JacobNisley 23-Feb-18
buff 23-Feb-18
South Farm 23-Feb-18
Bake 23-Feb-18
Woods Walker 24-Feb-18
woodguy65 24-Feb-18
Bob H in NH 27-Feb-18
22-Feb-18
My 8 year old nephew is a voracious reader. I’m going to take him youth turkey hunting this year. And maybe some small game in the fall.

He’s really interested in guns

Are there any beginners gun/shooting books?? Something that would show how to shoulder, aim with open sights, things like that??

I mean this kid will read manuals. But something more interesting than that would be great.

Thanks

23-Feb-18
I don't have any specifically gun book ideas but Steve Rinella's "Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game" (there are 2 volumes "big game" and "small game and waterfowl") are extremely informative and quite interesting. Individual animal species broken down by sections. Chapters on guns and gear. Chapters on different breeds of hunting dogs. Just a ton of good information presented very will with great photography.

23-Feb-18
Bake, I don’t know what state your in but my kids just went through hunter safety, (Michigan) and all that info is the hunter safety book. And in a form he can read. Pick up a book and let him go through, he doesn’t have to test right away.

23-Feb-18
If you can find an old "Handbook for Boys" that the Boy Scouts used to put out I know they used to have a section on shooting and gun safety. Lots of other good stuff young boys may be interested in, too!

23-Feb-18
Thanks for the ideas guys. I didn't even think of the hunter's ed stuff. I ordered a Missouri Hunter's ed study guide for him. See how he likes that to start.

He's not very interested in the actual hunting. More interested in the shooting. I've taken him shooting a couple times, but more to just pull trigger. Haven't really been able to "teach"

24-Feb-18
Read to him from parts of Robert Ruark's "The Old Man And The Boy".

24-Feb-18

woodguy65's embedded Photo
woodguy65's embedded Photo
Good suggestion WW, I have a First edition HB, and I read it to both my kids.

27-Feb-18
One thing I enjoyed reading years ago, "Ted Trueblood Hunting treasury" It's a compilation of many of Ted Truebloods hunting articles. Everything from small game, birds, waterfowl to big game.

• Sitka Gear