dec-17
I had -22 in my truck on the way to work this morning, a guy I work with that lives about an hour north of me said he had -30 in his truck on his way in. At least it wasn't windy!!

27-Dec-17
Yeah, that pesky Polar Vortex appearing again due to global warming. -20 here and 24” of snow on the ground, in northern NY State. Dec. 21 was the first day of a thing called winter, where it’s cold, even though we have been told now for decades, that it’s getting warmer by a degree or 2. I’m so glad climate change has arrived, or I guess it could have been -22 here this morning ?

27-Dec-17
20 deg this morning and can comfortably walk around in a t-shirt at a high of 54 deg. Crazy warm weather we are having, usually about 20 deg colder than it is now...

27-Dec-17
They are calling for -25 Sunday morning. Wow it’s going to be cold calling coyotes. Anyone call in temps that cold? How was the action? I know they have to eat when it’s cold. They need the added calories.

27-Dec-17
This was at 8:00 AM this morning........

Extended Forecast for Elburn IL

Fair -14°F -26°C Humidity 82% Wind Speed W 5 mph Barometer 30.72 in (1042.8 mb) Dewpoint -18°F (-28°C) Visibility 10.00 mi Wind Chill -27°F (-33°C) Last update 27 Dec 7:52 am CST Reply Reply All

27-Dec-17
Every time I read or see anything about "Global Warming"...I think about the time Al Gore was on a plane but they couldn't land because of all the ice and snow on the runway...lol He made a lot of money on that scam.

27-Dec-17
Global warming my ass! It hasn't been above 0° here in over a week....and wind chills have been in the minus 15-30 range. This state is turning back into the glacier that formed it!

28-Dec-17
-28 this morning on NY’s Tug Hill Plateau.

28-Dec-17
Holy cow, It is 13 degrees here this morning, that is warm compared to some of you guys.

28-Dec-17
18 degrees warmer than yesterday morning! HEAT WAVE!

Elburn IL

Overcast

4°F

-16°C

Humidity 73% Wind Speed E 3 mph Barometer 30.63 in (1039.2 mb) Dewpoint -3°F (-19°C) Visibility 9.00 mi Last update 28 Dec 6:52 am CST

28-Dec-17
-18 F this morning on my weather gauge...luckily, no wind. Sun is out and it's warmed up to almost -8 F.

28-Dec-17

muskeg 's embedded Photo
muskeg 's embedded Photo
meanwhile Alaska is on step for the warmest December in history.

28-Dec-17
82 here today you bunch of deniers!!!!! ;)

28-Dec-17
Muskeg,

I saw some charts somewhere on the coming polar vortex cool-down, the mid and east coast is going to get hammered, the west including Alaska and BC not so much.

28-Dec-17

slade's embedded Photo
slade's embedded Photo
Something along this example.

28-Dec-17
Yeah but it's a dry cold!

28-Dec-17
We were the same temperature as Anchorage yesterday according to my local news...and we were in the teens

28-Dec-17
Well, if we don't start to get some white stuff, those heading west in 2018 for elk might be disappointed...

28-Dec-17
HDE, yeah moisture is definitely needed not only in the west but Midwest as well. We just got a few inches last night. Not much snow on the ground in central Mn. It’s a long ways from the record we had in 96/97.

28-Dec-17
"Yeah but it's a dry cold!"

There's actually a lot of truth to that. I grew up in New Jersey, where the average low temps for the winter months are in the mid 20's to 30's. I then moved to Wyoming where the average lows are in the teens and as we all know sub-zero cold there is the norm. In New Jersey it's rare to non-existent. Yet because of the dampness of the cold in New Jersey, when it DOES get down in the 20's there it's C O L D. And I mean cold like it cuts right into your bones. In Wyoming it could be zero and as long as the sun was out and you weren't in the wind (I 'd say, "if the wind weren't blowing", but that only happens once in a millennia) it really wasn't all that bad. I fed a LOT of cattle in weather like that.

The same holds true for the summer heat. 100 degrees in the desert is FAR more comfortable than 85 degrees with 95% humidity on the east coast.

28-Dec-17
High tomorrow 50 West of the Cascades

28-Dec-17

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
This forecast is interesting. Look at the cloud cover and the temps.

