Brun 25-Aug-17
OldnGrumpy 25-Aug-17
Pi 25-Aug-17
Jaquomo 25-Aug-17
Bowriter 26-Aug-17
SteveB 28-Aug-17
APauls 28-Aug-17
18-Aug-17
I've always started taking chlorophyll pills about a month before our deer season comes in here in Ohio.figured some internal scent control can't hurt.anybody use internal scent control in their hunting regimen.thanks,dan

18-Aug-17
I do. Started about a week ago

18-Aug-17
Be prepared for some new experiences on the John.

Lots of water gents.

18-Aug-17
Chlorophyll? More like borophyll!!

18-Aug-17
Haha need to watch that movie again sometime soon.

Can someone explain the chlorphyll scent control to me please? I don't get it.

18-Aug-17
Thank you Miss Lippy!

18-Aug-17
At what point does your skin start to turn green????

18-Aug-17
That was real popular 25 years ago. Those pills will change you:)

I use Smarmouth now to eliminate sulphur in my breath.

18-Aug-17
I start taking them about 10 days before the season, seems to help.

Did the Hulk take too many pills????????????

18-Aug-17
I just eat copious amounts of bean dip. With all the hunters these days manscaping, using scent control spray and clothing, ozone and cover scents game animals have no idea that the aroma I produce is coming from a human predator - they just think a skunk is nearby LOL.

18-Aug-17
Smarba, that's funny bud!

18-Aug-17
12 oz water and a teaspoon of baking soda cleanses the innards and 12 oz water and teaspoon of lemon juice keeps the kidney stones away.

About 1 week before hunting season reduce your red meat intake and eat a lot more greens.

Happy hunting

18-Aug-17
What do they do to help you?

18-Aug-17
Kelly, they make you feel better about yourself. As far as reducing scent? Like pissing in the ocean. They do nothing to stop the gas produced by the 73 billion (give or take) little animals living on the outside of our skin. That massive gas factory is where the majority of human scent originates.

But if it makes you more confident, go for it! Won't hurt you except for maybe a little bit of a raw mouth and green poop.

Me, I just swallow one of those H.S. Scent wafers every day, in the flavor of whatever I'm hunting at the moment. Sure seems to work, but coming out the other end can be an adventure.

18-Aug-17
My wife is sitting here laughing at you folks. She says you all are nutts.

18-Aug-17
I feel like I could take these and then after I hike to the top of a mountain it all goes out the windo! I just hunt the wind

18-Aug-17
just eat lots of cream sweet corn, deer love it.

18-Aug-17
"She says you all are nutts."

That reminds me, I need to manscape this weekend;)

19-Aug-17
Jaq, don't tell anyone but the trick is to get the bacteria to eat the chlorophyll. Then you can forget the wind and just hunt. I should see if I can patent that phrase, seems catchy!

I went through all that scent control phase many years ago. Actually picked up army issue carbon chemical suits before scent blocker! I had much better success. Then I realized I was just playing the wind better and spending more money. To each there own.

19-Aug-17
I think about chlorophyll in the treestand. Then I remember I'm in the same clothes I hunted in the last two days, I walked across the gas station parking lot this morning in the boots I'm wearing and I just took a leak off the side of the stand. Then I go back to talking myself out of getting down, heading back to camp and fixing a big plate of bacon and eggs.

19-Aug-17
Gotta admit, lime green poop IS pretty cool! Like a fresh cow pie, only....different.

19-Aug-17
" it all goes out the windo! "

Justin... hopefully it all MAKES it out the window........

19-Aug-17
Would you be willing to try something that sounds ridiculous but works? Use your wife or some other person as a test. #1-Quit using ANY type of deodorant-nothing. #2-Shower and wash your hair at least once a day with a totally unscented soap. That is all. No pills, nothing else. Now give this two weeks, maybe three. If you do, I bet you this. You will never use any deodorant again-unless you want to smell pretty for the girls-and being detected by wildlife will be as good or better than you have ever seen. No, this is not a joke. I have been using this method for close to five years. After a couple weeks, your body odor will suddenly be almost gone to the human nose. Not kidding. But first couple days you will stink like a dead rat. Then, it just goes away.

You must also follow some rules for your clothing, especially your hat. #1-Wash in cold water in unscented detergent and air dry in bright sunlight whenever possible. Store in unscented bag or suitable container. Nothing else. No spray of any kind. #2-Wash daily if you only have one set. Go to the woods clean. #3- Wear gloves walking in and out and I use disposable, exam gloves. #4- Wade creek in your hunting shoes or boots and allow to sun dry. Wear them for nothing else. I wear tennis shoes most of the year.

For quite some time, the above is all the scent control, I have practiced. I don''t have many, that I am aware of, blow me out and because of where I live, I pay no attention to the wind direction. About 90% of the time, it is either swirling or will change three times in the first hour. I'm serious. Try it and ask your wife's opinion. Oh...once or twice a week, I do use an unscented conditioner on what hair I have left. Unscented Dial is my soap and shampoo.

