Alaska at heart 11-Aug-17
INbowdude 12-Aug-17
Jeff Durnell 13-Aug-17
Fuzzy 14-Aug-17
fubar racin 14-Aug-17
24-Sep-13
to close to shoot, and have nearly stepped on dzs

24-Sep-13
Deer 2-3 yards, Elk touched one once, bear 4-5 yards, Javalina 1-2 yards, Turkey 1 yard, Moose less than 10 yards, Antelope within arms reach, Mt. Goat 5 feet

24-Sep-13
Went out for pizza one nite and saw a doe lying in the road on a major 2 way highway. She was hit by a car but was alive and ran to the grass divider. I walked up to her and 2 cars stopped and the drivers got out and halted traffic in both directions as I picked her up and carried her to the side of the road. We placed her down and covered her head to calm her and then the police came. We knew she was beyond help but we tried to reach a vet, to no avail. Finally a game warden showed up and put her down. The thing that I will always remember is that the two cars that stopped were my hunting buddy and another guy who hunted. Made me proud to call myself a hunter!

24-Sep-13
I had a doe with a broke hind leg, I guess from getting hit by a car, so I caught her and broke her neck to finish her off.

I also caught a healthy spike buck once by hand and I wrestled him to the ground and broke his neck. Both were during hunting season if you were wondering. My dad watched me fight with the spike and he just laughed his butt off as we wrestled around. The deer growled and tried to bite me. I finally got my legs wrapped around him and was able to twist his neck till it broke.

24-Sep-13

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Don't have a photo of it, but I had a small buck come to my decoy hat close enough I was able to touch him on the nose. This one was close but not that close.

24-Sep-13
Had a bull elk come with in inches of stepping on my toes.

24-Sep-13
I touched a whitetail doe one time. I was on the ground in a blow down and she walked right next to it. I was able to reach out and smack her on the rump. This was almost a bad deal. She kicked her legs back like a scalded mule. If I had been in a different spot she would have taught me a bad lesson about smacking a deer on the rump.

24-Sep-13
I saw a bull elk almost step on Forest Bows... I know it's not a deer but it was pretty darn cool.

24-Sep-13
I did the same thing as Brotsky did. Had a fawn walk right up to me as I was sitting on a big blowdown. It was during muzzleloader season and I had my blaze orange on. She feed on acorns within arms reach. I smacked her on the rump with my hand. She didn't mule kick, just ran a few feet and looked at me with a "what did you do that for" look on her face. After a few minutes, she just ambled off, feeding.

24-Sep-13

Hardcore's embedded Photo
Hardcore's embedded Photo
This one was 2ft. My neighbor had a pet doe that was like a dog. But a wild, mature deer I'd say 5-6 ft.

24-Sep-13
Almost forgot: I was stationed in Germany and I saw some fallow deer in my yard one morning. I thought cool I'm going to take a picture of them to send home. I quickly put on my camo and grabbed the camera and belly crawled to where the deer were feeding. After taking a couple of pics I decided to see just how close I could get to them. At about "two feet" I was thinking this is unbelievable. That deer just looked right at me and didn't even spook. I stood up to watch them run off and they just stood there. Then one came over and started sniffing my hand to see if I had something to feed them with. So I pet her. I felt pretty stupid.

24-Sep-13
3 ft. 10+ years ago ground hunting with a muzzleloader, small buck chased a doe right behind me. Scared the bejesus out of me.

24-Sep-13
Had a doe and fawn actually touch my sleeve while sniffing to see what I was. Have been within 10 feet a number of other times, once so close I had to jump out of the way to keep from getting run over.

24-Sep-13
Watched a hell of a buck fight a week ago. was hiding 5 yards behind a tree at times. they let me walk right up to them.

24-Sep-13
Too close to shoot or move. three feet from a 5x5 bull elk once.

at those distances it is only a matter of seconds before you are sensed or scented.

24-Sep-13
about six inches, but his lungs were punctured from my shot and he was not alive for long. Technically though he was still alive and i was within 6 inches.

24-Sep-13
2-3 yards from a wild deer while on the ground - very fun.

While in a tree, i've had them directly under me - like looking between my feet through the stand at them - but in a vertical sense that's further than being real close on the ground.

