Snag 09-Jun-09
12elk 23-Dec-09
Hoythews71 24-Dec-09
zipper 24-Dec-09
TK 25-Jun-10
Kaycee 27-Oct-10
Deeznutz 27-Oct-10
19-May-09
I just saw this on another site that Tred had a stroke and is paralized from the chest down. Please join me in wishing him a full recovery. Scotty.

19-May-09
I saw that as well. So sad. My thoughts and prayers are with him. Nobody should have to go through that.

19-May-09
Damn shame.

19-May-09
Awful news. I hope he recovers completely.

19-May-09
Prayers are with Tred and his family.

19-May-09
Hope he recovers OK. Prayers are with him.

19-May-09
Terrible news.

19-May-09
Any links?

19-May-09
http://www.sportfishingmag.com/news/news/rare-disorder-leaves-tred-barta-paralyzed-1000072054.html

19-May-09
I wish his family the best

19-May-09
Bless Tred

19-May-09
Wow, how odd something like that to happen. Very sad!

I hope he recovers fast!

19-May-09
On sportfishing forum:

"On his way to Alaska to tape his TV show, Tred Barta suffered a rare occurrence called a spinal stroke affecting his T2-T10 vertebrae. Since there are only 12 of these Thoracic bones, that’s a very large area. He is currently paralyzed from just below the chest down. Prognosis is way up in the air at the moment. Some medicos predict permanent paralysis while others have given him up to a 60-percent chance of at least partial recovery. His message to everyone is… Don’t take a single second of your life for granted."

19-May-09
That's terrible, hope for a speedy and full recovery

19-May-09
best wishes to tred and family. i don't get the show but have seen a few clips on threads and on the net. i like the guy. he's a rare breed these days and i will be pulling for him.

19-May-09
What a charater--hope he recovers fully

19-May-09
Damn Tred do you have to do everything the hard way! Do you have a trad wheel chair designed for your recovery period? grin Good luck and a speedy recovery.

19-May-09
I have seen Treds fishing shows, he always wanted the viewers to learn something. Praying he has a full recovery.

19-May-09
Prayers on the wing for Tred.

19-May-09
Damn, hang in there Tred...

19-May-09
I also send prayers for Tred.

Always such a shock and so sad to hear about something like that.

The only time I ever heard about Tred was Pat's interview with him and whatever anyone's opinion about Tred, there is no denying that he has a great love for the outdoors and bowhunting.

No matter our lifestyle, experience, or our geographic location, I feel we are all related.

Times like this makes us think.

19-May-09

Africanbowhunter's embedded Photo
Africanbowhunter's embedded Photo
Prayers for Tred. He has a strong will and this will aid his recovery

hope he was taking his BP Pills.

This may cut back his Tuna fishing.

prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

We only met once; he stopped and filmed at my Booth and he didn't know who I was.

get well soon!

19-May-09
Oh no. Sad day for him, his family, and the hunting world. Get well Tred!

19-May-09
Prayers sent....

19-May-09
Prayers are with you and your family Tred. You are a great ambasador to our sport. God Bless. May you recover quickly and completely. Your the only reason I watch the Vs. Channel.

19-May-09
Here is some background on Spinal Stroke:

Background Occlusive vascular lesions affecting the spinal cord (spinal stroke) are diagnostic challenges. As is the case for the more common cerebrovascular accident affecting cerebral circulation, an acute onset and a requirement to exclude hemorrhage are paramount concerns. The circulation to the spinal cord has unique features related to the elongated and multimeric anatomy of the cord that affect both mechanism and clinical presentation (see Images 1-3).

Pathophysiology The anterior spinal artery is a single long anastomotic channel that lies at the mouth of the anterior central sulcus and supplies the circulation to the anterior two thirds of the spinal cord (see Image 3). It gives origin to sulcal arteries that take an arching course to one or the other anterior gray horns. The posterior spinal arteries are smaller paired arteries lying just medial to the dorsal roots. The arterial supply of the spinal cord arises from the aorta and at its cephalad and caudal ends from tributaries of the subclavian and iliac arteries. Eight to ten unpaired anterior medullary arteries are branches of the larger afferent aorta and vertebral and iliac arteries. The largest anterior medullary artery, the great anterior medullary artery of Adamkiewicz, which is susceptible to occlusion with neurologic deficit, is located at the lumbar enlargement, usually at L2 on the left side (but may be at any point from T8 to L2).

