HA/KS 15-Feb-18
Iktomi 15-Feb-18
Iktomi 15-Feb-18
bigswivle 15-Feb-18
HA/KS 15-Feb-18
07-Feb-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Just a little graphic to show the farmer's share of the food you buy.

08-Feb-18
I farm produce for a living, it's been a rough couple years with shi$$y markets.

08-Feb-18
Keep removing those immigrants that pick our food (for pennies on the dollar!). and you’ll see prices skyrocket OR the produce will simply rot in the fields.

08-Feb-18
atheist. Only the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS gets removed, not the LEGAL ones. You are a dumba$$, that's for sure. 8^)))

08-Feb-18
"Keep removing those immigrants that pick our food (for pennies on the dollar!). and you’ll see prices skyrocket OR the produce will simply rot in the fields."

Please tell us how much you know about farm labor. H2A labor wages or anything you would know about having employees that make "pennies on the dollar". I'm all ears

08-Feb-18
Not sure what the point of showing the two numbers are as they have very little relation to each other. If it’s to show that we don’t pay much directly to farmers, don’t forget the subsidies part of the equation. Farming generates about $140 bln worth of GDP - and is subsidized to the tune of about $40 bln at the federal level. Granted those subsidies are not evenly distributed across all farmers/farming activities, but it’s still a high percentage of the industry GDP.

08-Feb-18
Not everything on that chart is subsidized. There's no subsidies for anything I grow.

08-Feb-18

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo

08-Feb-18
I don't buy taters, maters or meat. I grow or kill that. The rest of the stuff is going up. I do a lot of buying when Food Lion has sales and they have sales every week. I won't get to eat a fresh tomato until after July 4, and it will be so appreciated. Bet your bottom dollar there ain't nothing like a home grown tomato. Peppers too and they are easy to grow.

08-Feb-18

08-Feb-18
bigswivle, that’s why I said “granted, those subsidies aren’t evenly distributed across farmers/farming activities...”

08-Feb-18
Yup, had an uncle that was a diary farmer and he never saw an increase when the price went up on milk. The only problem I have with some farmers and especially on Long island is that they are paid a subsidy so they will keep the farm going but then they end up selling out so town houses get built once the land appreciates enough for them to get big bucks. I think then they should have to give back the subsidies or at least a portion of them.

08-Feb-18
Americans spend $874 billion on food each year. According to your number, farmers get a pretty small share of that.

I find it amusing that leftists instituted the farm payment system and are first to criticize it.

BTW, farm commodity payments (mostly loans) are abut 3% of the USDA budget. Most of the budget goes to food stamps and other welfare programs.

08-Feb-18
Retail is where the money is. Grocery stores can buy produce from Mexico for a fraction of what they can in US. The average farm worker in Mexico makes 5$ a week. My harvesting crews average 11.50 per hr. How do you compete with that?

08-Feb-18
Flour is not bread, tomatoes are not ketchup, pigs are not ham's, etc

Farmers grow the produce or livestock which must be processed and delivered to the market. The final price reflects what that "process" costs.

For instance a pig must be shipped to the slaughterhouse$$$$, The pig must be butchered $$$$$$, The meat must be shipped to market $$$$$, The meat must be packaged and displayed$$$$$$ The cashier must be paid to complete transaction to customer$$$$$$

There are a whole lot of people who "touch" the products we use. Each adding value. The price we see on the shelves is the sum of value added to the product plus profit.

08-Feb-18
Man I hope farmers don't stop growing beer after they see this.

08-Feb-18
Tiger-eye pretty much sums it up^^^ and that’s why those two numbers (ie, the cost of the raw materials and the cost of refined/manufactured products have, often times, little to do with each other).

And a welfare payment is a welfare payment. I wasn’t criticizing them, only pointing out the role they pay in keeping food prices low.

08-Feb-18
You mean Profit = Revenue - Total Cost?

What a novel idea!

08-Feb-18
That's hard to believe KPC when publix is putting a store in every town east of the Mississippi and a lot of farmers are folding up. Is what it is I guess

08-Feb-18
If I want corn for my feeders, my neighbor sells it to me for $7/100#. I don't think that is bad. I see corn in Walmart that is way higher than that. I just drive my gator up to the farm, go in the shed and get what I want so there is no packaging cost or delivery.

08-Feb-18
"Keep removing those immigrants that pick our food (for pennies on the dollar!). and you’ll see prices skyrocket OR the produce will simply rot in the fields."

Glad to see you don't believe in a minimum wage Theist.

08-Feb-18
"Glad to see you don't believe in a minimum wage Theist."

He also doesn't believe in teaching OUR young ones the value of starting at less appealing job in an attempt to devolpe a real work ethic to enhance their future.

08-Feb-18
KPC it isn't fun anymore man I can tell you that. I'm not a farmer anymore, I manage people and paperwork

08-Feb-18
"Interestingly enough, In terms of actual net profit margin, studies show that on average, grocery stores make about half what farmers make. (1.62% vs 3.08%)"

The farmer is at risk with that food anywhere from a few months to a few years. It is in the grocery store anywhere from a few minutes to a few weeks.

"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." Dwight D. Eisenhower

"The small landowners are the most precious part of a state." Thomas Jefferson

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways." John F. Kennedy

"I know of no pursuit in which more real and important services can be rendered to any country than by improving its agriculture, its breed of useful animals, and other branches of a husbandman's cares." George Washington

08-Feb-18
Anyone remembers the .10 cent burger, .05 fries and .05 coke. $2 would make a good weekend with even a 6 pack of Hams.

08-Feb-18
I might have to look at that Safeway stock;

around here in the SF Bay Area....Safeway and Whole Foods are outrageous.

