HDE 14-Mar-18
Atheist 14-Mar-18
Will 14-Mar-18
Mint 14-Mar-18
Bentstick81 14-Mar-18
Atheist 14-Mar-18
Bentstick81 14-Mar-18
13-Mar-18
To be replaced by CIA Director Mike Pompeo.

13-Mar-18
Shame. I thought Tillerson was doing a great job, certainly exponentially better than Obama's "chosen one".

13-Mar-18
Tillerson was spot on in his assessment of Trump.

13-Mar-18
Hard to get happy after that one.

The Rock

13-Mar-18
But everything’s fine in the WH. No chaos at all.

13-Mar-18
Great move, everyone in the administration needs to be more in sync. Tillerson liked the Iran deal and didn't like the trade deals so it was time for him to go. Haspel will head the CIA and the democrats will poop in their pants. They will say she oversaw torture and is a 32 year veteran of the CIA. You would think the democrats would like a woman heading the CIA. Not.

13-Mar-18

And now.....without further ado....Briarcliff Manor High School's own Baron of Bullshit, the one, the ONLY..........PAULABE ZEIDEN From Boone will entertain us with his lies and falsehoods!

"But everything’s fine in the WH. No chaos at all."

And there's no fraud and lies coming from your words......riiiiight..........

13-Mar-18
I think a more accurate analogy would be that Trump is now on his fourth general contractor, fifth architect, third electrician, second plumber, etc. These aren't replacements due to the fact that their job was done; these are replacements due to the fact that they are no longer in favor with their boss. That's a big difference.

13-Mar-18
Trump fired Tillerson because he would not toe the line.

13-Mar-18
Trump came in with a plan, an agenda, a focus. Unlike the previous president that never stopped drawing lines in the sand, Trump knows what he wants to accomplish. Like him or not you have to respect a guy that sticks to his guns...and if you ain't on-board with that you're simply in the way, so get out. I respect this administration for this philosophy. On top of that show me one administration that hasn't rotated it's top brass. It happens in every administration so I don't see it as being any cause for great alarm. The president is the boss, if you don't please the boss find a new job..

13-Mar-18
Trump's long time assistance (for the last 3 years), John McEntee, was fired today after the Trump administration learned that he is currently under a major federal investigation for financial crimes.

Why the hell is this not even a tad bit surprising?

How many more of trumps people have to be exposed as crooks!?

13-Mar-18
I never said he was the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th fired. I used the analogy to highlight there has been a lot of turnover across all of the Executive branch since Trump was elected. In case you missed it, this administration is now on its 2nd Secretary of State, 3rd Deputy Attorney General, 6th Communication Director (when one gets named), 2nd Press Secretary, 2nd Chief of Staff, 3rd FBI Director...I can go on. I said it is more a reflection of them falling out of favor with their boss than having completed their part of the mission, like Buckiller is theorizing. Try to keep up.

13-Mar-18
Last I checked, the comment I responded to had nothing to do with how great a job Trump is doing and everything to do with the nature of turnover in the White House. I don't buy Buckiller's explanation, and was responding to that. If you want to deflect, fine. I do think it's telling that Trump went through more communication directors in his first year than any other President has in their entire Presidency (except for Reagan who went through seven in his eight years in office).

13-Mar-18
One by one the Conservatives are fired or quietly leave. Leaving only the "TV Reality Show Republicans" to run the circus. Tillerson is a good man.

13-Mar-18
atheist. Getting fired. Perfect example of what should be done when a person tries to LIE and hide things from other people. Just like you should be fired, for lying to the students. You are creating CHAOS, in Briarcliff, but haven't got caught yet. How many more times do we have to "EXPOSE" YOU AS THE LYING FRAUD THAT YOU ARE??? You think all of Trumps administration is crooked, and yet you describe yourself, when you identify them. but you are OK with that, right??? Lying little wuss that you are. 8^)

13-Mar-18
Great CEO's make changes when necessary..... and without delay. Only poor managers and leaders tolerate a substandard team, or employees.