24-Sep-13
I had a doe smell my boots when I was sitting on the ground .

24-Sep-13
Had a mulie doe by the hind leg for a while.

I had just cut a strand of barbed wire that she had wrapped her leg in while almost clearing a pasture fence as I approached while driving to the area I was hunting one afternoon in CO. I grabbed the pliers from my tool bag I kept under the seat,and walked back to free her, if she didn't seem to have anything broken.

She stood on the other three legs and bellowed like a calf a few times while I was working on the wire, then several seconds after I had actually freed her leg and was slowly lowering it and getting it clear of the fence top before releasing it. When she suddenly realized that the only thing that still had her was the human on the other side of the fence, she wanted to leave in a hurry, and did.

Found out it's real hard to turn loose of a deer leg quickly enough to keep from being strained though a fence when that happens 8^)

Another mulie, this one a buck fawn, was nibbling some brush near me while I sat in a natural brush blind I had made by clearing a small space inside clump of buffaloberry bushes up in ND. He kept getting closer until he finally poked his nose in the hole I had been watching him through. Our noses were about a foot and a half apart for a few seconds before he lost interest and moved on. Never did spook, and I was far from scent-free at the time, after camping on the prairie for several days and being a pipe smoker in those days.

24-Sep-13
Inches from a bedded fawn to take a picture.

3-4 feet from mature whitetails, happened twice. First one was a yearling doe that I shot while still hunting along the edge of a standing cornfield.

Second was the largest buck I ever saw in the wild and in a cornfield, too. We were driving the cornfield and this guy had been around the block and was not going to go where we wanted him. Instead of being pushed down the cornfield he turned sideways and kicked in the afterburners, going across the corn rows as fast as he could go. He almost ran me over and I had to shout at the last moment to get him to veer to one side. I'll never forget the cornstalks caught in his antlers streaming behind him as he flew past me. I could have reached out and touched him, but wisely decided that would not be a healthy thing to do in that situation.

24-Sep-13
Maybe 6" while hunting.

I was in a sage brush ground blind in Oregon a number of years ago on the edge of an alfalfa field. I had some deer out in front of me when a young fork horn got curious about the blind. He walked right up to it and put his nose part way into one of my shoot holes. I had my face up against the same shoot hole. We were so close I considered leaning forward a little and kissing him on the lips just to see what he'd do.

Last summer I was playing golf one day when we noticed a doe stuck in a wrought iron fence nearby. She'd tried to jump over it to get into a guy's backyard and got a rear leg caught on the top of the fence, wedged in between two of the iron bars. I climbed the fence and lifted her up enough from the front so two of my golfing buddies could free her leg from the other side. It worked and while she was bleeding a little, it wasn't a serious injury. I funneled her towards a gate I'd opened on the other side of the yard and after a minute or two she realized she was free to go, so ran off, none the worse for wear.

24-Sep-13
Have had several deer and elk sniff the end of my arrow.

Once had a 5x bull actually step over my outstretched legs while feeding.

Never tried to touch one. I used to have horses and was kicked in the head. Don't need that again.

24-Sep-13
DC... you are the man! LOL!

24-Sep-13
Trout fishing this year I stepped out of the creek and nearly stepped on a fawn. My foot was 8-10" from it. A few years ago I was fishing the same creek and had a doe walk down the middle of it. She walked about 4-5' from me. Hunting years ago I had a doe smell my boot...so 1-2". Last June a youngster I know wanted to see some wildlife. We sat in a deer blind of mine on a power line. I started blowing a fawn in distress call hoping to see a coyote. A bear came running down the power line to about 30 yards from us. He circled us with his nose in the air looking for the fawn. At one point we could hear him inhaling trying to scent the fawn. At that time he was 13' ( I measured it with a tape rule the next day).

24-Sep-13
I picked a yearling doe up once. I was driving down a guy's 1/2 mile drive way to ask for permission to hunt and her back leg was stuck in a hog panel fence surrounding his feeder. She kicked frantically until I grabbed her in the middle and then it was like she just gave up. The owner of the property pushed her back leg out of the wire panel and I lowered her to the ground and she wobbled off into the woods. Her tendon did not look torn so I am guessing she made it as long as the coyotes left her her alone. She felt like a fat goat.

