Scrappy 27-May-18
Iktomi 29-May-18
Pope125 29-May-18
Bou'bound 29-May-18
Mike B 29-May-18
casekiska 29-May-18
casekiska 29-May-18
23-May-18
Its a long story but wondering if there are any people out there that are not talking to there parents or a sibling? I have addressed things in letters to my brother and my Mom , either has responded . PRETTY SAD !

23-May-18
There are at least 2 sides to every story.

23-May-18
But when you get my side you'll get 110% the truth .

23-May-18
110%? Is that an untruth?

23-May-18
I have an older brother who I don't talk to. Many times I've decided he wasn't worth the trouble he causes. When he gets himself into trouble, I will go to his aid. My parents would have wanted it that way.

Your heart is in the right place. You've shown you're there if needed.

23-May-18
"We're Irish/Italian...what would you expect? We can fight like cats and dogs on minute and laugh like crazy the next."

That's our family.

Whatever your disagreements with your family are, Pope, bury the hatchet and forgive. When your family member is dead and buried any guilt in your heart remain with you forever and you will wish you had come to peace with them prior to their death.

23-May-18
My younger brother and I didn't talk for a solid year one time. He passed away at age 31. I'd give anything to have that year back. Thankfully we'd settled things before he was taken. Family can be a pain in the @ss sometimes but they are still FAMILY. Keep working on the relationship to bring it back.

23-May-18
A friend of mine was estranged from his mother and siblings for the last 20 years mostly because his soon to be ex wife is crazy. They did talk a little until his father passed away 15 years ago but after that nothing. Until now. He has discovered that it is worth reconciling and they are taking him back with open arms. He is regretting those lost years. Meanwhile, his wife has turned his 3 kids against him, (they are 18-21 years old), and we are seeing the cycle all over again.

Families are important, don't throw yours away.

23-May-18
Both my parents are up in age , at the point need help doing things . My brother started paying there bills , started opening all there mail . I have been to my parents house plenty times , I have ask them if they wanted my help or needed anything then I find out the next day brother is there for three hours the next day doing things . What has pissed me off more than anything that I was there one day and a big packet arrives from there attorney . Well to find out they gave my brother POA , DOING IT ALL BEHIND MY BACK THINKING I WOULD NEVER FIND OUT WHAT THEY DID .

23-May-18
Thought this was the 30 year old that had to be evicted from his parents house!

23-May-18
IKE , not sure what your saying .

23-May-18
LOL, I read that story this morning.

23-May-18
I've seen some people do some terrible things to family members in the pursuit of money. It is never worth it. Money can come and go, family should be the most important thing in your life ALWAYS.

Just be there to help your parents any way you can. Don't worry about any power of attorney or anything like that. Your rewards will be infinitely greater than anything money can buy!

23-May-18
This one Pope...

A 30-year-old man court-ordered to vacate his parents' home on Tuesday said he should be given more time to leave because of how much his parents "harassed" him about moving out.

Michael Rotondo, of Camillus, New York, had been living rent-free in his parents' Syracuse-area home for eight years when a State Supreme Court judge ruled on Tuesday in his parents’ favor, ordering him to move out.

23-May-18
Greg x 2.

As my mother in law often said, "it's just things." I'm as sentimental about family things as you will find. Things that mean nothing to anyone else often hold memories dear to me. I have a brother and a sister, both older than me. My parents are 91 and 87 so it won't be long before we have to deal with things. Some things my folks have already earmarked for kids/grandkids/greatgrandkids either by putting their name on the item or outright giving it to the person. Other things will be up for grabs so to speak. I have made up my mind that no matter what, I will put family first and remember what my mother in law said. There is nothing worth losing family over.

23-May-18
Despite my best intentions to make things right over the years with my brother, it has always come back to bite me. The last time we talked was 2011 after the 'SD turkey hunt from hell'. I don't plan to ever deal with him again. The best way to get along with him is to not have anything to do with him or his crazy, evil wife.

23-May-18
Pope125, you need to take a really sober evaluation of the situation. For one, your parents' POA is nothing to which anyone is entitled. Secondly, there are a million motivations for selecting a POA before nary a nefarious one is encountered. Give the benefit of the doubt. Lastly, POA is a HEAVY, TRIFLING burden that you may not want.

As far as helping, parents will always say, "No." You just show up for lunch and find your way to the ladder to clean the gutters or figure some other acceptable way to lend a hand. But don't do it with an attitude. Go at it with a pure heart.

24-May-18
"Unless you have proof your brother did something nefarious you should be thanking him, not condemning him."

How was the POA screwing you? Will your brother steal from your parents? Will your brother use their money for himself and not for them? Did you want the job of being POA (as Pig points out, it can be a full-time job)?

It is hard to tell on the internet from the 2 meaningful posts that you put out, but it could be the same situation as me and my brother. If he comes back at some point and complains about me being POA, he will get an earful about hearing from him the last 30 years ONLY when he needs money. I still love him, but I don't have to like him.

Like others have mentioned, if your brother has bad intentions and is taking advantage of your parents, you have a valid concern. If your feelings were hurt or you are already counting your inheritance, it is time to re-evaluate your concern.

