7mm08 07-Mar-18
sleepyhunter 07-Mar-18
Annony Mouse 07-Mar-18
Bowbender 08-Mar-18
sleepyhunter 08-Mar-18
Hunting5555 08-Mar-18
bigeasygator 08-Mar-18
28-Feb-18
Like Mr. Cummings, I neither have nor have ever wanted an AR type rifle. Not that I think they're inherently evil or some such nonsense, but simply because I think they're ugly and I prefer more "traditional" looking firearms. And note that I said LOOKING, because many of the other firearms I do have are mechanically the same weapon as an AR.

I have a cousin who I keep in email contact with, and she sent me an email the other day about the AR and how they should be banned because "they're a sniper rifle".

I'be been thinking about my response to that, as I do NOT want to be harsh or offensive to her, I just simply want to educate and hopefully change some preconceived notions she may have.

So not ever having owned an AR style rifle can some of you who do/have explain a bit about their capabilities as a sniper weapon? I know that most all the rifles that snipers DO use, while being "modern" looking in many respects still are bolt actions. Rapid fire is NOT the purpose of a sniper's weapon but ACCURACY is. Or am I incorrect on this?

Here in Illinois we c an only deer hunt with shotguns. I have several semi-autos and doubles which I use for bird hunting, but my deer gun is a Browning A-Bolt. It's stocked like a rifle and has a rifle trigger and with the right sabots will have 3 rounds touching in a paper target at 100 yards if I do my job and achieve the goal of "one shot, one kill". I would think that a sniper's goals would be the same.

28-Feb-18

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
While without the accuracy of a bolt action rifle, the AR platform is fairly capable in certain extended range scenarios. Certain modifications can be made to accurize the rifle, including upgrading the barrel, optics, stock, trigger, etc. I would go as far as to say in certain scenarios, an AR platform sniper rifle is far more useful than a bolt action rifle. These would be scenarios where targets would be engaged at mid range distances (say, 200-500 yards), where follow up shots might be necessary. The low recoil of the AR platform allows you to maintain sight window and also put more rounds down range quicker. Lastly, should the scenario evolve into one that becomes more CQB oriented, a sniper would much rather be carrying an AR based gun than a bolt action rifle. This would be something like engaging targets from a snipers nest, but then having to exit the battlefield via a street or a building where you might encounter enemies.

There are a number of very popular semiautomatic rifles built off the AR platform used by our military, chambered in both 7.62 and 5.56. Above is a picture of an example I built based off of the MK-12.

28-Feb-18

Woods Walker's Link
"While without the accuracy of a bolt action rifle, ...."

That's what I thought. I saw a webpage that featured Chris Kyle's rifles and every one of them were bolt actions.

28-Feb-18
That wasn’t every rifle Chris Kyle used. I know he also used the MK-12 and the M-4/M-18 quite a bit depending on the mission. He talks about them extensively in the book American Sniper.

28-Feb-18
now that's a gun Tim from tool time would want... uughh uughh

28-Feb-18
I think the first step is to see what definition of a "sniper rifle" your cousin is using. I'll bet it's not what you and I might think of as a sniper rifle.

28-Feb-18
Lol thanks scentman

28-Feb-18
I think for the most part it's her perception that it's an, "evil looking", "military style" weapon. She knows nothing about firearms and is repeating the BS the MSM promotes.

28-Feb-18
My Sig 716 will reach out to 600 yrds accurately no problem.

28-Feb-18
WW,

In my experience, anti-gunners have no desire to learn about the differences in firearms. So, any attempt to educate your cousin will likely be a waste of time. You'd have a better chance at teaching a 3rd grader nuclear physics.

IMO, you'd be better served asking your cousin if she'd be in favor of banning cell phones, since texting while driving causes far more deaths than ARs do. You probably won't change her mind about guns, but you may make her re-evaluate her position, at least.