13-Mar-18
I provided plenty of details, PD. Go back and read the thread. What’s telling?? Turnover and uncertainty aren’t typically the hallmarks of well run companies. Playing an executive on TV doesn’t make you an effective leader, and, IMO, that’s playing out in what you’re seeing in the staff turnover. For someone who consistently claims he built the best team...well, it sure doesn’t seem like he thinks so now.

13-Mar-18
I've always felt partially to blame for not hiring the right person when I've had to fire them. And I always felt loyalty was a 2-way street. Apparently Trump feels differently.

Matt

13-Mar-18
trump is an obvious psychopath, lunatic, you name it.......he is his own worst enemy for sure............but he governs like a real conservative Republican and follows through on campaign rhetoric like no other. I love the guy.

13-Mar-18
Anyone who has actually worked for a great leaders knows how incompetent Trump is.

I mean the man gets to choose ANYONE he wants and after a year how many people have quit? Great leaders just don't have this happen.

I had a old coworker get called to lead Hillary's campaign. This woman was the best at we she does - great leader. After 2 months she quit. She saw the writing on the wall and knew Hillary was a mess.

As the old saying goes, "This to shall pass..." Eventually he won't be POTUS and all this unnecessary chaos and lack of leadership will be behind us. This country has survived centuries of good and bad leaders.

That's the beauty of our country.

13-Mar-18
Draining the swamp. Tillerson was listed as one of the "leakers".

13-Mar-18
I do the same thing with my employees. If they are not doing the job I expect, they are sent packing. Glad there is finally a businessman in the WH.

13-Mar-18
Exactly Squash. As a businessman you well know that relatively few people really understand what it's like to run a business and what it means and it can be summed up in basically one word........RESULT$. A business has to answer to either it's investors and/or the bank, and both of them only want to see result$. All else is secondary at best, because if there are no real result$ then there's no business. Simple as that.

Politicians for the most part have NO concept at all of what it is, most of them not even having the experience of running a lemonade stand. Obama was a CLASSIC example of this. Talk, talk, talk, talk.......and nothing gets done.

13-Mar-18
Y'all must work for very different companies than I work for.

13-Mar-18
"As a businessman you well known that relatively few people really understand what it's like to run a business and what it means and it can be summed up in basically one word........RESULT$"

So...you're saying the turnover is because Trump's team hasn't been delivering results? That's why we've had change in key economic, foreign policy, intelligence, and advisory positions? His administration isn't delivering results?

It has nothing to do with results...it has to do with loyalty to the President's position du jour.

13-Mar-18
Funny, as a business owner, I've always found that a high turn-over rate always causes lack of productivity. It also fosters a poor work environment.

And, as I said earlier, every time I've had to fire someone that I hired, I felt I had done a poor job of selecting that person. I think most successful leaders/business owners recognize and hire good employees from the start, not cycle thru them, like a McDonalds, until they land a good one.

Matt

13-Mar-18
Yes BEG, that YOU work FOR. It's not your company and it's not your keister that's on the line either. That's not saying that you don't work hard or contribute, I'm sure you do. But none the less it's not your company.

And I never said that the turnover is because of lack of results. He's getting results and he wants MORE and BETTER results and he's also looking into the future. I don't pretend to know how Trump thinks or what his strategy is. I'm beginning to get an idea though. One thing's for sure, the DC crowd has NO concept whatsoever and Trump's just getting started. I guess my take is that this is like a war and these are "battlefield promotions/demotions". He's doing what has to be done in a constantly shifting situation where the only things that matter are results.

13-Mar-18
That's my experience, Matt. I can only imagine what the market would do to our stock if we turned over half of our senior management every year.

Maybe it's just an aberration and a "first year thing" so to speak. But if he keeps up a similar turnover rate, I can't imagine how anyone can view that as being a sign of a well run ship.