24-May-18
When my mother knew her time was short, she gave POA to my sister who lived the closest and was already handling a lot of her things. She was worried that it would upset my brother and I that she didn't choose us. We made sure she knew we agreed with her decision and that we would help any way we could. Then she was worried because she wanted to give my sister 1/2 of her small estate and split the other 1/2 between my brother and I as a thank you for my sister handling everything. Again, we had to reassure her that it sounded more than fair to us and we would be fine if she wanted to give my sister all of it if she wanted. Relieving her concerns and getting the most out of the time left were the only things we were focused on.

I don't know the details of your situation, but my advise is to give them a hug and let them know you support their decisions. If your brother is doing something shady to them, handling it with him may be appropriate but if its simply a case of them deciding they want him to handle their affairs, supporting it may be the best option. I can't even put a price on what it would be worth to have one more hunt with my Dad or a few days to let my mother see how her grandkids have grown.

24-May-18
The hole thing in a nut shell why did they need to go behind my back and do what they did and then all three of them lie about it . In my eyes thats 'BULLSHIT' you don't do things like that . Im done with this threat cause its really pissing me off more .

24-May-18
The hole thing in a nut shell why did they need to go behind my back and do what they did and then all three of them lie about it . In my eyes thats 'BULLSHIT' you don't do things like that . Im done with this threat cause its really pissing me off more .

24-May-18
I'm beginning to understand why they may have wanted to conceal the decision from you.

Look, the POA decision is tough for aging parents much like choosing God parents is for newly minted moms and dads. Folks have to choose ONE option and that leaves a lot of quality people feeling "judged lacking" in some way. We all know that is often wholly untrue so a grown person should have the mental and emotional maturity to receive such information and, further, to extend grace in cases where it may have been mishandled.

Bowsite Pro-Tip - Don't come here looking for rank validation. We suck at it.

24-May-18
"I catch him when he's strayin' like any brother should, Man turns his back on his family, he ain't no good"

Johnny Cash, from "Me and Frankie"

Lot of truth to that. Family is a gift from God, even with their "baggage". Work it out..

24-May-18
Pope, If you are mad about your brother potentially messing with your inheritance or something like that...my advice (take it for what it's worth) would be to forget about it. Life is much too short to worry about stuff like that...it's just stuff. You are doing yourself more harm by stressing about "stuff". Just my opinion...take care

24-May-18
Your parents money and property is not yours...

24-May-18
"The hole thing in a nut shell why did they need to go behind my back and do what they did and then all three of them lie about it . In my eyes thats 'BULLSHIT' you don't do things like that ."

They made a decision about the handling of their affairs. No obligation to consult you existed, unless they were requesting that you take on the responsibilities. I fail to see how that constitutes "getting screwed by your own family".

I have a surfeit of "getting screwed" experiences. Generally, they involve huge expenditures of time, effort, possessions and money of mine lost... none involve entitlement to knowledge or other's possessions, money etc.

24-May-18
Pope, were you the youngest in your family?

24-May-18
Seven years ago, my Mother could no longer live alone, and needed help to even go to the bathroom.

.. .. .

.. .. .

Both my Sister ( older than I ), and myself offered to move her in. She chose my Sister.

A couple of years later, and a broken hip and shoulder, she had to go in a nursing home for a short stay. She made my Sister Executer of her Will, and gave her POA, with me being secondary. I was not consulted, but never felt it was behind my back. It was my Mom's decision.

Then, after healing, back to my Sisters home.

A couple of years later, old age dementia and old age Parkinsons, put my Mom back into a Nursing Home because she needed medical care that my Sister could not provide.

My Sister had to deal with EVERYTHING - Medicaid, Medicare, Social Services, selling the home, medical treatment decisions, Doctors, Nurses, Administrators, EVERYTHING.

My Mom passed away, it will be two years this November. Last fall, after everything had been settled in the estate, my Sister called me and said there was some money left over. I told her to keep it all.

I had rather go back through Marine Corps Boot Camp twice in a row, than to have to deal with the things my Sister had to go through taking care of my Mom's estate, and dealing with State agencies.

My Mother loved me very much, but she did not consult me with her decisions, and I was OK with that.

My Sister was the champion of the family, the Guardian of my Mother, and a Pit Bull when dealing with the miles of red tape. She did consult with me when she could, but sometimes had to make decisions on the spot. I had no issue with that. There must be a special place in Heaven awaiting my Sister and my Brother-in-law, for the things they endured, and the love they gave my Mother when she was helpless.

24-May-18
Pope, you feel betrayed and your feelings are hurt... understandable, take kpc advice he's level headed and seems pretty knowledgeable... you came here, cf didn't come to you... part of life and growing up is also moving on.

24-May-18
Quite certain there are crucial details to the situation that nobody knows, so therefore, impossible to give any advice.

Sometimes people just need a listening post...

