Coastie John 15-Dec-09
Boris 15-Dec-09
fenceman 16-Dec-09
Kirkus 17-Dec-09
stykbow 17-Dec-09
JacksMt 18-Dec-09
SERBIANSHARK 19-Dec-09
06-Dec-09
I took Continental to Canada (no unfair rules towards hunters). Then we boarded a Air Canada flight some in the party had rifles WOW $100.00 extra each connection! I asked the ticket agent why, was told because of the extra security measures, even though we just came out of customs and were still in a secure area! More insult on the return flight horns and hide were also $100.00 more plus an extra baggage charge! Reason; because they could I was told by a tree hugging agent. Will NEVER fly A/C again even if I have to charter a flight!

06-Dec-09
A good article with lots of good tips.

I will say that if you can just plan for the extra fees it makes it a lot less painful. Most hunts the extra fees are minimal compared to the cost of the hunt (less than 10%).

I ship all my meat back and make sure I weight them first. I have been fortunate never to have a problem.

I usually fly Delta.

06-Dec-09
Always check with the airline about extra fees. Driving is the best way especially if you have a buddy and time. When flying I ship my bow UPS in a double bow case with all my gear(knives) and clothes ahead of time. Be sure to wrap the case in cardboard to avoid additional handling fee. This also protects it some. Last year I shipped a frozen javelina head back 2nd day air in a cheap styrofoam cooler in a box wrapped in plenty of newspaper and it was in great shape when my taaxidermist received it.

06-Dec-09
I hate to be that guy, but learn the system and use it to your advantage. I carry on most of the meat that I get while travelling - boned out antelope, deer, and boar. It is a bit lame to try and put a 70# carry-on in the overhead bin but IMO it is better than the alternatives. I pack the meat in such a way as it absolutely will not bleed. Keep in mind, the airlines will only enforce their policies if they are tipped off as to what you are carrying, and the TSA will enforce their rules but not the airlines. Meat (and cheese) look like bomb material, so be prepared to be pulled aside by TSA. Once those folks understood what I was carrying, I have never been given so much as a second look - "have a nice day sir".

Southwest Airlines is the best for hunters IMO - generally cool people and 3 free bags.

As far as antlers, there are too many horror stories to cause me not to bring them home in my checked baggage - record book be damned.

Not looking like a hunter is a good idea as well. Pat's article mentions packing bows in hard-sided golf cases and mentions roller duffels in the last sentance. Parallel limb bows don't fit golf cases as well as older styles, so keep the roller duffel in mind.

Always, always, always print out and carry a copy of the airline's policies (available online on the Airlines' web site). I have found that for uncommon items such as archery gear, many airline Ee's don't know the policies and may make incorrect decisions. Having a copy of the policy to which you can direct them may help.

06-Dec-09
Never fly air canada if you don't have to. West Jet is awesome. Have never even been charged for Caribou antlers.

06-Dec-09
After a recent Elk hunt to New Mexico, I am done flying to hunts as well. I planned on driving back in a rental car when I shot my elk. The hunt went as planned, I killed an elk. Called Hertz to tell them I plan on taking their rental car back to ND and they told me no problem...The drop off fee in ND is $1100!!!! BUT the miles were included at NO CHARGE :). I ended up giving them back their car and renting a Toyota Prius from Alamo for $400. The elk rack filled the back end of the Prius. But I made it home from New Mexico to ND on less than $100 gas!

Rewind to my Utah Cat hunt last March. After an unsuccessful cat hunt I headed to the airport with a matched set of 360 inch Elk sheds my guide and I found while chasing cats. The tines were individually wrapped with foam and the two sides were twined together. Ticket agent told me then that antlers were no longer acceptable with United. I had to Fed Ex them home for $350.

So you see, I am done flying to my hunts. From now on I leave a couple days early and drive.

06-Dec-09
i simply won't do it ever. unless i go to alaska, then i will save up enough to fedex the stuff there and back.

07-Dec-09
I drove last year to NB Canada bear hunt and will do so again next year. Yeah, it took a day and a half each way, but heck, I put on the tunes and had a relaxing trip both ways, saw some nice scenery and took every possible bit of gear I wanted to take. I also brought back an extra bear that some other hunter didn't want (bear is a family favourite in my house). regards from Canada.

07-Dec-09
Like many of hunters here, I like to travel to some new places. Great advice and tips. Ditto on not looking like a hunter. Big red flag on that one. In this day and age, why draw attention to yourself and invite trouble. I will second the advice of "don't ask, don't tell". And, I'm driving more as well as looking at hunting more in the States. Best of luck to one and all.

07-Dec-09
I disagree with the don't look like a hunter! I am a hunter and am DAMN proud to be so! I try to represent myself as such a nice guy that it changes their opinions of hunters for the best and for those who wish to become confrontational well that really makes my day! Hiding is not the ansewer be proud, be polite and be the guy the airline personal will remember!

