Grey Ghost 29-Mar-18
South Farm 29-Mar-18
Mint 30-Mar-18
Grey Ghost 30-Mar-18
Mint 31-Mar-18
NvaGvUp 02-Apr-18
NvaGvUp 02-Apr-18
28-Mar-18
I just ran across an old hunting knife I'd forgotten I even had. It's a Shrade Old Timer and might be the best hunting knife I've ever had.

It's super sharp and durable and holds an edge for a very long time. I was easily able to touch up the blade. However it's got a lot of dark spots on the steel. They don't affect the function of the knife at all, but cosmetically, they take away from the appearance of the knife.

It's not really 'corrosion' and there is no rust at all. It's simply discoloration of some sort. I tried steel wool and Comet with no success.

Any suggestions?

28-Mar-18
Thanks, Rhody.

As I noted (after editing), there are no pock marks, just discoloration.

28-Mar-18
Kyle,

The dark spots are completely normal on a carbon steel blade, especially if the knife has been used for food prep, or stored in its sheath. It doesn't harm the blade in any way.

I've successfully removed spots from my Randall knife collection using Flitz and a clean chunk of an old rug as a polishing pad.

Alternatively, you can patina the whole blade using lemon, garlic, or mustard so that the spots will no longer be as noticeable. The patina will protect the blade from further corrosion.

In the future, if you store the knife for a long period of time, do so in a completely dry environment with the knife out of the sheath. The ultimate protection for valuable knives is stuff called Renaissance Micro Crystalline Wax Polish. It's used in museums to protect and preserve ancient metal artifacts. I use it on my knife collection and it keeps them looking brand new.

Hope this helps,

Matt

28-Mar-18
My schrade blade "discolored" do to blood from gutting critters. IMO there's some kind of chemical reaction going on. But darn that knife will hold an edge and does touch up easily.

28-Mar-18
Thanks, guys!

Yes, this knife has been in the sheath for over twenty years since I last used it. Most of those years were also spent in a box in the garage.

Kyle

28-Mar-18
What about baking soda? I keep reading it's the ultimate cleaning product.

28-Mar-18
I have a friend who inherited a dozens and dozens of real old carpenter hand tools. Chisels, hand saws, hand drills and bits, planers, etc. He found a youtube on using a vinegar based soak method and then buffing them out on a cloth wheel with compound. They came out gorgeous. He did note, don't leave tools in the soak for too long as it will destroy them. He "lost" a couple small pieces in the tub and by the time he found them they were toast.....

28-Mar-18
I've got a Gerber I use for gutting. It has the same spots on it, and I attempted to clean it to no avail, but it still performs like a champ.

28-Mar-18
I'd only consider a vinegar soak if the blade was badly scaled, not for normal carbon stains. Also, vinegar will patina the blade just like any other acidic liquid.

Matt

28-Mar-18
Kyle,

Try sprinkling baking powder on the blade, then wide it off with a rag soaked in lemon juice. Then rinse quickly. If the lemon juice stays on too long it will patina the blade.

Matt

28-Mar-18
I put the knife in a small Glad bag for :30 or so with the juice from 1/4 of a lemon.

When I first took it out, the blade was blackened even more. But a few minutes of rubbing the blade with an SOS pad got rid of that, as well as some of the stains that were already there.

28-Mar-18

Grey Ghost's Link
Here's a few different methods you can try, Kyle

Matt

28-Mar-18
Hey Matt, How about a picture of your randall knife collection. I love seeing those blades, I've got three myself but all SS.

28-Mar-18

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
Try this stuff. Works great on all sorts of things and it's cheap. (After you polish the blade wash the stuff off)

28-Mar-18

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Kyle,

Here's what about 30 seconds with Flitz and a Brillo pad did to an old Schrade knife of mine.

Matt

28-Mar-18

Ugh..can't seem to attach 2 photos to the same post. Here's the after pic.

Matt

28-Mar-18
Flitz......GOOD TIP!!!

28-Mar-18
Matt,

There's no rust at all. But just now I put some tarnish remover on it and it looks better yet.

It's not all new-and-shiny looking, but at least it looks respectable now.

28-Mar-18
Kyle,

Every serious knife collector knows about Flitz. A little tube goes a long way, too. That old Schrade of yours will look brand new after a few minutes with it. Trust me.

It also works wonders on chrome bumpers, grills, and virtually any tarnished metal.

Matt

28-Mar-18
Matt,

Never heard of it but I'll check it out.

Thank you.

28-Mar-18

Mint,

Sorry, I got busy cleaning up some old blades and missed your post. Here's my modest collection of Randalls. They're all carbon steel except for the survival knife on the left.

Matt

28-Mar-18
Hackbow,

You mean Vaseline?

28-Mar-18
Ordered the Flitz gun and knife cleaner a couple of hours ago.

Can't wait to get it!

29-Mar-18

This is an old butcher knife of my Father's that was in pretty rough shape. The Flitz and Brillo pad did the trick on it, too.

29-Mar-18
We used Never-Dull to clean and polish bright-work in the military.

29-Mar-18

Mint's embedded Photo
Mint's embedded Photo
Nice collection Matt. I've got the same as the top three on your left, I think they are the model 25 and Bird & Trout. Great knives. The guys in the shop get a bad rep as being rude but they get bothered all day long and they have to get the knives out. Since I ordered a few knives over the years when I'm on my Florida hog hunt they greet me as a customer rather than someone just looking and not buying like the majority of people that drop by. They've got a pretty cool collection there. Attached is a picture of a knife my friend made which came out great.

29-Mar-18
Mint,

I've never had the pleasure to visit the Randall shop, but I hope to someday. I can't imagine having a 5 YEAR backlog of orders. When I bought my first Randall the delivery wait was only a year.

That's a good looking blade your buddy made. What kind of steel is it?

Matt

29-Mar-18
Some call it patina...which can add to the value. But, if you don't like it a can of Brasso and some elbow grease can get rid of it...or a wire wheel on a bench grinder if you're in a real hurry.

30-Mar-18
Hey Matt, the steel is CPM35VN. I was lucky enough to take first place at my clubs 3D championship with my recurve and the knife was the prize. I've got four more of his knives all different styles and sizes.

30-Mar-18
Mint,

The CPM steels are my favorite. I have a Spyderco folder in CPM 110V. It takes a little work to put an edge on it, but it stays sharp forever when you do. It's the only blade I've ever used that will skin and quarter an entire elk without needing resharpening.

CPM 10V is another exceptional steel, but it's so hard to work with, very few knife makers will use it. Phil Wilson made me a set that I prize.

I could talk knives all day....;-)

Matt

31-Mar-18
I never heard of it until my friend started using it. You are right about keeping an edge, just like you I'll only use one knife while getting a deer ready for butchering. Hogs too. I'm just starting to really appreciate knives as much as my traditional bows. For some reason my wife has no problem with me buying them since she recognizes the craftsmanship involved.

02-Apr-18

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
First Knife
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
First Knife
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
2nd Knife
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
2nd Knife
My Flitz order arrived this afternoon and all I can say is "Thank you" to Matt and all the rest of you who weighed in.

The first picture here is the knife I was concerned about. The second is another Shrade. It was discolored but not nearly as bad as the first one. OTOH, I did not give the 2nd one the lemon juice treatment.

They both shined up pretty darned well.

02-Apr-18
ttt

• Sitka Gear