24-Sep-13
Had a doe come up to sniff me and I could feel her whiskers on my ears. Frankly scared the cr** out of me because I didn't think she would come that close and I once saw a guy have a rodeo with a deer one time that was apparently down...but not out...and he came off the worst for it.

24-Sep-13
I was about 10 and I had a nice 8 point walk up behind the tree I was sitting under. I never heard him, the steam coming from his nose at every breath brushed across my face and caught my attention. I wiped my head around instinctively and he jumped about 3 feet straight up in the air and ran,the best part was that my dad watched the entire thing unfold from a tree stand 50 yards away.

Head numerous birds land on me while on stand, half dozen squirrels run up/across my legs while on stand or sitting on ground.

I have had a hen turkey walk across my legs while sitting at base of a tree and a tom walk up next to me within arms reach from behind, spooked him by moving to quickly too.

Many deer over the years have bedded within 2-5 yards from the base of my tree.

Thank God for the ability to be in nature. I do not feel more at home than when I am in the woods.

24-Sep-13
Thorton's post reminded me of another time I got close to a deer. My parents had retired to 20 acres in the country. Dad had contracted with one of the local ranchers to cut and bale his hay. One weekend, the rancher was cutting hay and Dad and I were working in the garden. The rancher stopped his tractor, got out and hollered at us to come down. We got there and he told us there were two fawns lying in the grass right in front of the tractor. We eased up and grabbed them. They went to bawling but didn't really struggle very much. The momma doe was standing in the treeline and came running up to us but kept her distance, then ran off. We placed the fawns under a big cedar tree and walked away. About 15 minutes later, the doe came back and we could hear her bleating. The fawns came out from the cedar and they all left together. So much for the old theory that if a human touches a baby animal the mother will abandon them. We saw those 3 off and on all that year.

24-Sep-13
Had a fawn come out of a blow down and actually touch my hand while smelling me. She / he was ooviously was looking for Mama

24-Sep-13
On the ground heard a cray noise 50 yrds away went to investigate it was just past shootin light saw the outline of a giant he walked straight at me got to 5ft lookin at each other that was 2 yrs ago saw him twice that year had same guy come in behind me last year 30yrd I hope to see him this year !

24-Sep-13
back in 85 when I lived in Colorado, I was on a run, saw a huge herd of mule deer....wind from me to them, and they were up hill of me. being young and dumb I decided to try and see how close I could get. dirt was dry and dusty...made for easy sneaking.......the deer were all facing into the wind up the hill. I snuck over the top of the hill, had a doe within arm's reach, and after thinking of trying to hop on for a ride, I reached out and slapped her in the arse!!! she screeched and took off running and the whole herd followed.

24-Sep-13
Touched a 6 point as he walked beside the tree where I was standing

24-Sep-13
3 feet. Was squirrel hunting years ago, leaning against a big pin oak for several minutes and heard something in the leaves on the other side. Looked around the tree, and there was a doe. She looked at me for a couple seconds and exploded out of there, and scared the hell out of both of us.

24-Sep-13
I kicked a big muley doe in the ribs one day when she walked by - she grunted/whoofed LOUDLY

24-Sep-13
8" for me! I was ground hunting in a small patch of oaks during the rut. I heard deer coming from my left, I eased up into shooting position waiting for them to come by. I was leaning on an 8" oak when the buck and doe blew past me, rubbing against my oak tree in the process. Super cool to have em run by while WHILE DOWNWIND OF ME. Didn't phase em a bit. I thought the buck was nice enough to take home, that doe disagreed and just kept on jogging!

24-Sep-13
8 yards. I was sitting on a log in a full ghillie. He never knew I was there. I had no shot and let him walk away unaware.

It was awesome!!!!

24-Sep-13

CTCrow's embedded Photo
CTCrow's embedded Photo
I had a small doe lay down right under my stand for about half hour. She looked up the tree and though something was there but she didn't see me.

Hunting from a blind, i had a spike sniffing my blind and actually touching it with his nose.

24-Sep-13

FullCryHounds's embedded Photo
FullCryHounds's embedded Photo
You should have said "wild" deer, not live deer.

24-Sep-13
Totally wild deer about 4 maybe 5 inches. I was sitting on a stonewall and having a mid morning snack, peanut butter and a banana sandwich when this young doe comes walking right up to me and I gave her a piece of the bread with peanut butter on it. Would have been an easy shot but who needs to kill a deer that way. We said our goodbyes and I moved on to my favorite swamy area.

Stay well !!

24-Sep-13
I never caught any live ones but caught a bunch of on there way to be dead ones...knifed a bunch of guy shot ones...just dived on top and got controll of the head...if I ever get my claws on one its over...never had one escape.

24-Sep-13
On Aug. 28 we had a doe come into camp and lick my buddy's gator aid bottle while he was sitting in a chair.

24-Sep-13
I've grabbed one by the antlers, rifle shot to the head had only knocked him out.......that whole deal didn't work out so well.

24-Sep-13
A friend of mine who is a taxidermist has a pet buck with trophy genetics. Last summer I was over the and he waslicking my hand through the fence, tthen he put his head down and I grabbed his main beam. He wanted to spar with his head so grabbed the other beam and he kept pushing towards me. What I was surprised to witness is how warm the rack is in velvet. Makes sense because there's blood, but who is used to holding a rack that has atemperature. At times he'd hop around like a playful dog.

24-Sep-13
Had gotten a little carried away with the cow elk urine and was honking on a cow call and walked up on bull calf. He and I walked together side by side for about 1/4 mile towards a bugling bull. The bull (small 6x6) and a cow (calf's mother?)were ahead of us on the trail. We went through a gate and they all headed uphill. I was unable to keep up as they had 4 wheel drive and I didn't. I bet I could have become that little bull's best friend.

Another day while pursuing a bugling bull to try to get a photo of him I ran into a fork horned mule deer. At 2 feet I stopped and asked him where he was 2 weeks ago when he was legal. He of course didn't answer, but didn't run away either.

Terry

24-Sep-13
Had a doe get my boot wet with the tip of her nose once. I shot her about 30 seconds later.

25-Sep-13
had a spine shot doe kick the livin @#$% outta me once, so...too close!

25-Sep-13
He wrestles more than alligators. Simply amazing.

25-Sep-13
Had a doe sniff me while hunting, and had a fawn walk right up to me in the summer one time.

25-Sep-13
I've told this story before but I will tell it again.

Roughly 19-20 years ago I was living in Loveland, Ohio not far from where the GREAT Boubound grew up!

I WORKED FROM 6AM UNTIL 2:30PM AND THIS GAVE ME A FEW HOURS TO EVENING HUNT ACROSS THE STREET FROM MY HOUSE.

(Sorry for the caps but not retyping)

We used to have urban zones in Ohio and you could take 6 additional deer with those permits. Doe only

Well at the time I had a girl living with me named Heather. I was late getting to the stand and she said she would have dinner ready just at dark.

Well I walked up to the tree I usually hunt out of and looked across the creekbed and thought to myself to try a different tree.

I walk over part of the way up the bank and I take off my then Loggy Bayou treestand. I set it down and as I am unfastening the band I heard something up the hill.

I already had the stand laying on the ground so I just stop and pause for a minute I hear footsteps getting closer.

I slowly look from behind the tree and I see a yearling deer that may weigh about 60 lbs. At the time I weighed in about 175 lbs. It walks within 6 inches of my tree and stops!

I stood there frozen behind the tree. The deer walked down and stopped with its head about 2 feet in front of me and its rump behind me.

So here I am in my late 20's thinking to myself "Kelly you have been in a shit loads of bar fights and this should be easy!"

So I look for the exact place to grab this deer. The right arm over the nearest shoulder and the left arm behind the deers left shoulder and I would make a perfect tackle on this 60 lbs deer! Easy enough correct????

Well when I leaped the deer did not jump but it turned and looked at me.Its eyes turned as big as softballs. I grappled this deer exactly where I wanted to! I remember thinking this was easier than I expected.

Well when the deer went down I heard the deer bawl very loud and the deer also tried to bite me! (I was not expecting that!)

Needless to say I had a huge smile on my face that I had actually wrestled down a live deer bare handed. This lasted a total of about 1/100,000,000th of a second!!!!!

The deer started kicking the living hell out of me! front hooves back hooves it didnt matter I was taking my first ever ass whooping of my adult life! What was amazing is how much the deer tried to bite me!

Well thank God for involuntary reflexes because I was determined to hold onto this deer. Well what seemed like minutes most likely wasnt even five seconds! The harder I tried to hang onto this deer the more my body hurt and I could feel my pectoral muscles going numb?

Than God for those involuntary muscles because my mind said hold on and my body said let the hell go you dummy!!!!

The deer ran off bawling blowing and snorting and I layed in the leaves laughing like crazy!

I climbed the tree and was a little sore. I had realized the deer peed all over me. I didnt see a deer the rest of the evening!

I went down the hill had dinner and Heather decides to get frisky on the couch. She never liked the fighting I did with my buddy Mark and was always scared about it.

Well she pulls my shirt off and starts crying like crazy!!! I said "Babe what the hell is wrong with you" She looked at me pointing at my chest and said "Who kicked your ass so bad and why didnt you tell me? You told me you never get hurt!"

I looked down and I have about 12-13 perfect DEEP and I mean Deep bruises on my chest, stomach, and thighs the perfect impression of a deers hoof!

Needless to say I didnt get any four legged or two legged doe that night :0)

Anyhoot that's as close as I ever got to a live deer and now I hope to never get that close again!!!!!

25-Sep-13

2treestands's embedded Photo
2treestands's embedded Photo
This close

25-Sep-13
Nobody can top that. I love it! LOL

25-Sep-13
I have been in contact with several distressed deer over the years. The closest I have been to an undisturbed deer was about two feet. I entered a bedding area before daylight one year. I got upon a fallen hemlock log and waited. As the daylight was starting to allow me to see shapes I heard chewing. A doe had somehow bedded at my feet and was chewing her cud. I didn't see or sense her when she came in but I watched her leave. When she sensed me several minutes later she stiffened and stood up she didn't move quickly. She simply drifted out of sight one small step at a time.

26-Sep-13
In the wind on foot, about 6 feet, out of a stand 6 feet, however being that close usually does not result in a favorable outcome. Missed from about 3 feet one time do to one small willow branch! Seems impossible! lol

26-Sep-13
I saw a doe once in Northern MI when driving down the road. Some people were out in the road and the deer was standing in the ditch. I stopped and was able to walk up and pet it. The people there wanted to take it into their garage so no one would shoot it when hunting started up in a few days time. I told them if they did that they would regret it and the deer would die.

It was cool being able to pet a wild deer. Its different that's for sure. Once I touched it I would not have been able to shoot it. Maybe it escaped from a game farm or something but it was pretty neat.

In the wild while hunting I was arms length from a spike and never got a shot off. It was a rookie mistake. Dummy me I spun around and looked through the rifle scope and saw nothing but streaking brown. when I pulled away to see and reset it had already covered about 70 yards and was hauling the mail. My dad wanted to beat me for such a bone head move. ha ha.

TBH

TBH

26-Sep-13
Had a doe sniff my foot while I was set up calling to a turkey one year.

26-Sep-13
Had a cow elk stop next to me at 2 feet, had a small buck whitetail at 5 yards, a nice P&Y muley buck at 4 yards, and I snuck up on a sleeping hen turkey and reached down and touched her on the tail feathers.

26-Sep-13
My first or second year of hunting i Had a spike muley at arms length sneak up behind me.i noticed him first, and he past by me, but I started shaking so bad when I tried to draw the ole xx75 back that it rattled against the bow shelf and spooked him. Lost a lot of sleep over that one. Have had a few elk come right up to me, usually bulls during a cow hunt.. But the "closest" was a big 4 point muley I'd hit with an errant shot in the jugular. It went down in about 30 yards and I thought it was done. I just walked over and grabbed a horn to drag him by... And it turned out he wasn't done after all, and what was left of him didn't appreciate me disrupting his life passing before his eyes. I had to try to do kind of a full Nelson move on him behind his horns without getting gored until he was done. I got beat up a bit and squirted down with blood. When I got home my wife asked me if any of it was mine, and I wasn't really sure at the time. Spanky ain't doin that agin.

mule deer archery harvest sept 2007 photo daledeerrejoined-Copy.jpg

26-Sep-13
Nice buck, Nij. Where'd you get him?

