onX Maps
Intersting read in The Atlantic
Community
Contributors to this thread:
JD 19-May-18
Beendare 20-May-18
19-May-18

JD's Link
Came across this in The Atlantic magazine. It's a long read but thought provoking. I would argue with some of the observations the author makes but a few had me thinking.

"The Birth of a New American Aristocracy" by Matthew Stewart

20-May-18
When the author makes comments like this; "Every piece of the pie picked up by the 0.1 percent, in relative terms, had to come from the people below."

I started in the lower 1/3rd growing up and am now in the .9% according to this guy. I have multiple friends in the same economic class....all have worked their tails off to get where they are.

I didn't step on people to rise to the top....in fact I helped many providing good jobs, education and benefits. Many guys that have worked for me now own their own successful companies.

You don't have to be a blue blood to attend a good college....but you have to have top grades and have shown you work at it. The author casually disregards the fact that schools like Stanford....will pay your complete education if your parents earn less than $100k a year.

There are plenty of opportunities for folks that want to work. The economists that supply these statistics don't factor in what I consider the real reasons for peoples lack of success, stuff like a strong family, emphasis on education and work ethic, accomplishing something, treating others the way you wish to be treated, etc. Some of it is lack of realizing opportunities....of course.

I recommend this author spend less time at Starbucks....and more time writing a best seller.

• Sitka Gear