LINK 14-Feb-18
TGbow 14-Feb-18
HA/KS 18-Feb-18
Bou'bound 18-Feb-18
Bowfreak 18-Feb-18
lawdy 22-Feb-18
shade mt 23-Feb-18
11-Feb-18
I told the Pastor at my wife's church this weekend at the church fish fry to sign me up as a member of his church....

I've not attended church regularly for over 30 years.... I was raised Catholic but this is a Methodist Church.... where everyone is welcome..... I think I pushed myself away from religion because some things in the Catholic religion rub me the wrong way.

My wife is signing me up tomorrow to be a chaperone at church camp this summer. I told her to sign me up to help out at the archery range.

Today was a good day.

11-Feb-18
I also was immersed in a catholic upbringing. Catholic school, camps, etc. after realizing that the Catholic Church hordes valuables while saying they want to help the poor, when I discovered how they protected pedophiles, I got off that train. Good for you BB. I see the good religion does in people’s lives. I’m not at that point yet , however.

11-Feb-18
Good for you BB. Something is calling you. Answer the bell.

The Rock

11-Feb-18
"Today was a good day." -Better than any of us can fathom. I celebrate with you.

11-Feb-18
"I also was immersed in a catholic upbringing. Catholic school, camps, etc. after realizing that the Catholic Church hordes valuables while saying they want to help the poor, when I discovered how they protected pedophiles, I got off that train. Good for you BB. I see the good religion does in people’s lives. I’m not at that point yet , however."

Sooo...... is this all lies too?

11-Feb-18

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo

11-Feb-18
I've left churches too but never left God, hope you help some at camp BB, good choice

11-Feb-18
Let's NOT turn this happy thread into a debate, please. We should all refrain from common CF conduct in light of the news.

11-Feb-18
Good for you, BB. Let be one of many to commend you for your choice, as I'm sure the others will do as well.

11-Feb-18
Don't blame God for misreligion. Blame man.

11-Feb-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo

11-Feb-18
If you want an interesting read on one man's search, read "Muscle and a Shovel" by Michael Shanks.

11-Feb-18
BB. When you take a step toward God then He takes a step toward you. In Revelation Jesus said, Behold I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice then and bid me enter then I will come in and sup with him and he with me. Bid him enter and you will have a relationship with God that is beyond description.

God bless , Steve

11-Feb-18
God Bless B.B. this is good. EVERY religion has its flaws & hypocrisies and abuses. I have found that if someone you love & respect is on board with a FAITH, go with that. Glad you're happy. Mad Dog

11-Feb-18
Good for you Bear. There are more places than a Catholic church (including every place you find people) where people will let you down. God never will.

We tend to try to put the Creator of the entire Universe into our own man-made ideas, institutions, etc.

God is God regardless of us. "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Were ever a more powerful idea put into words?

11-Feb-18

Atta boy Big Bear!!!!!! Seek to Build your relationship with the Savor Jesus Christ and you'll find the happiness that you deserve. This made my day. I too celebrate with you! God Bless brother and stay the course.

11-Feb-18
I heard a fellow say recently, "God doesn't make mistakes." Again, good for you BB.

12-Feb-18
Ask and it will be given to you;seek and you will find;knock and the door will be opened to you.

12-Feb-18
Wonderful news. I'm happy for you.

12-Feb-18
Good for you BB.

12-Feb-18
Good for you BB. I hope your decision provides you what you are looking for.

I grew up attending, and was confirmed in a Lutheran church. Though I no longer attend church, I don't feel like my relationship with God has changed.

Some wil disagree, but I've never felt it necessary to be a member, or attend a specific church every Sunday, to know God. I know the bible tells us to "meet together" as believers, but I've never interpreted that as meaning in a church on a given day. I can meet with and encourage other believers any day anywhere.

Anyway, that's just my own beliefs. I respect others who may differ.

Matt

12-Feb-18
Sorry, I must have double tapped.

12-Feb-18
I think it is awesome Big Bear. Building a relationship with God is the most important thing in life. Congrats on your new beginning.

Atheist,

I truly hope you can see the failure of man and realize that God is just the opposite. Wherever people are involved they will screw up God's perfect plan. He has a place for you and loves you more than you can imagine.