27-Sep-13
Old sarge, pm sent

27-Sep-13
There is a video on You Tube of a moose licking a hunters broadhead on his arrow while he sat holding his bow.

TBH

27-Sep-13
I was hiking with my dog once and she came up on a bedded doe that proceeded to take off, but right at me out of the bushes. She flew by within inches of me, I felt the wind from her as she came by - scared the crap out of me.

Rattled in a big mulie buck my first year bow hunting that came in from my side stomping and snorting. He knew I was in the manzanita bushes, but hadn't seen me and came in ready to fight. I thought he was going to gore me and actually put out my bow in front of me and yelled when he was just on the other side of the bush.

He bounded off 20 yards and stood there broadside, scratching at the ground and snorting. I put an arrow in his guts and never saw him again.

Biggest hunting regret of my life, but I'm a better shot and hunter today because of that experience.

27-Sep-13
Pretty cool, 2treestands and fullcryhounds.

27-Sep-13

MNRazorhead's embedded Photo
MNRazorhead's embedded Photo
I was on a long weekend hunting trip and never saw a deer from this stand...until I went in to take it down on the last day and didn't bring my bow. The only time I was in this stand without it. Somehow, they knew it and proceeded to mill around under me for 15 minutes. There is a lesson there somewhere.

27-Sep-13
While actually hunting not that close may be 8-10yds. Once my neighbor called me and told me about a buck in his cornfield that had been shot and had a broken front leg. I got about 3 ft from him and he snorted and and got back on his feet and ran off a little ways. Called the game warden and he came out and put the deer down.

27-Sep-13
Deer.....I could feel her breath on my neck for about a minute until she figured out that rock smelled bad.

Antelope...3 feet.

Elk. 2 feet.

Wild hogs...5 feet.

Nothing better than getting that close.

28-Sep-13
I was taking a walk in the woods and had a fawn step out in front of me, she came over and put her nose right on my sneaker, she turned and ran off. I like to think it was the snort of her mother and not the smell of my sneakers that sent her on her way. I also had 2 fox kits come into my campsite, one jumped up into my lap calm as could be, the other laid down at my feet like one of my dogs at home. They stayed about 5 minutes then left for their den which was about 15 feet behind my tent.

29-Sep-13

Justin Davis's embedded Photo
Justin Davis's embedded Photo
Wild Mule deer doe in my backyard

29-Sep-13
Many years ago I called a fawn to me by making squeaky/kiss sounds all the way until it touched my fingers then it bolted. Another time while camo'd out in a bush I had a spike blacktail within 2 feet of me. It kept exhaling/snorting and I could feel the air on my face.

29-Sep-13
Close enough I could of/should of pulled some hair off his rump. Never happened before or since.

30-Sep-13
Had a young doe step over my legs squirrel hunting one morning. Too afraid to move.

30-Sep-13
I was sent this by my friend hammer a while back and for those who have not seen it is funny,

TBH

Why we shoot deer in the wild: (A letter from someone who wants to remain anonymous, who farms, writes well and actually tried this)

I had this idea that I could rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it. After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up-- 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold.

The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it, it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope, and then received an education. The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer EXPLODED. The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity. A deer-- no Chance. That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined. The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual. Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in. I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when ..... I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and slide off to then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head--almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective.

It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it. While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp... I learned a long time ago that, when an animal - like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run. The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away. So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a scope......to sort of even the odds!!

All these events are true so help me God...An Educated Farmer

10-Oct-13

nijimasu's Link
I think you guys ill like this video.

11-Oct-13
When spring turkey hunting in Ohio several years ago I had a adult buck whitetail come up to the tree I was sitting against and stiff my boots. He never acted like he knew what I was.

