Joey Ward 12-Jan-18
South Farm 12-Jan-18
Shuteye 12-Jan-18
70lbdraw 12-Jan-18
Woods Walker 12-Jan-18
11-Jan-18

Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
Lark Bunting's embedded Photo
I guess I am fortunate in that I work from home and can prepare some amazing lunches for myself. (I personally don't like working from home but that's a whole different matter)

Today I found myself starving for lunch. Between working out pretty heavily and a light breakfast I found myself rummaging around in the kitchen earlier than usual. *note to self...grocery shopping is in the near future*

Initially I thought lunch would be something boring again; tuna sandwich, canned chicken salad...meh. Then it hit me, elk steak and some veggies! I quickly grabbed a package of small steaks from the freezer in the garage and got them defrosting in the microwave. Most people would skin me alive for such blasphemy, but I have it MASTERED now. I've had to master the quick defrost option since I get the request from my son and daughter quite often to get some steaks on the cast iron skillet, and it's usually late at night, lol. I did a skillet steak today, in light olive oil, some sea salt and McCormick's steak seasoning and I chopped up some vegetables and that's when it really sank in for me, and I smiled, I mean, I REALLY SMILED! And of course reached for my phone to take a photo. That's about the time I noticed my wife looking at me like I was a crazy person, "food pictures went out a few years ago...". I wasn't going to let her ~I'd rather have beef~ negativity affect me!

Being new to hunting and having the blessings of taking my first archery elk this year it brings an overwhelming sense of pride every time I prepare some elk meat for myself and my kids. The memories come rushing back of the panicked feeling I had after the shot, the sense of joy of finding the elk just a few short moments after the shot, and memories of agony with the treacherous 13 hour pack out that my son, buddy and I did all night long.

To sit down and enjoy the fruits of the labor really brings on a new sense of pride for someone like myself that didn't grow up hunting, and that dang sure made me smile.

11-Jan-18
Looks pretty dang good, congrats and enjoy the memories long after the meat has been gobbled up.

11-Jan-18

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Well here is a nice healthy breakfast.

11-Jan-18
Tomatoes?

Cauliflouer?

Avocadoes?

Not my thing!

OTOH, that skillet steak is right down my alley!

Then there's Shuteye's idea of breakfast: Bacon, Bacon, Eggs, Bacon, Bacon, toast and more Bacon!

YES!!!!!!!

Hey, Lex, can I come to your house for breakfast anytime soon?

11-Jan-18
Seriously...... don't mess wid dat man's bacon........

11-Jan-18
^^^^ I was wondering what the handgun was for, but now I understand. A person can't be to careful with a pile of bacon like that sitting around.

11-Jan-18
If I had to order my last meal, Shut's would be it. In fact even if it weren't my last meal specifically it may wind up that way due to the massive heart attack I'd have!

But if I may add just ONE thing to that already perfect meal.......

When the bacon is done cooking, take the bread and put it in the hot grease and FRY it. Just before it's done dump eggs on top and bast 'em. That WOULD be my last meal, but it'd be worth it!

11-Jan-18
Actually that picture was Steve McGranahan's breakfast. The world's strongest redneck. He is one cool character and he eats well. He is also a hunter and shoots about every kind of weapon know to man.

11-Jan-18
The egg tells the tale. It would be unusual for someone that far north to order/cook one SSU. :-)

12-Jan-18
Joey, you are correct, mine get flipped over. I just had a plate full of eggs and scrapple. Yep, us Yankees eat scrapple and bacon. Bowdad took a whole case of scrapple to a hog hunt down in Tennessee and the guys from the South wouldn't touch it. Tennbow ate it cause he had been up North with us good guys and knew it was good eatin'.

12-Jan-18
Lark,

Your meal looks more like an appetizer to me.

;-)

Matt

12-Jan-18
Shuteye, I would not object to trying some. Heck, as much potted meat and spam as I've eaten, scrapple would seem to fit right in.

I cook my eggs SSU, and a lighter on the bottom than Steve Mc apparently does. But our bacon looks the same. Crispy. :-)

12-Jan-18
Lark if you get a George Foreman grill you can go from freezer to grilling! Love mine and it keeps the meat out of the microwave. Short grill time as well!

12-Jan-18
Joey, I like spam but it is so darn expensive now. Spam was one food that was listed as something to keep on hand since it last forever, in the can, and is actually a high energy food and will keep you alive. Fried spam sandwiches are good. My oldest son lives in Florida and the first thing he does when he comes to my house is stop in town and get a scrapple sandwich. My daughter gives him some packages to take back to Florida. When he comes here before long he will get some dry ice and take an entire deer back with him. He has done it before and the frozen deer make the trip just fine. All his friends gather for a BBQ when he gets back.

12-Jan-18
Shuteye, my local Wal-Mart had BOGO on spam a few weeks back. I bought a 12 pack. :-)

Fried samiches are good, fried slices with eggs, and diced up in mac and cheese or ramen makes for some good quick meals.

Yeah, I'm cheap. :-)

12-Jan-18
Love me some fried SPAM!!! MMMM!!

12-Jan-18
You guys are making me hungry.

12-Jan-18
You guys haven't had breakfast until you have Huevos Rancheros with elk meat and smother it with New Mexico red and green chile...eggs over easy of course! Whip em up over a campfire in no time!

12-Jan-18

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Anyone who's spent any time in New Jersey/Philly area will know what this is!!!!

Fortunately I can buy it now at one place here in Illinois. Now if I could just find a source of NY style PIZZA instead of this "tomato sauce on a cracker" thin crust Chicago crap I'd be in hog heaven!

• Sitka Gear