13-Mar-18
"Yes BEG, that YOU work FOR. It's not your company and it's not your keister that's on the line either"

I am a stock holder, so it is partly my company -- just like it is every stockholders. And my keister is always on the line...as is anyone who works in my company. Seeing 40% of your colleagues laid off over the last few years is a stark reminder of that. I am given responsibilities within my company and have authority over certain decisions -- just like Trump has. Sure, it's not "my company" any more than America is "Trump's country" or the government is "Trump's government." We all, ultimately have to answer to somebody, including the President of the United States.

Our leadership welcomes individuals with alternative perspectives and ensures their voice is heard and considered, even if their suggestions and opinions aren't acted upon. I've learned that people can tolerate decisions that go against them as long as they are included in the decision making process. Being marginalized because you share a difference of opinion is a different matter. It's my belief that Trump largely looks for "yes men" -- people that confirm his world view with little to no pushback. Seems many of those that pushback at all are shown the door.

13-Mar-18
I think it's as simple as Trump hiring type A people. The trade off to the high performance is that strong independent thinkers end up getting to an impass and go their separate ways.

13-Mar-18
"ALL administrations have mucho turnover, the president isn't afraid to double down as the need arises.

Well, I guess if you think a high turnover is the mark of a successful administration, then Trump is definitely leading the pack.

From this linked article:

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/07/591372397/white-house-staff-turnover-was-already-record-setting-then-more-advisers-left

President Trump insists his isn't a White House in chaos, but it's hard to deny the near constant churn of key aides, including Tuesday's announced departure of economic adviser Gary Cohn. A full 43 percent of top-level positions in the Trump White House have seen turnover. That is not normal.

In fact, the Trump White House has had more turnover among senior aides in the first 13 1/2 months of Trump's term than his four most recent predecessors had after two years."

Matt

13-Mar-18
I'm disappointed. Tillerson was a great asset with an even keel sorely needed in the Trump admin...........a class act that gets it.

We will never know all of the details....but this a big mistake.

I'm worried Trump will pull an Obama and surround himself with "Yes" men....look what road that took Obama down- disastrous policy decisions one right after the other.

13-Mar-18
That may very well be BEG, but if it get's results that benefit me as an American then it's fine by me. I know one other person in my area who runs his businesses like Trump appears to run his, and he's done VERY well with them considering that he started out with nothing. Some people got really bent out of shape when he fired them, but it wasn't personal at all...just business. I've done business with this fellow and some of our dealings worked out and some didn't. We are still friends. His goal and mine are the exact same.....make money with hopefully a deal that will be profitable for all involved. But if that ends then so does the deal. No hard feelings, no drama. It's business...period. Like buying a car. They want to sell it to me for as much as they can, and I want to pay as little as I can. Somewhere between those two ends is the middle ground.

13-Mar-18
"In fact, the Trump White House has had more turnover among senior aides in the first 13 1/2 months of Trump's term than his four most recent predecessors had after two years."

Yes, and all his predecessors were career politicians who have about as much of an idea on how to run a business as I do performing a brain surgery. Obama was a textbook example of this. Trump is running this as he runs his businesses, and so far he's outdoing those 4 predecessors. If that means some casualties along the way, then that's the price of war, and make no mistake about it.....it's WAR. So basically to your quote.....who cares?

13-Mar-18
WW, that post was hilarious. The Baron of bullshit, I'd laugh even if it was directed towards me. I am going to remember that one when I address the fed landgrabbers at our next hearing.

13-Mar-18
Tillerson speech on Zero Hedge now.....after watching that....I challenge anyone to tell me he was a poor choice

13-Mar-18
No one's saying he was a poor choice. For the situation that existed then he was no doubt a fine choice. But the situation...and the dynamics between he and Trump are very much part of that....is fluid and that can dictate change. And don't forget that Tillerson for all his many pluses is also like Trump in that he's used to being the man in charge, and when you work for Trump you're not....he is. When you're the #1 guy in the business world the buck literally stops with you, and you DO NOT shift the responsibility of your actions to someone else......that "dog don't hunt".

Agree with him or not, Trump calls is own shots and he does not operate like a politician does so you can take all the past "history" of how elected career politicians did business and toss it because it doesn't apply for the most part with Trump. Time will tell if it's a successful strategy. So far the results are positive, regardless of the "hamburger" that's being ground.