Matt,

I don't feel it is necessary for people to physically attend a church but for me and my walk it is extremely important to fellowship with like-minded people. I need this interaction. Iron sharpens iron and seeing how others live and serve pushes me closer to God and away from my selfish tendencies. Attending church every Sunday is not a requirement for a Christian. However, discipling to others most definitely is a requirement where many of us, myself included, fail too often.

12-Feb-18
Bowfreak,

I understand and respect your position. I guess I've never needed a congregation of like-minded people to re-affirm my beliefs. And I certainly don't need a pastor to interpret the Bible and tell me what to believe, especially since they suffer from the same human failings as the rest of us. I cite Buckiller as an example.

Again, no offense intended to those with a different position.

Matt

12-Feb-18
Thanks fellas.... I think I'm pretty much like you GG...... and I'll probably go to church sometimes but not every week....

My wife was by far even less religious than me..... But the negativity of our job wore on her and she sought to surround herself with positive people..... She's been a 911 dispatcher for about 20 years. She started going to church about 2 years ago.

My mother and father are over 80 now and have always been devout Catholics. They even graduated from a Catholic High School.....

12-Feb-18
Best news of the day! Best of luck to you in your daily walk...and way to go volunteering for the archery range! We are commanded to "fellowship" and it sounds like you found just the right and comfortable place to do so.

12-Feb-18
Congrats Big Bear, I always say you’re either growing closer to God or growing apart, there’s not much middle ground. You are obviously headed the right way.

Church is a sort of hospital for the spiritually sick. You see all sorts of ailments there, from a headache to some that are terminal with cancer. Don’t let those that are sick keep you from being treated.

12-Feb-18
I think the Bible is pretty clear on church attendance. Like many other things it is not required to be a Christian, yet it should be an outpouring as a result of being a Christian.

It’s not unusual for a drunk to drink at home but at some point you usually see them at the bar. Does he have to go to the bar to be a drunk, certainly not.

12-Feb-18
I don't post here on this forum much but this thread is worth it!

Choosing to follow Jesus was the best decision I've ever made. Blessings to you sir in your walk with Him!

12-Feb-18
Bear - "My wife was by far even less religious than me..... But the negativity of our job wore on her and she sought to surround herself with positive people..... She's been a 911 dispatcher for about 20 years. She started going to church about 2 years ago."

My wife is the exact opposite of yours, apparently. She had to leave her church because of the negative people. She now just attends a small bible study with some others that couldn't stand the church, but felt a calling to know the bible better. Well, she started out catholic so maybe she isn't so different...

I hope that find what you are looking for in the Methodist church. Even if you don't start quoting verses in all your bowsite posts (please no), you can still find good people almost anywhere. I volunteered over 500 hours renovating my wife's previous church because I liked the folks who were doing the framing/sheetrocking/tiling/painting/etc even though I suspect my religious views would make Athiest look like Billy Graham. I hope that you find good people.

On a side note, a former co-worker from way back 2 jobs ago was a preacher for the United Church of God. He was just found guilty of murdering his wife after he had multiple affairs on Ashley Madison (why divorce didn't enter his mind is a mystery to me). Maybe you being a cop can be a better influence on some sick folks?

12-Feb-18
Matt,

Not offended in the least and sure didn't mean to offend either. I was just saying that where or how you worship isn't as big of a deal as telling others about the glory of God.

12-Feb-18
Gods Grace covers all of our sins, His Blood Paid the ultimate price for ALL MANKIND Who will ask and Believe in Him Have a God Day My Friends

12-Feb-18
We are all hunters. What are you hunting for... Matt 6:33

12-Feb-18
Awesome post. Congrats brother... it is a decision that will last for eternity. We as mere human beings have so much power and strength through Jesus if we would just open our eye and hearts. When I was young I believed a strong man was a big burly tough guy who showed few emotions. Probably what drove me to 32 years of military (and still going). Now that I am wiser (just a little), I realize a strong man has Jesus behind him... and in front of him. It takes more courage, more strength and more stamina to be a good father,husband, friend and example for society than to flow with the status quo. We are all sinners and always will be but thankfully we have a perfect being that is more merciful than we are capable of.

12-Feb-18
I love how this thread has gone. It is a topic on which most of us have strong opinions, yet comments have been positive and cordial.

These are the personalities that make the Community Forum a worthwhile place to visit and converse showing their best side.

13-Feb-18
It doesn't matter what flavor of church it is just as long it is Christ Center and nothing more, the Spirit will let you know where you belong. God Bless.

