Mike the Carpenter 13-Jun-18
jjs 13-Jun-18
keepemsharp 13-Jun-18
Joey Ward 13-Jun-18
bigswivle 13-Jun-18
13-Jun-18
For those of you who have owned one (or currently still do), what are the pros and cons?

Looking at one of these for my son as his first truck. It has a 5.7 liter (350) and 4l60e trans, Regular cab, short bed with 183,000.

Just wanting to know what I should be looking at before I actually decide to buy.

13-Jun-18
Antique tags.

13-Jun-18
I still run a 98 5.7, 260,000 and going strong.

13-Jun-18
I had a 98 Z71 with that engine that I sold with 100k on it in 2001. The guy who bought it from me still has it. It was solid and I never put a dime into it other than routine maintenance from what I can recall.

13-Jun-18
Outside of the obvious stuff you can see and feel when you test drive, you may want to ask a mechanic to put it on a lift and check the bottom side for trans and oils leaks. Like the rear main seal. Also big ticket items like ball joints, pitman arm, and front end suspension in general. Other than stuff like that, you should be able to notice anything else that may need attention. Except for maybe the fuel pump.

If things check out, should be a good ride for your boys first truck. Lots of things on 'em are relativley easy to work on or upgrade. If he decides to upgrade some things, LMC Truck parts has a great selection of OEM parts and accessories.

Good luck.

13-Jun-18
That 350 was a great motor. Still a bunch running today

13-Jun-18

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo