TD 10-Jun-18
slade 10-Jun-18
HDE 10-Jun-18
JL 10-Jun-18
Grey Ghost 11-Jun-18
HDE 11-Jun-18
DL 11-Jun-18
09-Jun-18
Trump announcing he’ll support the legalization of Marijuana must have just caused their sphincters to tighten up so tight their brains exploded. I’m personally not for it but if every state is going to legalize why waste resources on trying to enforce federal laws?

10-Jun-18
It would clean up the banking aspect of the pot trade.

10-Jun-18
"... rots the mind like booze ...

So, we should make booze illegal then, eh? Oh wait, we tried that once.

Matt

10-Jun-18

JL's Link
If there is legit medicinal use....I can see that. I think folks who claim to need it for a hang nail....nah. There is a lichen or a sea weed out there that has similar chemical composition as pot....that might have less stigma. To make it totally legal seems like another vice for society to deal with like alcohol. At what point of drug use/acceptance will society say is enough? Below are some stats from the NIH about alcohol use. I suppose my concern is if pot is legalized, will we see stats similar to the below....especially the economic burden for the country ($249 billion)? Is that acceptable? I read that Colorado has seen a spike in pot-related problems now that it is legal there. Maybe they will be a guinea pig. I seen a Jan 2018 article that said Fed tax revenue from national legalization could be as much as $132 billion. That is short of the $249 billion it costs the U.S. for alcohol abuse. If we add in the cost to taxpayers the cost of alcohol abuse and pot abuse....what will that be? Should the taxpayers have to pay the costs for the choices some make with alcohol and drugs? I guess that question has to be answered.

Alcohol Facts and Statistics

Alcohol Use in the United States: • Prevalence of Drinking: According to the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 86.4 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they drank alcohol at some point in their lifetime; 70.1 percent reported that they drank in the past year; 56.0 percent reported that they drank in the past month.1 • Prevalence of Binge Drinking and Heavy Alcohol Use: In 2015, 26.9 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they engaged in binge drinking in the past month; 7.0 percent reported that they engaged in heavy alcohol use in the past month.2 (See "Definitions" below for definitions of binge drinking and heavy alcohol use.)

Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD) in the United States: • Adults (ages 18+): According to the 2015 NSDUH, 15.1 million adults ages 18 and older3 (6.2 percent of this age group4) had AUD. This includes 9.8 million men3 (8.4 percent of men in this age group4) and 5.3 million women3 (4.2 percent of women in this age group4). • About 6.7 percent of adults who had AUD in the past year received treatment. This includes 7.4 percent of males and 5.4 percent of females with AUD in this age group.5

• Youth (ages 12–17): According to the 2015 NSDUH, an estimated 623,000 adolescents ages 12–176 (2.5 percent of this age group7) had AUD. This number includes 298,000 males6 (2.3 percent of males in this age group7) and 325,000 females6 (2.7 percent of females in this age group7). • About 5.2 percent of youth who had AUD in the past year received treatment. This includes 5.1 percent of males and 5.3 percent of females with AUD in this age group.5

Alcohol-Related Deaths: • An estimated 88,0008 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women8) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States. The first is tobacco, and the second is poor diet and physical inactivity.9 • In 2014, alcohol-impaired driving fatalities accounted for 9,967 deaths (31 percent of overall driving fatalities).10

Economic Burden: • In 2010, alcohol misuse cost the United States $249.0 billion.11 • Three-quarters of the total cost of alcohol misuse is related to binge drinking.11

Global Burden: • In 2012, 3.3 million deaths, or 5.9 percent of all global deaths (7.6 percent for men and 4.0 percent for women), were attributable to alcohol consumption.12 • In 2014, the World Health Organization reported that alcohol contributed to more than 200 diseases and injury-related health conditions, most notably DSM–IV alcohol dependence (see sidebar), liver cirrhosis, cancers, and injuries.13 In 2012, 5.1 percent of the burden of disease and injury worldwide (139 million disability-adjusted life-years) was attributable to alcohol consumption.12 • Globally, alcohol misuse was the fifth leading risk factor for premature death and disability in 2010. Among people between the ages of 15 and 49, it is the first.14 In the age group 20–39 years, approximately 25 percent of the total deaths are alcohol attributable.15