19-Aug-17

Mainer's embedded Photo
Mainer's embedded Photo
I just pop a couple of these every day........become one of them.

19-Aug-17
Mainer I think Mountainhouse makes those..... or is it Mountainside where those are made? :)

19-Aug-17
I'm guessing after taking those that the deer can't smell your feet after walking a half mile in wool socks and 1200 gram thinsulate boots? I haven't even gotten to the arm pits yet.

19-Aug-17
Get your manscaping in early. Gives the razor burn and chaffing time to go away. Also good idea to clip your toes and fingers a week early in case you get some irritation! As far as no deodorant...good luck making it a week.

19-Aug-17
Bowriter, I use unscented deodorant and soap/shampoo year round. There is no way I'm going even one day without deodorant if I can help it.

19-Aug-17
Never heard of this one before....

20-Aug-17
Yes, the first week is tough. But the odor does go away after a week or 10-days. This is what I was told and it makes sense. Deodorant, any of them, has a clogging affect on your pores. Therefore, it stores the odor causing bacteria, to some degree. It takes some time for that to be "flushed". After that, regular showering and washing will keep the bacteria to a minimum far below what it is when using a deodorant. So, if you are on an extended fishing trip or anything where you are not around people, stop using a deodorant and see what happens. But...the key is daily showering or washing. A steam room or sauna on a regular basis also helps "flush" the pores. Seriously. I use absolutely nothing along those lines and not one person, even close family members, has ever said a word.

20-Aug-17
Had a new guy on our construction crew once who told us he only needed to shower once a week since he had no body odor because of some special cleansing diet.

So his crew drove around with the truck windows down until somebody finally told him he stunk.

20-Aug-17
Best to avoid the antiperspirants: http://www.antiperspirantsinfo.com/en/antiperspirants-and-deodorants/about-antiperspirants-and-deodorants.aspx

They are kind of like put aluma-seal in your radiator. Deoderants are ok

20-Aug-17
I can't take it that serious any more. Watch the wind and have fun.

20-Aug-17
Bowriter/John challenged me on the no deodorant thing several years ago and I tried it. Works well 95% of the time. I was already using non scented soap/shampoo daily year round, as well as non scented shaving cream. Not only do my pits rarely smell, my body odor has dropped considerably and my own sense of smell has gotten very good.

I ride bikes year round, so I sweat a lot doing so, and the only time my wife ever says anything about odor is when I walk in the door after riding all sweated up.

20-Aug-17
Well, there you have it. Ironbow tried it and it worked. Now, here is one tip you may or not buy into. No matter what direction the wind is from, there are scent "tendrils" that may go any direction. You can prove this with a smoked bomb or one of those float in the air thingies. So, if a deer-or any scenting animal-get in the right place to scent that tendril, you are toast. There is not one thing-nothing-you can do to keep an animals from smelling you, if, they are in the right place, at the right time. You can spend tens of thousands on every product on the market and you will still get busted.

20-Aug-17
Hmmm I will stick with non scented tide clothes detergent, non scented shampoo, non scented soap, non scented deodorant and keep playing that ticket

20-Aug-17
Haha! Don't believe everything you read on the internet!

(You'll be crappie' green for a long time - ain't worth it)

21-Aug-17
I take chlorophyll before the season too. What can it hurt? Might help? It's not expensive, gets good reviews and has been used as an "internal deodorizer" for ages.

21-Aug-17
Reminds me of the cartoon caveman bringing a woman over to his friend's cave. "I taught her to talk. What can it hurt?"

Seriously, if it makes you feel better, go for it. I'm going to sacrifice a virgin today to make the sun come back out. They've been doing that for ages too, and it is proven to work.

21-Aug-17
Reminds of the joke about the guy who couldn't keep a job, a wife, friends, etc. because he had a farting problem but the guy didn't understand why it was such a big deal because he said that his farts don't stink.

He went to the doctor and told the doctor that he had a farting problem but his farts don't stink. The doctor said he could fix him right up but it would require surgery. After the surgery the guy farted and he started complaining about the terrible stench and he said "I thought you were going to fix my problem" and the doctor said "I did, I fixed your nose..."

21-Aug-17
Dogs have an amazing sense of smell. The have roughly 220 million smell receptors and have been trained to smell cancer in patients before we can detect it medically. They can detect seizures in some people 45 minutes before they occur. Our language not detailed enough to express everything that a dog can smell. And deer have 297 million receptors and have a better nose than dogs. Incredible.

There is nothing wrong with reducing the amount of odor that we give off, but if we think that we are becoming scentless we are only kidding ourselves. Hunt the wind.

23-Aug-17
Drop Tine x2. No way I'm going to take pills and mess with my body. You get those from the lumbersexual department at the local drug mart?