Frequency United States Spinal cord infarction is not common, but only fragmentary or indirect data are available on incidence or prevalence. A large study showed that only 9 of 3784 autopsies revealed spinal cord infarction, with a rate of occurrence of 0.23% at death. Conversely, if spinal stroke is approximately 1.2% of strokes, an overall annual incidence of 12 in 100,000 can be estimated.

International International incidence is similar to that in the United States. Recent reports that describe patients developing spinal cord infarction in an increasing number of situations and pathologies would influence this because procedures ranging from major surgery to injections for epidural anesthesia, infections and especially meningitis, and medications (eg, zolmitriptan for migraine) vary in different countries.

Mortality/Morbidity The risk to life and its quality from spinal cord infarction is substantial because of the disability, which can be severe, with paraplegia, risk of pulmonary emboli, and risk of infection (eg, bladder, lungs, decubiti). However, no epidemiologic studies are available because of the relatively small number of patients affected.

Published series of reports of spinal cord infarction are relatively small ranging up to 36-44 patients. They find a mortality in the vicinity of 20-25% of patients admitted to hospital with spinal cord infarction (Cheshire, 1996; de la Barrera, 2001).

19-May-09
That clears things up!

Best of luck Tred.

19-May-09
hope he recovers will miss seeing his shows

19-May-09
Best to Tred and his family. Prayers sent...

19-May-09
My prayers go out to him and his family!!! I hope he has a speedy recovery!!

19-May-09
Prayers are with you Tred. May your strength and spirit serve you well to a full recovery. God Bless.

19-May-09
we are whit you tred

19-May-09
You hard-headed rascal, get well, we and our prayers are with you.

19-May-09
Best wishes to Tred his family and all who pursure there dreams.

19-May-09
My prayers are with you Tred and I wish you a speedy recovery

19-May-09
Prayers are with you and your family Tred. IF anyone can recover from this it's you for sure.

20-May-09
I wouldn't wish that on anyone...

20-May-09
we are with you Tred.

Matteo

20-May-09
Wow, It is very sad to hear. He lives his life with so much adventure, I'm sure he will make the best out of this situation until he recovers. You can't keep someone like him down for long. My prayers are are with him and his family.

20-May-09
My prayers, brother. I loved your show! If for nothing else, your sheer intensity!!!!!

Thank you Tred!

Don.

20-May-09
Tred- you're the man! I hope you have a speedy recovery and get back to doing it the Barta way !!

20-May-09
That is sad news. I hope he makes a full recovery. My prayers go out to him. Jay

20-May-09
My prayers to you and your family.

20-May-09
Tred I hope you have a speedy recovery give it a 110% I know you will! My prayers are with you and your family.

20-May-09
God Bless and hopefully a speedy full recovery. He is different in terms of his shows, but that is what I liked about them.

20-May-09
My hopes and prayers gO out to Mr. BARTA.

20-May-09
My prayers to you and your family.

20-May-09
Keep the faith Tred!

Good luck, Robb

20-May-09
i know the edit feature does not allow one to go back and edit a thread title, but it would be nice if the moderators would correct the spelling of tred's last name in the title to this thread.

20-May-09
Prayers from our family in WI..

20-May-09
Get WEll Tred! Prayers and thoughts of 100% recovery sent!

20-May-09
I like him, too, Pat. Met him up on a mountain elk hunting. I'd like nothing better than to learn of a full recovery soon.

20-May-09
Tred, God bless, I am praying for your full recovery.

20-May-09
Terrible to hear this about anyone. He is quite young too, which is even scarier.

Any news on his condition?

20-May-09
Prayers go out to Tred and his family in this time of need. Good luck and get back out in the woods soon.

20-May-09
Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. His desire and love for the outdoors speaks volumns about the man and we all can relate to that. Glad Pat did an interview with him a few months ago.

20-May-09
Sad news good luck and god speed. It will be a tough voyage.

20-May-09
Tred,

I pray that you'll have a speedy recovery. If anyone can handle this, it's you. Be strong and I hope to see you hunting and fishing soon.

20-May-09
Prayers for a full and speedy recovery from Montana. Good Luck Tred.

Hyde

20-May-09
Still praying for you Tred. You have friends out here pulling for you!!!

20-May-09
I wish you good luck Tred. You can do it. Never give up.