Matt

28-Feb-18
Technically most any rifle could be a sniper rifle. My mostly-factory .300 RUM is a deer and elk rifle. But it'd be a hell of a sniper rifle with a bigger optic, or different barrel. If I had to pick a "sniper rifle", between my deer rifle and my AR, I'd choose the deer rifle.

Carlos Hathcock used a Win. Mod 70 30-06 for at least some of his many sniper kills. I know I've read other accounts from very early Vietnam snipers that used the 30-06 Mod 70 that were essentially stock except for a heavy barrel.

In fact, I'd argue the AR in 5.56 wouldn't be the best "sniper rifle" because of wind drift issues and ballistic coefficient of that little bullet. Most deer rifles would be just as good, if not much better "sniper rifle" than a 5.56 AR.

28-Feb-18

Scar Finga's embedded Photo
Scar Finga's embedded Photo
YEP... The definition of "Sniper Rifle" is very open to interpretation. This is a custom built 223. and I can shoot 5 shot groups at two hundred yards that you can cover with a quarter (on a calm day)... this is prone and using my pack as a rifle rest. I AM NOT a great rifle shot, I am mediocre at best! Is this a "Sniper Rifle"? Not by my definition. I would rather use my custom 300 Win. Mag, it can do that same group at 500-700 yards. I don't shoot that far, and I can't shoot that good. But, my buddy can and has using my rifle. The rifle is way better than I will ever be. I think in the right hands any rifle that is fairly well built is capable of being a sniper rifle... It's not ALL about the weapon, it's mostly about controlled breathing, controlled heart rate, trigger control and follow through.

JMO.

28-Feb-18
I actually have the AR fever right now. I'm considering two AR builds for fun and enjoyment . . . . (I haven't started either built yet)

One would be a 6.5 Creedmoor built on the LR308 action, set up as a longer range coyote/deer rifle. 22" or 24" barrel. Try to keep it fairly light. Nice big optic on it. Bipod. A sniper type rifle :)

The second, and I'm about to send off for the tax stamp, would be a short-barreled rifle in .300 ACC Blackout, which I would build off the AR15 action. I'm thinking a 9" barrel (if the ATF approves). Short handguard. Surefire suppressor (if I can get the tax stamp). Probably some type of Eotech optic with magnifier. Big bright surefire light mounted on the rail.

I don't NEED either one. But they would just be fun I think.

28-Feb-18
Sniper just means shooting from concealment.

As far accuracy goes, the M4 platform the shorter barreled AR is built around is by far not near as accurate as a longer barreled rifle commonly associated with bolt action style chambers.

28-Feb-18
all around gear platform and can be whatever you want it to be. Colt made a heavy bbl which could be a sniper rig. They are fun to shoot and can be accessorize do to the hilt it's the looks that get people who don't know anything about guns, my 10/22 could be labels as a sniper rifle and can shoot high capacity mags. It's histeria that is sweeping the news and they frame it as evil. The at is a jack of all trades, be it hunting, defense or offensive, but it's not the best, for a battle rifle or assault rifle an AK rules. Your cousin is not going to change her mind, very few anti gunners do, but it's worth a try.

28-Feb-18
WW, like the others, I think you are fighting a hopeless battle with your cousin.

Ask her if she is ready to outlaw cars..... People use cars to break the law and drive drunk killing people everyday!!! Some cars go fast, some slow, some are big, some are small, but in the end they will all kill someone if someone decides to break the law and drive drunk.....

Using a legal object, to commit an illegal act. So they are already breaking the law by committing an illegal act. They really think making the object illegal will change anything???

28-Feb-18
Bake...been thinking of building the same sort. Have two lowers that are begging to be completed.

I built my first AR and it turned into a really fun project--just looking at what was available to make it "uniquely" mine. I had purchased a pair of lowers for a father/son build, but our house fire delayed the project. My son Smith built his while out in WY and kept bugging me to finish mine. I finally did mine a little over a year ago.

