NvaGvUp 21-Mar-18
Shuteye 21-Mar-18
NvaGvUp 22-Mar-18
bigswivle 22-Mar-18
Shuteye 22-Mar-18
NvaGvUp 22-Mar-18
Will 23-Mar-18
01-Mar-18
I dunno' about where ya'll are at, but here in Reno and in the nearby Sierras, March is definitely coming in like a Lion.

It's been snowing, mostly hard, since daybreak and is forecast to continue to do so until mid-day tomorrow.

It's been 34 here at the house for the past few hours, so it's not piling up on the street and sidewalks at all, but that will change later today when the temperature drops a few degrees.

Up at the Mt Rose Ski Resort, which is less than 7 miles away, albeit 3,000' higher, by noon they'd already had 11"at the lodge with a LOT more forecast. How much more? 4'-5' more. It's quite possibly going to be the biggest snowfall we've seen in several years, at least higher up.

Winds on the mountain ridges will be up to 125 mph and even here on the bench are forecast to gust up to 50 mph.

IOW, it's a good day to stay inside, fix a great 'comfort food' dinner, and have a glass or three of wine.

01-Mar-18
Yeah, Kyle... spoke with a cousin earlier who's not far from you over on the California side. They expecting two to three feet. Back here in the northeast, we're about to get a deluge... been told to expect flooding. It must be dry somewhere.

01-Mar-18
"It must be dry somewhere."

Kansas is in the worst winter drought ever recorded. Drier that the Dust Bowl and drier than the 50's which were worse than the Dust Bowl.

01-Mar-18
The temp is in the mid 50's and raining lightly here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I put in a new kitchen sink so I didn't fish this morning. Had to get that done since white perch are starting to run up the river. I am plumb worn out from laying on my back plumbing.

01-Mar-18
Henry,

We'd been very dry here as well until the past few weeks. So this storm is a Godsend.

In January, the average daytime high is 45 and the average low is 21. Yet we never got to 21 and the average low was more likely in the low 30's.

But that's done a 180 in the past three weeks, even though it should be starting to warm up. We've got a personal weather station here at the house and more often than not, the overnight lows have been 14-17 (and once, 9) and the highs have rarely reached the low 40's.

01-Mar-18

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

01-Mar-18
Miserable here in Ohio too. Temperature 39, raining with a 30 mph wind blowing and supposed to change to snow later tonight.

01-Mar-18
We have a big crap shoot coming on Monday. I know Kyle knows what March storms are like out here on the plains. It could rain an inch or snow 12". We won't know until it happens.

01-Mar-18
Drove down to west central Iowa today to look at a project. Sunny and mid 40’s. Only snow on the ground is what’s left of where it drifted.

It always seems to storm around high school basketball tournament time.

Last weekend I was in NW SD calling coyotes. Over a foot of snow on the ground and lows around 0. It snowed another 3” Saturday morning out there. Unfortunately no coyotes were harmed on that trip.

01-Mar-18
Justin,

As I recall from all my years in South Dakota, the worst storms usually came in late March/early April and they swept in from Colorado.

01-Mar-18
The worst blizzard conditions I have ever seen in my life have been in the sierra Nevada's,. Having grown up skiing in and around Vail Colorado I thought I had seen snow but after being in a couple of Mammoth Mountain and Heavenly Valley blizzards I started to understand why the donner party had to resort to cannibalism.

01-Mar-18

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Took our new GSP to go shed hunting a couple days ago wearing a t-shirt in nearly 65* weather. Today we have 5” of snow on the ground and another 5” coming. But it’ll all be gone in a couple days. For Michigan, this has been a pretty easy winter. Ground frost has been gone for over a week already.

BTW, for 14 weeks old, he did pretty darn good. Found this one by sight, went on a semi point then pounced. Yeah, he’s a keeper.

01-Mar-18
A week ago, we had 3.6" of rain in a day and our 12"+ snow pack melted creating much local flooding. Michigan State had a number of campus roads closed and classes relocated. Down the street from me, both sides flooded and water over our road.

A couple days later, we were teased with >50 degree weather for a few days, started getting the yard in order.

This morning, started to snow and is continuing...not quite 2" on the ground. And a 30 degree temperature difference. Have to go out and turn on tank heaters for the horses.

Of course, in Michigan, this is pretty normal. When we do get a nice sunny day, most people actually notice and appreciate.

01-Mar-18
VA has been as bitterly cold as a spinster librarian.

01-Mar-18
It's dropped to 33 now and is still snowing like crazy.

I'm going to get a workout in the morning!

01-Mar-18
Kyle, getting nothing to speak of over on my side of the state. Its been my experience that what you guys get over there doesn't necessarily affect us here. seems the Sierras kind of break those big storms up before they get here and then they kind of gather up again in Utah. When we get clobbered is when the storms come up from the southern part of Cali and the SW portion of Nv.

