Grunt-N-Gobble 02-May-18
spike78 02-May-18
HDE 02-May-18
'Ike' 02-May-18
Tonybear61 02-May-18
Seapig@work 04-May-18
Michael 05-May-18
02-May-18
It appears the Boy Scouts of America will cease to exit as of the end of this year. It will be replaced by Scouts of America and will also include girls! WTF!!!! This liberal bullshit has gone on to long and has to stop!

02-May-18
they been over for a long time as far as I am concerned. They lost me in the 1960's. I joined the scouts to be in the outdoors, to camp, and hike....I spent most of my time not doing any of those things. My son was a cub scout and a boy scout in the 1990's.....but it was even worse and they lost us as members pretty quickly when it was even more lame. I will say that scouting returns to you are directly proportional to the effort you put into scouting.....but its nothing like it used to be.

02-May-18
Is Girl Scouts combining with them?

02-May-18
When I was in Scouts in the late 80's and early 90's, we did in fact, camp....... hike........ and do things outdoors all the time. But then I had an excellent scout master and a great group of assistant scout masters. Good men who took the time to teach us all those things the Scouts use to be known for.

Its a damn shame what the organization has turned into. At one time, I would have loved to have my son in Scouts and to be an assistant SM myself, but certainly no more. I cannot support the organization anymore.

02-May-18
Girl Scouts are not combining with the BSA. I have a daughter who is the Girl Scout equivalent of an Eagle Scout......in fact every girl in my wife's girl scout troop received the Gold Award......but it's different for girls. I really think boy scouting is, and mostly always has been, geared toward city people who don't get outside much. I think it's different if you are raised in the out doors like I was and my kids were.

02-May-18
I was in the Boy scouts and camped along with rock climbing so it was fun but I think these new kids growing up are more concerned with phones and video games then Scouts, hunting, fishing , camping, etc.

02-May-18
I read where it would be 'Scouts BSA'. Any guesses what BSA means? Here's a hint: Boy Scouts of America.

02-May-18
I thought they've been done...Shame!

02-May-18
Our BSA Troop is camping this weekend, after that the boys are doing a road clan-up. Went on a two mile hike last week so my son could finish his First Class badge. My daughter is a Girl Scout, been selling cookies for months. They don't mingle, leadership nor kids are pushing for them to do so either. The latest "allowing girls in" was a high level decision just to appease few ..

04-May-18
First off, we are still members of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). That hasn't changed and that won't change. As you all know, BSA has several "sub-groups" (called programs); Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturing, and Explorers. The "Boy Scout" program is the only one affected by yesterday's name change announcement. Last year, when it was announced that girls would be allowed to join the (first) Cub Scout and (eventually) Boy Scout programs, much hand wringing was had and I was one of them, but girls have been in the BSA for a long time, at least back to the 1970s in both Explorers and later Venturing. Those two progams (Explorers and Venturing) have been co-ed for a long time. To further clarify, worldwide, Scouts are co-ed at ALL age levels in 95% of other countries. Only in America and a handful of middle Eastern countries was it only for boys.

For any of you who have been in active Cub Scout Packs the last 5-10 years, you know that girls have been participating already at events and outings, primarily as siblings. Many sisters were already doing the same activities that their Cub Scout brothers were doing, but not getting any credit or recognition for it. Now they can. Cub Scout camping has been "family style" for years and that won't change either. With the inclusion of girls, officially, into Cubs, there were some logistical and psychological issues that needed to be addressed, knowing that boys and girls mature at different rates through adolescence. BSA's solution was to offer Cub Scouts in three different ways; (1) boy Cub Scout Packs, (2) girl Cub Scout Packs and (3) family Cub Scout Packs. In both the boy and girl Cub Scout Packs, all members of that pack would be single gender. Only in family Cub Scout Packs would there be any level of "dual-gender" interaction and even then, there is to be some separation, as Dens (as sub-group of a Cub Scout Pack) would remain single gender. So you will have a boy Wolf den and a girl Wolf den. A boy Bear den and a girl Bear den....and so forth. Each existing (boy) Cub Pack, along with its Charter Organization, would make the decision to remain single-gender (boy) or convert to family Cub Scouts. They are not being forced to take girls in an existing Pack. There will be new units that will be girl Cub Scout Packs, which means there will be at least one of those in the Auburn area. They are working to find a Charter Organization to partner with for this new girl Cub Scout Pack.

As for us, Boy Scout Troops, there was even a higher concern about the mixing of boys and girls in our program, but BSA knew it needed somewhere for all the girl Cub Scouts to go once they earned Arrow of Light. The mixing of genders in our age bracket was a heavy concern across the board (more so for some of us). So they decided to have girl "Boy Scout Troops" (now referred to as: a girl troop in Scouts BSA). We, Troop 371, will be a boy troop in Scouts BSA (though we will take our time converting our verbiage). As has been the case, our Charter organization (in our case, Lakeview Baptist Church) will continue to set standards for membership of our Troop. That hasn't changed. We will not have girls in Troop 371. This does mean there will eventually be girl Scout troops in the Auburn area. They will be working towards the same rank and merit badge requirements that the boys have been doing (and will continue to do so). They will have the opportunity to earn Eagle Scout. They will have to attend long-term and short-term camping, meaning that eventually, they'll attend summer camps. One thing that we haven't got a grip on is how will this affect summer camps and other multi-unit camping events (like camporees). I'd guess that some summer camps, due to logistical and facility issues that they may have separate weeks for boy troops and girl troops. Other camps may operate some co-ed camps. But honestly, I don't know. I'm guessing that each Council that operates a summer camp will have some hard decisions to make regarding that, based on their facilities and other logistical challenges.

05-May-18

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear