Thunderflight 04-Jun-18
slade 04-Jun-18
Owl 05-Jun-18
Franzen 05-Jun-18
Amoebus 05-Jun-18
02-Jun-18

the_runner's embedded Photo
Built a deck last spring and I’m looking for ideas on what to use to make a boarder on two sides. The bottom of the deck is approx 3’ off the ground and I’m forever crawling out to retrieve toys (kids are 5&2).

02-Jun-18

02-Jun-18
Spike is correct. Latrice is a cheap easy solution. Also you could plant shrubs of some sort, but that means maintenance as it grows.

02-Jun-18
I also would use lattice...To have it fairly inconspicuous install it a foot or two underneath back from the outer edge of the deck.

02-Jun-18
I'd use the heavy duty lattice. It's a few bucks more but LOTS sturdier.

03-Jun-18
Use a long stick with a hook of sorts on one end. Keep it stored near/under the deck for handy use.

03-Jun-18
Thanks all for the feedback.

04-Jun-18
The bad thing about Lattice is keeping it looking good. Painting it is a pain in the butt and it still allows some critters to get in under your deck. When lattice starts to age and fall apart it can really make your deck look bad.

One option might be to run fencing board around the out side. It'll be easier to stain and much more resistant to small animals and such. You could also plant some shrubs in front of it.

04-Jun-18
Vinyl lattice doesn't need to be painted.

05-Jun-18
Vinyl lattice. Don't plant shrubs. It will just give you an obstacle to contend with on your way to get whatever toy went flying under or through. :)

05-Jun-18
Personally, I can't stand lattice, especially the run-or-the-mill wood kind. Trimming against lattice sucks, and it looks like you would have grass right up to it. You could always glyph it. Since you're 3' up, you might drive some stakes at the bottom on occasion to tie whatever you use off to. Those large outdoor plastic totes sure are nice.

05-Jun-18
I would get synthetic - for whatever design you use - especially if it is touching the ground.

But, I won't use wood on another deck that I build/re-build. Just too much maintenance (pretty much yearly up here in MN) involved to keep a cedar deck looking decent. I put in Trex on my front deck/entry in 2006 and had to powerwash it once in that time to get rid of some mold/mildew - otherwise it looks new. My back deck (cedar) is a mess - until I get the time/money to re-do it.

the_runner - Your deck looks good, but I only see balusters for most of the railing, almost no rail posts - is it sturdy? (Granted, if it fails, you are only going to fall 3'...)

• Sitka Gear