Contributors to this thread:
HA/KS 13-Mar-18
Mike the Carpenter 13-Mar-18
BIG BEAR 14-Mar-18
Mint 14-Mar-18
13-Mar-18

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
This is written in first person but to be clear, it is not me!

"One month ago today I lost my dad. He died after a single-vehicle crash while taking a load of sand to a job site in Johnson County.

While it's never easy to lose a loved one, our family's loss is compounded by the fact that he likely would have walked away from the accident had he been wearing a seatbelt.

Instead, he was thrown from the cab of his truck as it toppled side over side.

Thinking about what happened and how it all could have been prevented is a constant punch in the gut. For years, we tried and tried and tried to get him to wear his seatbelt... and for some reason, he just never would.

While I cannot change the past, I hope sharing what happened to my family can prevent the same from taking place in another.

Friends, please wear your seatbelt. Don't do it some of the time, or most of the time...wear your seatbelt ALL OF THE TIME. It can be the difference between walking away from a crash with a few bumps and bruises, or not walking away from it at all.

The wreck happened on a turn he's made a thousand times before on a route he was very familiar with in a truck he's driven for years...and just like that, he was gone.

This was the last photo I snapped of my dad. It was from an absolutely beautiful night back in mid-October. We had just wrapped up dinner, the cows had been fed and we were soaking up the fresh air and each other's company on the back patio. It was a great night...

Again, buckle up."

13-Mar-18
When I was an officer (early 90’s) I responded to two fatality accidents. First one, the lady came out the sunroof as the car rolled and cut her literally in 1/2. Second one, the drivers door came open and the drivers head was between the door and door jamb as the car rolled over closing the door. In both cases, neither driver was wearing their seatbelt, and both had been drinking alcohol. Seatbelts are there for a reason, use them.

14-Mar-18
Wear a seatbelt. Do it for your family.... Not because the government mandates you to do so........

Do I enforce that law ? Yes. Do I agree with it ?? No. In our state; I must wear a seatbelt in my three quarter ton pickup truck...... While a guy riding next to me on his motorcycle does not have to wear a helmet. What sense does that make ??

I have always leaned towards favoring hands off government.....

That said..... I fully support mandating that children passengers be buckled up or in a car seat.

Flame away......

14-Mar-18
The moment I started driving I wore a seat belt same as a safety harness in the tree stand. Didn't take the Government to make the law for me to use my brain and realize it was the smart thing to do. I do know in 1991 I had a accident and had a concussion and while I was in the hospital the trooper told my brother that I was smart and was wearing my seat belt since it probably saved my life.

• Sitka Gear