07-Dec-09
Like Matt I maximise my carry-on allowance. Most antlered deer (including my son and my mulie racks) came home in my hands as carry on from Alberta. This year I drove to Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado from Rhode Island and to the midwest twice. This is a bit easier when retired! Charlie

07-Dec-09
As usual, Pat has nailed it! Now if we could just get him to find an Elk that would have a heart attack when he shoots at it then life would be complete.

Back in September my daughter killed a nice Antelope in Wyoming and when I brought my cooler to the ticket counter and was turned away I was not happy, I called my friend to come back to the airport and he took the head back to Missouri (his home) and shipped them to me. I learned a valuable lesson, so I will plan hunts to end on a weekday so I can ship the trophys back myself whenever possible.

If I might add anything to what Pat said it would be to make arrangements to end hunts on weekdays or stay until Monday to be able to ship things back. Mike

07-Dec-09
When things do go wrong, and they do to hunters and non-hunters, BE POLITE, it helps.

My last elk trip, my wife and I went together, NH to Spokane WA (ID hunt) by way of Minneapolis/St. Paul. We missed our connection due to lightning at in MN, had to divert to another air field to refuel, long story short, ended up taking a bus from the smaller air field to St. Paul and mised the last flight out.

Anyway, in the mad rush to customer service, we waited in line and watched pissed off person after person yell, scream, demand managers etc. And get nothing except free coupons for other flights. Before we went up we decided to do the unexpected: smile, laugh, explain, ask nicely. The starting story was "best we can do is get you on the next open seat, leaving tomorrow at 5 PM" We smiled, explained we were on a vacation trip of a lifetime to a remote desitnation, not Spokan and if we didn't get in by early after noon at the latest, we'd totally loose the first day of a 7 day vacation. Is there any way to get on an earlier flight? We smiled, were quiet etc. Suddenly we were on the flight that left at 8:00 in the morning, had dinner coupons and told where to be when to get a matteress for the night. When I thanked him and asked how we got onto a full flight, he smiled and said "don't ask, just make sure you checkin early"

Next morning we checked in early (actually slept at the gate) just before boarding they announced they were overbooked by two people and looking for volunteers to go on a later flight :-)

We made it to the outfitter and had a good hunt@!

07-Dec-09
Per Tip #2 - Avoiding certain carriers -- "I would add that this also applies to my ‘non-hunting’ personal and business travel"

This statement is HUGE.

Airlines (all of them) got hit with the perfect storm. 9/11 and TSA cost them billions. The security rules in place have much more to do with making people 'feel' safe than in actually making air travel safer. There is a segment of the flying public that does not want to fly unless they think everyone is strip searched and all possible hazardous materials are off a plane.

The fuel cost fiasco of last year hit most of them very hard. Airlines buy contracts for fuel months in advance and then fill in on the spot market. Fuel speculators drove the cost of fuel past the tipping point for them.

The reduction in business travel is hitting them hard. Most companies have drastically cut travel budgets. Airline's bread and butter is business travel. Recreational and personal travel is only icing on the cake.

Union contracts are strangling the airlines as well. Many contracts call for automatic raises in salary and benefits. All drastically reduce the ability of any airline to adapt quickly to market changes. As such their labor costs are now higher as a percentage than they were just a few years ago. Higher cost with less revenue = not good.

I state these 'issues' to bring up this next point.

All airlines run 'yield management' system. These are very sophisticated computer programs designed to maximize profit. These are the programs that allow a seat to sell one day for $200 the next it is $450 and then the next $175. They track business use, personal use, car rental options, baggage use, etc.

Airline policy is set by yield management. They have the mindset that they will nickle and dime the passengers to the point that the passengers won't take anymore. That is why you keep seeing the add-ons. People are still flying.

Until a policy hurts the bottom line as shown by these systems the policy will not change.

~Troy

07-Dec-09
a fairly simply thing to do if flying home from a hunt is plan an extra day on the back end, preferably a week day. spend the time in-town at the local WalMart and UPS store or Post Office and ship things home.

It can cost a bit more but the peace of mind of hassle free is worth it.

I did this recently on an antelope hunt in Wyo. I spent an extra day in Casper, got the meat, head and cape packed up, and shipped 2nd day. No issues. Was it the least expensive option? Probably not, but as mentioned the peace of mind was worth it to me.

i'm sure i wasn't the only hunter that had this plan. when i went to WalMart, there was slim pickens for styrofoam coolers. i wound up buying some of the plastic storage bins for $4 each, that fit nicely in a cardboard box.

i agree, driving to/from is the best option.

07-Dec-09
basically just fly southwest. I just got home from an Ohio whitetail hunt and brought back a cooler full of whitetail without any problems. I have done this for four years with no issues plus the extra bag is only $25.00 but i always ship my bow and camo there and back so i usually have no extra costs.

again...fly southwest.

