sleepyhunter 14-Jan-18
Annony Mouse 14-Jan-18
Annony Mouse 14-Jan-18
Mint 15-Jan-18
Woods Walker 15-Jan-18
Mint 15-Jan-18
bb 15-Jan-18
14-Jan-18
But that's exactly what he DID say! And Obama talking about facts? What does that POS know about facts? Now if he were talking about LIES, then he'd have some credibility.

Here's a FACT, Obama.............YOU'RE A LIAR.

14-Jan-18
I think this is a poor example. While Obama did not explicitly state what was quoted, that was his clear implication. I get the point but on the level of out of context quotes, it's a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10.

14-Jan-18
"One of the biggest challenges we have to our democracy is the degree to which we are listening to NPR."

Fox news next major headline. It must be true, those words came from Obama's mouth.

14-Jan-18
Obama lecturing us on "facts".......now THAT is funny!

14-Jan-18
Such is politics.

Rather than analyze complex problems it is easier to follow taglines that make you feel good...

Many speeches 0bama has given have been objective and people just view them through their own perspective lens.

My perspective....

The sheep like to stay on their own planet and ignore facts rather than have their values challenged. Look at democrats, they hated the man now they love the man and most don't even realize it.....

14-Jan-18
It was a valiant effort KPC, and I completely agree - though it’s gonna fall on deaf ears for most of this forum. There is essentially zero objective reporting in the world - just about everything is tinged with some sort of bias or opinion. I watch about an equal amount of Fox News and CNN to try and get some balance. I actually get most of my news during the day from CNBC - they view everything from the lens of the market which tends to be slightly more objective than the filter others networks put on the news.

14-Jan-18
so if you live on a different planet when listening to fox news as opposes to npr how is it wrong to say you live on a different planet when you listen to fox news? as for the rip part of the headline, i don't know dipsticks tone when he was speaking so that is up for debate.

14-Jan-18
I love this though, and it speaks to your point, KPC.

“While Obama did not explicitly state what was quoted, that was his clear implication.” - bk on this thread

“It always amazes me that people presume to know the intent of people they have never met, and never will meet.” - bk on the thread related to Trump calling other countries shitholes.

14-Jan-18
What could have possibly been the impetus to investigate a single quote and validate someone who was hell bent on destroying this nation in concert with denigrating a conservative bent outlet that laid the claim. The devious and mischievous intent was obviously to rankle and irritate the overwhelming conservative CF. Past performances by some here highlight their history regarding "intent" and the attempt to enhance that history has been successfully achieved, and in this case, as many before it, worthless in content. Your allies are sure to follow.

The Rock

14-Jan-18
Shoes by conformation have a heel and a toe. Some can fit their feet in either way when and where they decide to travel.

The Rock

14-Jan-18
BEG Obama was our president for 8 years. I think people know him well enough to know his intentions!

14-Jan-18
If the argument is that no one reports the news objectively and correctly, then how do the people who claim to know everything get their news? They must be taking the news reports they hear/see and filter them to arrive at the conclusion that sounds correct to them or they are present at every news event and know first hand what was said/happened. And even then, their interpretation of events can be different than the person standing beside them.

The point being, no one can claim 100% objectivity, because everyone, regardless of their level of self proclaimed critical thinking skills, interprets and understands things according to their own prejudices and beliefs.

The 'trick' for the individual to become more knowledgeable and to achieve a truer understanding of the world around them is to recognize their own prejudices and beliefs and to routinely challenge same and discard or modify them when they are no longer tenable in relation to the facts as currently understood.

It's called learning.

14-Jan-18
I agree with bk in the understanding that the context in which OBAMA said it was exactly the way KPC claims is a slant. He meant it as how it sounds and how it is being reported. The report I watched this morning showed him saying exactly what KPC quoted this morning. All of it. No short lines. So, HE meant the cheap shot. Yes he is right in the reality that we lean towards our own beliefs but, get real Kevin, this is about as one way as it goes for most Americans

14-Jan-18
The truth is that we all live on the same planet. Some just want to destroy our right to live on it. obama WISHES we were not on "his" planet. Maybe more accurately, he wishes our planet did not exist - only his.

Headlines have never been about accuracy, but about reeling in readers. That has not changed.

14-Jan-18
BEG, the words mean what they say. Reading them literally gives the interpretation that is obvious. That you seek to disprove it to score points reinforces your demonstrable and consistently disingenuous argument strategy.

14-Jan-18
How quickly, it seems, we cast away some of the more valuable lessons of childhood. I recall being advised (by parents, teachers, coaches) that "there are always two sides to every story."

A headline may grab my attention but it shouldn't short-circuit my pursuit of the facts. The writer may imply until the heavens part; what I infer is entirely based upon my own preconceived notions and/or bias(es).

