rallison 24-Apr-18
LKH 24-Apr-18
dgb 25-Apr-18
Outdoordan 25-Apr-18
LKH 25-Apr-18
Outdoordan 25-Apr-18
davidolson 24-Feb-19
20-Sep-11
I was lifting up a gate last Thursday hunting and there was a gristly pop feeling right above the bend in my arm. It felt like a electric shock going through my arm. Over the next two days that area and my forearm turned purple. Certain movements aggravate it and there's a small lump in the area. The muscle didn't detach. Is there anything besides being careful with it I should be doing?

21-Sep-11
Torn Bicept. Go to a doctor. Have the surgery and learn to cuss and watch football on weekends.

Then.

After the surgery, do the dang rehab therapy and learn to cuss and sweat like the rest of us.

21-Sep-11
Bowriter sounds right. I've actually ruptured biceps tendon's in both arms, about two years apart. I've had full tears and you could actually see the muscle move up my upper arm. I would without a doubt go to a good doctor and get checked out. Hopefully you don't have a full tear like I did. Good luck.

21-Sep-11
I snapped the top of my tendon & my muscle fell to my elbow-looked like a popeye muscle (Gross). Anyway, was years ago & of course had surgery right away. I've enjoyed many more years of Bowhunting but did go through a personal tough workout regiment to get it back. SEE A DR. or you may end up NEVER Bowhunting if not taken care of properly.

21-Sep-11
good advice above. it's been a week time to either see a doctor or someone who stayed at a holiday in express last night.

honestly...........a week and you have not seen a dr??????????

good luck

21-Sep-11
I was elk hunting when it happened. Come he'll or high water I wasn't coming home unless I was unable to walk I did see a dr today and they've ordered an MRI asap.

21-Sep-11
I snapped a tendon in my left forearm a couple weeks ago. Just got approved today to have an MRI. In the meantime, I have tore/hurt something in my right bicep just above elbow since I was told not to use my left arm much and was therefore using the right to much I guess. If They don't hurry up with all the red tape, I won't be able to walk. Already missing bow season. Good luck with your injury.

Rob

21-Sep-11
Not good timing pardner.

21-Sep-11
tore the right bicept muscle and tendon completely a few yrs ago. at the time i was not aware of the serious nature of this injury. called an ortho md friend and i was in surgery within the hour. he repaired the tendon, where it attaches distally. i still have some discomfort in the shoulder where there was also a sl tear.

i can still shoot my bows albeit lighter weight. i do miss having a powerfull right arm....

21-Sep-11
Fortunately it's my left arm and I don't have to pull with that arm.

21-Sep-11
I tore a Bicep lifting too many sheets of drywall a few years ago. Go to a doctor, and then go to physical therapy. The girl that helped me did wonders. Lots of stretching and building back up with the right motion. Takes a few years to get full strength back but I was able to shoot a bow after a few months of PT Good luck. Bad timing though

21-Sep-11
I tore my left biceps tendon, and had it repaired. You need an operation. Get it looked at, you can not wait too long as your muscle will shrivel up.

21-Sep-11
Our bow season is over and once I am done elk hunting for the year I'm done. Deer hunting just isn't the same after chasing elk. Rifle season starts this weekend and I've decided to use an old 30-30 model 94 with iron sites. If I see a buck at least I know I'll have to get in close. The largest buck I've shot was with it several years back and I shot him at 20 yards. I can't draw a bow now without severe pain otherwise I should use my bow.

22-Sep-11
"Deer hunting just isn't the same after chasing elk."

How true this statement is.

22-Sep-11
If your biceps tore at the attachment near your shoulder, it likely doesn't need fixed. Tears at the elbow are a different story. Many folks, even high level athletes do just fine with a torn biceps tendon at the shoulder attachment. I see these regularly in my practice and folks do just fine with essentially no limitations or disability, including bowhunting. Best of Luck!!

22-Sep-11
Re-read your original post and it appears your problem is at the elbow. Surgery does well here, but you'll be on the shelf for 4 to 5 months before you can safely perform heavy activity. Best of luck.

22-Sep-11
I shot my bow left handed and drew and released with my teeth. If I can do it, anyone can. Bowhunt if you want. Great advice PT.

22-Sep-11
I go in for an MRI tomorrow. Yeah it's at my elbow. With my arm straight and I start to bend it I have two bumps in my arm. One up high and one down low right above my elbow.