07-Dec-09
No 8 is the great equalizer, IMO. I ship gear whenever possible. It helps ameliorate hazards encountered with other issues such as changing carriers en route.

I used No. 15 picking up a squirrel dog from Alabama a few years ago. Flew down and drove a rental back. One of the best traveling experiences I've had. The bigger the critter, the more that will be a reality for me.

I have to give kudos to SW airlines, Air Canada and to NW airlines. Thus far, they have been fair to wonderful for my crew. Northwest is pretty anal about their fees but they are professional and have let a few weights slide well above the limit. We had an Air Canada ticket agent waive all excess baggage fees BECAUSE we were bear hunters. I could have kissed that lady because we got hammered by Northwest on the same trip.

One final kudos to Pat. This is the kind of feature content that makes Bowsite the premiere archery site. IMO, much more relevant to the logistical concerns of the average hunter than the umpteenth broadhead test. Very good stuff.

07-Dec-09
Good subject. Don't get me started on airlines. Pat hit it right on when he said that no other business treats people so poorly and yet remains open. I like to plan a day extra on each end when possible. Toooo many times flights are just canceled for whatever reason. I think i have heard them all... maintenance, no crew, no pilots, food catering truck ran into plane, doors fall off, etc. United is the worst by far. I remember a Sunday when they cancelled a flight home. Luckily I made it to Denver and had to complete my trip home in Omaha. They wanted to just put me up in a hotel and fly me back the next afternoon but I had a full schedule of patients booked for Monday. Rented a car and drove the 8 hours all night to be back home for monday. Luckily a buddy was with me and drove most of the way. They wouldn't reimburse for the rental and refunded a small portion of the scheduled flight that was cancelled. Waited for 3 hours for our bags(mine never came) and then we had to start driving to get back in time. If a person can and you know you are over weight, put the tip of your boot under the scale and lift up to mess up the reading. Has worked for me. Hard for me to be honest with the airlines when they have treated me so poorly.

07-Dec-09
Every year I fly Jetblue down to Florida for a hog hunt. So far I have had no issues with checking in coolers with meat. I use a lightweight rolling duffle I got from LL Bean ( cabelas was to heavy at close to 20lbs empty )and pack all my heavy stuff in my carryon. I always take a direct flight.

07-Dec-09
Pat we should,or YOU! should contact APOS in alberta from what i understand they carry alittle weight and they might get with canadian tourism and i bet the canadians could get that ban lifted so much of there revenue depends on hunters from around the globe.

07-Dec-09
I've got one item to think about. When coming back from MHH12 last year, before we checked in at the Nashville airport, we weighed our meat bags at an un-used ticket counter to make sure they were ok. When we checked in, the weight differed by 6 lbs. Fortunetly on the lighter side. We told the agent about the difference of the scales and she just acted sheepishly and checked us in. If you get nailed for overweight, it may pay to get a 2nd opinion on another scale. This was on American Airlines.

07-Dec-09
Yeah I ended up with some of Clancy's after weigh in. Not that I'm complaining he did have my extra cooler:>

07-Dec-09
I have flown quite a bit with weapons, and for the most part have been very fortunate, of course now that I say that, I'm going to have an issue. Been 5 times to Africa, once to NZ & New Caledonia, and spain & Scotland, plus a couple AK & CAN trips. You have to be able to have the mentality to go somewhat with the flow, and book your travel accordingly. Show up plenty early, and give yourself (and your bags) plenty of time to make transfers. On international flights, I like to work it so I see my bags mid-leg. I.e. if flying thru europe, do a long layover, go ahead and clear customs and recheck, at least that way you know your weapon made it to the mid-point. it's a PITA, but worth it.

One of the biggest sources of issues is TIME - if you don't give yourself enough time, you will be agitated, the likelyhood of issues is greater, and your ability to get them resolved greatly reduced.

I'm fortunate in the fact that my main airport (Denver) is fairly knowlegable about handling weapons, though the drill can vary from trip to trip. I have had no issues with Frontier, but United usually is a hassel. If flying direct, I haven't had much problem.

I definately follow a couple of Pat's rules - Never fly United, and don't fly with meat. . . cost us $500 at the airport for extra weight on the last caribou hunt, and almost cost us missing our flights.

BTW, if going to Canada, don't pack fishing lures (including flies) in your carry-on. US TSA usually doesn't raise an issue with them, but I've had to dump a couple hundred dollars worth of flies in canada before. I guess a size 16 Elkhair Caddis is considered a deadly weapon to the Kanuks.

07-Dec-09

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I drive to all my hunts. I like having all my stuff when I get there. Except Africa they supply you with everything. And all your heads are shiped to you. Its nice to be able to just pull over anywere and crawl into your camper and take a nap or get somthing to eat.

