Ermine 17-Feb-11
jimbow 17-Feb-11
jimbow 17-Feb-11
Busta'Ribs 17-Feb-11
fulldraw 17-Feb-11
pjcdad 17-Feb-11
Ermine 18-Feb-11
27-Oct-10
I am debating between the Big Agnes insulated air core pad and the thermarest neoair.

I hear the BA is noisy.

Specs (for 20"x72"):

BAIAC: 2.5" thick, R=4.1, 24 oz

Neo Air: 2.5" thick, R= 2.5, 14 oz

Neo Air seems a little better, this is more for sept and not likely really cold, and I sleep warm too. However I am curious which one you find more comfortable and if the noice from the big agnes was enough to bother you (it was for a buddy to some extent).

Also can you "add" R values? In other words if I use 2 pads I can add the two "R" values right? I am pretty sure that is correct (I am also considering trying my thermarest Zrest under a prolite).

27-Oct-10
Other than the obvious weight differences I prefer the BA pad. I found the Neo Air to be much noisier than the BA pad.

27-Oct-10
I own both and agree the BA is probably quieter although noise isn't an issue with either.

My neo is the large and I suspect the reason I like it more is the 25inch width, and it's 19 oz.

27-Oct-10
I really liked my neoair. Comfortable and lightweight! I did not notice any noise with mine though - plus I am in the tent sleeping - not sure how much noise you need to worry about at that time.

27-Oct-10
I'm with Backpack Hunter, the NeoAir is extremely loud, it doesn't help that I popped a hole in it the first time out either.

I know of several people that have had issues with the BA pad as well, but I got lucky and have had 0 issues with mine for the last 3 seasons.

You won't go wrong either way, but go to an REI or some outdoor store and lay on each of them. That is what I would do anyway.

You may not need to worry about the noise when you are asleep, but if you roll around like me, all of your hunting partners.... OR wife, will be pissed off!

27-Oct-10
So what!? The Exped Synmatt is chopped liver, out of the running, treated like a stepchild- tsk tsk

27-Oct-10
I have both of them and really love the Neo. In my opinion, it's much firmer and way more comfortable than the Air Core. It's thicker and I can not "bottom out" the thing, even when resting up on an elbow.

It's more like a traditional firm mattress and doesn't have that "beach raft" feel of the Air Core, which I'm not crazy about. The baffles in the Neo run the width of the pad, rather than the length, so there are more of them, which I think is a better design for firmness and comfort.

The Neo also reflects your body heat and this is not just a gimmick, it actually works. As soon as it arrived I blew it up (which takes some time and will leave you a bit light headed if you go too fast) and jammed it into my Big Agnes bag and tried it out. I noticed the warmth right away, it was like one of those old red "Hot Seat" ass pillows I used to use when I was a kid.

It's a bit noisy, kind of a potato chip bag crinkly sound, I suspect from the reflective membrane, but that doesn't bother me at all. Best of all, it's quite a bit lighter so I have room for more gear in my pack.

27-Oct-10
I'm with Busta"Ribs on the NeoAir. I slept very comfortable on my recent dall sheep hunt in Alaska in October. What sold me is it's compact and light weight.

27-Oct-10
How does the neo air fit in the big agnes pad sleeve?

27-Oct-10
Not very well, not at all actually (the large anyway). This is second hand knowledge, but a friend of mine tried it and said it was a couple inches from fitting. The regular NeoAir will fit inside the Big Agnes bag, I know that for sure.

28-Oct-10
I have the regular Neo and it fits my BA Deep Creek perfect. The regular size is 20"x72", which is the same size as the BA Air Core (I think). The large Neo is too big though.

28-Oct-10
Thanks guys, exped matts are not out yet, the down filled one on Cabelas has caught my eye.

28-Oct-10
Thanks, I'd need the large so I won't bother trying that.

29-Oct-10
I've got a Neo Air and although it's noisy I don't notice it when I'm sleeping... Great pad for me and much warmer than I thought it would be.

