gflight 27-Feb-18
Woods Walker 27-Feb-18
Salagi 27-Feb-18
HA/KS 27-Feb-18
HA/KS 27-Feb-18
27-Feb-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
This is Colleen Sanders a local High School teachers story. She wanted this shared all over..

*********************************************** As a high school math teacher at Oak Ridge high school, I am outraged at how the district has treated violent threats at our school. Yes at oak ridge.

In November my life was threatened by a student. Students and parents anonymously turned in the threats . . .

I want to beat her up.

I’m going to f*@#ing kill her!

I’m going to shoot her and the whole school.

These comments were reported by students.

Later that day, in a group chat, a student questioned his intent when he said he was going to shoot me as some of the others in class might of heard the threat as well. Instead of backing down, he reiterated the threat and indicated he hoped they would see what would happen.

That day the school and sheriff investigated the threats and found them to be credible.

The sheriff found guns in their house. Found that he had brought a pellet gun to school in his car and was showing it off to other students as a real gun. They found that he had said lots of disturbing things, like the Las Vegas shooter did it right.

The student was arrested that day and remained in custody for 4 weeks.

I cannot even describe how traumatic this has been to me and my family. My husband testified on my behalf in three different hearings in the court case.

The student plead guilty to two criminal charges. I have a stay away order against this student which is essentially a restraining order for minors.

He was eventually released on house arrest and is monitored by an ankle bracelet.

The fear and anguish we have lived with for the past three months has been overwhelming and all consuming. Our children don’t understand what is going on but they have seen the emotional turmoil and the effect on our household.

Everyone told us that he should easily be expelled for this.

The expulsion hearing was the day after the horrific high school shooting in Parkland, Florida. After hearing all this information, The district’s expulsion panel decided to NOT EXPEL HIM.

It’s unfathomable to me.

They did not kick him out of the district, instead gave him the choice of where to go to school. He decided to stay at the continuation school to finish out his senior year - so that it would look better for his college applications.

Yes. You read that correctly. Not only is he not expelled, he may continue on to college and may get the opportunity to participate in college athletics, as if nothing ever happened.

I’m sharing this because I’m outraged at the district’s decision. If this behavior isn’t grounds for expulsion, then what is? Why are they not choosing to protect the thousands of students in the district and hundreds of teachers?

I’m also sharing this because this community needs to be aware that this is happening. We can’t be naive in thinking it won’t happen here. There has been a complete lack of communication that this type of event has even happened at orhs.

In my opinion, there should be a no tolerance policy with this type of behavior, violent threats against innocent people. In this era, it can not be taken lightly.

Two of the three middle schools - pleasant valley and marina middle school have experienced violent threats in the month of February.

All four high schools in the district have had recent violent threats as well.

The school board has a meeting this Tuesday at Ponderosa High school at 6:30 pm. Please join us in and let it be known that this type of behavior can not be tolerated here.

**please share this with our community

27-Feb-18
Democrats want gun violence so they can get everyone on board for more gun laws....

27-Feb-18
X2 g-man. They dance on the dead bodies before they're cold.

27-Feb-18
A cousin of mine was a math teacher. He was cornered in the bathroom a few years ago by 2 thugs who wanted their grade changed. When Paul refused, they decided to beat him. What they didn't realize was he was a martial artist and so he fought his way successfully out of the bathroom. The school fired him, the students stayed in school. He ended up having to sue the school (and won for wrongful dismissal), but it ruined his career.

27-Feb-18
Teaching is a dangerous profession. Many of he dangers are very different from other dangerous professions, but it is dangerous and getting more so.

27-Feb-18
Different kind of danger, tru. Many a good teacher lost their job and their profession by rumors started by one student.

OTOH, others actually do despicable acts and somehow keep their jobs.

Added: Yes, there is more physical danger traveling to and from school than in school for both students and teachers.

• Sitka Gear