Had a chance to pick up two stripped lowers on a good deal and am planning on building my .300 Blackout with an integral suppressor (one stamp vs SBR+ suppressor and would be of similar length). My son is urging me to do the Creedmore build on the other.

If one looks at the number of different calibers (.22 on up) that can be shot from the AR platform, it is easy to see why it has become such a popular weapon. For someone on a budget, the lower is the actual firearm and different uppers can be purchased without having to go through a FFL. Thus, one gun can serve multiple purposes different swappable uppers. Parts are readily available, so even a low budget AR can be improved incrementally "on the cheap". I recently upgraded my trigger.

I don't shoot my AR as much as I probably should. It was more fun and satisfying putting it together. Still, from my hands, it probably is more accurate than my ability to shoot.

BTW, like bows, it is easier with the wife to build than bring another gun into the house. Little packages don't arouse suspicion like a long box ;o)

28-Feb-18
Ooooo........Super K's on the wall! NICE!!!! (You can see where my interest lies, they were the first thing my eye went to....!)

28-Feb-18
Man!! Pic isn't showing up for me :)

The wife thing is why I'm building as well. Easier to justify a couple hundred bucks here and there over a period of time than a big purchase at once :)

Plus, I bought a Bushmaster years ago, and pretty much nothing on it is stock anymore except the main lower, the upper receiver only, and the bolt group. It's got after-market trigger, buttstock, barrel, handguard, grips, etc. Doesn't make any sense to spend $500 to $700 on a rifle that I would tear apart and build back to what I wanted it to be.

28-Feb-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Not a "sniper rifle". Not an "assault weapon." Just a whole lotta fun

28-Feb-18
Mouse: Are those Graylings?

28-Feb-18
As stated "sniper" doesn't mean what she thinks it means.

The correct response is that yes, it can be used as a sniper rifle (like any rifle can) and since the importance of gun rights centers around an armed citizenry capable of fighting against military, that's a good thing. Any good fighting force should include snipers.

The 2A isn't about duck guns.

28-Feb-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
I’ve done quite a bit of sniping years ago. This was my weapon of choice. I was lethal with it. Also knew my ballistic drop at 100 yds. My boss’s son would wait for the bus at 100 yds. First shot, fire for effect. After that he was dancing.

28-Feb-18
"Sniper just means shooting from concealment."HDE said it best. That said, a .22 single shot could be a sniper weapon.

I think your do-goodnik cuz needs an education on media generated hysteria.

My son has a built up AR-15 that can stack 'em under a 2 bit piece out to 300 yards. Good optics, good barrel and bolt group. Easy money. Has it set up to hunt speed goats out here in Nv.

28-Feb-18
Lou...the recurve is my son's that was given to him. Like me, he shoots longbows. Most of the others are Shrew models (Ron LaClair). Smith and I had several father/son sets...one is an authorized Shrew clone made by Carl Miller...won in a B4K auction here.

Not shown is my Javaman Elkheart...copperhead skins over Osage. Greg Coffee makes a great bow. He used to make Shrews for Ron.

28-Feb-18
Woods - for the uneducated shooter you need to keep your answer very simple. If they need a more technical response let them ask for more detail later.

The typical AR only shoots a tiny .22 caliber bullet (the same size as a boy scout rifle) only flying faster. The bullets are generally designed to wound rather than kill. It is a medium power medium range rifle, that shoots one bullet with each trigger pull, firing no more rapidly than a pistol.

A sniper rifle is more accurate, far more powerful, and has a much greater range.

28-Feb-18
My son just happened to send me a pic of his AR builds today. Thought I would share:

The big one is 6.5 Creedmore, his father/son AR build and a .300 Blackout AR pistol.

Lou

Sometimes Crowder is way overboard, but this video is worth sharing with your cousin. This video is great because Crowder has a conversation without any hysterics by either of the participants. Rational and respectful conversation that one never ever sees from those who speak holophobia propaganda from the anti-2A crowd.