07-Dec-09
I like Matt's style - carry-on your carrion!

;0)

07-Dec-09
In my early years competing or refereeing armwrestling competitions, I used to have to fly a lot across Canada and the U.S. Even though it was supposed to be better back then, I remember spending long hours, sometimes nights, sitting and sleeping at airports because of late or cancelled flights, or missing connecting flights and losing baggage, etc. etc. Also since I'm a bush guy from the north, being lost, late, or not knowing what was going on in some of the bigger airports like Chicago was a nightmare for me.

I drive everywhere I go now to hunt or guide (except the final hop into caribou camp by bush plane). It's a lot easier to just follow the highway and with my 2500 HD GMC diesel I am never limited on weight or space.

Having my own vehicle, I decide what I feel like doing whenever I feel like doing it. I am on my own schedule and not at anyones mercy. It is also like having your home with you.

I have crossed Canada so many times that I have lost count and have also visited several states. As far as I am concerned there is no place in North America that is too far.

07-Dec-09
It sounds like there are some Antihunters at United Airlines. People like that have no clue what us hunters are doing. We aren't just out there "head hunting", we are helping to manage the herds as well. Maybe Team Realtree, Team Primos, and all those other teams need to create their own Airlines to fly hunters to and from their hunting destinations.

07-Dec-09
My take on it is just like this site, it is ours to use but we have to follow your rules. Airlines are having a lot of problems now. They have to compete with low fares and are trying to cut corners any way they can.

Like Bigdan, if I want a trouble free trip I simply drive leaving enough space to bring back everything I want to bring back. Me and my brother-in-law got into this discussion when we hunted Moose in NFLD. I drove up from Kansas pulling a trailer with a larger cooler and he flew up. We had a beautiful trip on the drive up and back and he had nothing but problems.

If the cost is not the problem, I would simply suggest that you need to box it properly and ship it to your home UPS. If it is meat, you just about have to process it and freeze it and ship it next day air.

07-Dec-09
I fly every year when I go on my KS trip. I use United and I can only complain about the baggage fees. I don't like paying for baggage. It cost me $50 each way extra this year. I have yet to have any experiences of being treated differently since I have always wore a camo hat, and carried a camo backpack as my carry on. When I'm connecting flites I see ALOT of guys in camo at airports and you can tell they are hunters. I don't know, maybe I have been lucky. I hope I don't have any experiences like the others.

07-Dec-09
A little trick I use when I have to fly to protect my bowcase and whats in it, is to put a couple orchestra decals on the bowcase especially ones that show a keyboard. The greenies go out of their way to protect musical instruments. Ron

07-Dec-09
Rather than not fly at all as a protest, why not fly only the airlines that are hunter friendly?

Understand the posters stating that driving is easier for them but if flying is more convenient, vote with your wallet.

I think the original article could be enhanced with the results of a questionaire along the lines of "which airlines do you find most hunter-friendly?" or even a review of different policies of each airline to rank them.

FWIW, it would be interesting to compare the results of such an analysis to where that airline is based. SW and Continental are based out of Texas. United is based out of Chicago. I'm not sure if AA claims to be out of Chicago or Dallas now, but they have a strong influence from Chicago.

07-Dec-09
Pat - Great feature!

For those who've not been scorned by the airlines pay close attention to what Pat has offered as options. For those of us who have, we certainly can share horror stories.

I personally, absolutely, without a doubt hate United Airlines. I haven't flown with them since my Alberta debacle, and never will again.

Bigdan - Nice rig!

07-Dec-09
My biggest limiting factor in any out-of-state hunt is time away from work. Each day beyond my whopping total of three personal days from work (school teacher), costs me a couple hundred or more to be gone. Thus flying can save me money and time. Still, what Pat details here just irks me to no end with these airlines, and I appreciate his tips. I suspect much of my big non-resident stuff will be put on hold for a few years while my daughters are young and I feel guilty being gone too long. But in 7.5 years, I should be eligible for early retirement and ready to hit the road and see some new country besides the wonderful places I've already been able to sample.

07-Dec-09
Pat-

Hope you don't mind, I forwarded customer relations at United the link to this article. I also informed them that henceforth I would be avoiding booking them for the summer tours I take groups of students to Japan with,as well as any other professional use of their company.

Don't know what good that will do, but I have brought a reasonable sum of business to them over the years that I can easily take elsewhere in the future.

dg

07-Dec-09
"My biggest limiting factor in any out-of-state hunt is time away from work."

I am right there with you. Flying saves me time which is important given my limited paid time off (I only get 5.5 weeks a year ;-). In most years, fying rather than driving translates to me being able to sneak in one more hunt.

Flying can be a PITA. Don't despair or avoid the airlines like the plague - be smart, learn the rules, and play the game. Articles like Pat's are a great tool in the tool box.

