GF 19-Sep-17
Michael Schwister 19-Sep-17
GF 19-Sep-17
Ollie 20-Sep-17
Buffalo1 20-Sep-17
kellyharris 20-Sep-17
Bowriter 21-Sep-17
19-Sep-17
Hey everyone, I have been lurking on this forum for a while, and I thought to ask a few questions, because I haven’t really been able to get some answers to some of them. And I know these are really basic questions, but, I hope some of you will be willing to help me answer some of them. I really want to get into a new sport and skill, and I thought that archery would be a great new step. But, to be honest, aside from thinking it is quite awesome, I really have no foundation about it, and I don’t really know that many people who are in this new sport as well. So, I have been doing some research on my own. Here are a few questions I have come up with: a. What are the differences between the recurve, longbow and composite? Why would one select one over the others? b. I want to shoot from a longer range that will measure up, at closest, 35ft. I have great eyesight, and I think I want to focus on accuracy from a good distance. c. Which of the bow brands can brave through bad weather conditions without getting destroyed? d. Also, what would be easy to carry and maneuver in a hunt? e. What would you recommend for bow string f. What is the best price to quality ratio? In fact, what is a good price range? g. Where can you suggest I go buy a bow, what stores have good prices on their bows and accessories? h. Are replacement parts easy to find? How often do you need replacement parts, and is it worth to get replacements rather than buy a new bow instead?

I want to get a good set-up, and I don’t think I could do with beginner bows. I’m looking to get into this game, and practice as much as I can, so I think a more mature bow can be suitable for me.

19-Sep-17
Hoyt bows is what I prefer. I like Goldtip arrows too

19-Sep-17
Find a good archery shop who can show you a recurve, longbow, & Compound. Join your local archery club. With those two resources, you'll likely find people that will be happy to show you the way to get involved in this great sport. Good Luck.

19-Sep-17
David, I am not sure where you are in Florida, but I would start at a Pro Shop (A Real Archery Shop) not a big box store. I lived in Orlando, and there was a couple shops within easy driving distance from me. Look up a local shop and go in and see what you like. They will let you shoot a few different types of bows, and then you will have a better idea of what you like. They will also make sure you get set up properly. You will get 10,000 different responses on here, and they are all good. It's all a matter of personal preference. You could also find a local 3-D shoot and go there just to look around and talk to folks, something may appeal to you more once you see it in action. I have Recurves and Compounds, I like mostly like Hoyt and Matthews for compounds, and Bear for Recurves.

Welcome to the wonderful world of archery and keep us posted!!!!

Good Luck and God Bless,

Scar.

19-Sep-17
As others have said, being new a pro shop is the best place to start. If you are wanting to be accurate quite quickly, a compound is the easiest to master, and also the most quickest, ie: most powerful. Most archery hunters use compounds. A "trad" or traditional bow such as a longbow and recurve generally require more time, and are much more difficult to tune.

As far as setups go, the market is mature enough that garbage no longer sells. Any new bow you find is a good bow, and what you buy boils down to personal preferance. Of all the features sought after in a bow, no bow is best in ALL categories, therefore you look at what is most important for you and go from there. Categories to keep in mind (not all encompassing or in any particular order) speed, hand shock, torquability, noise, aesthetics, weight, and tunability and size are among the things people think about most when buying. No one can tell you "this is the single best bow." Everyone has their own opinion, but it is up to you to decide what is best for you.

All major bow brands out there today are battle tested, and all will get the job done if you let them. Compounds are easiest to carry in my opinion despite being heavier. They are shorter and snag less in branches. You can come away with a very very good bow for $400-$500 especially if you shop used, or you can spend $1,800 on the latest greatest thing. The advantage to buying a good used outfit is it can often come with arrows and a quiver, and they are already the RIGHT arrows and quiver. (potentially)

Good luck and have fun! Before you buy, I'd go play a while, and shoot some different stuff.

19-Sep-17
Understand that the "PRO" at the pro shop is nothing more than a glorified sales clerk who has been taught to do minor work on bows. The very best thing to get is a mentor who has over 40 years experience, it will save time, money, and frustration. Best recommend I can give is to go on FB and the Professional Bowhunter Society (PBS) Page, and post your situation and what you are looking for, and where you live. Almost certain someone with 50 years experience lives nearby and will be extremely happy to help. As for me, bowhunting big game since 1973. I use both osage selfbows I make myself with primitive arrows, and more modern tradtional gear I tailor/assemble to my preferences. When I want to ensure best % for meat in the freezer I use a glass laminated hybrid longbow (aka semi recurve), heavy carbon arrows (10 grains per pound of draw weight) with large feathers full helical, and a cut on contact 3 blade BH like snuffer of Grizzly Instinct. Why? 43 years experience. Your results may vary,that is why a mentor is priceless. If you lived near me I would gladly help you get a great start at being a confident and successful hunter. There are a TON of other people who are the same, the PBS has the highest concentration that I am aware of.

19-Sep-17
Bowtech/fmj

19-Sep-17
Have you done any of your lurking over on the Leatherwall?? We've got Living Legends, world record holders, Olympic medalists, nationally-recognized target Archery coaches, former pro-shop owners, bowyers and a whole RAFT of thoroughlly opinionated amateurs just like me...

But these guys are right - as far as bows go, you have to go out of your way to find Junk. Carbon arrows are probably most popular, and most people using them have bought shafts that are much too stiff.

Main thing is, you've got a LONG list of questions and concerns and very few of them will make a dime's worth of difference unless you can convince yourself otherwise, and that effect will be temporary at best.

One thing that figured HUGELY, however, is the draw weight that you choose. You can talk yourself into a Man's Bow of #50 or more, in which case you will struggle long and hard, develop a host of bad habits, and get thoroughly discouraged.... OR you can start off at a weight that allows you to focus on developing good and consistent form. Only you can say what weight that is, but if you walk into a weight room, you don't start out with the same weights that the gym-rats are pushing, do you? And FWIW, I knew a guy who shot #80 on his compound, and he said a #35 recurve kicked his arse. So just buy a #30 and take a pen and make the 3 into an 8.

Hope to see you on Leatherwall.

19-Sep-17
I have been on the leatherwall from the very beginning. Although there are some who really know there stuff, I cannot recommend that crew as a whole. The very best have by and large been run off from there long ago. my 2 cents

19-Sep-17
Oh, that's right.... In addition to the Legends and Mentors, we've got a few grudge-bearing curmudgeons!

20-Sep-17
You sound pretty green when it comes to archery. Your best bet is to find a local club where you can learn from others and try out different gear until you find what is right for you. You really need a mentor to help guide you. Traditional Bowhunters of Florida is a very good group to join if you have an interest in recurve and/or longbows. They sponsor 3-D shoots as well as social events.

20-Sep-17
Find a good, reputable bow shop and seek some advice and shoot some bows.

Find a bow that is comfortable and affordable for YOU. Once you do that you are well on your way to putting a good hunting rig together that you will have confidence in and can perform with in a hunting situation. Also, get involved with 3-D shoots during this off season; this will also help you grow with the sport.

Best of luck

20-Sep-17
Where do you live at in Florida?

21-Sep-17
David-Let me simplify things tremendously, for you. Forget brand names and endorsements. The best bow you will ever shoot is the bow you shoot the best. The best arrow is the arrow you and that bow shoot the best. Find a store that will let you shoot a lot of different bows-pick the one you like the best. Pay no attention to the brand name or what some famous TV start says. My favorite bow was one few ever heard of and I got my bows free, could shoot any one on the market.

• Sitka Gear