woodguy65 23-Feb-18
buff 23-Feb-18
buff 23-Feb-18
Bob H in NH 27-Feb-18
memengako 27-Feb-18
elkmtngear 27-Feb-18
buff 27-Feb-18
22-Feb-18
All the media, solutions, from putting armed guards/police officers in schools, to arming teachers, The smartest solution to the school protection problem, put police “sub-stations” in the schools. City, county, state, whatever. I wish I could say I thought of this, but it was another bowsiter in another thread. Why did I post this under Donald Trump Jr. Only in the hopes that he would somehow see it as he does follow bow site.

22-Feb-18
I also did not think of putting police stations in schools, but the idea definitely should be explored.

22-Feb-18
"I also did not think of putting police stations in schools, but the idea definitely should be explored."

That's a lot of police sub-stations for every school to have one. Sounds like good solution, but on a limited basis.

22-Feb-18
Some cities have a whole lot of schools.... We have dozens in the city I work in....

22-Feb-18
It would solve many problems,,24hr surveillance, kids would be able to have many positive interactions with police, if there were issues at home, a direct link to police. And would a shooter even attempt to go to a police station to have a shootout? No solution is perfect, but I think it’s a great idea.

22-Feb-18
Big bear, in a city with many schools, their are also many precincts? I don’t have all details worked out but again I think a great start.

23-Feb-18
Not true..... Our city is 24 square miles with dozens of schools with one main Police Department and one mini station.....

23-Feb-18
I too noticed the idea on another thread and thought it had merit. Maybe just just put substations at high schools.

23-Feb-18
I mentioned it on another thread. They did this in Albuquerque convenice stores. Of course people complained because their 2:30 am drunk visit for a hotdog was hampered by police in the store!

23-Feb-18
Big bear, you know better than I do for sure, you seem to be against this idea, or am I reading more into your response than I should?

23-Feb-18
No... I think sub stations in the high schools is a viable option.... but we have to come up with protection for all the public schools. I still like the idea of armed guards manning metal detectors at the doors much like courts..... There is rarely any problems inside courtrooms....

23-Feb-18
I personally feel like this is a fantastic idea. It would get our officers in front of our kids on a daily basis to begin positive interactions and develop relationships within the community. There are so many benefits to this I can't even begin to list them.

Big Bear, how would you feel about this if it was mandated in your community from an officer's point of view? Eliminate the one large station in favor of a smaller headquarters with squads/divisions in the schools?

23-Feb-18
Simply not feasible. That everyone is engaged in thinking deep and hard about a solution is heartening. The immediate solution would be a safe staging perimeter area making it nearly impossible to enter a school with a firearm passing a metal detector. The perimeter would be in theory, a moat that must be navigated, isolating the school proper. D.C. employs a similar system and not one firearm since has been found on school property.

The Rock

23-Feb-18
Spike, I would have to agree

23-Feb-18
My original thought was to build new schools and police departments together in New communities. Instead of building a nice police station all by itself. Existing schools would have a "satellite station" if you will, for the police. The police presence alone would have many positive aspects to it. Just spit-balling the idea I geuss.

23-Feb-18
I have been thinking about this. Why limit it to police stations? Why not city offices, county offices, state offices, federal offices?

Even better, why not banks? Maybe there are some other business types that would also be effective deterrents if they were built in schools.

Maybe one reason schools are vulnerable is that we isolate kids from the community. Make schools a part of the community and people might be more inclined to understand them and find ways to protect the kids.

23-Feb-18
Rush is talking about this right now with a caller so it just got National attention.

23-Feb-18
Ha/ks, that is exactly what I thought The first time I heard it.

23-Feb-18
Wood- glad to finally hear some national attention to it

27-Feb-18
Wouldn't work in small to mid sized towns, and possibly cities. How many police would it take. My town for instance we have about 7000 people, 3 schools, 1 police station and at any given time maybe 4-5 police on patrol. The math doesn't work out for scale. That ties up a significant number of officers sitting in a school sub-station

27-Feb-18
I know it works. High rise public housings in the Bronx that's rampant with crime decreased so much when a police sub-station was located there. Police response time was less than 3 minutes, less on the lower floors.

27-Feb-18
Our City has already cut back on Police, and jail space is limited. I'm all for it, but it would be a huge expense to implement Nationwide.

27-Feb-18
Bob, that is why I suggested the state police also, it doesn’t have to be only county sheriffs or police. There are many obstacles, and it would take some time, not a immediate fix, but a good goal to work towards I believe.

• Sitka Gear