And your comparison of him to Obama is COMPLETELY off base. Obama couldn't run a stocking, no less a country, and had ZERO experience running anything at all except his mouth. Putting Obama in the White House was like throwing a carp in the air and expecting it to fly.

13-Mar-18
WW, Don't forget where Tillerson came from- NOTHING....... To become the president of one of the largest corporations in the world....no small feat. You have to have some serious smarts and skills to do that.

One of the signs of a great leader is to hire folks smarter than yourself....and then either let them do their thing or at least listen their advice. Trump is letting his ego get in the way.

Trump admittedly replaced Tillerson with a sycophant.

Think of the decades of international experience and insights that Tillerson has, Exxon was like a small country for gads sake. To do what he has done indicates he is an amazing person....one we are lucky to have. Then....to treat him like a contestant on a reality show......... a big mistake.

Don't get me wrong....I like where the Trump admin has been taking out country....but Trump can't do this solo.

13-Mar-18
Beendare, you’re spot on in almost everything. I’d make a correction though...Exxonmobil is not like a small country. It’s like a fairly large country.

13-Mar-18
I get what you're saying, but like on a battlefield there's only ONE person who's the lead commander. There's no room for two. I have no doubt that Tillerson would be good President in his own right and he's certainly be someone I'd give a serious look at if he chose to do that down the road as a leader, but apparently being a subordinate is NOT his forte', or at least not in this situation . But ultimately the "fit" with he and Trump was not working, for whatever reasons, and Trump did what he felt he had to do. Time will tell if he did right.

13-Mar-18
I read that Tillerson has a good relationship with Putin, too.

Just fanning the flames a little.

;-)

Matt

13-Mar-18
when Pres. Trump appointed Tillerson, all the Lib/Dems complained that he had too close of realationship with Putin , and was a bad choice.

Now it’s a big mistake firing him, kind of reminds me of Comey. LMAO

13-Mar-18
For you GG.......

13-Mar-18
WW,

Any Beavis and Butthead, or Dumb and Dumber videos are perfect for this forum at times.

I admire Tillerson, and I liked his selection for SoS. He probably has more positive international experience than 99% of the politicos in Washington. I'm also not surprised he ultimately sided differently than Trump on certain issues, and therefore got fired.

Matt

13-Mar-18
Poor snowflakes, anything to make them feel better...

13-Mar-18
"Tillerson, was a mistake in the first place, this sure proves it .."

Whose mistake was that, ultimately?

Matt

13-Mar-18
JTV x 2,

Tillerson was more interested in the oil in the ground for his business contacts then what was best for Keeping America Great.

13-Mar-18
Once again, JTV avoids a direct question. What a surprise! LOL.

Matt

13-Mar-18
Disagreeing with the boss is OK, just depends on how you do it. In the end, all you're doing is stating your viewpoint based on what data set you have. If you act independently against what the mission is, then you go.

A healthy organization has some turnover, planned or not. Nobody likes a kiss-ass yes man (except for a weakling boss), and there is no room for a rogue either. The Trump Whitehouse is not a "good 'ol boy" system, the very plague of most corporations and companies...

13-Mar-18
You also have to consider that with a brief 4 year turn in office a President doesn't have the luxury of time to get a team to congeal. Things have to happen and they have to happen NOW. If Trump let's someone go it doesn't mean necessarily that he/she isn't any good at what they do or was a bad pick, it just means that for the current situation (and like I said it's VERY brief) it's not working and to make things work they need to be replaced. You can't sit back, you have to ACT......which is totally unlike any other part of Washington, which is quite the opposite. Just blah, blah, blah.......but do nothing. That's the polar opposite of Trump.

13-Mar-18
I don't know if this was good or bad. Pompeo, having CIA leadership experience, may be a great choice for Sec of State. Or not. This is how Trump works, you get the good with the not so good. Let's see what happens.

