drycreek 11-Aug-17
TMA1010 28-Aug-17
TMA1010 28-Aug-17
TMA1010 29-Aug-17
BOHUNTER09 29-Aug-17
Dozer 03-Dec-17
t-roy 03-Dec-17
09-Aug-17
I am considering getting a Genesis no till drill but there are no dealers in my state. I am looking for feedback from people who either have or have used one. Any positive or negative feedback would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you like.

I would be using this primarily for small seed species like clovers or brassicas but would do some beans and corn early in the season.

Thanks for any input.

10-Aug-17
I just picked up the 5 foot version, 3 point hitch attachment this past summer. I planted some late soybeans with it and it works great. Super heavy duty piece of equipment. The drill ended up costing somewhere around $12k, but the new tractor I'm going to need to buy to pick it up is going to be a bit more expensive! I have a 57 horse Kubota that has never had an issue with anything, it's rated to pick up 3,800 lbs on the 3-point hitch and when I pick up the Genesis Drill the front tires come off the ground. I could probably get some suitcase weights and try to balance it out, but I need a new slightly bigger tractor for some other uses on the farm as well so it's a good excuse to pull the trigger on that. But just be aware, it's a heavy piece of equipment but it's a super solid, well though out foodplot drill. I'm excited to see what it does next spring in a no-till application of beans in corn stubble. I have no idea what I'll do with all of the time I'm going to save by not having to till the old corn twice before planting, but I'm sure I'll figure out something... :)

10-Aug-17
Can someone post a photo of the drill?

10-Aug-17

Mad_Angler's Link
Link

10-Aug-17
TMA, the weight and the $12k are the only reasons I haven't bought one !

10-Aug-17

XMan's embedded Photo
XMan's embedded Photo
wow, 12K.... I could see if we were all farmers trying to make a living. LOL How about going old school, here's mine that I bought for 2K. Its an old JD, was a 10 that a friend cut in half. Works outstanding and built to last three lifetimes, has three different seed trays and depth adjustments etc. Just a thought on saving some major coin.

10-Aug-17
Bob, It looks like you are pulling that with an ATV?

If you have a tractor did you cut it down to fit in small plots? I would love to have one but have not seen the cost that low. Thanks.

10-Aug-17
Drycreek - don't get me wrong. It's a great piece of equipment, but make sure your tractor can handle it. I have a Sukup Wild Game Drill (basically a drill that will work on a tilled seedbed) and an old John Deere drill like the pic in XMan's post. They don't compare to what the Genesis will do, but it's heavy. Pat - I'll post some pics when I get home (in Nashville for the weekend - Wildhorse has been fun so far!!). Pics will be posted Sunday evening.

11-Aug-17
yes Frank I pull it with my ATV and sometime a friends tractor. Its a heavy SOB but easily maneuverable with either machine and something I can move on my own. At a total span of 6 feet from axle to axle it goes pretty much anywhere. Need to attend the auctions, that's where all this old equipment goes dirt cheap! The farmers dont want it :)

11-Aug-17
Thanks. Have not found anything locally.

11-Aug-17
Hard to find anything when you live in the pine tree and cattle country. I've only ever seen one drill in my life in East Texas.

28-Aug-17

TMA1010's embedded Photo
TMA1010's embedded Photo
TMA1010's embedded Photo
The front cutter discs for no-till.
TMA1010's embedded Photo
The front cutter discs for no-till.
TMA1010's embedded Photo
The rear packer wheels.
TMA1010's embedded Photo
The rear packer wheels.
TMA1010's embedded Photo
The hopper with integral seed agitator.
TMA1010's embedded Photo
The hopper with integral seed agitator.
Guys - I finally got out to the farm and took a few pics of the Genesis 5. Like I mentioned before it's a beast of a piece of equipment. Built very solidly, but is heavy. I'll also say the guys at RTP Outdoors were fantastic to deal with.

28-Aug-17

TMA1010's embedded Photo
The stand legs for when in storage are very well designed.
TMA1010's embedded Photo
The stand legs for when in storage are very well designed.
TMA1010's embedded Photo
This baby weighs 1176 kg (just under 2,600 lbs) empty. I think it'll hold about 5 bushels of grain for planting, so figure another 250-300 lbs when fully loaded.
TMA1010's embedded Photo
This baby weighs 1176 kg (just under 2,600 lbs) empty. I think it'll hold about 5 bushels of grain for planting, so figure another 250-300 lbs when fully loaded.

28-Aug-17
That looks well built. What size tractor are you thinking you need?

29-Aug-17
I think it's more about the lifting capacity of the tractor on the 3-point arms. My Kubota L5740 (57 hp) was able to pick it up off the ground, but the problem was that the front end of the tractor came up with it. I may look at getting some suitcase weights for the front of the tractor, but I'd also been wanting an excuse to get another tractor so I can have the tiller hooked up to one and the drill hooked up to another and not have to switch between everything so often. Right now I'm checking out the used Kutbota M7040's (70 hp) - I think that would do the trick.

I know that the Genesis guys offer a hydraulic tire set-up that will assist with the lift and if a guy wasn't sure if his tractor could handle it that would be the way to go. Once it's in the ground it's no problem pulling it.

29-Aug-17
Our local Rural King store has a 60 inch 3 point hitch Field Tuff seeder on sale now for about $1500. It looks pretty nice

03-Dec-17
I bought a genesis eight with the no till cultures they are not made right they turn at an angle and dig a furl which leaves the seabed wide open exposing the seed The guys from Genesis came to look at it said there was nothing they could do not very impressed

03-Dec-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Here’s a pic of my McCormick 7’ drill with 2 seed boxes that I got off Craig’slist for $300. Seemed to work very well. I used it for the first time this year, so I’m just starting to get it figured out.

• Sitka Gear