08-Dec-09
Re Point 9: Depending on the circumstances you may consider shipping your meat via "air cargo" rather than checked baggage. Just had moose & caribou shipped from Alaska to Houston via Alaska Air air cargo for 85 cents per pound (all in - tax, title & license).

08-Dec-09

Ron's embedded Photo
Ron's embedded Photo
Bigdan, you got me to thinking not much has changed over the years. We didn't have ATVs back then unless we built them ourselves. This one here was a Corvair cut down and our old school bus camper that only got used for hunting trips. Half the fun was in the going, the hunting part was the icing.

08-Dec-09
My options are a bit limited, as in not flying isn't an option.

And I would like to boycott United but that's going to be tough, they are the major player in our market. And like Pat said, you REALLY need to stay with one carrier on the trip. Switching carriers is asking, begging for trouble. United is one of the few I can go pretty much anywhere and not switch carriers.

I've been very lucky, in 30+ years of many many flights I've had only one case of lost luggage. It had more to do with a canceled flight and an airport closing due to weather. They delivered my bags to me the next day. Knock on wood.

Great article. Couple things I'd like to add is #1 make sure you get to the airport WAY ahead of time, 2 hours minimum IMO. And I like to schedule any plane changes for at least a one hour layover, two is better. 20 minutes between flights may not get your luggage on your plane.

#2 is know the airport abbreviations of all the airports you will be at and double check that your bags have been checked to go to your destination. Twice over the years I had luggage improperly tagged at the counter and just happened to catch it. The agent didn't check it all the way through to the final destination. Two years ago that exact thing happened to one of our elk partners and cost us a day getting his bags.

#3 this is the first time I've done it but it was handy as heck. Take a small digital scale for weighing your luggage. We weighted out everyone's coolers and bags this year and breezed through the airport. It's the same scale I'm using on my draw board, only a few oz and very small, weighs up to 110 lbs. And I got it on a recommendation from, ta da, the Bowsite!

But, like I said, I've been lucky. OTOH I've had much more problems with car rental places thinking they can change you over to any ol vehicle when you reserved a truck or suv. Cost us most of the day in Boise this year and wasn't the first time, happened in several places. I always cross my fingers walking up to the rental car counter.

I fly with a wheeled bowcase, my bow won't fit in golf cases or rolling duffels. The bow arrow case, tool case and most of my clothes go in it. Second bag is a cooler with camping gear. Electronics, optics, etc. go in my backpack carryon. Cooler goes on top of rolling bowcase, backpack carryon over my shoulder and away through the airport we go.

If we tag out we mail our equipment back and use the coolers for frozen meat. Elk racks got split and mailed back too last hunt. I can get 30 or 40 lb of frozen meat in my carryon. If needed I'll buy another cheap cooler at wallyworld or whatever and mail my bow case back too. You don't need a very big one to hold less than 50 lbs of meat. Still much cheaper than paying for extra baggage or (gasp) oversize. And a lot easier to deal with at the airport.

08-Dec-09
That Boston to Fairbanks drive will be a pain.

08-Dec-09
Bou: Boston to Fairbanks Alaska Air all the way. They are as good as they come. I'm doing BOS to ANK in august with one change in Seattle.

08-Dec-09
FLY SOUTHWEST. united sucks and always has.

08-Dec-09
If I can't drive there, I guess I won't go. I've had wayyyyyyy too many bad experiences involving horrible service on airlines, and just plain bad luck involving weather issues. All it takes is a storm running through the East Coast to screw up ALL the flights across the country.

I won't even subject my family to the incredible amounts of time spent sitting. Waiting. And sitting some more.

I figured out that with the arrival to the airport 90 minutes before boarding, security issues, the cattle-car feeling in-flight, the long layovers between flights,the apathetic airline employees, the lack of desire to accomodate even the smallest of requests, and the brazen "too bad, so sad" responses when all that goes astray - it's just not worth it! I can drive there, stop when I want, enjoy a meal of my choosing. See a bit more of the country. It's all so much more enjoyable to drive.

Sheesh! I need a beer...

iowaPete

08-Dec-09
good all stay home dont fly ,, it is what it is as long as i get there in one piece alive its ok ,,, ive had my bow lost for days etc ,, i dont see myself driving to alaska ,, haha 2,000 in fuel at least ,be for real

United banned antlers a while back i tagged out in wy this sept called united and they said no way ,,,went to ups ,, one must be prepared for everything when hunting away from home ,,,

I never had a problem with antihunters at airlines it seems outside NY everbody hunts ,, and are very helpful.

plus wearng camo at airports isnt that a redneck thing to do ....

09-Dec-09
I had never considered just driving back., nor using a golf bag for the gear. Great idea. I've always planned to drive, or ship my gear separately. I'd ship out Fed Ex, and MAYBE carry my old style back up bow in the golf bag w' arrows, good boots, some clothes, etc.