One example; I bought one of those 4 packs of Chicken sausages....same brand I think; Normally $5.99 at my local Safeway $3.99 at Walmart in Arizona Kelloggs Raisin Bran....$2 cheaper at Walmart here vs Safeway

My wife says similar savings on just about everything

08-Feb-18
"Anyone remembers the .10 cent burger, .05 fries and .05 coke. $2 would make a good weekend with even a 6 pack of Hams."

Back in the days when Polio was a real scare and threat?

13-Feb-18
Let's not forget the cost of transportation, packaging, marketing, insurance etc. Maybe not produce, but with some products the packaging cost more than the contents.

13-Feb-18
Beendare: That's because Walmart makes massive profit on all the cheap plastic crap they import from China.

I refuse to even walk in the door of one of their stores. Of course, like everyone else I'd love to save all those $ on my groceries and other things, and my not shopping there won't mean squat to their billions in annual profit. And I'm OK with that...

Maybe to some it's a strange, very small way to show my "American Pride".

13-Feb-18
Wait till this E-log reality hits home with shipping. You talk about prices going through the roof.

13-Feb-18
What's E-log? I did a search but did't come up with anything relevant.

13-Feb-18
Electronic logs for truck drivers. Limiting there drive time to 8 hrs. Will actually power down motors when 8hrs is exceeded.

13-Feb-18
It's a massive game changer for trucking. Basically a huge percentage of trucking is done with fudging log books. ELDs greatly reduce that and rates are climbing. It will even out eventually but shipping will cost more. Whether right or wrong, it's an example of regulation adding cost to the market.

13-Feb-18
At the moment, they do not have control over the truck. They simply electronically log the trucks and driver status. Drivers can exceed daily hours, speeds, etc, but its all there to see when the DOT at the scales plugs in.

Makes it hard to get miles in if you sit for 3 hours waiting on getting loaded, repaired, etc. That's considered on duty and the ELD tracks it. On paper logs, many drivers shortened that on the log so they can get miles in.

13-Feb-18
What y'all are describing is the new "Snowflake Trucking Rules", 'cause all the hard core truckers are getting to be a bit long-in-the-tooth.

Limiting driving electronically to just 8 or 10 hours is a complete joke, and it will fundamentally change the trucking industry. Drivers will never make enough miles to earn a decent paycheck, so, the carriers will have to pay more per-mile, and get less miles per day from the drivers.

It will also drive a lot more freight to the rail, because if the delivery times are almost the same, piggy-back on rail is a whole lot cheaper way to move freight.

Back when I was driving 48+Canada, I don't recall a time when I wasn't having to run 2-3 logbooks just to make my miles appear legal on any given day. It's just the way things were back then. Our dispatchers knew it, the DOT cops at the weigh stations knew it, as did shippers and receivers. I've had DOT guys go through my logbook (the one I gave them) time and time again with a fine-toothed comb, and never once found an error they could write me a ticket for. My loads were always on time, or early if possible, and because of that my dispatchers kept me busy. Drivers who couldn't/wouldn't keep up spent a lot of time sitting in truck stops while the rest of us are out running freight and getting good paychecks.

Dispatchers would give me loads that had to move 1000 miles a day in order to make the scheduled delivery. They knew I couldn't run it legally, but that was just part of the game with DOT that we all played.

Glunt, just for an FYI, there are already a few carriers that will safely shut a truck down a few minutes after a driver reaches the end of their electronically logged hours-of-service. It's my understanding that they access the engine via satellite link, and the begin cutting the power back, which allows the driver to safely get it off the highway.

Complete load of bullhockey if ya ask me. Would love to see one of those snowflake drivers the first time they're out in a -20º blizzard, and they've got to throw on a few sets of 3-railers just to make it to the next exit.

Oh yeah...times they are a-changin'.

13-Feb-18
Hurts the really good responsible drivers, kinda reins in the guys that scare the shat out of me. I don't know

14-Feb-18
I'd guess a large percent of truck drivers today can't even drive a standard shift tranny.

Pussy boys.

14-Feb-18
I don’t have much empathy for the Ag industry. As for food price increases, The Ag industry is responsible for driving up food prices by lobbing Congress to mandate converting corn into ethanol .

14-Feb-18
I believe that all ethanol mandates and supports should disappear immediately. However, since the farm price of corn is 5 cents in a box of cornflakes, ethanol has little to do with grocery food prices.

If ethanol has doubled the price of corn, then it has added 2 cents to a box of corn flakes.

14-Feb-18
"don’t have much empathy for the Ag industry. As for food price increases, The Ag industry is responsible for driving up food prices by lobbing Congress to mandate converting corn into ethanol ."

There's a lot more to the ag industry than corn bud

15-Feb-18
You’ve got to be kidding, thinking converting corn to ethanol only rasies the price of corn flakes. I know the Ag industry is encompasses more than just corn, but the thread title, is food prices, “bud.”

15-Feb-18
Squash, the point is that farm ag prices have little to do with grocery store food prices.

Farm ag prices have cut in half over the past couple of years. Have you seen any change in grocery store prices?

15-Feb-18
I do a fair amount of my grocery shopping at one of our local farmer's markets. I like putting the frog skins right in to the hands of the guy who actually produced the goods.

15-Feb-18
3.69 for diesel, 3.29 for reg gas.

15-Feb-18
2,000gallons of tractor diesel was 2.68 last week

15-Feb-18

HA/KS's Link
This link is to a short video my son made. It include shots of wheat harvest and weather.

https://www.facebook.com/KSFarmImagery/videos/480859202309706/?hc_location=ufi

He said that even though it is a facebook link, you should be able to see it even if you do not have an account.

• Sitka Gear