Bob H in NH 27-Feb-18
Jim Moore 27-Feb-18
gflight 27-Feb-18
longbeard 27-Feb-18
gflight 27-Feb-18
Salagi 27-Feb-18
sleepyhunter 27-Feb-18
22-Feb-18
Rennet those people? Now they want the President to listen to them.

22-Feb-18
The media was spreading some love when he was talking gun control. Short lived though once he mentioned arming teachers....

23-Feb-18
Make a federal law banning all ARs on school property. Happy now?

23-Feb-18
My son's teacher is the trap coach. If anybody could level a bad guy it'd be her! Having said that I don't believe it is a teacher's job to be expected to meet deadly force head-on; that's not what they became teachers to do...that's law enforcement's job. I don't believe most of them would do it if they could, and I don't believe in most situations I'd even trust the majority of teachers I know with a firearm...they just don't have the fortitude to be killers, justified or not, and who can vouch for their shooting skills. Teachers by nature are gentle and nurturing free spirits (some bleeding hearts); I don't think most have it in them to do what the President is suggesting.

23-Feb-18
South Farm...might depend on your school district. In my experience, urban schools had a much different attitude than rural ones.

I subbed for a number of years in both venues. However, I began subbing more in the rural school where my kids had matriculated and got to be friends with many of their teachers. A surprising number of the teachers there had carry permits, hunted and a couple had military experience. And not all of these teachers were male!

At lunch, I had some discussions about this, especially after a previous shooting. We had discussions on many of the facets discussed here and elsewhere. Problem students seem to be universally identifiable, yet little still has been done to effectively deal with them.

Interestingly, one obvious means of increasing an individual classroom security was identified but prevented by state fire laws: classroom doors must swing out, not in. If they did swing in, a simple rubber door stop would prevent access even if the door were unlocked.

Woodshop projects often were custom stocks for rifles owned, Bingham bow kits, and gun cabinets. All supported by the teacher and allowed by school system.

I would think that since it is not being suggested that teachers be mandated to carry, that those that choose the option to do so (and undergo the proposed training involved) have made the decision that protection of their students falls under their educational duties.

23-Feb-18
Let teachers volunteer to respond. Equip and train accordingly. I can tell you, if I was a teacher in a school under attack, I'd want a weapon.

Also, permit, screen and train volunteers to sit outside of schools fully armed to respond. They would be there specifically for armed threats, not to break up fights or direct kids, etc. Anytime of day. Anywhere and in any number. Just sitting in their autos. Of course, they would be known to administration, staff and LE. Lots of parents are already on school grounds in their cars with their carry sidearms picking up their kids, anyway. Just empower them to be a little more available and specifically trained. Great deterrent, imo.

23-Feb-18
I don't read this as if we are forcing teachers to be armed and forcing them to take on this big responsibility. I'd be satisfied it they just didn't force teachers NOT to be armed. If a teacher already has a carry permit and a gun, and wants to bring it to school to better protect their students, just get out of the way and let them.

23-Feb-18
They (Teachers) wouldn't even have to engage unless an eminent threat presented itself, like some dirt bag firing through a door or kicking it in... RETURN FIRE, Reload and Fire Some More!

Nothing needs to be this complicated. Let them be armed if they so desire, even provide training for those that do. Just the thought of some or a few armed teachers may be enough of a deterrent to prevent this from happening.

23-Feb-18
Nice set-up, hoping the latrine location wasn't set yet :^)

27-Feb-18
Many teachers wouldn't want or I wouldn't trust, but many I would. If a teacher is a CC holder and trained, and the police did some more local training AND the names of armed teachers remained a secret, I'd be for it. I know my son would sign up.

27-Feb-18
That Red Flag law seems like it could be used however authorities would want it. for instance, take a veteran home from any number of conflicts we are in right now. all it would take is a notification that a vet has PTSD or has talked to a counselor and voila, dude loses his .270 that his dad gave him.

Slippery slope.

27-Feb-18
Pay no attention to the gungrabbers Jim. They think more laws will stop the lawbreakers....

27-Feb-18
Most if not all of the shootings would stop as soon as the word of armed personnel at each school got out. Remember these are “gun free” zones. These jokers have no fear going in now. But if all that changed with “armed personnel “ On site, I have a feeling they might have second thoughts

27-Feb-18
Yes longbeard, no more shootings would derail these guys like jtv who want to gradually take our rights until we have none....

27-Feb-18
"Many teachers wouldn't want or I wouldn't trust, but many I would. If a teacher is a CC holder and trained, and the police did some more local training AND the names of armed teachers remained a secret, I'd be for it."

I know of a few teachers and school staff who have undergone the same training as reserve deputies do to be certified. Actually, the teachers and staff were given more training. They are officially deputy sheriffs and can carry at school. They have to put in a minimum of 8 hours each month "on duty" to meet state requirements. And, in the schools where they work, much of the other staff doesn't even know, much less the students.

All this came about because the sheriff of the county these schools are in saw a need for armed personnel beyond the school resource officer (who is also armed), and wrote up a grant to get the funding.

27-Feb-18
Arming teachers is not a bad idea since nothing else has worked to stop school shootings.

• Sitka Gear