Grey Ghost 10-Mar-18
Tonybear61 10-Mar-18
slade 10-Mar-18
gflight 10-Mar-18
slade 11-Mar-18
gflight 11-Mar-18
gflight 11-Mar-18
09-Mar-18
Due process being the next right to go what do you guys think?

Seattle police confiscate gun without due process.....

In a KATU news report, police claimed the volume of complaints about an individual led them to apply for an ERPO, including reports from neighbors claiming the man was “staring” at them through a window while open-carrying a holstered pistol.

“He was roaming the hallways with a .25 caliber automatic,” Tony Montana, who reportedly knows the man from the apartment complex where he resides, told KATU. “And it created a lot of fear obviously because I didn’t know if he was coming after me or gonna just start shooting the place up.”

10-Mar-18
This law will probably take care of the open carry debate.

Someone was scared that you legally open carried, so first you lose your guns and maybe get them back after the legal process is done.

10-Mar-18
The only time I open carry is when I am in the woods. It's the law there but never open carry in public. I don't want anyone to know I am armed.

10-Mar-18
How do you know there is a huge difference? For what reason did the cops confiscate the gun? Was there legitimate concern for a law being broken? Might be a case of "guilty until proven innocent", but we would need a lot more details.

10-Mar-18
I don't know that there is a huge difference between this and due process. If anything, these red flag laws will be abused more than restraining order laws. Due process primarily means, "we followed the rules" but some rules are more onerous than others. One can get a restraining order, permanently banning firearms ownership from someone, on purely a "he-said, she-said" event, with no physical proof of anything in many courtrooms.

10-Mar-18
And consider, a judge who errs on the side of freedom, but later, the party commits a crime, will likely result in a judge not wishing to be on the front page of the newspaper again. Or consider the leftists who believe anyone with a gun or guns is by definition a danger to others.

10-Mar-18
Here in MA we can open carry however I read that the police can simply consider you disturbing the peace if they get calls on you then your permit can be yanked so not worth it to open carry.

10-Mar-18
Being it is a 25 caliber, I can understand the fear of the Seattle snowflakes....

10-Mar-18
I don't understand the anti-open carry sentiments on this thread. I'm not a closet carrier. If I choose to carry, I display my weapon and 2A rights openly and proudly where it's legal to do so.

Matt

10-Mar-18
Years ago a classmate was going thorough a custody battle. His estranged ex called police to state he was making pipe bombs, a risk to the child, etc.

They showed up en mass, SWAT in the cornfields around his place. After finding out no evidence of any kind ,she was a full of it, vindictive and openly lying, do you think his rights were violated??? How safe was the child and neighbors when they swarmed in to investigate a false report??

10-Mar-18
Well what do you know, another Glying spin.............

On 2 March 2018, officers seized a 31-year-old man’s handgun while serving him with an extreme risk protection order (often shortened to ERPO) requiring him to do so. Police said in a statement that the unidentified man had been the subject of “multiple calls” concerning his behavior.

Before seizing his handgun, they said, the suspect had surreredered a shotgun to them in May 2017, after being served with an anti-harassment order. Police said he “acknowledged he was experiencing ‘stress’ and did not want it around.” A spokesperson said:

Due to his numerous contacts with police and escalating behavior, SPD’s Crisis Response Squad filed for an Extreme Risk Protection Order, requiring the man to turn over all firearms. After the man failed to turn over his firearms or appear in court for a hearing on the order, police obtained a warrant and responded to the man’s apartment in the 2200 block of 2nd Avenue just after 1 p.m. on March 1st and took him into custody.

A police spokesperson confirmed to us via email that the unidentified man had been reported for harassing people at a restaurant near his home, saying:

The suspect in this case had been standing outside of the location while wearing a holstered pistol and threatening individuals exiting the premises, which in turn caused some people to be fearful that he might hurt them. This is a violation of law in Washinginton State. The man was taken into custody for his violation which ended in a warrant being issued by the judge for his arrest.

According to the department spokesperson, the suspect — who lives directly above the restaurant — stood on a sidewalk in front of the business “yelling obscenities and accusing them of ‘talking to him through the floor.'” He later called officers back to the scene, saying that he could hear “taunting and voices” emanating from the restaurant. While meeting with police, they said, he said that he wanted a restaurant employee “arrested or shot.” He was detained and later taken to receive medical services.

Sergeant Eric Pisconski, who heads the unit responsible for carrying out protection order-related seizures, said of the case:

We attempted multiple times to get the individual to fulfill that order of turning over their firearms. And he refused multiple times. We were forced, at that point, to take the next step in the ERPO law which is petitioning for a search warrant to go in and enter their home and remove the firearms from them.

10-Mar-18
So who else were the firearms removed from?

11-Mar-18
Another pointless Glie accusation...

11-Mar-18
Just asking a question from the last sentence of your article.

11-Mar-18
Even if the left wing anti media site skewed the story a bit it is still a valid discussion.

• Sitka Gear