United has been terrible to me and my bows since the early 1990s. Even traveling in suit and tie on business with a bright colored 3D bow in a black case. Everything from an idiot agent claiming I couldn't have arrows in the bow case 'cause they were 'ammunition' to refusing to accept the case w/o a damage wavier. That means they can grind my equipment up into little bits and not owe me a thing as long as they give me the bits back.

I've avoided United as much as possible for 20 years now.

09-Dec-09
I've had horrible experiences on Northwest and Delta. Most of them have to do with lost luggage or delays and cancelled flights. Once Delta lost my duffle in Seattle, and I was told every day that they would have it in my hands the next day. Several days later, I got a call from Northwest and they had my bag. That was long before Delta and Northwest got together. I think hunters get hassled in several different cities, regardless of the airline. I have been driving to any destination inside the Continental US for years because of the pitiful service and to Montreal once.

09-Dec-09
Pat - great article and thread here!

I have used hard golf bag cases for several trips. I will now add stickers to them!

Yes, be courteous. However, in 08 on the way back from Colorado I had two issues with United. First, I had a handgun. Never a problem before. This time, the front line person could not speak english! They double billed me for baggage charges, which I eventually recovered. It was super fristrating in a anxious time anyhow, but add in the person who was of apparent African descent that could not comprehend english was maddening.

Then at our layover flight, my son & I heard the boarding call while in the bathroom about 150 feet from the terminal. We got out & ran to the gate as they announced final boarding call to find out that the gate was closed! They had over sold the plane and given our seats away.... We took a flight 3 hours later adn my buddy wasknid enough to return to the airport to pick us up (a 1 hour drive each way for him). Then when we landed, it turns out that my golf bag came on the second flight, not the first. I barely figured that one out and almost left the airport with it riding around on the conveyor.

I drove recently to Ontario for a deer hunt. Thinking I may do that for future hunts. By the way, my sons elk cost me $1,000.... $325 for processing at the locker in Craig, then $646 for Fed Ex next day air shipment for 2 boxes of meat! GULP!!

Driving is looking much better these days!

>>>>-------------->

10-Dec-09
In case anybody is wondering what happened to the trophies taken by our hunters, one of our partners drove up from the U.S. and when he returned home he took the capes and antlers with him (after securing the necessarry permits)and the story ended well for those guys. We work with a very talented local taxidermist and suggest hunters leave their trophies with him; he has a quick turnaround time and the mounts get shipped directly to the hunters. Total cost is about $800.00 to 900.00 and he does phenomenal work on these big Canadian deer. Real classy of United to change their policy mid-season with no warning whatsoever....

10-Dec-09
Don't have much experience flying to hunt, but it has to be worse than fishing. We have completely abandoned flying to Canada for fishing due to 1. Cancelled flights. 2. Lost gear. It isn't good to get up there with no rods or a missing rainsuit. Last time we flew to Winnipeg, United sent one guy's gear to Sydney, Australia. 3. Ridiculous add on costs. Several outfitters have told me that the airlanes are by far the biggest threat to their business. Golf is an issue also. We try to fly Southwest whenever possible, as they are clearly the most user friendly.

10-Dec-09
I had problems on three trips in a row flying to Montana using Delta. Seemed my bow case would get lost in Atlanta each time. The last time it cost me 2 days of a 6 day guided elk hunt. Also seemed just the camo bags were the ones they couldn't get to the correct destination. Interesting.

Oh yeah, they wanted to pay me $25 per day for my trouble. That is if I would send them all kinds of paperwork. The $25 per day doesn't quite cover a 6 day $3K elk hunt. Yes, I was ticked.

12-Dec-09
Pat and all: as much as it bothered me I drve my Silverado 350 duel wheel dunmp truck to Colorado for my last elk hunt. Diesel fuel I might add. All said and done I'm glad I did as I didn't have to comply with all the airline anti-hunter regs.Next time??? You bet I'll take the truck!!

12-Dec-09
"I disagree with the don't look like a hunter! I am a hunter and am DAMN proud to be so"

Ha Tim I was thinking the same thing....must be the "Rebel" in us huh!

When you fly out of places like Little Rock,Memphis usually workers are high fiving ya wishing they were going with you.

Canada has been much different though.

I usually drive if my schedule at all permits.

It sets the tone for me and gives me a better total experience.

12-Dec-09
Thank the good Lord I have had no issues in the past four years flying to Montana.

13-Dec-09
Did a quick pull of various airline rules.....

Delta (Northwest): http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/fragile_bulky/antlers/index.jsp

Antlers

You can bring that trophy home. We will accept animal racks/antlers, although they are not included as part of the regular baggage allowance. A fee of $175 per animal rack/antler will apply for travel within the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico; and a fee of $300 per animal rack/antler will apply for travel outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. Current Fees for Tickets purchased in Brazil and purchased in Japan for travel to / from Brazil is $75.