28-Feb-18

Annony Mouse's embedded Photo
Annony Mouse's embedded Photo
Forgot pic ;o)

28-Feb-18
Unnecessary for any sporting purpose in the woods.

28-Feb-18

Amoebus's Link
Wow! Longest confirmed sniper kill is a Canadian at 3,871 yds.

28-Feb-18
"Unnecessary for any sporting purpose in the woods."

Have your ever gone Cougar hunting without an AR?

28-Feb-18
How about varmint hunting?

28-Feb-18
The Supreme Court said, "when the able-bodied men of a nation are trained in arms and organized, they are better able to resist tyranny" (Heller 2008). But you go ahead and keep beating that drum for life, liberty, and the preservation of hunting rifles, there 'Bou.

28-Feb-18
"Unnecessary for any sporting purpose in the woods" Last i knew this is still the USA and it is run by law and constitution... and you would have a whole lot of opposition on that remark.

28-Feb-18
Built one the same as Pat’s. If you’re in a nice open area and have an altitude advantage an AR is fantastic on coyotes.

28-Feb-18
My AR10 in 7mm-08 is sub MOA with factory ammo. I haven't reloaded for this gun specifically, but it might do even better with the right hand rolled ammo.

28-Feb-18

Lots of fine rigs being posted! Now I wanna play!

28-Feb-18
DAMMMMMNNNNN BEG! I know where i'm headed when the Zombie liberal apocalypse happens!

28-Feb-18
"Sometimes Crowder is way overboard, but this video is worth sharing with your cousin. "

?? No video or link posted.

28-Feb-18

Fixed

28-Feb-18
Fighting back...LOL Courtesy of Moonbattery:

Demand an NRA Cake of Your Local Progressive Baker

Militant homosexuals have made a sport of searching out bakeries owned by Christians, demanding that they prepare a cake explicitly celebrating blasphemy, and then suing them if they refuse to betray their faith. Liberal courts eagerly join in the fun, crushing the businesses out of existence with monstrous fines for “discrimination” against a favored group. We have waited in vain for militant homosexuals to play this game on a Muslim bakery. In light of businesses joining the anti-NRA lynch mob, I hope we don’t have to wait in vain for someone to try this:

An NRA member needs to find the most progressive bakery he can, and then request an AR-15-shaped cake for a Second Amendment celebration. Walk into the store wearing an NRA shirt and hat. Openly carry a gun if you’re legally allowed. Ask for the top of the cake to be decorated with words like “In celebration of the NRA.”

When the mortified SJW baker refuses, sue her.

A taste of their own medicine might do progressive bullies some good.

28-Feb-18
The 6.5 Creedmore is a sweet round for long or short range and it's an AR-10 platform. For those of you wanting to shoot distance, don't look past the 6.5 Grendel, which is an AR-15 platform. You get about 70-80% of what the Creedmore has ballistics wise for 30-50% of the cost. and it's cheaper to shoot as well. It won't reach out like the Creedmore, but it still gets out there and performs well. If you're trying to save $, spend $ on barrel and trigger and then get everything else as cheap as you can find it. If you don't care what it costs, Noveske is a good way to go.

For those that are on the fence, the lower is the part that requires the FFL and all the paperwork, the rest you can just buy and they mail it to wherever. After Sandy Hook prices skyrocketed for lowers and ammo, which hasn't happened yet as far as I know. I paid about $55 for my lowers maybe 10 years ago, not sure what they are now, but if any sort of legislation comes of this latest shooting they'll be considerably more.

01-Mar-18
One thing mentioned is that the AR platform is good for firearm training...there are .22LR models and most any AR can be easily converted to shoot .22--cheaper ammo=more shooting/training.

Scale down to a .22 LR AR for mastery of the basics and cost-effective training.

01-Mar-18
BEG, I think they have a 12 step program for the issue you are dealing with in those pictures!!!!