01-Mar-18
Jim,

Yup,

It's the rain shadow thing.

When storms come in from the west and hit the Sierras, most of the moisture drops on the western slopes and at the top on the mountains as the weather systems run into the mountains and push the weather higher. What doesn't drop by then, hits the eastern bench where we live, but even before it hits the valley 900' below us, it's largely 'bled out.'

03-Mar-18
Woke up this AM with the cars buried. Guess I know what I will be doing for the next couple of hours. Long driveways and walkways to deal with.

Snow blower: Check

Plow on quad: Check

Teenager soon to get up and help with shovels: Check

Irish whiskey when done: Check

03-Mar-18
We had hurricane force winds and rain. Trees down everywhere. We were out of electricity but only for an hour and twenty-five minutes. I drove to a Sportsman show in Delaware this morning and noticed the electric companies and Asplundh Tree experts in both states. Trash containers in fields, ditches and yards. The sportsman show was great.

03-Mar-18
Winds were bad in VA too, Shut. Passed temporary traffic signs that blew over the guard rail trailer and all.

03-Mar-18
Came in like a lamb here in Minnesota!....which is rare. 40's and sunny the last few days! But I'm sure we will get hammered before the month is over. In fact ,the forecast isn't looking too good.

03-Mar-18
Man, I'm tired!

We got another 6"-8" overnight.

Starting at first light, I ran the snow blower for an hour, then took my dog out on the trails for an hour (breaking trail most of the way), then spent another 2 1/2 hours with the snow blower and a snow shovel after that.

This afternoon I need to get the roof rake out for a while, then shovel up what comes off the roof.

04-Mar-18
We got another snow last night, only it was fairly benign.

Never-the-less, I spent another :45 shoveling and then :15-:20 raking snow off the roof.

Enough, already!

04-Mar-18
What happen to global warming..lol

04-Mar-18
TGBow,

If temperatures rise, it's because of Global Warming!

If temperatures fall, it's because of Global Warming!

If the number of hurricanes increase, it's because of Global Warming!

If the number of hurricanes decrease, it's because of Global Warming!

If we get droughts, it's because of Global Warming!

If we get even above average precipitation, it's because of Global Warming!

If you don't believe that, just ask the algore. I'm sure he'll set you straight.

06-Mar-18
I got up early this morning and went to the river. I caught white perch and herring. It was 25 degrees. You have to dip your rod tip in the water every few casts to get the ice out of the eyelets. Just a few days ago it hit 80 degrees. A few days ago we had hurricane force wind and trees are down everywhere.

06-Mar-18
"If you don't believe that, just ask the algore. I'm sure he'll set you straight."

I would, but I'm sure he took his personal jet to warmer climes.

06-Mar-18
Kevin,

I've had it for a little over a year now.

It works fine most of the time, BUT:

If there's wet, slushy snow, it tends to clog up and the slush just kinda' drools out 5-10' feet or so, compared to dryer snow, when it throws it clear into the next state.

Any solutions are welcome!

06-Mar-18
Thanks, Kevin.

I'll give that a try.

Have you ever tired any of the sprays that are supposed to eliminate or at least reduce that problem?

06-Mar-18
Well that didn't, last long....50 mph winds and near a foot of snow yesterday and last night! Nice heavy wet stuff.

06-Mar-18
At least two sections of I-70 were closed in KS today. One section by fire and one by blowing dust.

07-Mar-18
Was above 80 for almost the whole month of February here, now it's not gonna get out of the 70s for two weeks. Go figure

07-Mar-18
47F yesterday...since 5AM, over 5" of wet heavy snow and radar looks like at least three more hours (it's 8AM now) of snowfall. Gonna wait till it stops before firing up the tractor.

Michigan!

07-Mar-18
We're having a heat wave! It's 30 right now, which is 14-15 degrees warmer than it's been at this time of the day in two-three weeks.

07-Mar-18
Last night it snowed three inches or more. The snow flakes were the size of golf balls. This morning it is raining and I decided not to go fishing until this afternoon.

07-Mar-18
Dry as a popcorn fart in Colorado. Snowpack levels are the worst in 30 years.

Kyle, please send some of that moisture this way.

Matt

07-Mar-18
Decided against going fishing this afternoon. It is snowing so hard you can't see 100 yards. Sticking to the roads now, big time. Can't get TV and I cleaned off the dish. The signal can't get through the heavy snow in the air.

07-Mar-18
Matt,

In the northern tier of the western states, they're getting good moisture. In the mid & southern tiers, if you're looking for big antlers, it looks like it's a good year for 'points only.'

07-Mar-18
Kyle,

Our lack of moisture has much larger ramifications than just antler growth. I'm still hopeful for a few large dumps before the snowfall is over.

Matt

08-Mar-18
45 degrees here at daybreak with strong winds, gusting to 38 mph.

That made for an interesting 5 mile hike.