14-Mar-18
I don't know that much about Tillerson...I thought he was ok but I think the day PA. is voting was probably not the best idea. The tariffs to be imposed that could well help PA. and the rousing speech on Sat. night I thought would help but announcing another rift in the cabinet today...not such a great idea. Trump has done some great things and I believe he is a great businessman but he has to learn to temper leadership, business and the dreaded politics.

14-Mar-18
Trump gave Tillerson the opportunity and Tillerson failed at what he was appointed to do, anyone who thinks firing an executive is the fault of the leader is petty and clueless about corporate/government bureaucracy.......

Nine Issues that Divided Trump and Tillerson

President Donald Trump, flanked by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, told members of the UN Security Council at a White House luncheon on Monday that they should act to counter Iranian 'destabilization.'AFP MANDEL NGAN by JOHN HAYWARD13 Mar 2018575

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s seemingly sudden dismissal by President Donald Trump comes after a year of constant stories about his impending departure. He had a number of significant policy and messaging disputes with the president, and every one of them was followed by a chorus of unnamed administration sources telling reporters that Tillerson’s ouster was imminent.

Here are some of the most significant and highly publicized disagreements between President Trump and his first secretary of state:

Russia. Trump critics immediately assumed Tillerson was fired for speaking out of turn by blaming Russia for the poisoning of former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter. However, senior administration officials claim Tillerson was asked to step down on Friday, three days before he made his comments about Russia. A source close to Pompeo told CNN he has known he would transition from CIA director to secretary of state since December, and his successor Gina Haspel has been effectively running the CIA for months while he prepared himself for the move.

Ironically, Tillerson’s history of business dealings with Russia fueled early criticism that his appointment as Secretary of State was a sign that Trump would be very soft on Moscow. By the time of his departure, Tillerson was seen as tougher than Trump on Russia, and the president was criticized for failing to follow his lead. For his part, Vladimir Putin said he regretted awarding Tillerson the “Order of Friendship” in 2013.

Tillerson took a more outspokenly negative view of Russia’s actions in Ukraine and Syria than Trump, and pointedly disagreed with him about Russia’s efforts to interfere with the 2016 election. As recently as November, some analysts said Tillerson had grown so confident of his position, so certain that he would not be fired, that he was making his own foreign policy and using his public comments to prod Trump into seeing things his way.

Tillerson reportedly told an associate in July that he was “stunned” by President Trump’s apparent willingness to accept Putin’s denial of Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

The “moron” incident. It would also be remiss not to mention the July 2017 Pentagon meeting at which Tillerson allegedly referred to President Trump as a “moron.”

Reports at the time claimed Tillerson spent the entire summer on the verge of quitting and was prevented from leaving only by appeals from Vice President Mike Pence.

Speculation about the exact reason for Tillerson’s outburst ran wild throughout Washington. Early rumors held that Tillerson, a former president of the Boy Scouts, was angered by Trump’s “politicized speech” to the organization. Some said Tillerson disliked Trump’s policy on Afghanistan. Later a theory developed that Tillerson thought Trump was a “moron” because he wanted to increase America’s inventory of nuclear weapons.

The State Department denied Tillerson used “that type of language” to refer to President Trump. Tillerson said at the time, and repeated as recently as a February interview with CBS News’ 60 Minutes, that he would not dignify questions about the “moron” incident with a response. Administration critics took this as a tacit admission that he did insult the president. Tillerson responded that focusing on rumors about what language he used in the Pentagon meeting was one of the “destructive games” of Washington.

North Korea. The stated reason for Tillerson’s replacement as Secretary of State is North Korea policy. Trump famously told Tillerson in October that he was “wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man.” This was taken at the time as the clearest signal to date that Trump was not happy with his Secretary of State, and that Tillerson was conducting his own rogue foreign policy, although Trump and Tillerson downplayed it as a bit of good-natured ribbing.

Tillerson was therefore either surprised or gratified, depending on which source talks to a particular reporter, when Trump announced he was willing to meet with North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un. Just hours before the announcement was made, Tillerson told reporters, “We’re a long way from negotiations. We just need to be very clear-eyed and realistic about it.”