01-Mar-18
"Unnecessary for any sporting purpose in the woods."

I have never owned an AR15, and quite likely never will, as I don't need for anything and have other things I like spend money on. But I am fairly certain that rights are not determined by arbitrary definitions of "need." No ones "needs" two houses. No one "needs" to own a second car. No one "needs" to spout their opinions on the internet. The internet was "unnecessary" for the free expression of speech for all the centuries before it was developed. Just because something is not a "need" or is "unnecessary" does not entitle the government to ban it.

Bowhunting, as far as wildlife management is concerned, is probably "unnecessary." I'm pretty sure guided mountain lion hunts are "unnecessary." I'll likely never go on one, but that doesn't mean I want them banned.

We can by all means have a conversation about gun crime in America (way down over the last several decades, actually) but whenever someone wants to enter into the conversation by calling for something to banned (or Constitutional rights to be curtailed) because something is "unnecessary" (according to to their subjective judgment) then we have gone far beyond the bounds of logic or reason.

01-Mar-18
Hunting5555, you mean the depression that sets in when I realize I can’t shoot them all at the same time and I have to pick?? Haha I actually had no desire to ever own one. Actually didn’t buy my first “tactical” rifle until 2014.

02-Mar-18

02-Mar-18
My neighbor has 500 acres of corn and soy beans. Even though the media say we use the AR 15 for shooting people, mine keeps the neighbor's fields free of ground hogs. From the time I was a kid, I shot ground hogs with 243, 270, 30-06, 22-250, 222 swift, 30/30, 257 Roberts and 22 hornet. Now I use an AR 15 and don't plan on long range shots, I love to sneak up on them as close as possible and nail them with a 42 grain 223 ballistic tip bullet.

BTW, my father was a gun smith so I had use of many weapons from the time I was 5 years old. Still have the single shot 22 he gave me for Christmas when I was 5. I gave the 257 Roberts, and ammo, to my daughter.

02-Mar-18

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
I need to buy these by the CASE!
Woods Walker's embedded Photo
I need to buy these by the CASE!
They should make a version that can shoot these.......

03-Mar-18
Never wanted or had a need for one. Now me wantee

03-Mar-18
Me too. Now if I only had a spare grand sitting around somewhere........

03-Mar-18
Build one. Get the lower for under $100, with a lower parts kit, assemble it, and get an upper when you can.

03-Mar-18
Hmmm......good idea. I've got plenty of Gorilla Glue so it shouldn't be too hard to do!

03-Mar-18
Putting together a lower is not tough. Buy a complete upper for it.

03-Mar-18
Further to what bk said, you can own one lower and have dozens of different uppers for it. The uppers are not considered firearms and can be purchased directly from online retailers.

03-Mar-18
But do all uppers go with all lowers?

03-Mar-18
If there are the same action length, yes. The AR 10 is 308 length, the AR 15 is 223 length. So, you could have a lower, and uppers in 556, 6.5 Grendel, 300 blackout, 204 Ruger, and all work together.

03-Mar-18
Buff, more or less, yes, all AR uppers and lowers work together. There are guns that get confused with with ARs that have slight differences that aren’t interchangeable (SCAR, Sig MPX/MCX, etc) with AR parts.

03-Mar-18
ok you list a few that aren’t interchangeable, is there a list of “compatible uppers and lowers”

03-Mar-18
If you buy an AR-15 lower, it will work with all AR-15 uppers. The MCX, MPX, SCAR, etc uppers and lowers won’t be labeled AR-15. My point was to just be slightly careful on what you buy. Some variants of “tactical” rifles aren’t built off the true AR platform.

03-Mar-18
They are super easy to assemble from parts. If you watch sales and slowly gather parts, you can build some great ARs pretty inexpensively.

03-Mar-18
Another vote for building. They're stupid easy to put together. And I'm mechanically disabled. My mechanical IQ is probably about 40. But I can put together a complete AR with relative ease. I've switched out barrels, gas blocks, triggers, etc.