Family Consequences: • More than 10 percent of U.S. children live with a parent with alcohol problems, according to a 2012 study.16

Underage Drinking: • Prevalence of Underage Alcohol Use: • Prevalence of Drinking: According to the 2015 NSDUH, 33.1 percent of 15-year-olds report that they have had at least 1 drink in their lives.17 About 7.7 million people ages 12–2018 (20.3 percent of this age group19) reported drinking alcohol in the past month (19.8 percent of males and 20.8 percent of females19). • Prevalence of Binge Drinking: According to the 2015 NSDUH, approximately 5.1 million people18 (about 13.4 percent19) ages 12–20 (13.4 percent of males and 13.3 percent of females19) reported binge drinking in the past month. • Prevalence of Heavy Alcohol Use: According to the 2015 NSDUH, approximately 1.3 million people18 (about 3.3 percent19) ages 12–20 (3.6 percent of males and 3.0 percent of females19) reported heavy alcohol use in the past month.

• Consequences of Underage Alcohol Use: • Research indicates that alcohol use during the teenage years could interfere with normal adolescent brain development and increase the risk of developing AUD. In addition, underage drinking contributes to a range of acute consequences, including injuries, sexual assaults, and even deaths—including those from car crashes.20

Alcohol and College Students: • Prevalence of Alcohol Use: • Prevalence of Drinking: According to the 2015 NSDUH, 58.0 percent of full-time college students ages 18–22 drank alcohol in the past month compared with 48.2 percent of other persons of the same age.21 • Prevalence of Binge Drinking: According to the 2015 NSDUH, 37.9 percent of college students ages 18–22 reported binge drinking in the past month compared with 32.6 percent of other persons of the same age.21 • Prevalence of Heavy Alcohol Use: According to the 2015 NSDUH, 12.5 percent of college students ages 18–22 reported heavy alcohol use in the past month compared with 8.5 percent of other persons of the same age.21

• Consequences—Researchers estimate that each year: • 1,825 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including motor-vehicle crashes.22 • 696,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are assaulted by another student who has been drinking.23 • 97,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 report experiencing alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape.23 • Roughly 20 percent of college students meet the criteria for AUD.24 • About 1 in 4 college students report academic consequences from drinking, including missing class, falling behind in class, doing poorly on exams or papers, and receiving lower grades overall.25

Alcohol and Pregnancy: • The prevalence of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) in the United States was estimated by the Institute of Medicine in 1996 to be between 0.5 and 3.0 cases per 1,000.26 • More recent reports from specific U.S. sites report the prevalence of FAS to be 2 to 7 cases per 1,000, and the prevalence of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) to be as high as 20 to 50 cases per 1,000.27,28

Alcohol and the Human Body: • In 2015, of the 78,529 liver disease deaths among individuals ages 12 and older, 47.0 percent involved alcohol. Among males, 49,695 liver disease deaths occurred and 49.5 percent involved alcohol. Among females, 28,834 liver disease deaths occurred and 43.5 percent involved alcohol.29 • Among all cirrhosis deaths in 2013, 47.9 percent were alcohol related. The proportion of alcohol-related cirrhosis was highest (76.5 percent) among deaths of persons ages 25–34, followed by deaths of persons ages 35–44, at 70.0 percent.30 • In 2009, alcohol-related liver disease was the primary cause of almost 1 in 3 liver transplants in the United States.31 • Drinking alcohol increases the risk of cancers of the mouth, esophagus, pharynx, larynx, liver, and breast.3

10-Jun-18
The millennials are already lazy so what’s some pot going to do to them lol. It’s all just a big tax grab anyway but the politicians say that is what the people want so be it. My state is supporting legalization federally but that is because they see dollar signs which is the motivator for every law here in commie MA. The support is being brought on by non other then Lizzy herself whom only seems to put her hands on useless legislation and nothing meaningful here in the commie-wealth.

10-Jun-18
Sounds awesome!

Legalizing pot will raise more tax revenue and, if the Republicans make it legal in the US, it will certainly make the dope smokin’ libtards heads spin!