23-Aug-17
Droptine I agree with you 100%. My scent control theory is based on the fact that where I hunt deer smell humans nearly every day of their lives and if not every day at the very least 2-3x a week. So they again in my opinion and not fact, have learned to judge how close or far any predator or threat is to them based at least in part to the intensity of the odor unique to that predator or threat. The closer the threat say under several hundred yards the more intense the odor is and therefore the threat demands the deer take immediate action. However I believe if a deer smells a human and it's scent receptors tell it the intensity is small again my theory not fact, that the human is sufficiently far enough away that it doesn't pose a significant enough threat to cause the deer to flee or otherwise alter it's present travel direction or course of action. Think about it for a moment, does anyone think every time a deer gets even the slightest hint of human scent they are going to flee for their lives or leave their security bedding area? No I personally think they do not. I'm not talking when a human is a few hundreds of yards from a deer when the wind them. No I mean when a big mature buck is in his core bedding area or is up and moving naturally and he detects human scent the intensity of which tells him the human is far enough away that is doesn't cause him to take action and doesn't increase in intensity at all, I believe that deer will continue to do what ever they are doing so long as the intensity of the scent doesn't increase or some other danger factor also occurs that will then cause a bucks survival instincts to kick in. So My scent control protocol is based on I hope I can reduce my scents level of intensity to the point a deer when he smells me briefly due to a momentary but not sustained change in wind direction will not consider me a threat significant enough to alter his travel and I loose my shot opportunity. Just my thoughts on the matter.

23-Aug-17
You guys can laugh all you want, but with many years of using chlorophyll tablets, I'm convinced that they help reduce odors coming from our bodys. The first thing that you have to remember that sweat bacteria isn't the only thing coming from your body that stinks. Chlorophyll will do nothing to help that. But chlorophyll will help with odors that escape from your arse, mouth, and pores.

23-Aug-17
Maybe this is stupid ... A chemical suit that is able to keep chemicals out aught to keep your stink in . And for breath , A charcoal filtered mask for the time before first light . and maybe a small filtered mask for all day .

Stupid or good ?

23-Aug-17
I've heard that keeping down wind of the game may work?

24-Aug-17
I have farted on stand before. I don't think any amount of chlorophyll is going to mask that. Although I also think if the deer smell it they're thinking: "there's no way that's human!" LOL

24-Aug-17
"I have farted on stand before." I had to laugh when I read that one. I'm pretty sure I have too, more than once!!!

24-Aug-17
I eat only yard clippings 1 week prior to the hunt.

25-Aug-17
Explain the mechanism of action on this stuff. Not that I would ever use it but I'm curious.

25-Aug-17
I think it's supposed to make you smell like a rabbit?

Some refer to it as breath control also, but it doesn't have any effect on the sulfur produced by tongue bacteria due to dry mouth during sleep or huffing and puffing while hunting. The "white stuff" on the back of the tongue. Only a tongue scraper and an enzyme neutralizer like Biotene or Orabrush will do that.

25-Aug-17
These days I take greater care with my own personal wind...... as you get older you learn that you just can't trust a fart as much as you used to.......

25-Aug-17
TD, OMG LMAO! No truer words that that!

25-Aug-17
I'm waiting for them to come out with Ozonic pills.

25-Aug-17
Once you hit 60 you should never trust a fart or waste a hard on... You should also hunt the wind whatever age you are.

25-Aug-17
I'm with Droptine and DartonJager. Funny how a relatively natural product that someone hasn't used gets ridiculed here, but the aresonol buggerjammer is praised? As the Kris K song goes, "everyone has to have somebody to look down on."

25-Aug-17
Extend a hose (garden variety will do) One up the tree and one down the tree. The down one has a grunt tube so your call comes from the ground level . The top hose ... well figure it out and don't get them mixed up.

25-Aug-17
OldGrumpy, many of us have tried chlorophyll tablets. Has about as much demonstrable effect as hanging a crystal around your neck. But like I said above, if it makes you feel better, eat chlorophyll, bury your clothes in dirt from your hunting area, wrap yourself in deer skins. Whatever.

Then bring some photos taken at 10 yards with the animals directly downwind of you when you're on the ground, and we'll have something tangible to discuss.

26-Aug-17
Can't pass this one up: Anyone who says they have never farted on a deer stand is a liar. Nuff said about that. Now. Many years ago, in an article I wrote for Bow and Arrow Magazine, I mentioned that the Mexican dinner the night before demanded I get down from my stand and make more room. This I did and I was only able to get about 15-yards from my tree. I climbed back up, much relieved and ten-minutes later, killed a nice eight-point. A while later, that same year, hunting with Steve Schoop at J&S outfitters in IA, a very similar thing happened. The owner of a scent company wrote one of the most scathing letters to the magazine, threatening all sorts of things. (Later I gave him an opportunity to make good on the threats and he declined.) But anyway, that article also spawned dozens of letters claiming the same thing. My policy, especially at my age is, "When Mother Nature calls, I answer." And I never waste a good fart. One of the true joys of old age is a dry fart with plenty of volume and tone change. Far more satisfying than killing a basket eight. I can always do that. And by the way, I feel a .......newspaper column coming on. :)

28-Aug-17
Bowrite: I shot my first archery buck with Steve Shoop at J&S many, many years ago. Great place!

28-Aug-17
....never trust a fart or waste a hard on... lmao!

• Sitka Gear