The following restrictions apply:

* Antlers will be accepted on Delta Connection flights only if space is available. * Antlers must be free of residue and the skull must be wrapped and the tips protected. * Linear dimensions must not exceed 120 inches (305cms). Any animal rack/antler that exceeds 120 linear inches cannot be accepted.

Because space can be limited, we can't always get the antlers on the same plane with you. If we don't, we'll hold them at your destination for you to pick up when you can or you can have them delivered for a charge.

United: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1035,00.html

Antlers & animal horns United Airlines does not accept antlers or animal horns as checked or carry-on baggage on any flights.

US Air: http://www2.usairways.com/en-EU/travel_information/baggage_policies/special_items.html

Antlers Antlers will be accepted as checked baggage for a charge of $100 per direction. Antlers are not included as part of the passenger's normal baggage allowance. The following conditions of acceptance apply:

* Dimension (H + W + L) must not exceed 120 inches/305 cm o On the CRJ aircraft the largest dimension cannot exceed 33 inches/84 cm and the overall dimensions cannot exceed 99/252 cm inches o On the Dash 8 aircraft the largest dimension cannot exceed 50 inches/127 cm * Head/skull must be completely clean and free of residue * Points must be covered and protected * One rack per ticketed customer * Can’t combine or cradle 2 or more racks

American Airlines

Item Allowance/ Requirements Cost Maximum Size and Weight Additional Information Antlers Must be as free of residue as possible. The skull must be wrapped and tips protected. $100 in addition to the applicable checked baggage charge, based on the number of checked bags. 70 lbs 115 inches - Acceptance conditional on aircraft size and load conditions - Passengers must make all arrangements and assume full responsibility for complying with any applicable laws, customs, and/or other governmental regulations, requirements or restrictions of the county, state, or territory to/from which the antlers are being transported.

Alaska Airlines: http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/help/faqs/CheckedBaggage.asp#maindiv

# Perishable and Trophy Items It is your responsibility to properly package all perishable items and these items are checked at your own risk for spoilage. We recommend that you package raw meat and seafood so it is able to withstand a minimum of 48 hours in transit without refrigeration.

Fish and raw game meat may be accepted as baggage only if packaged in a leak-proof container (Styrofoam not accepted). Gel ice is recommended, but up to 5.5 pounds of dry ice is acceptable. Items containing dry ice must be declared at check-in and labeled on the package. Wet ice is not allowed. Freeze or chill meat and seafood thoroughly before packaging for optimal final destination temperature.

Antlers and horns are only accepted as checked baggage if they are properly packaged and meet normal size and weight restrictions.

* Antlers must be in a hard-sided container (e.g., box or crate). * Antler tips must be padded to prevent punctures. * Antlers must be free of raw meat, blood, or noticeable odors. * Linear dimensions must not exceed 120 inches (305cms). Any animal rack/antler that exceeds 120 linear inches cannot be accepted. * Maximum allowable dimensions are 38 inches deep by 34 inches wide and 70 inches length/height.

Items that are oversized or overweight must be shipped via Air Cargo. Please keep in mind this will require additional time as the Air Cargo offices may not be near the departure terminal in some cities.

For additional information, contact our Air Cargo office at 1-800-225-2752.

Because space can be limited, we can't always get the antlers on the same plane with you. If we don't, we'll hold them at your destination for you to pick up when you can or you can have them delivered for a charge.

Continental Airlines: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/fragile.aspx

Antlers

Antlers are subject to a $100 service charge per item. One service charge applies when smaller antlers are nestled inside larger antlers and strapped together. This charge is in addition to any excess baggage charges that may apply.

Continental Airlines will accept antlers retained as hunting trophies, for travel to/from the U.S. and Canada, provided the following conditions are met:

* Aircraft size and load conditions permit * Antlers must be as free of residue as possible * Skull must be wrapped and tips protected * Antler linear dimensions (L+W+H) must not exceed 120 inches.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for antlers.

14-Dec-09
I am going on a Cougar hunt in 2 weeks.I am thinking about putting the hide in my carry on if I am successful. I am flying on Delta, does anyone know if this is allowed?

14-Dec-09
MaBow....Don't ask, don't tell.

14-Dec-09
Ditto. It can only be un-allowed if they are informed. Just make double sure that it is prepped/packaged in a way that will not drip or leak (freeze it inside a breathable game bag, double up in plastic bags *after* it is frozen, and then pack inside something insulative).

14-Dec-09
thanks Pat for speaking up.

I suggest putting musical stickers on your bow case. When checking in I am constantly asked what's in the case and most people are good with instruments. So at least the bag handlers might treat it better.

15-Dec-09
Mabow,

Didja read the whole article?

15-Dec-09
My experience.....

