Contributors to this thread:
Salagi 16-Mar-18
Annony Mouse 16-Mar-18
Salagi 17-Mar-18
Rocky 17-Mar-18
Bentstick81 17-Mar-18
Treeline 17-Mar-18
16-Mar-18
I was with a group of kids at the Environmental and Spatial Technology (EAST) conference this past week. EAST is a program that began in an Arkansas school back in 1996 as a way to help at risk students finish school. It has since grown to include thousands of students across Arkansas and a few other states grades 3-12 and this year will be honored as Arkansas’s top nonprofit of the year.

EAST is a project based learning program centered on working with the local communities and the projects are designed to benefit the school and/or the community in some way. Some of the projects are pretty simple, maybe simply raising awareness of local issues and others get very technologically advanced. One school made national news this year by designing and building a prosthetic leg for a duck, (the same school also is working on a better helmet to protect a special needs student in the school, but national news didn’t pick up on that sadly). Several projects this year worked with law enforcement to aid them in some way, others are designing computer programs to help children with cognitive issues learn more efficiently. The range of projects are huge every year and the students working on them are everything from at risk students, or honor students, to geeks and athletes.

All that long winded introduction is to say this, the conference this year was attended by a few thousand students, and I saw every shade of color and every ethnic background you can imagine. There were students representing the rich schools and from schools with over 90% poverty rate. I saw third and fourth grade students proudly discussing their projects with junior and senior students who were not only listening, but interested. As you walked by the projects, students would actively engage the adults (“Would you like to hear about our projects?”), shake their hand and begin talking if you would listen. I saw more respect given young to old (and vice versa) then the news would ever let you think still exists. The required dress code was business professional and every student, boy or girl, met that code and met it well.

What I didn’t see was a single student walk out for a 17 minute protest. They weren’t walking because they were too busy talking. Talking to adults, to each other, exchanging ideas on how to benefit their school, their community, and their world. There is where the real difference is being made.

16-Mar-18
This (^^^) is what education should be about. Kudos, Dave.

17-Mar-18
Jack - While I was there I wished you and Henry could have been there. I think you two especially would have enjoyed visiting with these kids. The elementary kids were the best, they were so proud to be there "with the big kids". They added a level of excitement and pride that even the older students that were with me commented about.

17-Mar-18
A truly good man spends his time, his most prized possession, helping children.

Your a good man.

The Rock

17-Mar-18
Excellent!

17-Mar-18
That sounds like an awesome event!

• Sitka Gear