Hunt the wind. Gottoohunt

11-Oct-13
Poked a yearling buck with my rifle barrel one winter, as we were walking opposite directions on a two track road. He exploded so quick I had to go searching for tracks in the snow to see what direction he had actually gone. Didn't know if he jumped over the bank or over my head he just exploded and was gone.

oz

11-Oct-13
I snuck up to a fence to glass at the same time a big doe was heading back to the woods.She ended up jumping over me as I croutched in the grass

10-Aug-17
I've had deer come up to the base of the tree and smell the steps that I used to climb up. One time I was sitting in a makeshift blind, stood up to take a pee and in the middle of it, I heard some brush breaking behind me and a small 6 point buck (3x3) stopped right behind my chair. He was VERY surprised to see me, he paused and went out the way he came.

I had a young turkey almost touch my boot as I was sitting on the edge of a field. I've also had turkeys brush up against my blind, I could have reached out and grabbed one by the neck.

10-Aug-17
Only listing animals in OTC hunting areas -45 inch 2 brow moose (sub-legal) called in to about 10 paces wanting to **** or fight before he circled downwind and realized he was duped. Probably the single coolest thing I have ever done outdoors. Could never get a good look at the spread so I had to crash through alders to get into a position before he left so I broke limbs and grunted as i moved and he intercepted me at the edge of the thicket. -Whitetail yearling but no spots about 2 feet -Dall sheep- Ewe smelled my hand and a 7/8ths curl ram ran behind her and bowed up on me about 30 feet away a week before season started. -Black bear-5 feet from blind

10-Aug-17
Petted a wild born pet. A step or two is the closest I've been to a wild one on the ground. Taken pictures of newborns I could have picked up.

10-Aug-17
I made the mistake of hand feeding a young doe some apples in late winter. To my friends delight, she jumped on my back and tried to kick the crap out of me. I was laughing so hard I couldn't move out from under her, luckily she wasn't too big and I eventually was able to push her off me.

10-Aug-17
I was working years ago and leaned against a fence post, a whitetail fawn let out a bleat right at my feet. We looked at it for a minute and then left so we didn't upset mom too much.

My first year hunting in Colorado I had a full curl bighorn ram walk within 10 feet of me, never knew I was there. I didn't realize how cool that was at the time.

10-Aug-17

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
We really enjoy our spring walks in mid-late May.

10-Aug-17
Wow old thread rebirth, like it. In PA we cannot legally hunt Sundays (absurd). Let's just say that has resulted in a couple rodeos involving bucks and buck knives. Real safe, wholesome activity. Had a button buck walk up within touching distance last fall. When I was in my teens had a doe run into an orchard fence less than 10 feet from me on a drive in flintlock season. She broke her neck and never twitched once. My dad was awfully confused when he walked up and I was standing over a deer without shooting.

10-Aug-17
I was standing up against a big oak and had a doe stick her head around the tree. Her head was right at my boot.

My wife (Pre- 5 kids) loved photography. One evening she was out getting pictures of deer. A big doe came toward her through some tall timothy hay, My wife hunkered down and waited till the doe's head was like 2' away and clicked the pic...Talk about a COOL pic. We still have it somewhere.

10-Aug-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Pretty close

10-Aug-17
Interesting that these old threads are being resurrected. Since I'm old and can't remember breakfast it's like reading a new thread again!

10-Aug-17
Jaq, kinda like groundhog day without a memory!!!

Tapped a young whitetail doe on the but when I was young and watched a mature cow elk step on a buddies pant leg. Nearly got run over by a bull moose that didn't know he was dead in Alaska. Good times!

10-Aug-17
had one about 4 inches from the end of my broadhead she didn't know I was there cool experience

10-Aug-17
Here in Wisconsin this spring, I was playing golf on a course that runs through some really beautiful bluff country. A natural rock wall runs about 70 yards along the back of a bunker I was just short of.

I looked up and saw a fawn running along that wall right at me, about 50 yards away. Not wanting to freak it out, I froze. It kept coming straight towards me, panting like a dog...I thought maybe coyotes busted him out.

Anyway...1 more step and it would have run into me. Stopped within inches, looked me right in the eyes, and turned into the wall. I remained motionless and it finally ran down to the end of the wall and cut into the woods. I felt bad for the poor little $#! ¥.

I looked back, and there was mom watching the whole thing.