Hell, they might finally vote out some of their idiots like Polotsi and Chuckie that have accomplished nothing other than bilking the public of millions of dollars.

If they can manage to get their stoned asses off the couch to vote...

10-Jun-18
I always chuckle at the misconceptions about pot use. Usually it's from people who have never smoked it.

You'd be surprised who uses pot, if they were open about it. I personally know several high level and successful corporate executives who have smoked weed for years. I even know a few doctors and nurses who smoke recreationally. Not all pot is the brain numbing couch potato drug depicted in those silly commercials in the '60s and '70s.

Anyway, I'm not advocating, I'm just trying to educate a few who obviously have never tried it.

Matt

10-Jun-18
Nice jtv. Spoken like the true liberal you are. You don’t like it, so BAN IT. CRY BABY!

10-Jun-18
JTV,

Once again, comprehension skills elude you.

I never said it was "ok". My point is, the misconception that only burnt out hippies and/or mis-guided teenagers smoke pot is laughable. Similar to alcohol drinkers, there are millions of intelligent and successful professionals who smoke weed, occasionally, without any life-ruining adverse affects.

Some of you seem to think this absurd commercial is accurate, which couldn't be further from the truth. As I've posted before, if this doesn't make you laugh, you've never smoked weed.

Matt

10-Jun-18
No jtv, every single time you post something, you sound like a rather uncomfortable man. You want to ban everything for everybody if it’s something you don’t do or participate in. But if it’s what you like, then hell No, don’t ban it. By your logic, everyone that hates the AR-15 should get their way. Everyone who hates fast cars, should get their way. Everyone who hates smoking (me) should get their way. Everyone who hates everything about YOU should get their way, by your logic. “I don’t do it, so I don’t care”. Aw yes...true freedom lover. Clown.

10-Jun-18
Thanks for playing Paul blart.

10-Jun-18
JTV,

What part of “I’m not advocating” do you not understand?

Look, evidence exists of humans using mood altering drugs (plants mostly) thru-out history. The Peruvians chewed on coca leaves over 8000 year ago. What do you think was in American Indian’s ceremonial pipes? I’ll clue you in, it wasn’t just tobacco. According to the Bible, Jesus turned water into wine to celebrate a wedding. Those are facts.

We can debate the relative health and behavioral dangers of all the common drugs in our society, including alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, THC, etc…, if you wish, but I don’t really care to. I think it should be a matter of personal choice and responsibility to use any drug. Hmm…freedom of choice and personal responsibility…what novel ideas.

Matt

10-Jun-18
Alcohol and tobacco each have more of a negative effect on the country than marijuana will ever have.

10-Jun-18
Idyll - if marijuana becomes as used as cigs, won't we have the same level of lung cancers/etc from it?

10-Jun-18
That's because, right now, alcohol and tobacco are not federally illegal...

10-Jun-18
So basically what you’re all saying is, if we legalize it, more will use it? You do know that history proves you wrong, right?

I don’t smoke Or drink. But I can.

10-Jun-18
As far as tax revenue...California is losing that battle after legalizing last Year.

They tried to tax the crap out of the Dispensaries...so people just went back to getting "bargain bud" from their dealers.

10-Jun-18
if marijuana becomes as used as cigs, won't we have the same level of lung cancers/etc from it? ..

Pretty much yes, cigs and tobacco have about 200 nasty elements besides the nicotine, CO2, menthol, etc. Weed have over 400 in addition to the THC, plus the studies showing the shit has molds, fungal and bacterial spores. Just the kind of thing you want to give to folks with serious medical problems and immunity efficiency right??

In case you didn't know electronic cigs also have their share of toxins, its just a different delivery system for the nicotine, but other elements in the tinctures are harmful, plus still an ignition source.

If you want an effective treatment, recreational drug that can have a proper dose response, refine the THC, CO2, flavorants, etc. remove the other crap and maybe use a nebulizer, delivery system w/o the toxins for those folks who really need the treatment.

