onX Maps
Average cost DIY AK hunt?
Community
Contributors to this thread:
SBH 22-May-18
Glunt@work 22-May-18
22-May-18
Hey guys, I'm looking to get to AK in the next couple years. Was really wanting to do moose DIY but after a few calls to some folks its looking like that will be a little out of our budget. Most of the drop camps are around $6k, then flights up there, getting meat back, incidentals...it starts to get into that 9$k-10$k world all in. So I thought maybe we could try caribou, or sitka deer to get our feet wet.

To those of you with personal experience, what do you think? Can a guy do caribou or sitka deer for closer to $5k? I'm talking all in. Assuming about $800 for ticket from the lower 48. All other costs including an extra day or two stay for weather, and getting meat horns back home. What have you guys done it for? Is there another option I should be looking at? Thanks

22-May-18
Last trip I did was a fly-in lodge on Kodiak for deer. They are currently $3200 for a week and that includes everything after you get to Kodiak. On top of that is airfare to Kodiak, license(s), tip and extra baggage. They run you around on a boat from the lodge but you hunt on your own. Four of us in camp, never saw another person and didn't even scratch the surface of area available. They had a decent set up for butchering your own deer and they vacuum sealed it and had waxed boxes for transport home. For a little extra we spent 1/2 a day catching halibut and cod.

Not really a DIY but pretty nice to only have to bring a bow and a duffel bag. A warm, dry room, comfy bed and hot meals aren't such a bad thing either.

• Sitka Gear