13-Feb-18
That's awesome man. Faith is certainly a journey, and everybody's is different. Glad to hear some uplifting and positive news!!!!

14-Feb-18
"It’s not unusual for a drunk to drink at home but at some point you usually see them at the bar. Does he have to go to the bar to be a drunk, certainly not."

The first miracle, as you know, was Jesus turning water into wine, really fine wine too.

He didn't have to go to the pub to partake of the wine which he created. He drank it right there on the spot. Was Jesus a drunk? Hardly, and neither is everyone who tastes the spirits.

14-Feb-18
Awesome, good for you. Power of Positivity. ...

Thanks owl for comment to negativity.

14-Feb-18
I was brought up to know the way of the cross by my grandmother but unfortunately I strayed away and I used excuses about how hypocritical people could be.

Then I realized that people will let you down and even those you look up to will let you down, but God wont. The older I get the more I realize how much of a sinner I am and how much the cross means to me. I don't always like what God decides to do but I know he is righteous and just, even when I lost a child I knew he was in control...but I didn't like it, still don't...but he is just and Holy.

Big Bear, just keep lookin up.

14-Feb-18
TGbow,, No greater loss. My prayers for your angel.

The Rock

14-Feb-18
Foxbo I’ve been known to taste the spirits once or twice a year with me wife. The Bible doesn’t condemn drinking but rather drunkenness. My former pastor( Was Baptist pastor now preaches at a non-denominational biker church) promoted, from the pulpit, having a soda at the local pub to help the bar crowd feel accepted with the church crowd, if ever they darkened the door. I had mission trip meetings with the same pastor in the bar, they serve the best food in town. ;)

My comments were more directed at those not wanting to go to church because of the sinful hypocrites there than it was at those that drink. Just as a drunkard probably goes to a bar to fellowship, feel accepted and get strengthened in his habits, a christian should go to church to fellowship, learn from other more mature christians, be strengthened and held accountable in their faith. The Bible is clear on that.

14-Feb-18
I really enjoyed it when my daughter was a Methodist......they made me feel welcome and at home even though they knew I was just coming to see my her sing in the choir. It was the closest I ever came to joining a church even though I was raised a Presbyterian and technically am a confirmed member of that denomination. Interestingly I just witnessed that kids confirmation into the Catholic church a month ago. Most of you know I'm not a religious person....but I do know that the fellowship you speak of is strong stuff and even I can feel it in a good congregation. I'm glad for you Big Bear. Nothing but good can come of it......

14-Feb-18
Thanks Rocky. Foxbo, you are correct...no where in scripture do I read that it's a sin to take a drink, drunkesness is another issue.

I quit 20 yrs ago..grew up around it playing music at a young age. I'm one of those people that are better off not drinking, once a yr I may have a sip of wine at a special dinner with my wife.

18-Feb-18
Visiting a church in another state today and heard a great message about Heaven. Among other things, he made me realize that many churches have drifted away from Biblical truths such as Heaven and Hell being real places that all of us will enter at some time.

18-Feb-18
Signing up for church is a step towards the only step that matters which is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. I pray you take the step that really matters at some point in the future, but first things first and good for you!

18-Feb-18
So true Grant.

22-Feb-18
My wife and I belong to the little Christian church in our village. We love it both spiritually and socially. The hardest thing for me as a Christian was learning to let go of worrying and let God take over. I used to worry about worrying, it seemed. I am pretty laid back now and things just seem to work out. I am 71 and feel bad for those who are elderly and have no faith. Not a good way to face death.

23-Feb-18
I am so thankful I was brought up going to church. I could never develop a Holier than thou attitude simply because when I'm perfectly honest with myself, its not to hard to find fault in myself at times without looking at others.....but that does not excuse it. Two wrongs never make a right.

If there is one main thing the bible and going to church does its help us to distinguish right from wrong. Contrary to popular belief, right and wrong is not decided by us.

We can say and do what we please, go through life believing what we want, but in the end we will have changed nothing, right will still be right, and wrong will still be wrong. Evil will still be evil, good will still be good.....A man can be "tossed about with every wind of doctrine"....God cannot. He.."changeth not" .......The Bible teaches that core foundation. We can question it....refuse to believe it....change it to suit us....but in the end there it still will be.

The choices we make now are ours to make. At death we will no longer be able to choose, we will have already made them in life.......choose wisely

• Sitka Gear