bigswivle 14-Jun-18
Grey Ghost 14-Jun-18
bigswivle 14-Jun-18
Grey Ghost 14-Jun-18
South Farm 18-Jun-18
13-Jun-18

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
Got this in the inbox a bit ago. Any takers??? Would have to get checked out on 3 snakes as a pre-req.

Calling all hunters: Everglades National Park wants you to kill its Burmese pythons

Jenny Staletovich, Miami Herald (TNS) Posted at 3:47 PM Updated at 3:47 PM

MIAMI — Faced with an unrelenting spread of invasive Burmese pythons that have mostly wiped out marsh rabbits, bobcats and other small mammals, Everglades National Park is doing something for the first time in its 70-year history: Opening park borders to paid hunters.

Superintendent Pedro Ramos announced plans to team up with state wildlife officers who last year began hiring hunters to kill the voracious snakes.

“We’ve been chasing this problem trying to find a solution and frankly we ran up against a wall over and over again,” he told the Miami Herald. “That history requires us to be open-minded and flexible.”

Adding the park to territory already being patrolled by Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and South Florida Water Management District hunters will open up the epicenter of the python invasion to hunters’ cross-hairs more than two decades after they first appeared.

But the move is not without controversy.

In 2015 when Ramos agreed to allow volunteer hunters into the park for the state’s popular Python Challenge, backlash from an environmental group prompted him to scale back participation to all but a few permitted trappers.

The National Park Service bans sport hunting in parks, but not managed removal of unwanted wildlife. Rock Creek Park, north of downtown Washington, has been holding a contentious hunt to cull deer since 2013 to save the park’s native plants. About 75 areas managed by the National Park Service covering more than 50 million acres allow hunting, which sometimes causes confusion over rules in parks.

The park has also allowed the Swamp Apes, a volunteer group of military vets, to trap snakes for about a decade.

But competition with paid programs for hunters appears to be driving down participation: In the last year just 70 or so snakes were caught inside the park compared to about 200 snakes during each of the previous two years, said chief biologist Tylan Dean.

After years of failed efforts — including snake-sniffing dogs and tagged Judas snakes — Ramos said it’s time for more aggressive tactics.

“This to us is clearly not hunting in a national park. This is a serious effort to bring people who want to help us with this problem get these things out of the park,” he said. “It is a program aimed at removing an exotic species that is having some very deep negative impacts on this landscape.”

It’s also an attempt to learn more about their habits, he said, and slow a spread that in 2016 reached the northern Florida Keys for the first time. The snakes are so difficult to detect, and marshes so impenetrable, that even determining their numbers remains difficult, said Kristin Sommers, the state’s exotic species coordinator.

“The low range would be tens of hundreds and the high range would be hundreds of thousands,” she said.

South Florida may never be free of the snakes, but managed hunts in recent years have shown promise. Last year, the wildlife commission and the University of Florida brought snake hunters from India for a month-long pilot project that bagged 14 pythons in two weeks, including a 16-foot female carrying dozens of eggs. The water management district’s paid hunt topped 1,000 last week.

Authorized hunters will be vetted by the Fish and Wildlife Commission and need to meet a handful of qualifications including proof that they’ve legally bagged at least three pythons. Hunters will also earn the same rate paid to district hunters: minimum wage plus $50 for every four-foot snake and $25 for each additional foot.

They will be given access to almost every corner of the park at all hours, but will not be allowed near visitors including the Coe Visitor Center and Anhinga Trail, while the park is open.

The park hopes to get hunters started as early as July and eventually have up to 120, which would triple the number of volunteers now trapping snakes.

“Using current technology to eliminate pythons is impossible, so we’ll try to eliminate as many as we can,” Ramos said. “Maybe some day we’ll find a way to really get the upper hand.”

13-Jun-18
Time to move to Florida for a new career. Would be interesting to bow fish for them. I would think the most effective way would be a shotgun with some 2 or 4 shot.

13-Jun-18
I never hunted them but I might be inclined to use a bow fishing setup so once ya hit them and they go under the water, ya know where they're at.

13-Jun-18
Tegu lizards are also a problem in Florida. They grow to about four feet long and are eating machines. They eat birds, small animals and eggs. They love alligator eggs and will dig up a gator nest. They lay and watch momma gator go to the water and then they move in and dig up the eggs.

14-Jun-18
I don't think having enough alligators is a Florida problem.

Terry

14-Jun-18
The Everglades is supposedly a better habitat than there native habitat, hence why they're thriving.

14-Jun-18
I've spent a week fishing in the Glades for the last 3 years in a row. Haven't seen a single python, yet.

If anything, they have a Bull shark problem. We couldn't keep those damn things off our lines last April.

Matt

14-Jun-18
Grey Ghost, gut those sharks when you catch them. Cut them in steaks and ice them down. No bones and you can grill the steaks with the skin on. When they come off the grill the skin will peel right off.

14-Jun-18
Shuteye,

Some of them were pushing 10 feet long! I wasn't getting my hands or limbs anywhere close to them.

Matt

14-Jun-18
The sharks have taken over the glades. Thanks guy Harvey

14-Jun-18
I agree, bigs.

Even if you happen to hook a different species of fish, the sharks will usually have them in a matter of seconds. Watching a bull shark absolutely destroy a tarpon is quite a sight to behold, but it gets old quickly.

Matt

14-Jun-18
It's everywhere GG. Bahamas are infested with sharks. Can't hardly get a big tuna to the boat anymore. The amount of tarpon that get eaten in Boca Grande pass is incredible

14-Jun-18
Bigs,

I hear you. A buddy of mine guides on Sanibel Island. He got sharked 15 times in one week while tarpon fishing. I was fortunate to go 4 for 8 on poons in my boat, and only got sharked once, but I saw several other boats that weren't as lucky. It sure makes taking the grip and grin tarpon picture interesting when you boat one.

Matt

18-Jun-18
Not no, but HELL NO! You people are crazy!!!!!!

• Sitka Gear