28-Dec-17
I still think cold in South Texas is colder than in the mountains.

28-Dec-17
Solo that is for central SD. Yeah it does if your sitting on a hillside calling coyotes like I want to do. Just don’t know if I am brave enough. Haha.

28-Dec-17

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
A person has to love this tweet from 45. It sure does have the left in a frenzy.

29-Dec-17
Trump's Irish golf course just got permission to build seawall.

The original application for the wall, (signed by trump!), cited global warming and rising seas as a reason for needing the wall. you've been conned. he absolutely believes in global warming. he's pandering to his base. Yes, that's you. And you're lapping it up just as he wants you to. Good work! For the ill informed: Climate change, aka global warming, brings severe changes to *all* weather: more and stronger hurricanes, colder and icier winters and winter storms, longer hotter droughts. rising waters along coasts and overswept islands, etc. This is currently happening. Its Science. Choosing to believe it isn't an option. Just like if you choose not to believe in gravity.

29-Dec-17
Another one.8^)

29-Dec-17
Jeff,

Yes, another ill-informed manifestation of the "Lyin King" of Norwalk, CT; as with all it's previous iterations this one comes equipped, right out of the box with a pull cord that plays a number of favorite liberal talking points, all equally banal and painfully predictable.

Word is the 2018 model will offer no improvements........

29-Dec-17
Lots of bigly words but yet you can’t explain trumps hypocrisy. It’s because he’s got you all fooled and you can’t stomach the thought that a rich former liberal from NYC who’s never had a consistent political ideology has figured out that conservatives will swallow just about anything. He was right.

29-Dec-17
atheist. You are a FRAUD. Do you have to prove how STUPID you are, in every reply?

29-Dec-17
More like the Irish were conned....or were they? Trump has no ethics or morals and does what is good for Trump....

29-Dec-17
It's hard to explain the difficulties trolls seem to have with punctuation, grammar and basic sentence structure; almost leads me to start working on a manual; something along the lines of "Trolling for Dummies".

Even harder to explain is the penchant for infantile rantings via multiple iterations; hard to wrap one's head around how bereft of substance a life needs to be if that is what constitutes a troll's "entertainment".

As that noted 20th Century bard opined, "I pity the fool!"

29-Dec-17
Good thing we had all the coal fired power plants, factories, and oil/gas wells to end the last ice age. Had we not, snowflakes would still only mean frozen rain falling from the skies...

29-Dec-17
LHCA

"I like wind and solar. It's much more peaceful to watch the windmills turn than smelling and seeing a coal plant belch poison."

What's not to like? Except for the ecological damage done to mine the materials for wind and solar. The footprint per megawatt generated is considerable larger....Yeah, that wind and solar is as pristine as the new fallen snow.

29-Dec-17
"This is the third polar cortex in the last eight years." HUH?

"It's hard to explain the difficulties trolls seem to have with punctuation, grammar and basic sentence structure; almost leads me to start working on a manual; something along the lines of "Trolling for Dummies"."

Maybe throw in spelling?

29-Dec-17

Mike in CT's Link
Gerald,

I don't have an issue with an honest spelling error as much as the inconceivable notion that polar vortexes are something new; they were first described in the mid-19th century in fact.

Stupidity is the unhappy luck of the gene pool draw; ignorance is a conscious choice......

29-Dec-17
Can't wait until we get tropical trees in the Antarctic again. I am freezing.....

29-Dec-17
LHCA - who said anything about it not being global? The rest of the world is far more environmentally dirty than we are, and it's funny that Germany has gone back to coal fired power because the solar and wind thing as a primary source was just plain dumb.

FYI - 10 acres to produce 1 MW of solar. To make 1000 MW, well, you can do the math. And in the mean time, do your part and shut off all power to your business and house, after all, most of it comes from some kind of environmental disaster to make it...

29-Dec-17
Interesting they call them polar vortexes now and when I was a kid growing up they called them Alberta clippers.

29-Dec-17
I am no climate / weather smart guy. However wouldn’t the jetstream have a role in whether or not one part is warm and the other is cold? I know in the Dakotas and minnesota if the jetstream is South it’s cold. If it’s North it’s warm.