20-May-09
Sorry to hear it. We need more people like Tred.

20-May-09
My prayers go out to Tred and his family for a full and speedy recovery

John

20-May-09
I spelled paralyzed wrong too! Spellchecker challanged. scotty.

20-May-09
God speed with your recovery Tred.

20-May-09
Hoping the best for you Tred, Denny

20-May-09
I just cut and pasted (see below)the latest news on Tred's condition from Sportfishing Magazine: Update: 'Encouraging signs' in Tred Barta's condition Wed, May 20, 2009 An update on Tred Barta's condition (May 20) from Dean Travis Clarke:

"Just got off phone with Tred Barta and wife Anni. He had packed to travel to Alaska for a bear hunt for his TV show. Put his bag in his truck, Returned to house and then on way back to truck felt loss of feeling in his left leg. Decided to walk up mountainside behind house to make sure he could handle the rigors of hunting in Alaska before getting on plane. Condition worsened, so he immediately went to doctor. Doctor ordered ambulance to take him to hospital where MRI, CT scan, etc determined he'd suffered a spinal "Stroke." Quite rare – afflicting approximately 12 of 100,000 people in the U.S. each year.

Within four hours, he had completely lost feeling in both legs up to a point halfway between his chest and navel.

Tred and Anni seem to be taking turns being supportive and dejected. Fortunately, they seem to balance each other that way. He will soon be transferred to Craig Rehab Center in Denver. Craig is a non-profit freestanding hospital that has been rated every year in the Top Ten Rehabilitation Hospitals by US News and World Report since the ratings began eighteen years ago. www.craighospital.org .

Though last night was tough, today finds some encouraging signs. He has been able to respond to stimulus causing his toes to curl. The paralysis has lowered to about navel level. He seems to have regained some slight sensation in his right leg. Results of blood and spinal fluid tests also seem encouraging.

I will continue to keep in touch with him and will pass along news as warranted so as to not have EVERYONE contacting him all the time. He seems remarkably positive and upbeat this morning. Keep them in your thoughts and please live YOUR life as though this could happen to you tomorrow!"

Dean Travis Clarke Executive Editor

20-May-09
Prayers sent. Hang in there Tred. The canyons will be waiting for you and your boat and the tuna will be wondering where the hell you've been! Get well soon, brother.

20-May-09
Thanks for the update Bou! Glad to hear there is some good news.

20-May-09
that great news

Tink

21-May-09
get well soon tred our prayers are with you

21-May-09
Hey Guys, I just got back from the hospital with Tred. It is all too true what you hear. Yes he will be moving to the Rehab center sometime soon, as soon as there is an opening. With all of your support I know he will take back what God will give him. He is in really good spirits considering, and has a mindset that will get him through this.

Keep up the prayers!!!

Thanks to all on the Bowsite for your support.

Dan Harrison

21-May-09
Prayers sent and wishing all the best for Tred and Mrs. Barta...

21-May-09
Tred - this is the hard way, the barta way.... A real test in life. Whshing the best for a full and quick recovery.....

>>>>>-------------->

21-May-09
Hang in there Tred. I'm praying for a full and speedy recovery. Jay

21-May-09
GET BETTER Tred!

21-May-09
Sorry to hear it. Good luck Tred in having a full recovery, God bless.

21-May-09
I've always enjoyed Tred Barta... and I hope his recovery is full, his enthusiasm undiminished, and his ability to spark debate regained.

God Bless the man and his wife and family.

Much Aloha...

21-May-09
Good luck Tred!!

Fire

21-May-09
Prayers for a full recovery and a speedy one at that !!

21-May-09
Tred, if you get to read this, you can see you have alot of friends praying for your recovery. I know you will find a way to make the best of it. Recover Soon and God Bless.

21-May-09
Tred, Still praying for you. Keep the faith and don't lose hope!

21-May-09
Prayers Sent Tred. Get well soon!

Scott

21-May-09
Those are some encouraging signs today. Thoughts are with you Tred.

21-May-09

Medicine Bow's embedded Photo
Medicine Bow's embedded Photo
Tred,

You inspired these kids to never, ever give up. May they inspire you now!! Thanks for all you've done for the kids.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

21-May-09
Prayers sent for a complete and quick recovery. Hang in there!!

22-May-09
Get well soon!!! Good luck.