10-Aug-17
Picked a fawn out of Rainy Lake. It was about 1/4 mile behind it's mom and I thought I'd give it a lift. BIG MISTAKE. It took about 20 minutes for me to feel my fingers it kicked me so hard.

Picked one up that hid behind a scraper tire after my Boykin Spaniel herded it to the yard.

11-Aug-17

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Fawn behind archery backstop
Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Fawn behind archery backstop
Stepped on the neck and head of a doe that my buddy shot to see if it was finished. I t was dark , and yeah the doe wasn't finished so had to stick it with a knife before it threw me off my feet.

Have handled numerous road-kill s that's weren't quite dead, plus had one a few inches away from me while snoozing in a ground blind. Probably heard snoring and came close to investigate.

This spring we had fawns bedding behind the archery backstop. Found out , AFTER we shot a round and were pulling arrows.

11-Aug-17
A young doe licked my boot once. A few times I was in touching distance of doe. One time, I slapped one on the butt. She turned and kicked nearly hitting me in the face with a hind hoof.

11-Aug-17

Unchained's embedded Photo
My dad had a buck follow him back to our cabin while he was walking the dog. He said the buck stuck around for about a half hour while my dad pulled ticks off of it, and the buck played with the dog.

11-Aug-17

11-Aug-17

11-Aug-17
Walking out to my spot for the afternoon. I was running late but it was early season so I still had a couple hours of light. There is a grass berm that's used as a road for the combine to get from a big field to a smaller field. I get to that road. I'm at one end and a mature doe is at the other. We slowly walked toward one another until we were 15 yds apart. I stopped and set my bow on the ground. She walked up and let me pet her like a dog! After a few minutes we went our separate ways.

I had two fawns walk past me at arms reach.

My son killed his first buck last year at less than five yards from the ground.

While on a job site a few years back we had a tame doe walk up to us and let us pet her. My boss at the time called the cops thinking she was sick. A female cop walked her into a field and shot her in the head. This was a subdivision and I'm sure she was just a tame deer that had been fed by the neighbors. She didn't seem sick at all. I was not happy with that cop to say the least.

11-Aug-17
I kicked a mule deer doe once - 100% wild, nothing tame at all about her, just in the right place and time :)

11-Aug-17
After a light rainstorm, I was stalking around in moccasins, when I spotted a doe with it's head in a bush grazing. I was able to sneak up directly behind her, and slap her tail. She practically turned inside out lol !

11-Aug-17
Sitting in a pop-up blind in SD. Had Mule Deer does brush against the blind. Surprisingly did not spook from the noise.

11-Aug-17
convinced a doe to eat a slice of bread from my hand.

stepped on a bear denned up in a brush pile hunting rabbits. Luckily for both of us he ran out the opposite side.

11-Aug-17
Pretty early in my bowhunting experience, I was hunting in some pines along the west edge of a winter wheat field that drew deer in during all times of the autumn. Nothing had shown up that morning in late October, so I was packing up my stool and bow when a pretty decent 8 point came out of the north edge about 25 yards out. He must have seen me moving around as he came straight towards the pine tree and was soon standing on the other side peering in. ....about 3 yards.

About 7-8 years ago hunting locally in our December late season, I was again just inside the edge of a big pine stand at the corner where several trails converged. I was looking out and heard a sound behind me. Just in time I caught movement as a button buck was running from something towards the same gap in the trees where I was standing. I felt like a matador as I spun hard to the left and the deer burst through grazing my rear end. THAT was pretty close......LOL

12-Aug-17
I cut a fence wire to free a doe that had got her leg caught. Put my hand on the doe a couple of times. Thought I was going to have to take her out but as I approached with the kbar, she got the idea and hopped away. Had to kill one doe that was hit on the road once, only had a fillet knife.

13-Aug-17
Wild ones?

I had one touch my hand with it's nose once.

14-Aug-17
I know I'm gonna catch crap for this claim, but I grabbed a mature, bedded doe by the ear and cut her throat with a skinning knife once

14-Aug-17
I got the living s $%t kicked out of me by a doe mule deer, she had a dog collar on and wandered into the yard, my cousin and i both got to pet her and suchbut when i stopped and turned my back she whooped me good! My mom still has it on an old home film she brought it out to show my wife awhile back.

• Sitka Gear