Three Fingers 21-Feb-18
Three Fingers 21-Feb-18
Three Fingers 21-Feb-18
MT in MO 21-Feb-18
Three Fingers 21-Feb-18
MT in MO 21-Feb-18
19-Feb-18

Norseman's Link
Anyone build there own walk in cooler for game aging/cold storage? need little gadget. Coolbot

would be a fun and useful project. https://www.storeitcold.com/product/coolbot-walk-in-cooler-controller/

19-Feb-18
Interesting. I have a small meat room with a wall AC unit, I'll hang (deer) for 4 or 5 days at 50ish degrees, and they are fine without any spoilage Always wanted it colder though.

Sounds like it bypasses the temp limiter on the AC unit somehow?

19-Feb-18
Heated element on CoolBot ties in with ac temp sensor to trick and keep ac running. Controller regulates temp as you set it.

20-Feb-18
What a great idea.

20-Feb-18

Three Fingers's embedded Photo
I built this a few years back. I used a 12K AC unit I bought from one of the big box stores and hooked up the Coolbot as directed. I made mine 6X6X8 high. It will hold 38°F steady in 90°F heat no problem. The trick is to insulated the heck out of it. I used spray insulation. It is lined inside with ¾ inch plywood. Mine is on skids so I can move it around with my tractor forks. The company has a really good website with specific instructions. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the inside. If anyone is interested, I can take some pictures tonight when I get home and post tomorrow.

20-Feb-18
Would love to see pictures of the inside. We need to build something similar at my parent's ranch and probably at my house in Colorado as well. It is usually a lot warmer in archery season down here in the low country than where I used to live up above 10,000'.

20-Feb-18
I'll take some pictures this afternoon and post them for you.

20-Feb-18
Love me some pics! Thanks

21-Feb-18

Here are a few more pictures. The website recommends sealing all joints with silicone as well as a minimum 8" insulation in the floor, which I did. Very simple to hook up once you have the structure. You just remove the front grate from the AC unit and attach 3 wires, I believe. If I were to change anything, I think I would rig an overhead rail to make it easier to get a deer into the cooler by myself.

21-Feb-18

21-Feb-18

21-Feb-18

I also added insulation to the door.
I also added insulation to the door.

21-Feb-18
I'd add about 4-5 coats of polyurethane to the floor for easier clean up. That way you wouldn't have the drippings soaking into the floor...Or maybe swimming pool paint?

21-Feb-18
Yes it needs something for sure. I had thought about putting a couple inches of sawdust on the floor and just replacing it after a while.

21-Feb-18
Pretty nice walk-in by the way. We had one on the farm that was made out of a reclaimed walk-in cooler from a bar/restaurant. It worked well, but never got below 45 or so...

I built myself a little hunting cabin on our hunting property. Basically a one man cabin that eliminates the need to sleep in the back of the truck or in a tent. I used sanded plywood for the floor and put 6 coats of polyurethane on the floor. Mud and dirt sweeps up real easy. I think it would work for your walk-in too...Good Luck

• Sitka Gear