29-Oct-10
I slept on a Neoair for 2 1/2 weeks last year on an Alaska dall sheep hunt and it was actually more comfortable than my bed at home (not saying much for my bed)! It is also ultra-light weight. You likely won't find a lighter, more comfortable pad. The noise didn't bother me at all but at the end of the day I was so tired it really didn't matter. I never got any holes in my Neoair but it is very thin so I would definitely be careful where you lay it. You may want to bring along some sort of patch kit on an extended trip. I never got cold on top of mine but the temperatures didn't dip much under 32.

29-Oct-10
Got a BA insulated core recently and it has been great so far. I picked mine up for 1/2 price off Sierra Trading Post. They are listed as BA Sand Mountain but from what i can tell are the exact same thing as the current BA Pads except they are Blue.

29-Oct-10
I am getting the exped next.

13-Feb-11
ttt

14-Feb-11
I own both and prefer the BA other than weight, also some of the baffle welds have busted in my Neo so it has a pillow which less than ideal both are quite an improvement over older designs BA seems a little more durable.

14-Feb-11
I love the neoair, comfy and light.

goods52, I think that is covered unde warrenty and you can get a new one!

14-Feb-11
I don't want to hijack this thread but I also noticed the Sand Mountain pad on Sierra Trading Post. Can anyone tell what, if any, differences there are between that and BAIAC.

17-Feb-11
I just gave the BA Insulated air core a field test last night and found it to be excellent. Would love to shave some weight by going to the Neo, but I'm concerned about the lower r-value. My BA bag is rated to 15 with no insulation in the underside, so my understanding is that it needs a pad with at least that rating.

Slept last night in high 30's temps with this combo and was warm enough, but not toasty.

17-Feb-11
Im trying to decide between the two. My buddy Aron convinced me to try something other than the Z lite that I have used for the past couple years. The BA or Neoair in combination with the z lite might be the most confortable thing ever.

I like the idea of the neo air being lighter but the BA seems a little more bombproof from what I gather.

17-Feb-11
Ermine- funny that you mentioned combining the BA with a z lite- I did that very thing on a recent Javelina hunt. The nighttime temp was in the low teens every night and I've never slept better on a camping trip. The Zlite took out the inflated mattress feel and evened everything out. It obviously wouldn't be ideal for an ultra light backpacking trip but I'll never use one without the other again if I'm driving to my camping spot or just doing an over night-er.

17-Feb-11
Ermine- funny that you mentioned combining the BA with a z lite- I did that very thing on a recent Javelina hunt. The nighttime temp was in the low teens every night and I've never slept better on a camping trip. The Zlite took out the inflated mattress feel and evened everything out. It obviously wouldn't be ideal for an ultra light backpacking trip but I'll never use one without the other again if I'm driving to my camping spot or just doing an over night-er.

17-Feb-11
I used my Neo on a NWT late September Caribou hunt as well as a late season Canmore AB sheep hunt last fall and can say that pad with my BA bag(s) worked very well.

The Caribou hunt had temps down into the teens and the Canmore hunt was crazy lows temps to minus 40. I used a 15 degree BA bag in Sept. and the same bag with another BA 40 degree overbag in Canmore.

Cant say enough about the BA combo with the Neo pad for warmth-weight-comfort.

17-Feb-11
Combo pad is nice. I have been doing that for years....if it's all about comfort you really need to look at the Xped Synmat or Xped downmat. These are really nice units.

17-Feb-11
Pjcdad, I don't know but I just ordered one on the info from DocT. As a first time sierra customer I was able to get another 20% off. I was almost going to buy a neoair but coulden't justify the cost. Thanks for the heads up...

17-Feb-11
I actually just calle Big Agnes myself to find out the differences. I can't remember all she said but they are different. Some things that are different is the insulation is not Primaloft, they have all welded seams and not the I beam construction. She said some will notice the differences and others won't. They are backed by Big Agnes's warranty just like the air core. I think for the price differene I am going to order one as well.

18-Feb-11
Well I went with the Big agnes insulated air core. Tad heavier than the neo air but seem tougher. My buddy aron has beat the hell out of his for 5 years and it is still going strong.

• Sitka Gear