The last two times I traveled with my rifle, when I got to my destination, I found the rifle loose or not the way I packed it. There was that little TSA postcard saying they got into your stuff for an inspection. The first time it happened I just got to Kodiak (started at Reagan National) and found the rifle loose in the particular case I used. Of course the rifle had to be resighted up there. The next time I used a different case and the rifle had the strap pressed against the scope when I opened it up. It seems the TSA bubbas like to play with your gun and not put it back the way they found it. Grrrr..... You also have to use TSA locks. If your case requires 2 padlocks, you must have two on there. I suspect the TSA folks might get into bow cases too. Jerks me off a little they don't respect your stuff.....and this coming from a guy who works in the same dept (DHS)!!

The other tip I would offer is when flying thru Anchorage and you have to spend the night, they have freezer storage there in the terminal for your boxed fish or meat. It's pretty cheap and worth it in my opinion. On Kodiak, the local Walmart has the waxed, insulated shipping boxes for sale. They will hold about 50lbs of fish, not sure about how much meat. Great deal!!!

Alaska Airlines is hunter friendly unless you try to get slick and load a 70+ inch, unpacked moose rack as checked baggage. It's got to go freight. I watched a guy get in a pissing match with the Alaska Airlines counter agent who wouldn't let him check in his un-packaged monster moose rack as checked baggage. He spends big bucks on a guided moose hunt, smokes a big one, then quibbles about having to pay a couple extra bucks to put the loose rack in freight!!??? Moral of the story.....plan ahead and use a little common sense....ask questions...know before you go.

15-Dec-09
I have been to the Spearhead ranch 3 times. To Colorado 5 times. Driven evertime. This last time, to the Spearhead. I took my daughter. It was very special. I sat there an listened to her act like a little girl over all the sites see was seeing. It was and still is a beautiful memory. It will live with me for ever. We drove from N.W. Pa. She got to see soo much. We even did some siteseeing in Neb. We stopped at McDonalds in Neb. tha saturday. She asked why everybody was wearing RED. I told her "we are in Cornhusker country". Flying is nice, but, I will take the extra day or 2 and drive. At least I know that my stuff will be there when I get there.

16-Dec-09
Hey, don't forget not to fly through Holland if at all possible. It is against the law to enter Holland with broadheads. A group of hunters were pulled aside & almost arrested when an agent saw them in their "checked" baggage. They had to throw them away. Myself & 2 friends went through there in September. I think the only reason we weren't given the same treatment is because we used muzzy's, & had taken them apart prior to traveling.

17-Dec-09
Looks like United has heard from some folks. Kudos to Pat

From e-newsletter from the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance

United Hears Sportsmen, Antlers to be Allowed on Flights

12/16/09

The voices of sportsmen were heard loud and clear by United Airlines as the company made the decision to change a new policy that would have banned antlers from being allowed onto any flight.

As previously reported, sportsmen from coast to coast were enraged as it became known United Airlines had quietly initiated a policy preventing passengers from carrying on or checking antlers or animal horns of any kind.

After receiving thousands of complaints from sportsmen, who were informed by the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance (USSA), through Bowsite.com, and from many other concerned organizations, United Airlines has reconsidered this policy. In a message sent to the USSA and other organizations, United stated:

“As you have recently contacted us, I wanted you to be the first to know that we have heard our customers’ feedback about our Antler and Animal Horn policy, and are responding. Soon we will begin accepting Antlers and Animal Horns as checked baggage again.

As many of you may recall or have seen on our web site, in October 2008 we stopped accepting Antlers and Animal Horns because of the damage the tips caused to the cargo section of the aircraft and to the luggage belonging to our other guests.

We will soon publish new requirements – and ones we previously did not have – about packaging and cleaning Antlers and Animal Horns to ensure their safe, clean transport. These travel requirements will also provide information on the size of Antlers and Animal Horns we can accept based on the type of aircraft being flown (i.e., traditional jet vs. a regional jet) and the special handling fee, which we previously had in place and is similar to other items that require special care.

Stay tuned for further updates on the baggage section of united.com

“United proved that just because you make a mess doesn’t mean you have to stay in it,” said Pat Lefemine, the developer of the nation’s leading bow hunting website, www.bowsite.com and one of the first to sound the alarm over the anti-hunting policy. “It also proved again that when sportsmen unite behind an issue, their voices will be heard.”

The USSA echoed Lefemine’s sentiments.

“We’re glad that United has considered the views of sportsmen and hope the new rules will reflect our concerns,” said Bud Pidgeon, USSA president and CEO. “Regardless, the USSA plans to examine these new policies to be sure that they are fair to sportsmen.”

17-Dec-09
#2 Avoid United Airlines Search You Tube-United broke guitar. Nail in the cofin for me. The guy did a great job on it too.

18-Dec-09
f- United. Will never fly them again and will make sure everyone who I hunt with and travel with won't either.

Pat

19-Dec-09
You done good grasshopper!!!!

• Sitka Gear