The trick is not having your thinking constricted by the above but rather to accept nothing less than 100% honesty from the one party over which you have full control; yourself.

Today's media is merely capitalizing on the short attention span of the average "adult" and an appalling prevalence of intellectual laziness.

14-Jan-18
A lot of media is now owned by silicon valley. And so, it's now directed toward getting clicks, which is done by sensationalist and frequently misleading headlines, if not false. This clickbait approach to news puts clicks at the forefront and accuracy far down the list of priorities. That's one reason why I try to wait a day or two after the first headlines come out.

14-Jan-18
“The words mean what they say. Reading them literally gives the interpretation that is obvious”

Agreed, which is why it’s fascinating to me that you would read Obama’s words as suggesting Fox News viewers are out of touch with reality versus the point he was making that the perspectives of Fox News and NPR are entirely different and a result of two ideological constructs.

14-Jan-18
Good luck finding those...

14-Jan-18
I could look through the posts here on the CF from every single poster and simply by taking a few words out of context, make every poster look like they had the exact opposite beliefs and values from what they actually have.

14-Jan-18

bad karma's Link
A quick search would turn up a ton of articles about how Obama was commenting negatively about Fox news. Here is just one, with exact quotes.

Apparently, for some of us, history begins tomorrow.

14-Jan-18
He wasn’t commenting negatively about Fox News in the interview with Letterman. The whole point was how Americans are living in a political bubble by personalizing their respective media streams. Whilst he may believe Fox News is biased and he thinks less of their viewers, that wasn’t the point he was making in the interview when his quote was taken out of context. It cuts both ways - there’s an entire body of work I can point to about Trump’s view of Africans, Haitians, and Mexicans that certainly shed light on what he was implying when he talked about people from shithole countries.

This double standard and hypocrisy is just another riff on the same theme - looking for anything that will provide a validation of one’s biases and political beliefs.

14-Jan-18
BEG,

I agree with your first point, but not with the second one.

Trump may or may not have said '$hithole' but even if he did, he was referring to the countries, not necessarily the people. Most of those countries are run by dictators and communists. As a result, their people are very poorly educated and largely lacking in skills. OTOH, the people from the non-$hithole countries tend to be educated and those countries are almost entirely democracies.

This has nothing to with race. It has everything to do with wanting qualified and skilled people.

14-Jan-18
"The trick is not having your thinking constricted by the above but rather to accept nothing less than 100% honesty from the one party over which you have full control; yourself."

Yes!

14-Jan-18
Fox news aint perfect, I dont buy into everything they say. Having said that, the main stream media is 80% Fake news...100% of the time because they are 90% left wingers. Dont care for the Neo con Bill O'riley though, didn't buy in to his crap about honest Abe,lol. The mainstream media knew Obama attended Rev Wrights church for 20 yrs, Rev Wright is a racist...Obama got a free pass on that.

14-Jan-18
" I want fair and balanced,not right wing version of MSNBC."

X2

I also appreciate having people from both sides here on the CF having discussions. It would be very boring having only one side!

14-Jan-18
Fake news starts when you turn on CNN.

14-Jan-18

Annony Mouse's Link
Interesting link considering this thread's topic.

Changing "I'd" to "I" completely changes the meaning and the reporting.

I have found that getting news is far often better from some blogs/websites than the lettered news services since the better ones actually provide links to their sources, making it relatively easy to get the details of any news story. When the networks allow their talking heads to conflate actual news with opinion, they become propaganda purveyors.

Far too many of todays "journalists" are hacks who cannot separate news from editorial...seen in all forms of media, especially print. And far too many of the public cannot tell the difference...

14-Jan-18
Came across this on Moonbattery...

15-Jan-18
Yes it was misleading and Fox shouldn't have stated it that way. That is my biggest complaint about the MSM is that is what they do all the time all day long. Media Matters does the same thing. Context does matter. I listed to Rush everyday so I know what is said on his show and when the MSM mentions him they never put him in context. This whole shi$hole comment from Trump had nothing to do with racism but that is what the Democrats wanted so that's where the media went. The whole purpose was to distract from the great meeting Trump had. Hopefully Trump will learn a lesson and not trust the Democrats AT ALL.

15-Jan-18
Trump needs to refer everyday to what the Democrats did in 1986 with the Amnesty Act. Amnesty was granted to all that were here with no criminal record and then they were REALLY going to crack down on the people who came here illegally after that. The Dems controlled Congress at that time and they completely went back on their word and did the exact opposite. What we are facing today with the DACA "kids" is a direct result of their bullsh*t. And now the SOBs want to do the same thing.

15-Jan-18

Mint's Link
And then you have this.

15-Jan-18
Yeah well the WSJ is grabbing at straws with that one. That doesn't even make sense.

• Sitka Gear