I have two 80% lowers in the mail to me right now too :)

03-Mar-18
I built mine (above) for under $600...and the lowers that I purchased were during the last big "let's get rid of ARs" movement under Obama and I paid a premium price for them (>$100). A few months ago, I came across a deal and got two more stripped lowers for $35 each.

Building the lower was easy....lots of YouTube videos and how-to's on the Internet. I built mine in under an hour.

03-Mar-18
Mouse, that was the same point I was making. If you think you might ever want one, buy the lower now. You don't need to build it out right now. For whatever reason, they track and regulate the easiest to make/cheapest part on the gun and everything else can just be shipped to your house and is "over the counter" so to speak. I paid around $55+FFL fees for my lowers and then you can build from anywhere from $400-$5k if you try hard to waste money. If you only paid in the $100's after Sandy Hook, you didn't do too bad, I saw them for over $300. Ammo sure got crazy too.

03-Mar-18
Geeze.....I started this thread for an entirely different reason, and now it looks like I'll be spending money!!! Thanks guys......I think...... ;-)

03-Mar-18
If you are going to build one, you better get started. Suppliers of AR components are swamped with orders and many components are sold out. Good luck finding a complete lower for $100.

03-Mar-18
I'm still finding parts available...depends on where you look.

03-Mar-18
I am thinking about a 6.5 Grendel. Don't need it but would like to have one. How many tools do I need to buy? Punches/heavy vise?

04-Mar-18
I think the Grendel is an overlooked round. You can build one for 3x cheaper than a Creedmore. It's not as good as the Creedmore, but it's close at a fraction of the price. The only special tool you need is the one to screw on the barrel and it's not significant.

04-Mar-18
arpartsfinder.com

My brother just bought a bolt gun in a Grendel. Pretty nice little round and within its limitations very effective. Creedmoors are great and I have built a few on bolt platforms. Everyone one of them shot factory 143 ELDX absolutely fantastic. So good I never even ended up buying a set of dies.

04-Mar-18

D2's embedded Photo
D2's embedded Photo
Custom AR in 6.5 grendel, not even broken in yet, and she'll shoot sub MOA....

04-Mar-18

Annony Mouse's Link
Just got this in the mail...one of several sources.

04-Mar-18
Now you all have got me to wanting to build an AR. Thanks guys, thanks a bunch. .224 Valkyrie here I come. Maybe if I build it like Johnny Cash (one piece at a time), I can have it finished before the bride figures out what I've done. ;)

04-Mar-18
David...all the parts are small. Build it and sneak it into you gun safe.

Gee, Honey...they must have reproduced in the dark!

04-Mar-18
If this get's me divorced I'm blaming YOU guys!!!!

04-Mar-18
Jack - I don't know. I used to sneak recurves and even a longbow into the house from time to time and not let Kathy find them for a while. She never knew the date when I actually bought them. However, in a month and a half we will have been married 30 years and she's caught on to those tricks. I used to say I was the smart one because I married her but I'm beginning to think I've been played. ;)

04-Mar-18
I'm not sure if can, but looking into one or two 80% lowers for now to get a foot in the door. Want a 458 socom as big bear backup in the brush medicine. (BBB in da B) 7 rounds of 45/70 in a short fast semi auto.....

If not, have to order a complete lower through my guy. Maybe two. But seems easy enough to finish out an 80?

04-Mar-18
There are some advantages to 80% lowers but I wouldn't say they are the "easy" way to get started. Tooling, machinery and jigs to do a good job mean they can end up costing more than just starting with a $50 stripped lower.

Stripped lowers just require assembly. 80% lowers require machining and then assembly.