16-Mar-18
Twelve inches of snow here last night, followed by another ~4" so far today and it's still snowing hard.

With some drifting, my snow blower has been having trouble handling it all.

I did my driveways, my walk, my patio and then my neighbors driveway. It took me SIX hours and I am sore and tired!

Then there's this: It supposed to go down to 12 degrees tonight, which would be the second coldest night of the year.

16-Mar-18
Poor, Kyle...

You definitely need one of these...

Your concerned friend

jack

16-Mar-18
The last three mornings it has been 28 degrees. I have gone fishing every morning equipped with hand warmers. Catching herring by the bunches but white perch are behind schedule until the water temp goes up a few degrees. Forecast is for snow Tuesday and Wednesday. Perch Paloosa is in April and they should be here by then. I enter the contest every year and have made second place.

16-Mar-18
LOL, Jack!

OTOH, anyone could do that with dry snow and no wind!

Try doing that with wet snow and a wind blowing the snow back at'cha!

16-Mar-18
As Mike Baxter always said, "More Power!"

17-Mar-18
29 degree morning are commonplace, now. 26 on the truck thermo. this AM.

17-Mar-18
We only got a dusting last night, but I'll be spending the better part of an hour with the roof rake this morning.

The bad part of that is that the back patio extends well beyond the roof line, so when I rake the roof there, it all falls on the patio. I then have to shovel it, but it compacts when it lands, compresses, and is really heavy.

17-Mar-18
It was 24 degrees here this morning and I was catching herring, yellow perch and a few white perch. Still need the water temperature to come up for the big run of white perch. I like them better than any other fish for eating. Had some just caught salmon for supper. No I didn't catch them.

18-Mar-18
It's 13 here this morning @ 6:30. That's the second coldest we've had all winter.

On March 18!

But at least it's not snowing!

18-Mar-18
-10 in northern NY this morning. Tuesday is the 1st day of spring, yeah right.

18-Mar-18
-3 this morning. 4 -5 feet of snow in the woods. It is not going to get above freezing all week up here in Northern NH. Typical March.

20-Mar-18
This past Sunday I actually contemplated mowing my grass for the first time of the year - just to neaten it up since I didn't get a chance to cut it one last time last fall and it was kinda scruffy looking. It was close to 60 degrees and sunny.

HA!!!! Fast forward 2 days...I just filled the snow blower with gas in preparation of the 6"-10" of snow they're calling for tonight and tomorrow.

I think March 2018 is going to be in like a lion, out like a lion. :^)

20-Mar-18
The low this morning was 32, which represents a relative heat wave.

OTOH, starting tomorrow evening and continuing through Friday AM, we're supposed to get ~ 1.3" of rain, which would be welcomed.

21-Mar-18
First day of spring. 4 N'oreasters in 3 weeks. 6 inches down and still piling up.

21-Mar-18
.37" of rain so far today with another 1"+ forecast.

21-Mar-18
I'm hoping we miss most of this one, about 4" of rain in storm 1, then a few storms with 18-24" of sticky snow on successive weeks. In January, the snow would be great. In February cool. In March, well, at least it helps with the water table so the wild trout streams should be in good shape this year - gotta find a positive :)

Tonight we are in for 1-8" of snow depending on the weather forecast I see.

21-Mar-18

21-Mar-18
Mouse,

ROTFLMAO!!!

Seek help, my friend! lol

21-Mar-18

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
It started snowing early this morning. Wet heavy snow and by 10 AM we had no electricity. Every time they would get ready to turn it back on, more trees would fall on the power lines. The tree experts had eight or nine trucks on my road and they said they have never seen anything like this. However, after a little over nine hours they put a new fusible link in my transformer and I am now toasty and having some hot coffee. The road I live on had trees across the road from both sides, big trees.

22-Mar-18
We had rain starting around sundown last night and it's totaled over 1.67" so far with lots more to come. It's not supposed to stop until around sundown this evening.

It's been a weird year so far as it was insanely dry in December and January, fairly normal in February and now ridiculously wet in March.

22-Mar-18
Hottest February on record here and probably going to be the coldest March on record. Crazy

22-Mar-18

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Right after I posted last night the electric was only on for three hours and then went off again and didn't come on until mid morning. Trees were still falling last night.

22-Mar-18
We've now received over 2.5" of rain in the past 20 hours, with more to come.

When I got up this morning, the forecast was we'd get perhaps .30 - .40 more inches.

BZZZZT! Wrong!

Since then we've received almost TWO inches and it's going keep raining for a few more hours.

So while the weather forecasters can't even come close to telling us what will happen in the next few hours, we are supposed to believe their claims that 'The World Is Going To End Because Of Global Warming!'

Yeah, right!

23-Mar-18
Spike Bull - are you in New England, feels like your weather is very similar to mine (MA). Loving next weeks forecast... and, very happy that the last storm totally fizzled!

• Sitka Gear