22-May-09
That is my son on your right and we are both praying for you. we live real close to you, let us know if you need any thing. Forest and Christain Keith

23-May-09
Well here's an update on Tred. Last night after consulting with other top Doctors they took some pics of his arteries that they believe went astray. The pics did not show anything that they could repair to ease some of his conditions. He still is staying strong and is striving for full recovery.

I'll try to keep everybody updated!

Thanks Dan

23-May-09
Dan, thanks, we will keep praying for his full recovery.

23-May-09

There is only one way!! That's the Barta way. If anyone can beat this Tred can. We will keep praying for you.Earl

23-May-09
Goodness....I have been out of town and not on the Bowsite. This is terrible. My family will continue to be in prayer for Tred.

24-May-09
God Bless Tred, Keep praying!!!

27-May-09
prayers sent

27-May-09
Prayers sent from Monarch's prayer warriors! Fight hard Tred!

27-May-09
We're praying for Tred and the Barta family.

28-May-09
Hang tough Tred! Many prayers sent daily.

28-May-09
Prayers sent

28-May-09
OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO TO TRED AND THIS FAMILY

29-May-09
prayers from southern delaware. just listened to first part of tred interveiw hope for full recovery

29-May-09
Best of luck to you and your family Tred. Ill be praying for a quick recovery.

29-May-09
Hi Tred,

Always been a fan back from your "Off Shore Fishing" days. You schooled me well, and made me a my boat my way kind of guy, much to my sucess. Thanks for your guidance,live bait is the way to go!

My family and I wish you and Annie all the best and a most speedy and full recovery.

Best Regards,

Gary D. Eaton Point Judith, RI

30-May-09
Press on, Tred. Can-do ... make-do ... attack! You're spirit is inspirational. My prayers.

Harley

30-May-09
God bless you tred, and know you will get through this. I wish you a speedy recovery, and many many more years to enjoy the wonders of the woods,and waters god has created. Get well my friend! John.

30-May-09
Be gone chasing turkeys horrible news God bless and hope for a speedy recovery

30-May-09
Tred, I have watched every one of your shows- you're THE MAN and our hero. Best wishes, Ken

30-May-09
Could the Mods correct the spelling of his name please? to BARTA thanks

Tink

31-May-09
Would someone at the bowsite correct the spelling of tred's name in this threads title please. It would be a nice gesture

31-May-09
Would someone at the bowsite correct the spelling of tred's name in this threads title please. It would be a nice gesture

31-May-09
My thoughts and prayers go out to tred and i think he will be back in action before long.

31-May-09
Hey Brother!!! I just finished listening to your interview and to say I am somber and humbled would be a huge understatement! My dad went through the exact same medical issue many years ago and it left him totally quadriplegic. You are the only other person I have ever known (as a brother archer I feel I know you)that has had this happen.

Hearing your story brought back many tough memories but more importantly it has renewed what many of us already knew but had become complacent concerning that knowledge. Thanks for being courageous enough to take time to continue to teach us even as you face what lies ahead for you. I thank God in advance for what He will do in your life and what He has allowed you to do in ours. Love you bro and will continue to pray for you and your family!! Natural Dad

01-Jun-09
Stay strong and push through the hard days knowing good ones follow.

02-Jun-09
Tred, My thoughts and prayers are with you from southeast Pennsylvania. Good luck and keep fighting.

02-Jun-09
Tred just listened to your interview and have to say you are one tough hombre! I look forward to your next show. Scotty. Oh yeah sorry about the miss spelling of your name on the original post. I hunt better than spell!

03-Jun-09
my prayers and condolences to Tred and his family. Godspeed, Tred.

04-Jun-09
Tred may the Lord be with you and your family every step of the way on your road to recovery. I always enjoyed your passion for the outdoors as portrayed on your show. Your interview on this site is a must hear for all! Thanks for your courage on sharing your thoughts and inner feelings. Your willingness to share your challenges will make a difference in many lives. God Bless.

04-Jun-09
God Bless You TED!!

05-Jun-09
Man,

I just listened to his interview with Pat. No matter what you thought of him before this you need to listen to this. I think old Tred is a far better man then I am.

He has truly found what is important in life and I am sure no matter what happens he will make the best of it!

michael

05-Jun-09
Until about 3 weeks ago, I had never heard of Tred. Never saw any of his shows. Must say that based on the interview, I'm impressed. Has given me something to chew on while going through some crap of my own...but put what I am going through in a whole new perspective.

