Z Barebow 22-Aug-17
Glunt@work 22-Aug-17
Kurt 22-Aug-17
Cheesehead Mike 22-Aug-17
wyobullshooter 22-Aug-17
Bushwacker 22-Aug-17
Glunt@work 22-Aug-17
21-Aug-17
I am looking at buying one of these. I will admit, I know very little about different ATV's.

I want to buy one for an upcoming elk hunt. It will be a utility rig. I will use it to take me down roads/trails so I won't tear up my truck.

Anything specifically I should look at (Known issues, etc) Asking price is $2500 w/$3K miles.

Thanks in advance.

21-Aug-17
Easy riding trails yes. Rugged mountainous terrain you want something a little bigger. I had a Honda Rancher 400 and it was fine for the Northeast but probably not out there.

21-Aug-17
We used a Polaris 335 and a 700, also a Suzuki 400. All pulled us around OK but may need the carb rejetted for altitude.

21-Aug-17
I believe the arctic cat is at the bottom as far as reliability. Think dodge neon...

21-Aug-17
The size of it is fine. but, if it is a carb model, learn how to adjust it before you go.

Big atv's are no better suited for rock crawling than little ones. Often, they are more of a hindrance due to their size. That size atv will suit you well for removing gear and game. As well as doing what you described. God Bless

21-Aug-17
I packed a whole bull on a Honda 300, you'll be fine. Check altitude, I rejetted my Polaris going from 3500 to 10,000.

21-Aug-17
Can't speak for using a carb machine at altitude, but I can speak for Arctic Cat's reliability. I've owned Honda, switched to Arctic Cat with no regrets. Own a 2004 650 V-Twin and a 2005 400. My hunting buddy had a 500, upgraded to a 700 just because he's one of those 'bigger, badder, faster' kind of guys with no kids and money to spare. We hunt a 30,000 acre ranch south of San Antonio, nothing but thorns, cactus, and brush. We drive the Arctic Cats through all of it on a regular basis. Maintenance on them? Make sure you have plenty of run flat is the first thing. Other than that, we've changed the oil/filter and the batteries. Best riding atv I've driven and I've driven them all. Oh, I made the decision to switch from Honda to Arctic Cat after riding my brothers AC 500. I think his is a 2004 model, maybe 2013? His is still going strong and I don't believe he's ever had a mechanical issue with his and he takes his to Colorado every year for elk hunts.

22-Aug-17
Thanks for the input everyone.

I had a 4 wheeler lined up to borrow for this fall's hunt, but it is now in the shop. I am going to look at the Artic Cat tonight. I might have a line on a different 4 wheeler to borrow for my hunt. I am not terribly enthused about owning my own 4 wheeler, but this fall's hunt pretty much requires one. (I scouted it this summer and it has tons of roads/trails) Additionally, I will be hunting with a torn/flipped meniscus. (Surgery in Dec) so if I can reduce the # of miles on my knee, anything will help.

22-Aug-17
A 366 used to be a big ATV. Bigger ones have some advantages but anywhere a 300 won't go is probably somewhere it might be better hiking. I've taken an old 2wd 225cc Moto Four silly places.

22-Aug-17
If the AC has a manual tranny (gears) it will likely do OK in the mountains. My 2002 Honda Rancher 5 speed/electric shift (320 cc actual) ran circles around my 2004 Arctic Cat 400 with the "Snowmobile clutch w/Hi and Low". Ended up selling the AC to a friend that lived at lower elevation, as the AC, despite being jetted for altitude would power out (cease turning the wheels) on steep grades at 12,000' around Leadville. Damn scary to get it backed down the grade (or turned around) when it happened a few times. As mentioned the AC did ride very well with a plush seat, although it was a large and top heavy machine.

Anyway, good luck with it!

22-Aug-17
I have a 2008 Arctic Cat 700 EFI that I bought new. It's a very tough, powerful, fast, great riding ATV that has had very few mechanical issues. I believe the larger AC ATV's have the highest ground clearance on the market. I also used it out near Leadville at elevations over 11,000 feet. Due to the EFI I didn't have to make any adjustments and it performed very well with just the Hi/Low gearing.

22-Aug-17
Brian, I have a Kawasaki Prairie 360 and it is plenty big enough. As mentioned above, it has the advantage of getting in places a bigger atv has a hard time with. As also mentioned, I'd recommend getting it rejetted with a high altitude jet.

22-Aug-17
"If the AC has a manual tranny (gears) it will likely do OK in the mountains. My 2002 Honda Rancher 5 speed/electric shift (320 cc actual) ran circles around my 2008 Arctic Cat 400 with the "Snowmobile clutch w/Hi and Low". Ended up selling the AC to a friend that lived at lower elevation, as the AC, despite being jetted for altitude would power out (cease turning the wheels) on steep grades at 12,000' around Leadville. Damn scary to get it backed down the grade (or turned around) when it happened a few times. As mentioned the AC did ride very well with a plush seat, although it was a large and top heavy machine. "

I'd agree 100% with all these comments. I don't ride my AC's in the mountains, but I'd say the input about the manual gearing versus the drive belt driven auto tranny would be a big advantage on the steep grades. And the Hondas do sit lower, which again, on steep grades is a huge plus.

All good food for thought and I wish you the best.

22-Aug-17
Big altitude changes require jetting (carb models) and clutch weight changes if equipped with snowmobile style clutches to perform well.

• Sitka Gear