bb 31-Dec-17
Sage Buffalo 01-Jan-18
Owl 05-Jan-18
South Farm 05-Jan-18
Shuteye 05-Jan-18
29-Dec-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Two friends of mine went to his parents in Idaho and have been shooting limits everyday since Christmas.

29-Dec-17
Those are some pretty generous limits! 7 ducks per day, no more than 2 hen mallards.

29-Dec-17
Before anyone freaks out this was three hunters and two days limits in possession.

29-Dec-17
Still doesn't add up and anyone who would wait that long to clean a duck (2 day possession limits) is likely in violation of wanton waste rules.

29-Dec-17
When I hunted ducks a lot we'd gut them and then let them hang for a day or so if it was cold enough. In Europe they don't even gut them before they let them hang!

29-Dec-17
When I was a kid, my neighbor used to hand ducks on the fence until the got fuzzy around their rear end. That would take a week. His son was a doctor and they all ate the ducks. A lot of old timers would always hang ducks for a long time. Me, I clean mine right away.

29-Dec-17
43 that I could see

30-Dec-17
"When I was a kid, my neighbor used to hand ducks on the fence until the got fuzzy around their rear end. That would take a week."

I guess that's as good as anything to kill the taste of the duck

30-Dec-17
Its winter, it’s Idaho! I’ll bet they are half frozen. Going to be a lot of duck sausage made. No wanton waste at all. The law allows a 2 possession limit.

30-Dec-17
An undressed animal hanging around for a week is referred to roadkill where I live. I can't imagine the lovely experience it must be to eviscerate after so long.

30-Dec-17
Not to mention that shot has spread digestive tract contents through the meat.

30-Dec-17
Which is exactly why I gut ALL my birds in the field, and usually when we take a break and stop by the truck. Once the guts are out and the body cavity is rinsed a bit then as long as it's cold you're good to go.

30-Dec-17
Holy Shit...ill bring the coffee and donuts. Mad Dog

31-Dec-17
I have a little stream that runs through my woods and in the Fall, when acorns are falling, wood ducks come in there. I often sit in a ladder stand and watch them swimming right by me. Years ago I used to hunt them but I leave them alone now. The drakes are beautiful. I have also seen otters swim by.

31-Dec-17

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
bigeasygator's embedded Photo
We hang em too. Can leave em out for quite some time that way. Occasionally we’ll also find hit birds that were lost from the day before and we’ve scooped them up and have consumed them and not noticed anything different taste-wise.

31-Dec-17
The old timers said hanging them improves the flavor. It also tenderizes the meat. In Greenland they kill a seal, gut it, and fill the body with sea birds. Then they sew it up and bury it with a huge rock on top to keep out critters. After months they dig it up and open the seal's body and get the fermented stuff out. They say the black goo is absolutely delicious. I think I will just get my Worcestershire sauce from the grocery store.

31-Dec-17
Big easy and shuteye...That may be a testament to how bad wild ducks actually taste.

31-Dec-17
I very much enjoy Mallard, but cannot imagine letting it rot a while before cleaning and preparing.

31-Dec-17
Wood duck is good, Mallard can be good unless they have been feeding in salt water.

31-Dec-17
bb, I am a long ways from salt water. They taste good when they have been eating corn!

31-Dec-17
I watched a documentary on a tribe in the Amazon. The men went out on a hunt for 7 days. Hot, humid. Never gutted any of the animals. The cameraman said he ended up vomiting from the smell. What some people like that eat would kill us. Another one I’ve heard of is slippery fin soup. Seal fins put in a plastic bag until they liquefy. Eskimo ice cream is berries put in rancid fat.

Excuse me I just threw up a little in my throat.

31-Dec-17
And some people rave about eating raw fish. To each his own.

31-Dec-17
It takes all kinds.....

31-Dec-17
“I very much enjoy Mallard, but cannot imagine letting it rot a while before cleaning and preparing.”

That’s exactly what people are paying for when they buy any kind of aged meat.

That said, our ducks hang for anywhere between 24-72 hours before they’re on ice at s minimum or processed completely, not the 28 days of rotting you’ll pay for with dry aged beef!

31-Dec-17
Aging beef is one thing but they're at least removing the guts.

Kind of reminds me of an outfitted hunt I went on years ago where Green bologna was the staple. I wasn't buying into the gourmet value of it.

01-Jan-18
Many high end chefs let their pheasants and ducks hang as long as a month. Obviously in controlled conditions.

Most people do what they were taught but it doesn't make it the only right way.

05-Jan-18
Was he able to age the liver taste out of the goose? All kidding aside, I'd love to eat goose- just don't like the " mineral" taste.

05-Jan-18
Every duck I ever tried tasted like a deflated football. Fun to shoot, but I'd rather eat a booger.

05-Jan-18
I like wood ducks, mallards, Canada geese and even snow geese. A friend brought me some goose bacon last year and it was really good. Actually aging meat tenderizes it. Every thing, when killed, has bacteria start breaking the body down. We normally hang a deer, field dressed, for several day before butchering. They are hung in a cold place though.

• Sitka Gear