One thing I know is that stuff like he is going through.....a positive outlook like he has will go a long way towards the outcome we all are hoping for!

05-Jun-09
WOW!!!, If you have not listened to the whole interview, do it now! First of all, thank you Tred for laying out your stuff. After listening to that, you can not be moved into a different state of mind. Your power and core belief has moved me beyond words. I will never ever take life for granted and what I have for granted again. Thank you for putting me in check. Your courage and truth has changed my thinking about life and I thank you for that. I will never sit down for a breakfast with my wife or kids the same after hearing your message. I got home tonight after having some very tough times lately with me 3 and 5 year old and set up my tent (in the house because it was raining) and enjoyed them like nothing other before. My 5 year old put on some of my camo and I could not not think of you and your coare values. I don't know you, I have never met you, but YOU have change my life in the 20 minutes it took you to do that interview. I am sorry for what happened to you and I hope you all the best, but be assured, your words have changed the way I look at life. I might lose my job, have a hard time with my kids, don't apprieciate (sp?) my wife and kids as much as I should, but that will change from here on out thanks to you. God bless and my prayes are with you. THANK YOU!!!

05-Jun-09
Many prayers from Wisconsin Tred. You have many fans and friends to lean on here. May your recovery be speedy. It won't be long and you will be flinging arrows and casting flys once again. God bless.

06-Jun-09

ben's embedded Photo
ben's embedded Photo
For you, Tred!

06-Jun-09
Barta you the MAN. Prayers always.

06-Jun-09
You're in our thoughts and prayers. Your courage is amazing.

06-Jun-09
May all the angels in heaven shine their love and hearts upon you and your family.

06-Jun-09
Stay strong, stay after it. Your strength and attitude will have as much to do with your recovery as the Doctors. Best Wishes

06-Jun-09
Best wishes to Tred and his family.

06-Jun-09
Best wishes to Tred, Hunter and the rest of his family and friends.

06-Jun-09
God bless you and your family, that interview was awsome!

06-Jun-09
Still praying for you Tred. Lord, I ask you to watch over our friend Tred in this difficult time, and ask you may heal him of his affliction, in Jesus name Amen.

06-Jun-09
Tred My hunting buddies and I watch your show all the time and enjoy your hunts and fishing. Your personality says you will beat this. My prayers are with you and your family. Rodger Bruce

06-Jun-09
Tred, I've enjoyed your hunting adventures and wish you a speedy recovery. Best Wishes

07-Jun-09
Tred, You are in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless you and your family.

07-Jun-09
Guess I lose. The "what is you job thread" out weighed an ICON losing his legs. Today was a bad day.

09-Jun-09
Get well soon Tred, I want to see you hunt til you cant pull your bow back anymore. Camo

09-Jun-09
Hi Tred, God's blessings brother! I see a warrior's heart in you. You have such a great attitude when things get tough. I pray He will give you and Anni the strength and comfort as you move into this journey. You have a lot of folks praying for you Tred. He hears our prayers...every one of them. I hope this is of comfort to you and Anni. In rehab show them how's it's done!

09-Jun-09
...sorry for the double vision.....

23-Dec-09
If anyone can come back from this setback, it is you Tred. It makes my own problems seem miniscule. Hang in there.

24-Dec-09
Huge voice for our sport. I watched his shows newest episode the other day, and he was still shooting his bow. Hope he keeps promoting for us even through his incredibly difficult time.

Best of wishes to Tred and his family!

24-Dec-09
I saw that show with Tred in the hospital. Great to see him shooting a bow in the hospital!! Hang in Tred we are all praying and pulling for you!

25-Jun-10
Tred you were an inspiration to me before your accident,now even more now.Get weel Tk

27-Oct-10
Tred, This spring and summer I had 6 months of chemo. Not pleasant but necessary. In Aug I got a clean bill of health. I,like you still have times that I cry for no reason. Yea think depression?? You are so very right in that if it wasn't for my God, close friends and a great wife I probaly would have said I've had enough and checked out. I know that giving up is not in your mind. Keep going and keep that wife close to you and all of your friends also. God bless and my prayers are with you. Bob

27-Oct-10

Deeznutz's embedded Photo
Deeznutz's embedded Photo
Looks to me like Tred isn't really being shut down by it! Man on a mission it appears.

• Sitka Gear