Living vicariously through you elk......
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
bear bowman 22-Aug-17
Glunt@work 22-Aug-17
PECO 22-Aug-17
elkmtngear 22-Aug-17
Glunt@work 22-Aug-17
Charlie Rehor 22-Aug-17
Z Barebow 22-Aug-17
drycreek 22-Aug-17
rick allison 22-Aug-17
fisherick 22-Aug-17
bear bowman 23-Aug-17
cnelk 23-Aug-17
kadbow 23-Aug-17
Lark Bunting 23-Aug-17
DL 23-Aug-17
wildwilderness 24-Aug-17
SteveB 24-Aug-17
22-Aug-17
I live back east and it starts around this time every year. I see all of these beautiful photos of the land that you elk hunters out west get to hunt each year. Then the photos of the animals start to roll in and it gets me even more excited. Then I start watching videos on you tube and the like. One day I'll hopefully get to try my hand at hunting elk. Family obligations keep me from it right now but the kids are all in college now so in a few years money may not be such an issue. Good luck to all of you and please keep posting photos. Not to take anything from the whitetails I hunt, they are a blast. Elk just seem so majestic.

22-Aug-17

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Two guys can do a DIY elk hunt driving from PA for $1000.00 each if you skip hotels. Thats $84/mo in a jar to make it in 2018 or $42/mo for 2019. You don't need a bunch of specific gear or high priced stuff. Any avid whitetail hunter with some camping gear in the garage and a vehicle has everything they need.

Budget keeps me from doing all sorts of hunts I would like so trust me I get it. But, bowhunting elk hunting is something simply amazing and anyone toying with the idea should make a plan and do it. It may not always be this accessible and will likely never cost less.

22-Aug-17
Listening to bulls bugling while watching the morning sun light up the golden Aspens , with the crisp mountain air caressing your happy face. Nothing else like it, a great place to be.

22-Aug-17
Elk are majestic...they are also a$$holes...which is why I have no qualms about murdering them...especially after ten days of their abuse :^)

22-Aug-17
That was funny as hell :^)

22-Aug-17
Good for you tending to family obligations. Make a plan for as soon as possible. I'm on my way to Colorado right now so better late than never! Retirement, Everyday is Saturday:)

22-Aug-17
Watch the YouTube series of Randy Newberg and Corey Jacobsen in NM. You will witness the spectrum from PECO to elkmtngear!

22-Aug-17
Charlie is half right ! Every day is Saturday, but payday never comes ! :-)

I'm with you though bear, I'm doing the same thing. I love these elk threads, but I'm too old and fat to make it out of the parking area at elevation.

22-Aug-17
I too live "your" hunts. I love the stories and fondly recall my own pusuits when I had knees that could handle the tough mountain hunts.

Good on ya, mates! But...damn I sure do miss it...lol.

Go git em boys.....

22-Aug-17
Glunt has it right. It costs us $1500-1800 per trip from Boston. This includes- tags, airfare, SUV rental, 3-nights hotel, food, etc. You only live once and your not getting younger. Wish I started years earlier.

23-Aug-17
That's some food for thought. That'll be affordable for me soon enough. thanks guys

23-Aug-17
We have 6 trail cams 'simmering' over some dandy elk spots right now.

Come Saturday, a couple of them will be checked when we swing thru hunting the area. Some wont get checked for a couple ore weeks.

Ill give you a report next week

23-Aug-17

kadbow's embedded Photo
kadbow's embedded Photo
Heading up to my cabin on Friday, can't wait to start chasing elk. You can see my little cabin in the background. Usually have to hike a little further than this to get into the elk. Will hopefully have some stories to tell.

23-Aug-17
Some of us that live right here in CO but are new to elk hunting also live vicariously through many of these people. *grunblestoself* Three years in now and no dice but I get to do it again in a couple weeks! And for that I'm grateful!

23-Aug-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Elk are majestic...they are also a$$holes...which is why I have no qualms about murdering them...especially after ten days of their abuse :^)

They are all that. I especially found great satisfaction in taking a lead cow some years back. They are the queens of the jerk herd.

24-Aug-17

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Majestic, until you have to help a buddy pack his out a few miles!

24-Aug-17
I agree, keep the pictures coming! And good luck to all of you.

24-Aug-17

SteveB's embedded Photo
Hope he waits on me....Sept 15!
SteveB's embedded Photo
Hope he waits on me....Sept 15!
Hope you get to go soon! Here is a bull hitting water where I am headed in Arizona.

• Sitka Gear