bad karma 09-Jun-18
70lbdraw 09-Jun-18
Salagi 09-Jun-18
Salagi 09-Jun-18
Salagi 09-Jun-18
tonyo6302 09-Jun-18
Coyote 65 09-Jun-18
08-Jun-18
I used to be a church member and paid the 10 percent tithe as required.was married then,then divorced.not a member anymore and divorced.usually all the preacher would beg for was,money.I've had my fill of the money begging preachers.anymore its a big business and a big musical production with just enough preaching to feel good and keep the money rolling in.doesent matter what the name on the religion is.

08-Jun-18
These religious company's have strings of lawyers to keep their money sucking ways legit.there after the money,and their fancy ways of begging money has a bunch of brainwashed followers sending money,even if they can't afford it.this goes on in big churches too.some churches you get a bill each month to pay up.

08-Jun-18
If you don't want to tithe, don't. No way I would go to a church that sends a bill. Tithing has to be voluntary or it's pretty worthless as intended. And there's no set amount.

08-Jun-18
Maybe you should get involved with a small rural church, get on the finance committee to see the struggles of deciding which bills to pay, because you don’t have enough money to pay all of them. Then you can see the true drive of the preacher to spread the Word of God. I’ve never been to a large/mega church, so I don’t know about your experiences. I did belong to a small church that would spend a lot of money on unneeded things and beg for more money all the time.....but I said “did”. I love my current church, I just hope that it can keep going because we are always behind on our bills, but do the best we can. The average weekly attendance is about 60 people.

I feel bad that your experience has been so negative and you think all churches are the same.

08-Jun-18
or you can donate to food banks, clothing, paying a family member or neighbors fuel bill, mow their lawn... i think that counts with the Almighty.

08-Jun-18

Salagi's embedded Photo
Salagi's embedded Photo
Sadly there are many out there that are in it for the funds. One church around here I am told requires you to give them a copy of your tax return and they "tithe" you accordingly. That is just plain ungodly. Tithing was required under the Law of Moses (and it really wasn't 10% of income when you study it). It is NOT taught in the New Testament. Paul tells the church in Corinth to give as "God hath prospered him." (I Cor 16:1-2). Then, in his 2nd letter to them Paul writes "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give, not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." (2 Cor 9:7).

I have never been asked how much I make or give nor have I asked, how much someone makes or how much they give to the work of the church even when I was treasurer of a congregation. When I counted the money, I couldn't tell you who gave and who didn't or how much even when they wrote a check. I made it a point to look only at the amount and not the name. Again, it is none of my business how much an individual or family gives. Anyone who says otherwise is most assuredly not abiding by Biblical principals.

There are plenty of congregations out there that are not in it for the money or the pomp and ceremony. Those are the ones who strive to teach the truth and save the lost. That is their purpose.

08-Jun-18
Sounds like you might have a bigger issue with churches than just money.

If what you say is true, then you need to find a different church. Any preacher that continually asks for money, isnt doing the job he was called to do.

My family and i go to a large church in our area and they have a very large budget. There is only one time a year when the pastor asks for money, but i cant remeber what the specific reason is for, but i think its for supporting a church/school in Africa. At no other time does he ask for money. We attend because the pastor actually preaches the word of God. I know it when i hear it. Years of listening to my Dad preach every Sunday will do that. Plus their childerns ministery is fantastic.

I encourage you to not loose your faith and find yourself another church that suits your needs with a pastor you like.

09-Jun-18
When I counted the money, I couldn't tell you who gave and who didn't or how much even when they wrote a check. I made it a point to look only at the amount and not the name. Again, it is none of my business how much an individual or family gives. Anyone who says otherwise is most assuredly not abiding by Biblical principals.

That's the way we operate. The only person who knows who tithes what is our treasurer and he is canonically prevented from revealing any information about who tithes what. That includes our rector(pastor). She has no clue who gives. And anyone who wishes to remain 100% anonymous can just tithe cash to the plate in an envelope.

Shameless plug: Anyone who has ever asked him/herself "What's wrong with this country?" or pondered our rapid moral decay and does not go to church, I'd offer that our lifestyle habits are abandoning the structures of traditional morality. The fabric that knits our morality together is dry rotting from neglect and we are seeing the effects.

09-Jun-18
Which troll is this?

09-Jun-18

70lbdraw's Link
Here ya go. Follow this guy! He's a sure ticket to heaven.

Only a fool follows guys like this!

09-Jun-18
"Which troll is this?"

Dan is a regular over on the Leatherwall. He makes some mighty fine hats and gives them away from time to time over there. No troll here.

09-Jun-18
"Only a fool follows guys like this!"

"A Fool and His Money" was a movie that came out several years ago about a man who creates a religion based on selfishness. Sad thing is several people would probably join up if there was one like that. And actually, in some ways there are.

I Tim 4:3-4 always comes to mind when people like the jet buying "preachers" show up. They preach a feel good doctrine just to attract people and "fleece the flock" as my old Pappy says.

09-Jun-18

Salagi's Link
And then there is Ray Stevens that sang it well.

09-Jun-18
Good one Salagi.

.. .. .

.. …

But, those of us who believe, know that the Almighty works in mysterious ways . . . .

.. . . … .

.. .. . .

09-Jun-18
I belong to a major denominal church in a retirement area. There are 3 children that regularly attend services. Guess what, they want a youth minister.

The preacher is all gung ho for amnisty international and sending people to mexico to help the poor, but does very little for the poor in our own community. He also sends lay ministers to Utah.

The one thing they have done for the local community is a weekend lunch program for disadvantaged kids. We specify that our donations go for that.

Terry

• Sitka Gear