Deertick 22-Aug-17
tobywon 22-Aug-17
GhostBird 22-Aug-17
t-roy 22-Aug-17
APauls 22-Aug-17
wildwilderness 22-Aug-17
21-Aug-17
Trying to watch the eclipse here in Iowa. Mostly cloudy :-(

I was wondering how many guys are out west hunting right now, and what their experience was like. Did you see any unusual or increased activity?

21-Aug-17
I was looking at the eclipse and looked up to see a big buck pronghorn walking away

21-Aug-17

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
This was the view from my kindergarten daughters eclipse party. I don't know if the critters were phased.

21-Aug-17
I had a buck cross the road in front of me with half an arrow stuck in his horn just a few minutes after the eclipse.

21-Aug-17
I don't know how the hunting was, but the cicadas here started to sing during it. I've never heard them at mid-day--always at sundown and sunset.

It was a little eerie

21-Aug-17
I was expecting to see critters running around everywhere with the moon being directly overhead!

21-Aug-17
I'm getting reports in right now that the eclipse through the deer into full rut! It's going to be all over by 10/1!!!

21-Aug-17
Same thing here, Bake. That was cool as was seeing the stars and what I think was Venus and Jupiter. I had thought of it as an overhyped event. Hotel rooms were $800 last night. Insane. But it was pretty cool...since I only had to step into the back yard.

21-Aug-17
My yellow lab laid down and took a nap by my feet while I was watching. But she does that anyway...

Just to be safe I sacrificed a virgin to make the sun come back out, and it worked! You can all thank me later.

21-Aug-17
Where the heck did you find a virgin, Lou?

21-Aug-17
They cancelled school here. Something about looking out for the native culture because they can't go outside during the eclipse. Lol. So my Kindergartener stayed home with Mom, little sister, and arriving soon little sister.

21-Aug-17
Our view was similar to Links. And to think I've been looking forward to this since 1979. I guess I'll start looking forward to 2055 now. Thanks Jaq...Way to take one for the "team".

21-Aug-17
I blinked and missed it. Lou, sort of like your virgin story and "taking" one for the team. I will tell you what, the late 1960s and early 1970s were the real deal. Now if I can only remember what I did back then.

21-Aug-17
Jaq, I want one of those. They are hard to come by in wi.

I was on the golf course. It was completely cloudy here so I didn't see anything cool.

21-Aug-17
I was not hunting but had lines in the water. The fish did not get the memo that they were suppose to go into a feeding frenzy. Not even a bite

21-Aug-17
Unamazing here in grove city,Ohio.cloudy and muggy all day anyway,now its 17:00 hours and suns out.

21-Aug-17
Saw a good one in MO clouds parted right on time!

21-Aug-17
Drove 2 hours to southern Illinois. It was worth it. 2024 the middle of totality will be in my front yard

21-Aug-17
If you caught it at 95%, you really didn't see "it." Totality is something everyone needs to see. Very cool experience, luckily the clouds didn't screw us today.

22-Aug-17
I don't know... Looked like the Super Bowl for Super Dorks. People clapping and cheering for the moon? So excited they couldn't sleep? Really?

I took time out from organizing elk stuff to watch at 96% in the front yard. At the exact orgasmic moment I put my thumb over the sliver and made it 100%. Wow.

22-Aug-17
Had a wicked thunderstorm happen during it here in SD, the sky was a sickly looking green all the way around, pretty cool even without the sun.

22-Aug-17
I'm in Britain...I didn't see jack s*&%!! Who do I call for a refund?!

22-Aug-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Bowriter's embedded Photo
The standard totality shot. Viewing was great, here and well worth it. We even caught eight bass just prior to anchoring for the neck craning.

22-Aug-17
Viewed from a spot of totality atop a hill in the Laramie Mountains, south of Glenrock. I've never seen so many people up there. The human presence was actually really interesting to watch. At first, we were a little upset that so many people were in "our spot" ... but then realized that this is good news, because it meant that so many people said something like: "I'm not going to watch in a stadium in a city -- I'm getting back into Nowhere." It meant to me that there are still a LOT of folks who think like me, which makes me feel a little better about Humanity, LOL.

I thought it'd be a nothing-burger, but it was actually pretty neat ... where we were, we had a 360 degree view of the horizon. Nighthawks came out to fly.

My experience was that people either thought it was really cool, or no big deal -- there was no in-between. To those in the last group (which is where I was until about Saturday), I'd say lighten up. It was just a bunch of people having fun, not hurting anybody, and zoning out for a while.

Isn't that what they say about Colorado on most other days, Lou?

22-Aug-17

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
We had 68% coverage here and the clouds just opened up enough to see it. I was middle ground on it. Thought it was cool and worth taking it in, but if I missed it...it wouldn't have bothered me a bit. A few in the office took a couple of days off and traveled several hours to get a chance to see it in totality.

22-Aug-17
Hurt my neck!!!

22-Aug-17
The best part was that I finally got the instructions out and figured out how to use my auto-darkening welding helmet.

22-Aug-17
I don't know what it is about the eclipse people think the sun all of a sudden has super lasers and will burn your eyes out. Even the radio DJ is worried about her dog going outside and getting blinded. It's like jeez people it's the same flippin sun that's out there every day lol. This is what you get when you have generations in a row with no natural selection...

22-Aug-17
Took the kids to see the totality. Really amazing. Huge difference from 99% to 100!

I did notice way less deer on the road driving home last night through NW Colorado.

• Sitka Gear