29-Dec-17
The polar vortex is actually just an area of low pressure near the poles. Filled with chilly Arctic air, the Northern polar vortex is always there, but expands in the winter. Sometimes that cold air drifts down past the Canadian border and into the United States, where everyone immediately panics because suddenly it is very very cold outside and that is NOT OK.

But according to the National Weather Service, the movement of the polar vortex is totally normal—even if it throws an icy wrench in your winter plans.

29-Dec-17
On the weather channel it seems like one big thingamajig with the jet stream running around and under it. Not sure I trust user edited Wikipedia....

29-Dec-17

gflight's Link

29-Dec-17
So, in 1974, why was the Four Corners area one of the coldest places in the nation?

29-Dec-17
Gore made much money off the rubes.....300million or so net worth...

29-Dec-17
Solar and wind. We have both here. At night when the wind doesn't blow we STILL need 100% capacity from a RELIABLE on demand source. Meaning the only real NET savings is fuel and some wear and tear on generators. Not much when you HAVE to factor in the cost of the alternative systems AND the added infrastructure to even use them.

I have a 13K system on my house, we just got in under the wire as Maui Electric has cut off their program to credit your production toward your electric bill (essentially run the meter backwards). They found they are losing their butts with it. A mainland company was going to buy them out until the state told them they would have to honor all the contracts people have right now. The company bailed out.

Maui is in a unique position to even have these alternatives compete at all due to the high cost of electric (our monthly bill was right around $400-500 month with no AC....) Even then it's proving to be too expensive. The fixed costs actually going up while elec company production/demand going down.

Alternatives currently are best for non on demand uses (production of hydrogen for example) Until a economically viable storage system comes down the road they are not really any answer in most cases. Makes little sense for electric companies to buy it when they still need the big plants for !00% demand. That day is likely to come.... or maybe a new fuel comes sooner that makes all this a pointless exercise. But right now..... they are having serious issues, even when using other people's money.....

29-Dec-17
No, a month a temps not above 10 degs. You would've had to been a local to know that. Dig deeper and you'll see winters going back even further where people built fires and parked their cars over the coals to keep the engines warm enough to start. What you posted is normal.

Now let's go back even further. What caused the massive regional drought that forced the Anasazi culture to disappear as we know it? Used to be very fertile land in the FCr's...

29-Dec-17
That's easy....farting cows and SUV's!

29-Dec-17

30-Dec-17
Cortez ain't the only town in the FC area.

That's just the one that popped up in your Google search...

30-Dec-17
Where is the original Gorbal Hockeyist when the left needs him...

30-Dec-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Neat photo taken at lake Mac in Nebraska this morning. I am sure it has something to do with the water being at least 30 degrees warmer than the air.

30-Dec-17
Coal To The Rescue As Record Cold Grips The East

May need tire chains for the Prius.

Via Washington Examiner:

Coal-fired power plants are king again as sub-zero temperatures sent demand for heating and electricity soaring on the East Coast Friday in the largest energy market in the nation.

Coal outpaced both natural gas and nuclear power plants in the PJM market, which extends from the Midwest to Washington, according to real-time updates provided by the grid operator PJM Interconnection.

Coal provided nearly 20,000 megawatts more electricity throughout the day Friday than its primary rival natural gas and over 10,000 megawatts more than nuclear power plants.

One megawatt of electricity can provide 750-1,200 homes with power, depending on how much demand there is on the system, according to experts.

The PJM breakdown looked like this: Coal at 45,842 MW; nuclear power at 35,514; and natural gas at 25,927. Renewables provided 3,086 MW. Coal, nuclear and natural gas are the three dominant sources of 24-hour power on the grid.

(continued)

Gorbalists demanding the switch to solar and wind power would have literally been left out in the cold had they had their fondest desires...

30-Dec-17
"Gorbalists demanding the switch to solar and wind power would have literally been left out in the cold had they had their fondest desires." That is the goal - to shut down free enterprise and freedom itself.

There is only One source of true freedom and leftists fight that source at every turn.

31-Dec-17
"Cortez is the biggest town in the area."

Uhh...No. Try again. This time, don't rely on a Google search. Had you actually visited this area, you would have not made those statements.

31-Dec-17
8:20 AM 31 Dec 17 -10 Cedar Falls Ia.