05-Mar-18
David...nice thing about ARs is that they basically all look alike, making it easier to confund the wife...but honey, I just bought new accessories. Gun jewelry....just like you get. ;0)

05-Mar-18

Salagi's Link
I asked my wife if she would like to go to Tulsa OK April 7. Her only brother lives there as does a niece and a great-nephew. We don't get to see the kid as much as we would like as Tulsa is 4 hours away.

She hasn't asked me why I picked that date. ;) But just in case any of you are interested and close, I'm betting AR parts will be in abundance.

05-Mar-18
Too bad your trip is next month. March is "Buy Your Husband an Gun" month...

05-Mar-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
I’m safe.

06-Mar-18
Got a call from my son Smith last night. He got a deal from his FFL friend and is building a special snowflake AR in memory of the present moment of anti-2A sentiment by the hysteric media and holophobe politicians and talking heads.

06-Mar-18
Ok guys I have a couple more questions, What are some other reasons to have a AR, than a more. “traditional “ hunting rifle, I’m thinking I can buy a “more traditional “ rifle cheaper than a AR, and to change out to another caliber, seems to be cheaper to buy another rifle instead of another upper. I’m really wanting to get a AR in 5.56/233, for coyote. Any other benefits/ negatives I’m missing besides multiple places to mount scopes, lights, etc. .

06-Mar-18

Seapig@work's embedded Photo
Here is an AR that I built for my daughter.

Area 53 upper and lower receivers, Faxon Flame Fluted 5.56 NATO barrel with 1 in 7 twist, Syrac Ordnance piston system, Nordic free float hand grip, Rogers Super Stock.

That's a 40 round mag in the well now but we usually shoot with 20s. The rifle just looked 'hungry' without a magazine in it and the 40 was most readily available at the time of posing.

It will shoot .75 MOA with XM855 rounds.

Its PINK. Prison PINK.

She loves it!

06-Mar-18
Maxine, are you trying to say you're a panty waist when it comes to shooting/owning firearms?

06-Mar-18
I'm waiting for an AR platform in .470 Nitro Express.

06-Mar-18
One of the best reasons for an AR is that rights are like muscles. When not exercised, they tend to atrophy.

06-Mar-18
Seapig...you paint it yourself? Love the barrel.

Buff

A lot of sales right now on complete ARs for less than $500. This is a reasonable base to start if interested in having different caliber guns for specific purposes. Even a low end AR can be improved over time with easy replacement of the standard parts with premium ones over time (again, a money saver).

Depending on numerous factors, different uppers can be bought and sent via USPS, UPS, FedEx. etc. direct to you without having to go through a FFL. The cost should be cheaper for each additonal upper (caliber/source dependent) than the complete AR. This makes one purchase of an AR a multipurpose tool. And, remember, you do not have to go through a FFL for every purchase. There are a lot of sources and options available.

Another benefit is that any accessories you put on one upper can easily be transferred to another...another potential source of savings if you are going to use one lower for multiple uppers.

You can easily make your AR into a pistol caliber carbine with a magazine adapter that will accept 9mm Glock mags.

A lot of info and great knowledge base at AR15.com.

06-Mar-18
buff, as the owner of plenty of AR-type guns and plenty of traditional hunting rifles, here's where I see the benefit to an AR.

1. Self-defense - the AR has become my go to platform for home defense. Not only does the 5.56 pack plenty of punch (you certainly need to be aware of penetration and the direction you are shooting it), but the real benefit IMO is the capacity. Having 30 rounds immediately at your disposal is just about impossible with a pistol, shotgun, or traditional hunting rifle.

2. Versatility -- it's not just about having a place to put accessories, it's the fact that you can accessorize so easily and extensively to suit your needs. You can run an AR with an accurized 20" barrel, high-powered scope, bipod, and stock designed for long-range/precision engagements -- and in 30 seconds you can swap that upper for one with a red dot, 10.5" barrel (with the appropriate ATF stamp), silencer, light/laser, and vertical foregrip that turns into the perfect home defense weapon...or, if you're like me, you just buy another lower to stick that second upper on :-) You can't do that with a Model 700.