25-May-18
My dad gave my sister POA a long time ago. She also gets 100% of everything when he dies. He did this to try and make getting rid of his assets most convenient for all. It's up to her to give me a piece of what's left after she pays any taxes. (Luckily he has no debt). If I get absolutely nothing I will still love my big sis because she is family and in the end that's all that matters. On my end, I will take care of everything for my mom when she goes and give half of what's left to my sister after bills and taxes are paid. It usually works best if we do what we can to help our family and expect nothing in return. We only get one family and should show them forgiveness, acceptance and unconditional love.

Same subject different topic, my wife's dad abandoned her when I got her pregnant at 15yrs old and she refused to get an abortion. That son he wanted us to kill graduates from high school this weekend. She's reached out to him a few times. I've reached out to him a few times. He's still a prick and I look forward to punching him in the face if I ever see him.

25-May-18
It's only stuff...not to mention somebody's else's stuff. Work harder at getting your own stuff and you can take pride in it, not to mention maintaining your blood pressure and sleep better at night not worrying about what you did or didn't inherit. Stuff, that's all it is. Nothing in the world is worth having more than your family, and if stuff means more to you than family then there's not much anybody here can tell you.

25-May-18
15 years between me and my younger sis. Just the two of us. Our folks are getting older so the topic is beginning to come up. I’m in a little better place than she is financially, so I want her and my niece to have it all. Family is everything. Don’t regret something down the road that you can remedy today. It’s just money. You can go out and make some more tomorrow.

25-May-18
"The hole thing in a nut shell why did they need to go behind my back and do what they did and then all three of them lie about it . In my eyes thats 'BULLSHIT' you don't do things like that ."

"I have addressed things in letters to my brother and my Mom , either has responded . PRETTY SAD !"

Addressed in a letter?

Give up the hate, call or go see them and let them know you are willing to help (If you are). This is your MOM, look at everything from her point of view and I think you can figure out why things are the way they are.

Your first positive step was coming to the CF because we are good at tough love....lol

Heal Thy Relationship with Family!

25-May-18
My reading comprehension skills have been criticized before, but I did not read where Pope said anything about money.

What I read is a guy who is upset because he was not communicated with. Something you Normally can expect from those you love.

But I agree, the CF is not the place to get support with limited facts. Maybe actual professional help is warranted?

We all have faced family challenges at one time or another. They are family, but keep your own values intact, IMHO. Best wishes.

25-May-18
35 years in person, or on the Net?

25-May-18
Kevin,

I read again. Relating to something I am familiar with in a close family situation. Sometimes people are not concerned about the money for themselves, but rather will it be handled properly for a loved one. I am thinking of someone in my own family who is very honest, but also very un-wise with handling money.

I try and use humor a little, so where you said "almost always", I once almost shot a B&C deer, empasis on almost.

Just seems to be a lot of judging and assumptions with very little information shared. You may be correct, but you are probably old enough to know sometimes what something looks like ends up not being the case.

26-May-18
The bow site is a great resource for solving longstanding family issues. Get on a plane and go hug them for crying out loud. You’ll all be dead before you know it and you may not be the first to go.

26-May-18
KPC nailed it...its about the money. Why else would power over their finances bother him? You folks that don't believe that are naive.

Someone has to step up in that situation...the brother did. Just do what you can to help with the right intentions Pope and it will all work out.

27-May-18
Life is to short, its simple really if family sucks walk away. I did many years ago with no regrets.

29-May-18
Well, gee whiz. Someone amongst your sibling/s needs to have POA, so a choice had to be made as to which one might do the best job. Maybe ask yourself why it wasn't you, rather than raging at your folks and brother....

29-May-18
Well I have read all the post , and pretty much have to laugh . I guess people think its ok , that your family can lie , do things behind your back , and think its ok . Other people mighty not do anything, but I refuse to sit back and be treated like trash .

29-May-18
You were the one that posted originally and looked for support. Watch what you ask for I guess. Maybe an outdoor chat room is not the best place to get family dynamics counseling............who would have guessed.

29-May-18
Pope: "Well I have read all the post , and pretty much have to laugh . I guess people think its ok , that your family can lie , do things behind your back , and think its ok . Other people mighty not do anything, but I refuse to sit back and be treated like trash . "

No, it's not right, but it likely happens a few thousand times every day.

Respectfully Pope, your parents raised you, fed and clothed you, educated you and helped you get a start in life. Since they chose not to include you, what they choose to do with their belongings and legal issues is their choice to make.

I understand it hurt your feelings...well, ya need to get over that and move on.

Since you've been relieved of the burden for administrating your parents estate, spend the remaining time with them and appreciate all they have done in their lives. THAT Sir, is far more important than dealing with the avalanche of legal issues that come as a result of a parent passing away.

If things are really that hostile around your parents house because of your hurt feelings, then step away. DO NOT make your parents last days miserable because you didn't like their choices. Don't blame your family members for a decision your parents made...that will only fill your days with anger and hurt, and permanently damage any chance of your having any kind of decent relationship with your siblings.

I don't know what you were expecting when you came here to share this issue...what the hell were we supposed to do about it?

29-May-18

29-May-18
Just because they are family does not mean they will not do you wrong. The voice of experience can tell many a tale!

• Sitka Gear