Some media soothsayers took it as a grim omen for Tillerson’s career that he was so clearly out of the loop when the most potentially important U.S. diplomatic mission in a generation was launched. Trump confirmed on Tuesday that he made his decision to meet with Kim Jong-un without consulting Tillerson.

Afghanistan. Tillerson was seen as undercutting Trump’s strategy in Afghanistan in August. Shortly after Trump declared “our troops will fight to win” and “from now on, victory will have a clear definition,” Tillerson told the Taliban: “You will not win a battlefield victory. We may not win one, but neither will you.”

“We believe that we can turn the tide of what has been a losing battle over the last year and a half or so and at least stabilize the situation and, hopefully, start seeing some battlefield victories on the part of the Afghan forces,” Tillerson said, in what was taken as a significant break from Trump’s promise of fighting to win and settling for nothing less than the defeat of the Taliban.

Supporters of the Trump administration’s diplomatic strategy pointed to the Afghanistan dispute as an example of the “good cop, bad cop” routine. Detractors sensed a power struggle between Trump loyalists and a dissident faction headed by Tillerson and Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, who happens to have been in Afghanistan when Trump announced Tillerson’s departure on Tuesday.

Qatar. One of the most carefully scrutinized differences of opinion between President Trump and Secretary of State Tillerson involved Qatar. Trump was outspokenly supportive of the decision by Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, and Bahrain to take action against Qatar for supporting terrorism. Tillerson’s criticism of Qatar was moderated by encouraging all parties to refrain from escalating the situation, and praise for Qatari progress in “halting financial support and expelling terrorist elements.”

“Everybody was taken by surprise by the president’s comments. It undermined what the secretary had to say. The policy that is being worked is the Tillerson policy, Trump’s comments notwithstanding,” a State Department official told the Washington Post in June.

In July, Trump praised Tillerson for “doing a terrific job” and said they disagreed “only in terms of tone” on Qatar. However, Tillerson continued to be much more critical of the “quartet” blockading Qatar than President Trump.

“There seems to be a real unwillingness on the part of some of the parties to want to engage. It’s up to the leadership of the quartet when they want to engage with Qatar because Qatar has been very clear—they’re ready to engage,” Tillerson said in October as he was preparing for another trip to the region.

In January, after the administration resolved a dispute with Qatar over airline subsidies, Tillerson praised Qatar as a “strong partner and a longtime friend of the United States.” He also talked up enhanced trade and energy cooperation between the U.S. and Qatar, and once again praised the Qataris for the improvements they have made in counterterrorism. Meanwhile, he encouraged Saudi Arabia to be “a bit more measured and a bit more thoughtful” in its actions with respect to Qatar and other Middle Eastern crises.

Some took President Trump’s greater willingness to criticize Saudi Arabia in the new year as a sign he was coming around to Tillerson’s point of view. Trump also thanked the Qataris for “action to counter terrorism and extremism in all forms” in January, a statement taken as a sign that relations between the White House and Qatar could be thawing out.

Iran nuclear deal. Tillerson frankly admitted in August that he disagrees with President Trump about the Iran nuclear deal. Trump has harshly criticized the deal and expressed a strong preference for scuttling or renegotiating it, while Tillerson argued, “There are a lot of alternative means with which we use the agreement to advance our policies and the relationship with Iran.”

After he fired Tillerson, Trump cited the Iran deal as one of the issues he was never able to resolve with the former secretary of state.

“When you look at the Iran deal: I think it’s terrible, I guess he thinks it was OK. I wanted to break it or do something and he felt a little bit differently. So we were not thinking the same,” he said, adding that new Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has a more “similar thought process” on the matter.

The Paris climate accord. Tillerson was equally frank in disagreeing with President Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord in June 2017. In fact, he told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee he was one of the most vocal opponents of Trump’s decision within the administration.

Tillerson gave Trump credit for hearing his views and considering input from European allies before withdrawing from the accord, but was notably absent from the White House ceremony to announce the decision and subsequent public events.

