Well Worth It.
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
Bowriter 22-Aug-17
Rut Nut 22-Aug-17
22-Aug-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Bowriter's embedded Photo
I'll admit it. I was skeptical of all the Eclipse hype. But, I went. Along with about 1,200 close friends, some of whom I have never met or want to meet, I went to the lake and put my boat in along with the idiots. I went early, about 10:00, even caught a few fish and that surprised me. Then, at 11:30, I met up with some real friends in a cove we pretty much had to ourselves, mainly because you better know what you are doing or you are going to break something going in. Then, it began. Okay, ho-hum, shadow on the sun. Interesting, pass the pickles, please. As it progressed, I too started shooting pictures with a variety of cameras. Got the same totality shots everyone else got. And yes, it was something to see and yes, the hype was right on. It was an event to "make the list". I was especially intrigued by the actions of the water birds, especially the cormorants and swallows. But the "thing" that most caught my attention was the colorization just as the sun began to reappear. I have never seen anything like it and for some reason, it did not transfer to the camera. I reckon God has a secret color mixer. This picture was taken just as there was enough light to shoot the horizon and it doesn't come close to what it looked like. I believe this was taken at 1:41 pm.

22-Aug-17
I was at work and watched outside as everybody was looking up. You could not see the sun from inside, but you could see it get slightly darker at the peak. But this was in the Hudson Valley of NY where it was only 70% blocked.

I watched it on the evening news and have to admit it looked pretty cool.

I hear in 7 years it will happen again in Western PA up towards Buffalo NY. I may have to plan a trip to check it out. I have friends in Western PA and an Aunt that lives in Buffalo.

• Sitka Gear