3. Ease of shooting -- ARs are incredibly easy to shoot, and a great option for beginners given the low recoil.

It all depends on what you're looking for out of a gun.

06-Mar-18
"One of the best reasons for an AR is that rights are like muscles. When not exercises, they tend to atrophy."

YES!!!

06-Mar-18

Mouse, I painted the barrel. The receiver set came in that color and it took me a while to find the matching color in a ceramic coating. The flutes are painted, the outer surface of the barrel was wiped clean before curing of the Cerakote.

The flame flute is created by continuously varying the depth of the fluting mill bit. The flame feature seems to reduce barrel harmonics and improves the accuracy capability of the barrel.

And it looks cool!

Buff, I NEVER wanted a black rifle until Slick Willie Clinton told me that I didn't need one. I immediately went out and bought an HK91. Then Armalite resurrected the AR10, so I got one of those. Reasons to own one? (1) Government doesn't want you to. (2) Fun to shoot. (3) Easy to carry. (4) Rugged. Even the pretty pink ones. (5) Easy to clean. (6) Easy to build/repair/upgrade/customize.

My older son built one up using a Spike's Tactical lower. He spent most of his resources on the lower receiver and trigger components and then just put a complete Adams Arms upper on it. His intent was to have a great rifle base and then swap uppers as needed. His next move will be either an upper in 6.5 Grendel or a suppressed 300.

Versatility!

06-Mar-18
""Name calling and tough talk are often part of the same mindset.""

LOL. Now go tell the teacher men ole sleepy is picking on you again. Poor baby.

07-Mar-18

Panhandle Bob's embedded Photo
Panhandle Bob's embedded Photo
I agree 100% with the reasons to own one that are stated above. I remember how much I enjoyed shooting my Army issued M16 back in the day, so a few weeks ago I became an AR owner...I think I made a good choice for entering AR ownership with a complete rifle...took my GF shooting this weekend and she absolutely had a blast! I am just get her into shooting handguns and we've been hitting the range every week for her to try out different ones...I want her to have one that feels good to her and she enjoys shooting. She was a little nervous about the AR...because of the media hype about the way it looks and such, but after the first few shots there was no more hesitation and she was emptying 30 round mags as fast as I could load them :)

At dinner Saturday night, after shooting the AR Saturday afternoon, this was her start of conversation... Her "Did we shoot all the bullets?" Me "No, not even close" Her "So, we can shoot again in the morning?" Me Laughing "Of course we can"

07-Mar-18
Doctors and motor vehicles kill a lot more people than guns. Organized sports rank pretty high also. One in four car accidents are caused by cell phones now. Let's outlaw those "sniper weapons" too!

07-Mar-18
" ...men ole sleepy..."

Fumble thumbs with the Galaxy 7 edge.

07-Mar-18
Of course, most any firearm may be updated and accessories added...

08-Mar-18
Well, the biggest take away on this thread is that some of you guys have really nice ARs. Mine is just a simple M&P 15 with a reflex sight and FDE hardware.

Oh, and BEG is an AR slut. Lol.

08-Mar-18

sleepyhunter's embedded Photo
sleepyhunter's embedded Photo
Yep, my monster truck gets me to the local pond and my tricked out Bass Boat with the 300 hp motor really helps me tear up those perch and bluegills.

08-Mar-18
"Oh, and BEG is an AR slut." LOLOLOLOL I got a bad case of AR envy from his pictures!!! LOLOL

Dang KPC, I'd hate to unload the groceries from that after the wife got home!

I second the "I bought one because the government doesn't want me to have one!" reason. I bought my first one a few months before Ole Barry was reelected and before Sandy Hook occurred.

08-Mar-18
Thanks fellas...I think LOL :-) you should see how much ammo I keep handy as well...I'm one of those guys that the gun control advocates and MSM would go crazy about haha

• Sitka Gear