By September, Tillerson was telling reporters that Trump was willing to consider re-entering the Paris climate accords if the “right conditions” could be found. Other administration officials contradicted his remarks and said Trump is willing to work productively with other nations on environmental issues, but will not return to the Paris accords.

In January, Trump said the U.S. “could conceivably go back in” if the Paris agreement, which he described as a “bad deal,” could be altered so that it does not damage the American energy industry. Rumors continue to swirl that Trump is talking to foreign leaders and looking for a way to return to the Paris accords with a renegotiated American position, despite his continuing public criticism of the deal.

Trade and border security. Somewhat surprisingly given his background as a corporate CEO and advocate of free trade—arguably the strongest in the administration next to Gary Cohn, who departed less than a week ago—Tillerson has not publicly clashed with Trump much over trade policy.

One reason for this might be Trump and Tillerson’s shared concern for the danger posed by China’s growing influence. Tillerson has warned developing countries against doing business with China on several occasions, most recently in early February.

However, Tillerson made a trip to Latin America in February that was seen as out-of-step with Trump policies in several respects, including Tillerson’s praise for the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which Trump has called “the worst trade deal ever.”

Tillerson was also taken as softer on border security and immigration reform than the president. Tillerson also directly contradicted the president on drug trafficking, praising Mexico for its efforts to interdict drug smuggling within hours of Trump criticizing them for “pouring” drugs into the United States. An official traveling with Tillerson said Trump’s comments were “not helpful” to the secretary of state’s diplomacy.

Israel and the Palestinians. Another muted dispute between Trump and Tillerson concerns the Palestinians. Tillerson was notably cooler than Trump on the notion of moving the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, projecting a considerably longer timetable for the move than other administration officials.

The first State Department report on terrorism under Tillerson was also taken as a sign of distance between State and the White House, with the former much more sympathetic to Palestinian arguments than the latter. In June 2017, Tillerson found it necessary to walk back his confident prediction that the Palestinians would end the horrific practice of paying off the families of terrorists, issuing a revised statement more in line with President Trump’s views.

Tillerson also disagreed with Trump’s position on the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA). Trump and U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley conditioned UNRWA aid on the Palestinians returning to peace negotiations, while Tillerson argued the UNRWA is a U.N. agency whose funding should not be linked to Palestinian conduct. The administration ultimately decided not to cut funding for Palestinian refugees, a decision seen as Tillerson prevailing over Haley in persuading Trump.

14-Mar-18
Tillerson was for the paris climate accord, for lax border security, for the Iran deal and didn't back Trump with his charlottsville comments. Against Trump announcing Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel. We don't need that as Secretary of State. Pompeo is a real conservative that has guts.

14-Mar-18
"The “moron” incident. It would also be remiss not to mention the July 2017 Pentagon meeting at which Tillerson allegedly referred to President Trump as a “moron.”"

Inappropriate no matter what, whether they are the boss or not. Subordinate/insubordination - all nonsensical rhetoric...

14-Mar-18
Care to guess why Iran doesn’t have nukes at the moment? Yep. That darned Iran nuclear agreement. Seems like it’s working. Tillerson knew it, trump wants to cater to his rabid base and end it.

14-Mar-18
Big Easy Gator - Agreed. Really well said. Straight Arrow - hysterical :).

14-Mar-18
"Care to guess why Iran doesn’t have nukes at the moment? Yep. That darned Iran nuclear agreement. Seems like it’s working. " That's what Clinton said about NK until the Bush administration called them on it and wow they did have Nukes.

14-Mar-18
atheist. Thanks for another dumba$$ reply by you. You will never learn. 8^)))

14-Mar-18
The Republicans forgot why we cut a deal with Iran; it was that or war. Trump campaigned on an end to Middle East wars, but it looks like he'll push us into another one with Mike Pompeo as Secretary of State. Another campaign promise shot down. Who’s surprised?

14-Mar-18
Thanks for another DUMBA$$ reply atheist. Just like clock work. 8^)))

• Sitka Gear