22-Sep-11
I ripped my right side bicep tendon distal to the muscle-had same burning sensation-edema next day from upper arm to thumb-went to ER Doc said stretched bicep-ice it-little brother weightlifter said ripped your tendon -didn't do anything about it-I now shoot a 40# Hoyt but can still hunt at least-see an ortho asap

23-Sep-11
I tore mine on the left arm this past mid-April and missed turkey season. Am already back to shooting my 50 lb. recurve. I popped the tendon that holds the bicep to the forearm. My orthopedic said that you onlly have about a two window to repair or possible complications. Tend to it as soon as possible. And yes, follow instructions to the "tee" for rehab. lareva

26-Sep-11
Well it's torn in half. Got to in go in for another MRI and then next get me in as soon as possible to surgery. Well at least I got to go deer hunting with a rifle Saturday and shoot the second deer in 40 years with a rifle. Heck I'm gonna go again tomorrow to try and get the second one.

24-Apr-18
Hi Guys

hope all is well. My Name is Henry from South Africa. I tore my tendon at the elbow about 2 weeks ago. I see a lot of you guys had the same pain and many had the same tear as me. I tore mine by picking up a 100lbs printer of a table, it felt like velcro and i had this numb feeling in my arm and not sore at all, needless to say... I carried the printer future and placed it on another cupboard. I went to the emergency room the afternoon and was operated the next day, today marks the 8th week since my op, i shoot 3D and field an am slowly starting to shoot again at 50-55 pounds i shoot about 10 -12 sot per night not to overdo it. the doctor was so happy with my recovery that he didn't even send me for rehab. it was not sore at all not even after the opp.... but when they removed the casings i felt like flooring the doctor. this brings me to this post. when you started shooting what is the main concerns, what pain do you feel and should you look out for?

24-Apr-18
Only a Doctor and an MRI will tell you what is going on.

.. .. .. .

. .. . ..

I had a Distal Bicep Rupture in October 2011 while climbing a tree. Safety Harness and Prusssic rope saved my life. My bicep ruptured, and I let go of the climbing sticks..

Usually, the bicep will knot up. Mine did not. It was held in place by connective tissue.

I called my Orthopaedics office immediately when it blew. ( the most painful thing ever for about 5 seconds ).

The Dr. got on the phone, and said by my description, that he had to see me that day. ( felt like a rubber band broke at my elbow ) ( MUCH pain for a few seconds )

MRI confirmed what the Dr suspected.

He told me you have a 75% chance of successful surgery if you have the repair done within 30 days. After 30 days, your chance of success starts diminishing.

He also said that a bicep rupture is prevalent in about 30% of men.

See the Doc, you have time for a repair and recovery before Deer Archery Season if you do it now.

Good luck. prayers sent.

24-Apr-18
I ruptured an upper bicep tendon, at my left shoulder...that's no biggie. BUT a ruptured tendon at the elbow IS!

My boss did that and the surgury, immediate aftermath, and subsequent LONG rehab and healing period was a stone bitch! He said he's never felt such intense, lasting pain.

Get it checked!

24-Apr-18
My left shoulder bicep attachment was failing. Ultimately they cut the tendon off and used an allen screw with 3 wire grabber to screw it into a drilled hole in the head of my humerus. Relatively painless recovery. Doing dumbbell curls with 35-40 lbs. While not what I did when I was younger, it was a great fix.

But most importantly, why haven't you been to the doc???? Unlike women and wine this won't improve with age.

25-Apr-18
I tore my bicep about a year and a half ago. I didn't get the reattachment surgery - my looks a little funny but I'm fully functional. I did 18 pullups on my 58th birthday so don't sweat it!

25-Apr-18

Outdoordan's embedded Photo
Outdoordan's embedded Photo
I tore my tricep doing "skull crusher" lifts at the gymn about 3 weeks ago. Surgery to re-attach was 2 weeks ago, and have removed splint. The splint I had on for 10 days was horrible, as I couldn't find a good way to sleep, itched, etc. Glad to get out of the splint, I start therapy next week. Still pretty sore, but atleast I have my arm back, somewhat. I can't get full extension either in, or straight, and am hoping that changes as I can't shoot a bow without my left arm coming out further or changing to a 22" draw, lol.

25-Apr-18
Getting range of motion is a matter of time and therapy. You will have to work at it, but don't push past what the therapist says.

25-Apr-18
Frustrating.

24-Feb-19

davidolson's Link
Wow, your injury looks really bad. How do you treat it and plan to recover from it? I am asking because can help you I think. When I had a hernia I was able to find some support belts for it at Befit and I am sure that they have everything that you may need in order to recover from an injury. I hope that your recovery time will be really fast and you'll be back in no time!

• Sitka Gear