That said under the influence be aware, just like alcohol there should be consequences for F ups . If you drive a vehicle, heavy machinery, work in a safety function while under the influence and cause harm be ready to be sued, incarcerated, etc. No matter who you are...

10-Jun-18
Colorado has brought in over $500 million in taxes and fees since we legalized pot. I didn't see my taxes go down any, so I guess we found somewhere to spend that extra $500 million. The roads are more congested than ever, service at the DMV still stinks, schools are crying for more funding and teachers are striking for more pay. We did grow our homeless population and my kids get to see folks working the corners with cardboard signs all over the town I grew up in and never saw anyone begging. Not sure thats all due to legalized pot but our Sheriff says their contact with homeless folks has skyrocketed and legal pot is at the top of the list when he asks them what brings them here. At my kids last hockey tournament we stayed at a pretty nice Embassy Suites in Denver. The place reeked due to the pot business across the street.

I wish they would get busy legalizing it across the country so we can spread the wealth around.

10-Jun-18
Lol Glunt, did you expect a tax cut? Spend spend spend

10-Jun-18
For all the old hippies out there..... the pot now differs a great deal from the 70s-80s....... many times over.

The reality though is state by state it is becoming "legal". I think the feds are chasing their tails trying to enforce fed law. So boldly take it to the next level..... legalize it. Then tax it. At double whatever the state tax may be...... state sales are documented. Should be an easy simple form.... accompanied by a check...... and the entertainment value of watching the pot industry's collective "heads" explode maybe almost worth it.....

Personally, having seen a great deal of pot heads where it isn't even legal..... yeah, it makes you stupid and lazy. (True enough, booze makes you drunk.) Giving it a societal stamp of approval however..... big mistake. Currently it is... or was.... users held to at lease a bit of secrecy and not open unabashed use. There being a least some societal or moral stigma to it. That thin "restriction" or social control will cease to exist.

It will become the "opiate" of the masses. The true mind numbed robots..... The workforce will embrace it..... and no real way to test stoners as with tests it currently cannot be proven if you are stoned.... or were just partying a day or two ago.....

IMO big mistake. And as with most governmental laws that cave in to societal popularity...... the results of the social experiment will not be known until too late.....

10-Jun-18
Glunt,

The majority of Colorado's weed tax revenues have been used for school project funding and other educational budgets, just as the legislation outlines. It's documented if you care to research it.

I think the reality is, there won't be a huge spike in users if it's legalized everywhere. Those who want it now can easily get it...virtually anywhere. Those who don't want it won't suddenly change their minds when it's legal.

What will happen is the tax revenues, and tourism dollars, that Colorado has realized as one of the first states to legalize it, will dwindle as more states follow the same path.

Matt

10-Jun-18
I agree TD. especially those who work with equipment/machinery, I see the pot heads getting disability like the chronic alcoholics.

Out here the brilliant progressives licensed way more growers then sellers and now there is an over abundance in supply, falling wholesale prices and some growers are getting out of it.

10-Jun-18
And it seems nobody sees the irony in the stupidstuff tax revenue going towards the schools...... smoke on Spicoli..... smoke on..... totally harmless....

10-Jun-18
Come on Trub, did you think the closet democrat would post anything but fake myths perpetuated by the left with the usual dose of do my homework to see if I am full of it.

10-Jun-18
The problem with democrat ran states is they can't do anything right. In the case of CO, they legalized pot to generate tax monies because they waste the normal tax revenue generated.

10-Jun-18
IMO....as time goes by, this tax the dope thing may not work out as states think it might. I don't drink or smoke dope. If I did smoke the dope....I'm thrifty (ie...cheap) and I would grow my own for free to avoid the store cost and the Fed/state/local taxes. I might even grow some extra and give or sell to my fellow dope heads. I think it takes a little more to money and time to make beer....probably why it doesn't get the press. Growing some plants is a low cost effort so I think more folks will realize that and do their own thing.

11-Jun-18

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo

Grey Ghost's Link
"care to substantiate that? "

Here you go.

Matt

11-Jun-18
Of the above spending programs, some can be done at home for free.

Again, democrats wasting money...

11-Jun-18

DL's Link
And it doesn’t affect you like alcohol.

• Sitka Gear