31-Dec-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

31-Dec-17
Population of Farmington, NM is 41,000 - 45,000 depending on which data source and is in the Four Corners region. Cortez is not the biggest town as you said.

You did a quick internet search to discredit, only to discredit yourself. Besides 1974, another winter in the early 90's collapsed a roof at Ft. Lewis College in Durango and froze the San Juan river bank to bank at Montezuma Creek, UT.

So, to sit there and claim extreme weather is something new is nonsensical at best and I am still waiting to hear your "theory" on why a 50 yr drought drove the Anasazi out of Chaco Canyon in the mid 11th century AD...

You have zero knowledge of the area so stop pretending. The only one full of anything is you, hand.

31-Dec-17
"no nothing turd", that is some funny stuff! TBMish almost

Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR gentlemen! you too, LefthandedBongNinja

31-Dec-17

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

31-Dec-17
I remember back it the late 70s every magazine had articles about the " coming Ice Age". So which is it? The earth has always gone through climatical changes of warming and cooling. It should be obvious all this hog wash is about control and money.

01-Jan-18

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
You have me by 1 Pat. It’s going to be cold calling in the morning.

01-Jan-18
Compared to NY, it's darn near balmy here!

Fair

-7°F

-22°C

Humidity 68% Wind Speed NW 12 mph Barometer 30.65 in (1040.0 mb) Dewpoint -15°F (-26°C) Visibility 10.00 mi Wind Chill -26°F (-32°C) Last update 31 Dec 11:52 pm CST More Information:

Local Forecast Office More Local Wx 3 Day History Mobile Weather Hourly Weather Forecast

Extended Forecast for Elburn IL

01-Jan-18
Eastern U.S. to Usher in the Coldest New Year’s in 70 Years, Nationwide Temps Lowest in World

01-Jan-18
-30 West Leyden NY at 8:00 AM. Where can I apply for a six digit government grant to compile some phoney data and make a movie showing everyone it’s very cold ?

01-Jan-18
75 here today

01-Jan-18
Pat may have you by a degree, but that -44 wind chill trumps the regular air temp. I'm a wuss cause we only had -8 here and I didn't go out anywhere.

As technology develops, the scientific community generally comes up with different ways to describe phenomena that occur in the world we live in. For one, it creates interest, and interest drives financial gain. Sometimes it may simply be a better understanding of something that was previously only theorized, possibly incorrectly. There really is no evidence to support the non-natural occurrence of this cold, no matter what sad clowns on this forum would have people believe.

01-Jan-18
-1 in Fairbanks and -3 in Barrow

Weather is not climate.

01-Jan-18
First failed prediction of 2018:

Climate Expert James Hansen: New York Will Have Vanished Underwater by Midnight!

Say goodbye to Lower Manhattan, everybody! By midnight tonight, it will be gone forever—drowned by the melting icecaps of the disappearing Arctic.

Obviously this will be quite sad for people who live in New York.

But it will be a tremendous vindication for the expertise of James Hansen, the former director of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) who saw this disaster coming as far back as 2008.

(continued at link)

02-Jan-18

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo

02-Jan-18
He may not have gotten the climate change thing right, but he did a really good job with the Muppits.

Terry (;>)

02-Jan-18
Good one.

03-Jan-18
"You're another no nothing turd."

Second time you've said that, it must be so... (eye roll, eye roll, eye roll).

I live here and have for decades, you don't. So quit while you're ahead...

03-Jan-18
Henry - "Weather is not climate."

Worth repeating.

03-Jan-18

25-Jan-18
Is the humble sandwich a climate change culprit?

Meanwhile, in Davos, gorbal warming is hiding beneath several feet of snow. However, Al Gore released his best invention since the Internet...the invertable thermometer--the lower the temperature, the greater the warming.

29-Jan-18
global warming is a global problem

29-Jan-18
I just filled out a two page Poll from the Republicans. One of the questions was about climate change/global warming.

29-Jan-18
Well, man didn't create the planet or universe so man can't fix something that has naturally happened many times in the past. Man can't even torally destroy the planet, even with the help of nuclear devices.

A similar event to a nuclear holocaust happened 65 million years ago, and yet, here we are today...

• Sitka Gear